Blank-133x176
The Kills

Linda Fairstein

The Kills (Alexandra Cooper #6)

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  2,855 ratings  ·  75 reviews
"It's going to be a tough trial. Manhattan sex-crimes prosecutor Alexandra Cooper's case, involving an attack on investment banker Paige Vallis, would be difficult to prove even without the latest development - it seems that Paige has something to hide." "Most of her story is clear. She'd had dinner with New York consultant Andrew Tripping three times before the March even...more
Published 2006 (first published January 1st 2004)

Farah Xuxa
Can't say it was really breathtaking. The plot twists were awesome but I guess there was too much going on to get a quick grasp of what was at hand. I think it would have been a better experience for me if I have read a book from the Alexandra Cooper series. Would be very impressed with this book if she wasn't a former prosecutor; would mean that she really did her research. But alas, she is a former prosecutor, which gave the book a mature voice, something that is a little unbecoming for new re...more
Lori
Having read several of Fairstein's "Alexandra Cooper" mystery thrillers I am happy to say that I am glad I read the abridged audio version of this novel because I could not imagine it being any drawnout. While I did like two different plot mysteries going on at the same time, I can't say I was thrilled with the story in its entirety. After reading several of Elizabeth Lowell's novels on antiquities and provenance I can't say that this novel measured up to Lowell's in that sense as Fairstein trie...more
Andrea
Interesting plot twists.

Alex Cooper is prosecuting a classic rape case ("he said..she said"), complicated by the presence of the accused rapist's son at the home at the time of the "alleged" rape. The incarceration of the accused causes a child welfare problem as the young boy's mother is deceased, and his grandmother who was his primary care provider had recently died. Alex wants the accused held without bail but it isn't happening. The judge appears to participate in ex-parte communications wi...more
Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo
Double entendre is a skill that Linda Fairstein excels in her Alexandra Cooper Series. Here in the 6th installment, THE KILLS, the title refers to the name that NYC homicide detectives commonly call murders and The Kills are a warren of tributaries between the small islands off the toe of Manhattan Island.
Prosecutor Alex Cooper isn’t thrilled with the way her date rape case begins.
“Murder. You should have charged the defendant with murder.”
“He didn’t kill anyone, Your Honor.” Not yet. Not tha...more
Carol
It's going to be a tough trial. Alexandra Cooper's case, involving an attack on investment banker Paige Vallis, would be difficult to prove even without the latest development -- it seems that Paige has something to hide.

Most of her story is clear. She'd had dinner witch Andrew Tripping three times before she accepted his invitation to accompany him to his apartment. But what occurred that night? Why didn't she leave the apartment when he started to act strangely? What about Tripping's little bo...more
Joy
It's going to be a tough trial. Manhattan sex-crimes prosecutor Alexandra Cooper's case, involving an attack on investment banker Paige Vallis, would be difficult to prove even without the latest development -- it seems that Paige has something to hide.

Most of her story is clear. She'd had dinner with New York consultant Andrew Tripping three times before the March evening when she accepted his invitation to accompany him to his apartment. But what occurred that night? Why didn't she leave the...more
Linda
Assistant Manhattan DA Alex Cooper has her hands full, prosecuting a rape case in which there is very little evidence. Things are looking dim, then even dimmer when her plaintiff is murdered for no apparent reason. Concurrently, an elderly, once famous dancer during the Harlem Renaissance era is also killed. The rest of the plot centers upon the melding of these two crimes into a single case. The characters are a motley mix, not all of whom have an active role; these include Egypt's deposed King...more
Zach
Recommend Linda Scottoline.

Hard not to compare the Alex Cooper series to Scottoline's books, but it highlights why I do not like this series as much. Scottoline's books have much more clear/interesting characters. The characters here are somewhat bland and interchangable. Even the heroine is kind of blah.

The plots are also either somewhat predictable or overly complicated. Here there is a stretch to bring in Egyptian history and the current activities of intelligence agencies as well as sex cr...more
Jeff Dickison
Good Alexandra Cooper entry. In this tale Alex is prosecuting a difficult to win rape case that soon turns into murder and the theft or rare coins that once belonged to King Farouk. Well written, the story moves quickly, and has plenty of adventure. Recommend to fans of Fairstein.
Darren L.
Linda Fairstein, no doubt, has the ability to write with authority about New York's upper echelon. But her novels really shine for me when she ditches the "Dynasty" settings of billionaires and tells the horror of urban life for average folks. That setting brings out a stark and gritty reality that she captures with flair -- dark and brutal without being melodramatic or fake. This is my sixth or seventh novel of hers, and my favorite. There are things I could poke (every novel has something one...more
Charlotte (Buried in Books)
The Alex Cooper books will never set the world on fire. If you want gritty, real life crime stories then look somewhere else. These are all set in places like museums, art galleries. This one involves rare coins.

