Start by marking “The Biography of a Grizzly” as Want to Read:
The Biography of a Grizzly

The Biography of a Grizzly

Wahb fulfills the destiny of a silvertip grizzly bear in this Bison Book reprint of Ernest Thompson Seton's classic, originally published in 1900. In vivid language and in seventy-five drawings, the author of Animal Heroes captures for a new generation of readers the freedom and danger, joy and pathos, of Wahb's life.After his motherand siblings are shot by a cattle czar, ...more
Published December 1st 1987 by Bison Books (first published 1899)

To ask other readers questions about The Biography of a Grizzly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Biography of a Grizzly

Jun 22, 2013 Jason rated it really liked it
I run in to grizzly bears on the trail sometimes while hiking in Glacier National Park. They always bound off in to the forest as they tend to be solitary creatures. Nevertheless these moments always leave me with a sense of wonder and appreciation for these terrifyingly beautiful creatures.

Having read 2 scientific books about grizzly bears and their habitat I was impressed with how accurate ETS's information in this story was. It was fun to be able to step in to the life of a grizzly, see what
Jan 22, 2014 Annie rated it it was amazing
I listened to this as an audio book on my phone, and at the end found myself in tears because of it's poignancy. Biography of a Grizzly is a heartfelt and also heartbreaking tale of an orphaned cub who grows to learn the wilds of life on his own.

The book addresses the impact of man on nature and Wahb's life but finds a lot of strength in not portraying all men as evil. Only a 90 minute audio book, it is definitely worth the time!
Dec 28, 2010 Bruce rated it really liked it
At some point in my early childhood - probably about 60 years ago -I discovered Earnest Thompson Seton. And of course, I also found Wahb the grizzly, raggylug the rabbit, the cutthroat trout and a host of others that inhabited a wilderness I never knew existed. What wonderful, thrilling stories. I vividly remember crying at the end of Wahb's story. I don't think I understood the power of great writing and storytelling until then. Writers like Seton made me an avid reader as a child, and I've nev ...more
Connie  Kuntz
Jul 31, 2010 Connie Kuntz rated it really liked it
Wahb (meaning White Bear) is an orphaned Grizzly Bear who learns to respect his fears, fight for peace, and trust the healing powers of a stinky hot-spring.

The story is aptly titled The Biography of a Grizzly because it is about the life of a Grizzly.

Seton writes with a folksy tone that enlightened my kids to the gore and war that Grizzly Bears endure. I thought it was fun to learn (through Wahb's story) about their life span, their diet, their ability to survive gunshots and bear-traps. I als
Apr 02, 2011 Cindy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Shawn and his boys, Jessi and anyone who loves nature stories.
Read this years ago and always liked this story and Lobo King of Currumpaw too. They are together in the hardcover. I'd recommend reading it to the boys Shawn. I think if they like nature, they'd like these stories. Biography of a Grizzly is about a bears life, from cub to old age, starts out with his Mother and 3 brothers and sisters being shot and Wahb being left alone.

Lobo is about a remarkable wolf pack that Lobo leads and their downfall. Probably said too much already but it won't take away
Jun 16, 2011 Kathy rated it it was amazing
For those of you who know me....this is an old "Tayntor" book. It is the best book to read to kids. I LOVED this book when my dad read it to me. I've read it to my kids as well. Of course, it probably helps that we live among bears and have been to Yellowstone and the Tetons which are all referenced in the book. Our editions are from the early 1900s and the illustrations are fantastic. Not sure how they look in the modern paperbacks. Read it on your next camping trip!
Mar 02, 2013 Julia rated it really liked it
This is the story of a big, old grizzly bear who roamed far and wide in his time and gained quite a reputation. It is told from the bear's perspective with a folksy, breezy attitude that keeps you riveted to all of his experiences, from being orphaned as a cub, through his years as king of the forest, to his inevitable final days. Written for children, it is over-flowing with amazing facts about bears.
Amanda Norton
Jan 15, 2014 Amanda Norton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent read...

Beautifully written, the author captures each moment in a way that you almost feel as though you're in the story. If a bear had the ability to write his story, in short, a legacy, this would surely be one that "bears" repeating. In part, this may not be for everyone, however, I found it to be a great story, and I highly recommend it.
Aug 28, 2013 Kenneth rated it it was amazing
This was one of the few books that my father recommended to me. It's a long time since I read it and my father has since departed which means that I may be letting sentiment determine my rating. Nevertheless, I have fond memories of this book and the well written but honest way it deals with the cycle of life. I recommend it.
Dec 21, 2008 Rudy added it
This is a great book for young adults, I read it originally at age 6. A wonderful tale of life and wildlife from a bears perspective. This is one of the few books I still recommend to anyone of any age.
Mar 19, 2014 CHERRY rated it liked it
This maybe describe the life of too many animals. At moments, it sounded like the biography of a human being with a wounded childhood.

