Start by marking “Hidden Worlds: Looking Through a Scientist's Microscope” as Want to Read:
Hidden Worlds: Looking Through a Scientist's Microscope

Hidden Worlds: Looking Through a Scientist's Microscope (Scientists in the Field)

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  34 ratings  ·  17 reviews
There are hidden worlds in nature—places you can visit only with a microscope. Dennis Kunkel has been exploring these worlds for more than twenty-five years, and now you can go along with him as he uses his powerful microscopes to reveal the hidden beauty of everyday objects: a crystal of sugar, a grain of pollen, a blade of grass.
For Dennis, science has always been an adv
Published August 25th 2003 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published September 24th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Hidden Worlds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hidden Worlds

Jonathan Peto
Hidden Worlds is a biography, a profile really, of Dennis Kunkel, a microscopist who lives in Hawaii. It is one of a series of books, Scientists in the Field. The main goal of sharing Dennis Kunel’s experiences is to interest children in science, to inform them of the possibilities, and to inspire some to perhaps become scientists themselves.

Many of Kunkel’s full color photographs enliven the text. The captions identify the kind of microscope used and include the magnification, which is all expl
Mahrya
Nov 15, 2008 Mahrya rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Ages 7-12
Shelves: juvenilia
Kramer, Stephen. Hidden Worlds: Looking Through a Scientist's Microscope, Houghton Mifflin Company, 57 pages. Non-fiction book.

Description: Hidden Worlds, follows scientist Dennis Kunkel around the world as he examines microscopic plants, animals and cells. The book discusses Dennis' career and shows up close views of organisms under a microscope.

Review: This book's biggest strength is that it packs a lot of information about scientific study into a relatively short volume. It shows all differ
Becky B
Dennis Kunkel is a scientist who primarily researches things by looking at them closely. Really, really closely. He's an expert with microscopes, and this book introduces readers to how he got interested in science, some of his research projects, and a typical day in the field for him. Readers also get introduced to the tools that Kunkel most frequently uses, various types of microscopes. Photographs Kunkel has taken using microscopes are found throughout the book.

This is a great introduction t
Kay Ray
Hidden Worlds: looking through a scientist’s microscope by Stephen Kramer is another interesting book, as well as informal book for students. Many elementary students enjoy science lab for their special area, this would be another way for them to enjoy science. There is so much to see in nature and with the outside world but sometimes we can’t picture it all unless we zoom in. IN this book, Dennis Kunkel has explored these worlds for over 25 years, and as he did so he snapped pictures through hi ...more
Natalie Varnell
Genre: informational
Summary: This book belongs to the Scientist in the Field series and appropriately chronicles the journey of microscopist Dennis Kunkel. The book provides information on Dan Kunkel’s life, and different microscopes, as well as procedures for using microscopes, and tips on becoming a scientist.
a) This book features amazing real photographic images taken from various different types of microscopes all from the featured scientist Dennis Kunkel. The images have been enhanced with
Candice
1. Genre: Informational Junior Book

2. Summary: This book is about the work of a scientist, Dennis Kunkel who is a microscopist. Dennis explores the hidden worlds in nature through a microscope; through this book it shows remarkable images of microscopic life and objects, such as a microblast, jellyfish, mosquito, bacteria and much more.

3. Critique:

a) The greatest part of this book is the images and photographs.

b) The best part of this book was the pictures. It shows Dennis in his laboratory
Jade Nguyen

1. { Genre }: Junior > Science Fiction

2. { Summary }: What can’t you see with your naked eye? Tons! Take a magical journey through magnified cells, bugs, and different life forms and see how the microscope discovers.

3a. { Area for comment }: Organization

3b. { Critique }: Unlike “The Bug Scientists”, I wasn’t as nearly as grossed out by the images. Instead, I was more intrigued and somehow felt distant as one entity containing many others.

3c. { Critique Example }:The title starts out with gr
Jeannie
Citation: Hidden Worlds: Looking Through a Scientist's Microscope, Stephen Kramer, Dennis Kunkel (photographs), Houghton Mifflin, 2001, 53p. Junior Book/Nonfiction

Genre: Nonfiction/Scientist in the Field series

Summary: This is a book about, Microscopist, Dennis Kunkel’s contributions to science have allowed us to look into worlds beyond our imaginations.

Critique: a. The hook and sustaining power of this book is in its photos.
b. Using computer generated coloring, Dennis produces lurid, pungent,
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
I had a microscope when I was a kid, so I know how exciting discovering small things can be. I learned quite a bit from this book about Dennis Kunkel and his microscopes. First of all, I didn't realize there were so many types of microscopes, and how the more complex ones work. I also didn't realize that the color photos I've seen in books of things seen through the electron microscopes actually come out in black-and-white, and that the scientists have to color them with the computer as best the ...more
Christi
Genre: Informational

Summary: This book shows the amazing world of microbiology. It has amazing, colorful pictures that will surprise the reader with how beautiful pollen can be.

Critique:
A.Illustrations and Scientific information given in an understandable way
B. The pictures were very interesting and they were a nice counterpart to the information given in the text. Also, the information was written on a level that would be understandable for 4th grade and up.
C. There were pictures of the Scie
Allison Webster
This book belongs in the information junior books.

This book shows readers different organisms under a microscope in Hidden Worlds. Children learn about author,Dennis Kunkle's, career, microscopes, and get a closer look at the world around them.

This book examines the world around us through a different lens, literally. Children will gain a better understanding, through the content, of our world. They will learn that the human eye cannot see everything. The illustrations are actual organisms view
Naomi
This book was cool and creepy-ass-creepy at the same time. Makes me apprehensive for what we can't see! Really awesome pictures.
Beverly
He has some really fascinating photos of greatly enlarged plants and creatures; I only wished they had included more in the book.
Carol
I liked this one but thought it would have been better with more extreme close-up pictures.
Vandy
the pictures have stayed in my head ever since i read this book a year ago!
Lafcadio
Jul 30, 2007 Lafcadio rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Human Flea
Shelves: room-13, honeydew, ansel, hall
Wicked little critta.
Christine King
Christine King marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2015
Kristine Pratt
Kristine Pratt marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2015
sadira reinstar
sadira reinstar marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2015
Alfred E. Lane Sr.
Alfred E. Lane Sr. marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2015
Ruby
Ruby marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2015
Tana
Tana marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2015
Steven Contreras
Steven Contreras marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2015
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2015
Nancy Yob
Nancy Yob marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »

Scientists in the Field (1 - 10 of 44 books)
  • Anthropologist: Scientist of the People
  • The Bat Scientists (Scientists in the Field)
  • Beetle Busters
  • The Bug Scientists (Scientist in the Field Series)
  • Chasing Cheetahs: The Race to Save Africa's Fastest Cat
  • Digging for Bird Dinosaurs: An Expedition to Madagascar
  • Diving to a Deep-Sea Volcano
  • The Dolphins of Shark Bay
  • The Elephant Scientist (Scientist in the Field Series)
  • Emi and the Rhino Scientist
Eye of the storm: chasing storms with warren faidley The New Rules of College Admissions: Ten Former Admissions Officers Reveal What it Takes to Get Into College Today Surrogate Terrorists: Iran's Formula for Success Cows Are Vegetarians!: A Book for Vegetarian Kids Tornado