Start by marking “Elemental: The Tsunami Relief Anthology: Stories of Science Fiction and Fantasy” as Want to Read:
Elemental: The Tsunami  Relief Anthology: Stories of Science Fiction and Fantasy

Elemental: The Tsunami Relief Anthology: Stories of Science Fiction and Fantasy

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  113 ratings  ·  15 reviews
In the winter of 2005, after the horrifying natural disaster of the tsunami in Southeast Asia, Steve Savile and Alethea Kontis joined forces to raise money to help the distressed survivors and have created Elemental. They solicited SF and fantasy stories, all new and never published elsewhere, from many of the top writers in the genres today, and received immediate respons ...more
Published May 16th 2006 by Tor Books (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Elemental, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Elemental

Miriam
My favorites, in no particular order:

Joe Haldeman's previously unpublished early "Expedition, with Recipes" about a band of children struggle to find food in a post-apocalytic ruin. (His explanation of how he wrote it was also amusing.)

Eric Nylund's "Butterflies like Jewels" reminded of fantasy from an earlier era (the 1920s? Not sure).

Lynn Flewelling's "Perfection" is remarkably interesting for a story with no action. An old lady architect builds her last and greatest palace.

Nina Hoffman's "S
Amanda
Wow! The stories in this book are very, very good. I'm generally not a big fan of science fiction, but only a couple of these short stories were really what I consider to be "science fiction." I honestly liked almost every singe story in the book, but some of them were absolutely amazing. Some made me laugh out loud (which takes a lot--usually reading only provokes me to smile or chuckle, not actually laugh) and some made me tear up. Excellent, excellent writing!
Tamara
This is a great collection of SF/fantasy short stories. And that proceeds helped victims of the Indonesian tsunami is good, too. There were only one or two stories of the whole anthology that I didn't like. A good mix and just the right length to squeeze in a tale or two on break.
Stefanie
I've been procrastinating on writing this review because I wanted to address each story individually, and that would take time, and I never have time anymore. Okay, that isn't strictly true, I have lots of time, I just spend most of it these days playing CivV. Like I literally cannot stop. But enough of that.

Though not every story in this anthology was a hit for me, I thought it was very well edited. The collection is eclectic at best- it's more like a random hodge-podge of modern fiction. Some
Natalie Williams
Really enjoyed some top-notch stories by a good number of story-tellers . . . great way to find out who's work you may want to read more of.
Patrice
The Wager :(
Expedition, with Recipes :(
Tough Love :/
Chanting the Violet Dog Town: A Tale of Noreela :/
Butterflies Like Jewels :)
Perfection :)
The Compound :(
Sea Child: A Tale of Dune :(
Moebius Trip :(
The Run to Hardscrabble Station :(
The Last Mortal Man :)
The Double E
Jacqueline
I purchased this book solely for the short story, The Wager. I'm a completest when it comes to collecting all works by Sherrilyn Kenyon, and found the very short story about Thomas Malory - the author of the Arthurian tales - very fun! I adored how Sherri worked this in as an interesting tidbit, and I'm extremely curious as to whether or not Thomas will come into play in a later book.

As for the other stories, I might one day read them, but I have no immediate plans to do so. I rate this book 5
Megan
I enjoyed this collection but unfortunately too many of the stories were set in universes already explored in other books for me to enjoy them. I find it really difficult to read a story set alongside other books I haven't read, because I feel as though I'm missing something. I had to skip those, but luckily there were enough self-contained stories to keep me interested during the long process of moving. It made for a great book to read during short breaks of lugging boxes and furniture.
Lauren
An anthology of stories, I could pick and choose which to read and which I didn't. I chose to read all of them and found that I liked some more than others, as one would expect. Several of the stories took a while to get through, not because of the slightly longer length (which some were a great deal longer than others), but more because the premise of the story didn't really appeal to me, such as war-time. And so, I give this book 4 stars.
Cindy
Various authors contributed to this benefit anthology. Unfortunately some of the stories seemed to be dug out of a drawer rather than responding thematically to the disaster. My favorites were the first and the last stories and I found some new authors of interest. I only gave up on one story (I'm not a fan of detailed military campaigns) I was reminded of how much I like Nina Kiriki Hoffman.
Cindywho
Deidre
I know this was done for Tsunami Relief, but the stories were a complete mish-mash. Some I couldn't read, others I couldn't stop reading. They seemed to get better towards the end and Sea Air by Niki Kiriki Hoffman was among the best. I have not read her, but now I will. That one was a 5
Fury13
Only read:

The Wager by Sherrilyn Kenyon
Kevin Gallan
Jan 30, 2011 Kevin Gallan marked it as to-read
36/380
Cary
Cary marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2015
Karis
Karis marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2015
Beatrix
Beatrix marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
Sandra Cashion
Sandra Cashion marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
Catherine Johnson
Catherine Johnson marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2015
Elsa
Elsa marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: Twenty-Fifth Annual Collection
  • A Pirate of Her Own (Sea Wolves, #2)
  • Marrying the Marquis (Flambeau Sisters, #3)(The Kazanovs, #7)
  • The Starry Rift: Tales of New Tomorrows
  • The Solaris Book of New Science Fiction
  • The Chains That You Refuse
  • Masterpieces of Fantasy and Wonder
  • The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror: Thirteenth Annual Collection
  • Treachery and Treason
  • The Destroyer (Viking Warriors #4)
  • Gateways
  • The Mammoth Book of Golden Age Science Fiction: Ten Classic Stories from the Birth of Modern Science Fiction Writing
  • Fast Forward
Steven Savile (born October 12, 1969, in Newcastle, England) is a British fantasy, horror and thriller writer, and editor living in Stockholm, Sweden. His published work includes novels and numerous short stories in magazines and anthologies.
More about Steven Savile...
Vampire Wars (Von Carstein, #1-3) Silver (Ogmios Team Adventure #1) Torchwood: Hidden Inheritance (Warhammer) (Von Carstein, #1) Hallowed Ground