Interesting, but not as catching as the story of the Springfield Fox or Billy the dog.
Jul 10, 2008 Willow rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
My mom read this as a read aloud a long time ago and it was a great book. It's like it was written by a bear and he writes about what he does and everything. You learn a lot about grizzly bears too.
Mar 10, 2016 Stacy rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-alouds
Great read-aloud for nature-study. The kids were eager for me to keep reading. We learned a lot about grizzly bears!

I'm reading one of the early editions with the wonderful drawings and plates. A big thank you to my sister-in-law for sending me this find.
Jul 22, 2010 Joanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oscar Wilde's fairytales bent this twig into a bleeding heart social worker. This book did the same, as regards the animal kingdom. Not a social worker, a rescuer of birds, etc.
Jan 26, 2014 Hiroshi rated it really liked it
Quick read into the mind and life of a grizzly. I can see why this author was so influential to Sir David Attenborough. A bit raw at times but a good read for kids.
Jan 15, 2012 Kent rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading this book and feel somehow connected to it. This book has a hold on a part of me and I'm not sure what it is. I now own two original editions of this book.
Bob Steen
May 11, 2011 Bob Steen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting perspective inside the head of a grizzly. If it didn't start with mama grizzly getting shot and end with protagonist grizzly dying, it would be a good one for the kids.
Demian Katz
Mar 31, 2015 Demian Katz rated it really liked it
An peculiar book: a surprisingly sympathetic portrayal of an unusually murderous bear. A very quick read, illustrated with a curious mix of naturalistic images and more symbolic ones.
Lisa Bittle
Apr 18, 2016 Lisa Bittle rated it really liked it
I read the original printing of this book, published in 1899. I picked this book up at a used book store. Though it was a good read, it was a sad story.
Zane rated it it was amazing
Oct 03, 2011
Synoviaus Ghostgus1
Synoviaus Ghostgus1 rated it liked it
Apr 08, 2010
Danielle rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2016
Ryuji Yonemoto
Ryuji Yonemoto rated it it was amazing
Dec 21, 2014
Christopher Olsen
Christopher Olsen rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2015
Jessica rated it it was amazing
Mar 17, 2016
Laura Verret
Laura Verret rated it liked it
May 16, 2013
Norman Cook
Aug 04, 2010 Norman Cook rated it really liked it
AKA King of the Grizzlies.
Kristina rated it it was amazing
Apr 28, 2011
Dominik Baránek
Dominik Baránek rated it it was amazing
Apr 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
What's The Name o...: Bear book from its POV - pre-1990s - YA [s] 3 14 Feb 13, 2013 09:08PM
  • Lost in the Amazon: The True Story of Five Men and their Desperate Battle for Survival
  • Bob, Son of Battle
  • Night of the Grizzlies
  • Apocalyptic Planet: Field Guide to the Ever-Ending Earth
  • George Washington's Farewell Address
  • The Constitution: A Heavenly Banner
  • The Troll Garden: Short Stories
  • Joe Vampire (Joe Vampire, #1)
  • Crawl
  • A Crown of Feathers
  • The Works of Edgar Allan Poe, Volume 5
  • The Complete Ante-Nicene & Nicene and Post-Nicene Church Fathers Collection: 3 Series, 37 Volumes, 65 Authors, 1,000 Books, 18,000 Chapters, 16 Million Words
  • The Penguin Guide to Punctuation
  • Whatever It Is, I Don’t Like It
  • Teaching the Trees: Lessons from the Forest
  • The Little Brown Bear And Other Stories (Enid Blyton's Popular Rewards Series I)
  • Les Contes rouges du chat perché
  • Callanish
Ernest Thompson Seton was a Scots-Canadian (and naturalized U.S. citizen) who became a noted author, wildlife artist, founder of the Woodcraft Indians, and one of the founding pioneers of the Boy Scouts of America (BSA). Seton also heavily influenced Lord Baden-Powell, the founder of Scouting. His notable books related to Scouting include The Birch Bark Roll and The Boy Scout Handbook. He is respo ...more
More about Ernest Thompson Seton...