Start by marking “Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil: An Adventure taking Characters From 4th to 14th Level (Dungeons & Dragons Adventure)” as Want to Read:

"The Temple of Elemental Evil" is one of the most well-remembered adventure series from the early days of the "Dungeons & Dragons" roleplaying game. Now, veteran designer Monte Cook revisits this legendary setting in an all-new adventure written for the" D&D(r)" game. Players will enjoy countless hours of play as they race against an evil band of priests attempting ...more
Published June 1st 2001 by Wizards of the Coast

To ask other readers questions about Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil

Psychophant
Jun 11, 2009 Psychophant rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, rpg, reviewed
This was the first adventure I got for the then new 3rd Edition D&D game. I had not played the original 1st Edition module, but as many others I made some early forays into the Moathouse in the early 80s.

This is an excellent module both by its scope, filling a whole campaign, and by its detail, requiring minimal work to make it playable. It also recovers the adventure spirit of the 80s, as intended, but that also becomes its main weakness, being concerned more with the evil guys hierarchy an
Caleb Wachter
Jul 05, 2013 Caleb Wachter rated it liked it
I'm glad I bought this, but I've never actually run anyone through it. There's good material here, but as I read and re-read this clearly well-designed and detailed module, I kind of got the feeling like one does when watching fifty year old movies and not quite appreciating what everyone else purports to see in them. In the end, I chalked it up to a case of 'You had to be there to understand.'

Still, as I said I am glad that I bought this book, but I don't foresee using more than snippets in my
Dan
Jun 24, 2014 Dan rated it really liked it
Shelves: signal
This was fun but it required heavy editing to be a playable adventure. The early bits were sort of missing a motive for the cultists to be poking around at the moathouse; with my group we improvised that they were retrieving the lost Water Orb. The later bits climbed too high in difficulty, too quickly. I tried to roll with it by handing out extra experience, but really a better solution would have been to rewrite and decrease the level of the later stuff.
James Bowman
Sep 04, 2015 James Bowman rated it liked it
Shelves: owned, rpg, dnd
A very well written adventure, but very basic in its parameters. Lots of random monster encounters and battles with thugs/evil priests/etc., but light on puzzle-solving and plot and character interaction. As a super-sized dungeon crawl, it hits all the right notes, but as a story I was hoping for more.
Andrew19
Andrew19 rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2012
Dale Donovan
Dale Donovan rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2014
Ingrid
Ingrid rated it really liked it
May 03, 2016
Jason Payne
Jason Payne rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2008
Retoriplastique
Retoriplastique rated it really liked it
Jul 07, 2011
Björn Boots
Björn Boots rated it liked it
Aug 25, 2011
Pôl
Pôl rated it liked it
Apr 24, 2008
Thomas Verschueren
Thomas Verschueren rated it it was amazing
Mar 20, 2011
Lucius Schlusemeyer
Lucius Schlusemeyer rated it it was amazing
May 10, 2015
Ms. J Johnson
Ms. J Johnson rated it liked it
Feb 06, 2008
Jacob Possin
Jacob Possin rated it liked it
Feb 26, 2013
Derek Harris
Derek Harris rated it it was ok
Jul 25, 2008
Le
Le rated it really liked it
Dec 21, 2008
John Feil
John Feil rated it really liked it
Nov 25, 2013
Don Dailey
Don Dailey rated it it was amazing
Mar 22, 2015
Zander Catta
Zander Catta rated it it was amazing
Aug 17, 2016
Eric Johnson
Eric Johnson rated it it was amazing
May 10, 2014
Christopher Perry
Christopher Perry rated it liked it
Nov 10, 2015
Eric
Eric rated it it was ok
Nov 29, 2011
Daniel A.
Daniel A. rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2013
That
That rated it it was amazing
Mar 31, 2016
Scott Andrews
Scott Andrews rated it really liked it
Mar 28, 2013
Justin
Justin rated it liked it
Jan 06, 2016
Rob
Rob rated it really liked it
Apr 23, 2008
Jeremy
Jeremy rated it did not like it
Jan 03, 2016
Tim
Tim rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 next »
The game designer
Monte Cook started working professionally in the game industry in 1988. In the employ of Iron Crown Enterprises, he worked with the Rolemaster and Champions games as an editor, developer, and designer. In 1994, Monte came to TSR, Inc., as a game designer and wrote for the Planescape and core D&D lines. When that company was purchased by Wizards of the Coast, he moved to the
More about Monte Cook...