Start by marking “Edwina the Emu” as Want to Read:
Edwina the Emu

Edwina the Emu

In this sequel to the popular "Edward the Emu", Edward and his mate, Edwina, are the proud parents of 10 little emu chicks. "Don't get depressed. I'll find a job, you stay on the nest", says Edwina to her stunned mate. And so Edwina sets out to find work in this lighthearted offering from Down Under. Full color.
Published April 25th 1997 by Turtleback Books (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Edwina the Emu, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Edwina the Emu

Kitty
Mar 03, 2013 Kitty rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm really just confused about this whole thing. This book is a huge mess from start finish - and slightly offensive to boot.

So here we have two emus - Edward and Edwina. One day Edwina's like yo! Edward get it in gear because I just laid ten, count 'em, TEN EGGS. Edward starts to freak out, but Edwina's got in under control. Why? Because she's a woman on the fast track of life, that's why. Stay here and look after the eggs Edward, mamas gonna go out and get a job.

And so Edwina goes out and int
Sasha Gordon
Jul 13, 2015 Sasha Gordon rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The messaging of this book is offensive. A new mother tries to find a job, fails, and then realizes her real place is at home with the kiddos. I would not read this disgrace to any child.

Secondarily, this book is practically designed to make job-seekers nervous. In this age of financial uncertainty, I found the plot to be in very poor taste. It is especially so given the fictional world of Edwina and her brood, where all needs are tended to by zoo keepers, and a household income is unnecessary.
Kayla
Feb 02, 2012 Kayla rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
We love Edward the Emu, but found Edwina's story to be funny but not as good. The kids seemed to enjoy it fine; however, it rubbed me the wrong way (just slightly) that the moral of the story is that Edwina's place is at home, sitting on her nest, and that's why none of the jobs she applies for works out. I guess if you look at it from a purely animal roles standpoint, it's peachy. Animal mothers have no other job besides caring for their young. But the human working-mother correlation can't be ...more
The Brothers
Jan 27, 2016 The Brothers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Edwina and Edward Emu have 10 eggs. Edwina immediately feels the urge to go get a job so she can take care of the eggs properly, thusly leaving Edward to fend for himself and the eggs while she's gone. Every job she encounters isn't quite right, but Edwina is undaunted. In the end, Edwina realizes the perfect job for her is back with Edward and the eggs.

Lovely illustrations.
Alice
Jan 28, 2015 Alice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-stars
My sister had an Emus once. The were interesting to watch. They were also feisty. It debated between a 4 stars and a 3.75 stars but I gave it a higher ranking because I like the rhyming and I liked the story. I didn't love the pictures but they worked.

Jennybeast
Somehow I like Edward better, mostly because of the Emu-doing-other-animals impressions. Emu as lion sleeping in a tree, for instance, is hilarious. This one is good, in a similar way, for trying to figure out what job you want to do.
Sandi Roe
Oct 16, 2014 Sandi Roe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: family, lap-sit
The kids loved this book! After Edwina lays ten eggs, she sees Edward is terrified. She tells him not to worry, she'll find a job. Edwina has many funny adventures trying the find the perfect job!
Larry Verstraete
A follow-up to Edward the Emu, this book has the same captivating rhyme and rhythm patterns, but the story line is a bit more forced. Still, a great book to read aloud to young ones.
Susan
Sep 20, 2015 Susan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: no-no-no, 2015, storybook
This one totally did not work for me. It seemed that the entire point of the story was to teach children that a woman's place is in the home (no matter how hard she tries to do something else). There is nothing at all wrong with a mother or father choosing to stay home with her/his children. But there is definitely something wrong with a message that a woman ought to stay home even if there is something else she would also like to be doing with her life.
Kathryn
Mar 20, 2014 Kathryn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
Edwina is just as cute as she can be. She and Edward had 10 babies - Sniffly-Sneeze being my favorite!
Teri
Jul 25, 2016 Teri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: australia
Fun--interesting to note that male emu's incubate the eggs and care for the young.
Sasha
Cute Australian picture storybook about finding the job that suits you best
Mandy
Aug 05, 2014 Mandy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
(4.5 stars)
Tiffany Smith
May 19, 2011 Tiffany Smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a remarkably funny children's book that will become an adult favorite. Although this book is intended for children ages 3 to 6, it will have must adults laughing. Edwina feels that she must get a job after laying ten new eggs. Her husband is terrified because he doesn't know how they are going to support ten emu chicks. Edward becomes a stay-at-home father while Edwina searches for the perfect job. This is a must read!
Bec
Sep 05, 2013 Bec rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Edwina and Edward suddenly have 10 eggs so Edwina decides she will go out and get a job - with hilarous results. Anothing rhyming treasure from Sheena Knowles. I read this to a group of "special" kids the other day and they loved it. It does have some tounge twisters so if your going to read it out loud you might want to practice it first.
Audrey Galiardi
This is a great book for teaching/introducing vowel sounds and identifying long and short voewls. I read the book stop on a word say it, have the kids try to spell it on marker boards or at least write the vowel sound they hear. They love it and its a good quick assessment to see who is understanding the vowel concepts or not.
Heather
Another book for Australia. No real knowledge gained about it though....

