Forensics: A Guide for Writers

Forensics: A Guide for Writers

4.34 of 5 stars 4.34  ·  rating details  ·  106 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Just because you don't have all the tools and training of a full-time medical examiner doesn't mean you can't learn your way around a crime scene.

In "Forensics," award-winning author and TV show consultant D.P. Lyle, M.D., takes each area of forensics--from fingerprint analysis to crime scene reconstruction--and discusses its development, how the science works, how it help...more
Published April 4th 2008 by Writer's Digest Books

Debbie
"Howdunit: Forensics" is a basic course in forensics. Though the subtitle says it's a guide for writers, there's a lot more information in it than an author could use in a novel without bogging the action down (though I do highly recommend they read this!). It's actually a book for anyone interested in learning the basics of forensics. It doesn't say things like, "In your novel, you could do this..." but simply gives real life examples of how everything works or how real criminals act.

The book w...more
Gwen Hankins
Sep 29, 2012 Gwen Hankins rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: crime, mystery, thriller, sci-fi writers
Recommended to Gwen by: search engine lol
Shelves: writing-books
This book should be in every writers' case of "tools". Mystery,thriller,and crime novelists are not the only type of writer who could and should use this book. Why?

Besides covering every detail of a crime and all the branches of Forensics in way that would be useful for a writer--television shows like CSI, NCIS, Burn Notice, all the crime and some medical shows present the viewer that every crime lab has all the resources shown on the television screen and it is assumed that your crime lab would...more
Betsy Ashton
If you are interested in learning more about forensics beyond what you see on CSI and Law and Order, this is the book for you. Dr. Lyle explains complex details of all topics that fall under the broad rubric of forensics in simple terms. If you are a writer who touches on any of the standard crime topics, motive, means, DNA, blood splatter, etc., this book should be on your shelf. After you've read it cover to cover.
Deanna Knippling
Not knowing a lot about forensics, I can't say whether this book is a) accurate or b) thorough. However, gave me some story ideas and did spend some time on how forensics was handled through the years, so I could extrapolate a reasonable investigation in, say, 15th-century China, if I wanted to. Good enough for me :) The lack of fifth star came from the poor editing, though. Not atrocious, just...surprisingly poor.
Ever watched an episode of CSI and been fascinated by what they say? This is ALL of that. It explains rather difficult concepts and even has diagrams that seem like they should belong in a criminal justice textbook. I'm sure you can BS a lot of details and have it pass, but if you want to make sure your stuff is medically sound, seriously check out this book.
rabbitprincess
Dec 14, 2010 rabbitprincess marked it as to-read
Shelves: non-fiction
I keep seeing this at Chapters when I go browsing, and one of these days I shall actually buy it. Not that I really intend to write murder mysteries, but it looks like a really good reference book (and I do love me some forensics).
Meg
One of three books of an amazing series that I hope will have further volumes. It's very handy to use a reference book as a writer and it's pretty fascinating just for reading as well.
Heather
Fun little reference book. Some interesting points in here. I do not use it for a career, but I got it for enjoyment and it has given me that.
Dawn Turner
Fabulously helpful book for authors who need this sort of research material.
Oubadah
Oubadah marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2014
Carol B
Carol B marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
Ellen Seltz
Ellen Seltz marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
Vivian Wolkoff
Vivian Wolkoff marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2014
Amy (Demonkittie)
Amy (Demonkittie) marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2014
Megan
Megan is currently reading it
Mar 30, 2014
chelle
chelle marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2014
Raven Hymn
Raven Hymn marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2014
Rambler
Rambler marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2014
Heather
Heather is currently reading it
Mar 22, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2014
Julia
Julia marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2014
Jim placzkiewicz
Jim placzkiewicz marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2014
Zachary Harless
Zachary Harless marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Police Procedure & Investigation: A Guide for Writers (Howdunit )
  • Book of Poisons: A Guide for Writers
  • Body Trauma: A Writer's Guide to Wounds and Injuries
  • Cause of Death: A Writer's Guide to Death, Murder, and Forensic Medicine
  • Bullies, Bastards and Bitches: How to Write the Bad Guys of Fiction
  • Descriptionary: A Thematic Dictionary
  • Story Structure Architect: A Writer's Guide to Building Dramatic Situations and Compelling Characters
  • The Writer's Guide to Psychology: How to Write Accurately about Psychological Disorders, Clinical Treatment and Human Behavior
  • The Writer's Guide to Character Traits: Includes Profiles of Human Behaviors and Personality Types
  • The Writer's Digest Character Naming Sourcebook
  • 20 Master Plots: And How to Build Them
  • Revision & Self-Editing: Techniques for Transforming Your First Draft Into a Finished Novel
  • Writing the Paranormal Novel: Techniques and Exercises for Weaving Supernatural Elements Into Your Story.
  • World-Building
  • Description & Setting
  • Writing Dialogue
  • Complete Writer's Guide to Heroes and Heroines: Sixteen Master Archetypes
  • Wired for Story: The Writer's Guide to Using Brain Science to Hook Readers from the Very First Sentence
Forensics for Dummies Stress Fracture Forensics and Fiction: Clever, Intriguing, and Downright Odd Questions from Crime Writers Murder and Mayhem: A Doctor Answers Medical and Forensic Questions for Mystery Writers More Forensics and Fiction: Crime Writers' Morbidly Curious Questions Expertly Answered