Start by marking “Mates, Dates, and Great Escapes (Mates, Dates, #9)” as Want to Read:
Mates, Dates, and Great Escapes (Mates, Dates, #9)

Mates, Dates, and Great Escapes (Mates, Dates #9)

3.85  ·  Rating Details ·  2,533 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
“Do you think that room service will deliver chocolate?” asked Izzie, who was on her knees on the floor with her face in the minibar. “We’re all out here.”

“Yeah,” said T.J. “Who needs boys when you can have chocolate?”

“Ah, but they come in handy when we haven’t any,” said Nesta. “Let’s call the boys in their rooms. Maybe they haven’t eaten their supplies.”

A school trip to
Published May 31st 2005 by Simon Pulse (first published July 30th 2004)

The Truth About Forever by Sarah DessenJust Listen by Sarah DessenThe Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants by Ann BrasharesAnna and the French Kiss by Stephanie PerkinsLock and Key by Sarah Dessen
Best YA Chicklit
402nd out of 570 books — 1,167 voters
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisThe Horse and His Boy by C.S. LewisThe Last Battle by C.S. LewisThe Silver Chair by C.S. LewisThe Magician's Nephew by C.S. Lewis
Best Books for 9-Year-Olds
36th out of 43 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Angie Vargas
Sep 02, 2009 Angie Vargas rated it really liked it
What I learned about this book is that you & a guy can make the the cutest couple, but you really have to know what kind of guy you're dealing with as a a boyfriend. Some things you have to figure out is if they know how to treat a girl right? Do they take the truths to the bad or good side? Do they play with girls' feelings? Things like that. I even find Lucy & Tony the cutest couple because they used to take care of each other so well, it looked like they were never to break up. But th ...more
Lauren Bowling
Jul 31, 2011 Lauren Bowling rated it really liked it
Katie and Kirsten
Feb 22, 2009 Katie and Kirsten rated it it was amazing
This book is about Lucy who finds out the true meaning to romance.
Mina Rivera
Oct 24, 2010 Mina Rivera rated it it was amazing
I thought this book was a good teen book. i think this is deffinetly more for girls than boys. i think there is a cute little romance in the story that can keep the romance readers wanting more. i think this book is deffinetly not boring. it has cute little cliff hangers. the way the author made the girls sound was kind of cute too. you can kind of invision how the girls are talking and acting. the author describes the girls well and puts the characters perspective in a way that a teenager woul ...more
Matilda Krinks
Dec 19, 2013 Matilda Krinks rated it really liked it

Great Escapes is probably my favorite book out of the Mates, Dates series. The book covers some quite sensitive subjects, such as sex and teenage love, very well, whilst still keeping it relate-able to the people reading the books.

Great Escapes has also got very good character plot and development.
It is narrated by Lucy, who is the 'younger' one of the group. She is considered 'a late bloomer', as she is much smaller and less developed than Tj, Izzy and Nesta. However, she seems to be the first
Amanda Yeargin
I read Mates, Dates, and Great Escapes as an IR book. This book was about Lucy forgetting about Tony. It;s been a roller coaster with them but finally Lucy says she doesn't want to take it to the next level so they just go apart. To forget about him she goes to the Italy with her friends an class. There she meets an American boy Teddy, she totally likes him. But because of teddy is she going to forget Tony?
I have a text-to-self connection. It sort of connects because i would like to visit Ital
Kayla
Nov 06, 2015 Kayla rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
What's worth noting:

First of all, I didn't realize that this book was part of a series, at all. So, it's safe to say that it's not absolutely necessary to read them in order. Second, it really reminded me of Confessions of Georgia Nicolson; there is even a reference to a number on a certain snogging scale. Third, the audio, while girly, British, and humorous, is not distinctively voiced; from what I can remember, the boys sounded like girls, so I'd skip it, in favor of the print version.