Really cute book. They all enjoyed it and I had to read it 3 or 4 times in a row. Lots of silly fun and clever rhymes. The pictures of the baby emus at the end are adorable.

Stacey Lowe
Jun 24, 2013 Stacey Lowe rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully illustrated but the message is bizarre. Edwina, though energetic and talented, finds the only job society will allow her to have is that of Mother. So disappointing, especially after the delight of Edward the Emu.
Keegan
So delightful! My husband prefers this one of the two (its companion Edward the Emu). My favorite is the conclusion when you meet the ten little emus. What a delight! My husband didn't expect to like these as much as he did.
Cheryl
We LOVED Edward the Emu so I naturally thought that we would love this one as well. This one had the rhyming verses, but this one just wasn't as enjoyable.
Karissa
Apr 15, 2015 Karissa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-3370-72
Edwina and Edward are about to start a family, and Edwina wants to bring in some extra income. What could be the perfect job for Edwina?
Cheri
May 14, 2009 Cheri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
Edwina wants to find a job so she leaves her nest of eggs for her husband Ed to keep warm. This is a delight see what Edwina decides to do.
Amy
Apr 20, 2008 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So far, my favorite Children's Book! Triston and I actually had tears streaming down our faces we were laughing so hard.
Chelsy
Jun 13, 2012 Chelsy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Oh hooooo! What a wonderful book. There's no telling the lengths a mother will go to make the best for her family!
Samantha Fleming
After reading Edward the Emu, I saw this and I had to read it. Just like Edward the Emu, I loved the ending.
Heather
Apr 22, 2008 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just a reminder to me that being a SAHM is what I should be doing.
Alan
Dec 16, 2008 Alan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
Great pictures, feel free to laugh. I like the shoes.
Jen
Nov 01, 2015 Jen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
its super cute and funny, love the pictures
Kelly Tarr
Apr 08, 2011 Kelly Tarr rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love these books- illustrations are great!
Suzette
May 01, 2010 Suzette rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yeek! A fabulous picture book.
  • Big Red Tub
  • Mr Archimedes' Bath
  • Ten In The Den
  • Tico and the Golden Wings
  • Jungle Drums
  • The Gunniwolf
  • Noni The Pony
  • What Color Is Your Underwear?
  • Goodnight, Me
  • The Baby Beebee Bird
  • What Do You Do When Something Wants To Eat You?
  • The Kiss That Missed
  • Augustus and His Smile
  • One Is a Snail, Ten Is a Crab: A Counting by Feet Book
  • Whose Chick Are You?
  • I Don't Want a Cool Cat!
  • Rose's Garden
  • John Brown, Rose and the Midnight Cat (Picture Puffin)