Start by marking “Clerks & Chasing Amy” as Want to Read:
Clerks & Chasing Amy

Clerks & Chasing Amy

4.09  ·  Rating Details  ·  561 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Here in one volume are two screenplays by Kevin Smith, one of today's most original filmmakers. Clerks was the independent film success story of 1994, winning the Prix de la Jeunesse and the International Critics Week Award at Cannes, and the Filmmakers' Trophy at Sundance. Set in the everyday world of a New Jersey QuickStop and its adjacent video store, the film revolves ...more
Published March 28th 1997 by Miramax Books

To ask other readers questions about Clerks & Chasing Amy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Clerks & Chasing Amy

John
Feb 04, 2010 John rated it really liked it
I don't know why I have this book. I think I originally thought I was going to read them and then that would teach me how to write screenplays, but I neglected the most important thing about writing screenplays. You actually have to have an idea for a screenplay. That would not be provided by this book, unless I want to write a movie about wise-ass clerks or lesbian Joey Lauren Adams.
Reading these reminded me about how I feel whenever I watch a Kevin Smith movie. His dialogue is really funny an
Daniel
Sep 16, 2008 Daniel rated it really liked it
The absolute best part of this is the introduction by Kevin Smith. How honest he is about the entire process of starting "Clerks" was really interesting and eye-opening, the kind of thing that makes you say, if he could do it...

I especially liked the part about after getting bashed for making "Mallrats" how one movie reviewer that honestly tried to interpret and understand what Smith was doing was able to elaborate that within the overall issues with the movie, that there were elements of truth
Ezequiel Rodríguez
May 29, 2011 Ezequiel Rodríguez rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-it
Smith most solid work put out on paper. It is preceded by a short but powerful tale on how both films are linked. These are the full original scripts thus you get some additional scenes that did not make the final cut. Highly recommended if you enjoy Smith's work.
Keon
Sep 20, 2011 Keon rated it it was amazing
He's not everybody's cup of tea but Kevin Smith's mixture of pop culture and heart just makes this completely my thing. Do not approach if you hate excessive talk about star wars, sex and mixed up feelings in your twenties.
Darin Strachan
Mar 01, 2012 Darin Strachan rated it really liked it
Shelves: screenplays
These are two of my favorite Kevin Smith movies. The scripts are good reads. The philosophical side is evident in Smith's dialogue. And some of the subtler ways he foreshadows future events are more noticeable in the script.
Adam
Jul 09, 2010 Adam rated it liked it
reading Chasing Amy is in many ways more fun than actually watching it- Kevin Smith is not a good director and that hurts Amy more than it does the simpler Clerks, which is a brilliant comedic script, IMO.
Lily Percy
Aug 08, 2008 Lily Percy rated it it was amazing
I would carry this book with me the first week of school every year in high school. I don't actually know why it comforted me so much but it really did.
Bill G
Nov 12, 2011 Bill G rated it really liked it
Two great screenplays from two great movies.
I liked to follow along, mark the deleted scenes, mark the lines that are different, and have a blast.
Filthy
Mar 24, 2009 Filthy rated it it was amazing
Yay Kevin Smith. Many things in the book, that never made it to the screen!
Fun, fun to act out!
Fishsanwitt
Jan 10, 2009 Fishsanwitt marked it as to-read
Shelves: catalogued
stamped
Jason Neuman
Jason Neuman is currently reading it
Feb 11, 2016
mary slate
mary slate rated it it was amazing
Feb 11, 2016
Adam Scott
Adam Scott rated it it was amazing
Feb 07, 2016
Kenny
Kenny rated it it was ok
Feb 01, 2016
Yvette Osborne
Yvette Osborne rated it it was amazing
Feb 01, 2016
Robert Matrone
Robert Matrone marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
Will
Will rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2016
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2016
Vasa68
Vasa68 added it
Jan 21, 2016
David Merkle
David Merkle marked it as to-read
Chris McMonagle
Chris McMonagle rated it it was amazing
Michael
Michael rated it it was amazing
Iveta
Iveta rated it it was amazing
Jan 13, 2016
Tanya
Tanya marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2016
Penguinclaw
Penguinclaw marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2016
Kei Bevido
Kei Bevido rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2016
Fabian
Fabian marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2016
Craig Lipke
Craig Lipke rated it liked it
Jan 04, 2016
Christopher Lyons
Christopher Lyons rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2016
  • Fargo
  • Pulp Fiction: A Quentin Tarantino Screenplay
  • American Beauty: The Shooting Script
  • Do the Right Thing: A Spike Lee Joint
  • Taxi Driver
  • The Truman Show: The Shooting Script
  • Hannah and Her Sisters
  • Spike, Mike, Slackers, & Dykes: A Guided Tour Across a Decade of American Independent Cinema
  • Adaptation.: The Shooting Script
  • Juno: The Shooting Script
  • Lost Highway
  • The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook: Dating and Sex
  • A Short History of the Movies
Kevin Patrick Smith is an American screenwriter, director, as well as a comic book writer, author, and actor. He is also the co-founder, with Scott Mosier, of View Askew Productions and owner of Jay and Silent Bob's Secret Stash comic and novelty store in Red Bank, New Jersey. He also hosts a weekly podcast with Scott Mosier known as SModcast. He is also known for participating in long, humorous Q ...more
More about Kevin Smith...