Recomme
Katlyn
May 02, 2016 Katlyn rated it really liked it
This one was much better than the last couple of Mates, Dates I read! I loved the descriptions of Florence. It reminded me of the Lizzie McGuire movie kinda, except not nearly as adorable. 3.5/5
Hannah
Jun 21, 2015 Hannah rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Teenage girls
J'ADORE !!! i really love this story i started reading it on holiday and what was weired is it was my first time on a plane too, so it was great to be able to relate to the book quite litterlay! I think the plot line is brilliant and makes a great story to read espically for teenagers. I have also read the mates, dates secret story if you want to get an idea about what tony is going through during this part of the story i really recommend that book to. Over all such a great book and i extremly r ...more
Whitney
Jul 15, 2010 Whitney marked it as to-read
Shelves: my-shelve
In this book i learn that lucy is going on a school trip to Florence and for here it seem like a good and perfect way to escape because here boy friend tony is pressuring her to take there relationship further.But in italy she meets an American boy and thinks he might be the ideal way to get over tony.The hole thing is that this guy seems to be the perfect gentleman, and italy introduces lucy to a world of culture and sophistication.Will she be able to move on from tony or will she have to tell ...more
Sierra Lawrence
Mar 08, 2014 Sierra Lawrence rated it really liked it
Cute and witty series
Jennie
Aug 07, 2007 Jennie rated it really liked it
We're back to Lucy's POV and everyone's going on the school holiday to Italy except for her, because her family doesn't have a lot of extra money for such things. But then some extra money comes into the picture and she gets to go too! And just in the nick of time, because she and Tony are definetely OFF. And Lucy meets a hott American and maybe things will get better? This one's not preachy and fun, because it's the girls running around in Italy. Also, I really like how Lucy can finally afford ...more
Kai Yi
Jun 01, 2008 Kai Yi rated it it was amazing
this book is base on lucy's point of view. her mates are going to Italy, but her parents doesn't have enough money for her. but then her little brother got money because he helped out an old lady and she passed away so get the inheritance of her money. in Italy she had a great time, but then she meet this hot American guy, now she will have to choose between tony, her boyfriend and this new hottie. which one is meant for her, this is what she is asking herself. decision is very hard for her.
Louise
Jul 22, 2011 Louise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Girls 11-15
Rigtig god serie for teenagepiger fra 10-11 år.
Udover at være sjove, synes jeg de har en god indfaldsvinkel til "almindelige teenageres problemer", så det handler om at sætte sine egne grænser, og om forhold til familie, skole, egen krop, veninder og kærester.
Det fungerer fint, at de fire meget forskellige veninder ser tingene på hver deres måde.
Jeg synes serien har god substans, udover at være let og underholdende.
Victoria
Jan 08, 2015 Victoria added it
Shelves: mates-dates
Katrina Knittle
Dec 13, 2013 Katrina Knittle rated it liked it
I thought this was a decent book from the series. Many things happen and you follow the characters on adventures. Not a boring book. I hated the little cliffhangers here and there. But that is a definitely a way to keep me interested in a book.
Apr 14, 2009 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Lucy breaks up with her boyfriend Tony, Nesta's older brother. Tony wants to do it with Lucy, but she just isn't ready so Tony breaks up with her. Lucy goes to Florence with her friends to get over Tony, and fina a new love.
Erin
Aug 08, 2010 Erin rated it really liked it
I love the character Tony in this book. I don't like him at some parts but then after he messes up and all he'll do somthing really sweet that makes you say "Awwwww" without even meanign too. Good book. Fun read. 4 Stars.
Eryn
Jul 28, 2008 Eryn added it
Oh my gosh!!!! I loved this book! I was into this book so much i felt like i was there! This is about a girl who doesnt know what to do about her boyfriend so she goes on a trip and meets an awesome guy for her.
Janne
Oct 13, 2012 Janne rated it it was amazing
Very funny! I can relate to every character in the story. Each character has their own love story. But more than that, it is about family, school problems, friendship, everything about life.
Veronica Widya
Nov 04, 2008 Veronica Widya rated it liked it
Shelves: teen-lit
Im reading this when im still junior high. seriously.Long time agoo!! lol
hmm, im not too remember the story.But i just know, this story is funny and nice for teenager! :D
Zulekha
Mar 22, 2012 Zulekha rated it liked it
I love the American boy and his awesome limousine, now Tony has some competition and hot competition indeed. In my opinion American boy wins though, Lucy suits him!
Zoe George
Nov 17, 2012 Zoe George rated it really liked it
Loved this girly book, it cheered me up a lot with its funny story and the bonds of a very strong friendship!! also its main theme.... BOYS!!! ;)
Sophie
Aug 20, 2010 Sophie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There is no way I could have managed the horrible teenage years without this series! I read it multiple times!!
Kluv
Dec 14, 2012 Kluv rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourite
I loved this book. I thought it was really good read and liked the way the character was portrayed.
Lisbeth
Nov 04, 2008 Lisbeth rated it it was ok
This book is very clever. IT is about things that some teens go through.
Malak  Fatani
Aug 19, 2014 Malak Fatani rated it liked it
That Chocolate is much more important than oxygen
Cherellespear
such a funny book most memerable out off the series
Abbyedgerocketmail.com
Cute,but still nothing beats "Besties" or "friend me".
Tal
Aug 01, 2012 Tal rated it liked it
If you are over the age of 11, do not read these books.
  • Tessa in Love
  • Dates, Double Dates and Big, Big Trouble (Ally's World, #2)
  • Speeding (Hard Cash Trilogy, #3)
  • Stop in the Name of Pants! (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson, #9)
  • Spin Control (Royally Jacked, #2)
  • 30 Guys in 30 Days
  • Lady: My Life as a Bitch
  • My So-Called Life (Rachel Riley, #1)

Mates, Dates (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Mates, Dates, and Inflatable Bras (Mates, Dates, #1)
  • Mates, Dates, and Cosmic Kisses (Mates, Dates, #2)
  • Mates, Dates, and Designer Divas (Mates, Dates, #3)
  • Mates, Dates, and Sleepover Secrets (Mates, Dates, #4)
  • Mates, Dates, and Sole Survivors (Mates, Dates, #5)
  • Mates, Dates, and Mad Mistakes (Mates, Dates, #6)
  • Mates, Dates, and Sequin Smiles (Mates, Dates #7)
  • Mates, Dates, and Tempting Trouble (Mates, Dates, #8)
  • Mates, Dates, and Chocolate Cheats (Mates, Dates, #10)
  • Mates, Dates, and Diamond Destiny (Mates, Dates, #11)