It was OK, I found myself asking why I was reading these books when I got to the end. I swear I will scream if she has to re-tell the story about her old fiance one more time (yes I realise not everyone has read all of the books so she has to re-cap, but even patrica cornwell can dress t...more
Barbara
This is a rather pedestrian book by former attorney Linda Fairstein. Her heroine is Alexandra Cooper who, like Fairstein, works in Sex Crimes. She is prosecuting a schizophrenic, Andrew Tripping, for the rape of an investment banker, Paige Vallis. However, when Tripping's son disappears and Paige is murdered, the tension begins to mount. The plot involves the sale (and theft) of rare coins and there's a lot of detail here, but it detracts from the overall plot of the story. There's great banter...more
Moc Nguyen
Linda Fairstein's thriller novel 'The Kills' is the sixth novel in the Alex Cooper series and examines the connections between several murders in hopes of finding a culprit. The story, in my opinion was absolutely fantastic for its originality but also the likeable and readily accessible nature of Fairstein's characters.
She develops a storyline that intricately ties several cases into one and involves many unexpected twists, to which I had thoroughly enjoyed. I recommend to anyone who is a fan o...more
Holger  C Andersen
My edition has close to 500 pages, and thats a lot.
The book contains so many details about places and characters that I really had to pay attention to follow the developement in the book.
-Now, who is this person, I would ask myself from time to time?
Sometimes I had to reread pages to get back on the track again.
The book would have been better and sharper, if she had left out some of the details.
Now I know the style of Farstein, so its likely I will give her a second chance.
Richard Brand
Same old characters and they play their same roles and share the same old passion. All the familiar locations are brought into play, but this one did not do it for me. Either it was too much CIA, Secret Service, too many long myths, too much of too much, or something, but I was not excited or interested in this one. But I will not give up. I will read some other stories by other writers for a while and come back later. Tony Hillermann may be next.
Amy
CD/abridged/Suspense: Book 6 of the Alexandra Cooper Series. I've listened to Cold Hit and while I really liked it, I remembered the Jeopardy part the most.
What I like the most about this one was that I learned something. In this book, you learn about King Farouk and his love of collecting things, expensive things. Yes there's a murder and yes, Alex is in danger, but I it was a enjoyable listen. Blair Brown does a great job narrating.
Julie Horner
I could not put this one down! Loved the American Currency history...here in the states and abroad. However, upon reaching the last chapter and seeing which way this was going, I was not too happy. I had thought that the other "guy" should have been the killer, but Linda went with someone else and I found that disturbing. HOWEVER, this was a wonderful read and the ending has grown on me (some).
Kaye
Starts with a date rape heading to trial with a judge who is old school and would rather deal with more concrete crimes like murder. Goes on to a death of a woman in Harlem who once was the mistress of the King of Egypt. it was a complicated story with lots of coincidences. An okay adventure but I found that as soon as I had finished it I really couldn't remember the details.
Leslie
Fairstein is a always superb. As always.
Lisa Bennett
A good book, good story, but there is so much going on with this story, that i found myself getting confused with who knew who, who killed who, and how everyone was connected in the end. Too many characters, it got really confusing, which makes for a bad story. If there wasn't so much going on, it would have been a bit easier to follow.
Maureen
This woman railroaded The Central Park Five and she is just able to walk away and have a successful career as an author (I use that term loosely)? She also will delete anything you post on her FB page asking about her part in this outrageous miscarriage of justice. Reader beware.
Macjest
I have more of an understanding about the relationship between the two main characters Alex and Mike now. I had commented in an earlier reading that I didn't always care for their bickering. I see now that that is how they are. He keeps things from getting too serious.
Melissa
Book #4 read in 2013

This book was much better than the last in the series. While Fairstein still feels the need to be educator, I didn't feel so hit over the head with a lecture. Alex was more in her element as a prosecutor. And I still love the supporting cast!
Tracy Champagne
I wasn't sure if I would like this book initially, but it turned out to be much better than expected. Of course I am a history buff, so adding history into the mix suckered me right in. I would definitely read more by Linda Fairstein in the future.
Valerie
Not bad, but a usual murder mystery. This was an easy read, but I wasn't blown away at the story/ending. As a matter of fact, I was able to figure it out before it was done, and I didn't have that deep sigh of "wow that was a great book" at the end. Eh...
Angie crosby
Another Alex Cooper book. Good book but not as good as the others i've read so far. I think it was that there were coins involved and stuff about that bores me. Still a well written good book. Not one I'd bother owning or will read again.
Rachel
Super intricate plot but pulled together nicely in the end. Alex is a lawyer, but the story didn't get stuck in legal minutiae that would take away from the suspense and mystery. I couldn't stop reading. It was fabulous. I loved the history.
Melanie
Sex crimes prosecutor, Alex Cooper, investigates the rape and eventual murder of a woman involved with the lost treasures of ex-Egyptian king farouk. Not the strongest story in the series but a good read and continuation of the story.
Amy
This plot left me feeling that I couldn't solve the mystery on my own. Somewhat confusing at times, but still a good murder mystery that leads to a part of the river (always in NYC) where bodies are always found, known as The Kills.
  • Rough Justice (Rosato & Associates, #3)
  • Street Dreams (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #15)
  • Twisted (Petra Connor, #2)
  • 'Til Death Do Us Part (Bailey Weggins Mystery, #3)
  • Move to Strike
  • Long Time Gone (J.P. Beaumont, #17)
  • The Sugar House (Tess Monaghan #5)
  • Sleeping Beauty
  • Undue Influence (Paul Madriani, #3)
Linda Fairstein (born 1947) is one of America's foremost legal experts on crimes of violence against women and children. She served as head of the sex crimes unit of the Manhattan District Attorney's office from 1976 until 2002 and is the author of a series of novels featuring Manhattan prosecutor Alexandra Cooper. Ms. Fairstein is married to Justin N. Feldman, retired counsel to the New York offi...more
More about Linda Fairstein...
Final Jeopardy (Alexandra Cooper, #1) Hell Gate (Alexandra Cooper, #12) Likely To Die (Alexandra Cooper, #2) Silent Mercy (Alexandra Cooper, #13) Entombed (Alexandra Cooper, #7)