Start by marking “La toile d'araignée” as Want to Read:
La toile d'araignée

La toile d'araignée

3.84  ·  Rating Details ·  5,364 Ratings  ·  232 Reviews
Clarissa s'est mariée avec Henry Hailshaw-Brown. Le couple habite une demeure à la campagne, mais la jeune femme s'y ennuie un peu. Aussi adore-t-elle recevoir quelques amis dont son tuteur Rowland Delahaye, le juge de paix Hugo Birch, ainsi que Jeremy Warrender. Pippa, la fille de Henry, rentre de l'école. Elle refuse de vivre chez sa mère qui s'est remariée avec Oliver C ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 250 pages
Published 2001 by Champs-Elysées (first published September 4th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about La toile d'araignée, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about La toile d'araignée

Gabby
Oct 17, 2015 Gabby rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book is a lie. Call me old fashioned , but usually, you would be correct in assuming that when an author's name is splayed out over the front cover, that said author wrote this book, right?
Well obviously not.
I picked up this book with the naive assumption that Agatha Christie, Hailed Queen of the Crime Genre Past, Present and Future, engineered this novel.
After about one chapter, I knew this wasn't the case.

Let's create a small analogy to convey my surprise in realising that this novel
Ivonne Rovira
Sep 28, 2016 Ivonne Rovira rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ivonne by: Claire Wilson
Oh, what a tangled web we weave
When first we practise to deceive! (Sir Walter Scott)

The irony of Spider’s Web, of course, is that our plucky heroine, the pretty, clever Clarissa Hailsham-Brown, only gets into trouble when she tries to tell the truth. An inveterate prankster, Clarissa is used to spinning tales and being believed. What makes things difficult is when Clarissa actually does stumble onto a dead body in the drawing-room. Then the ingenious Clarissa springs into action.

To say any mor
Mohd Sulaiman
Jun 16, 2015 Mohd Sulaiman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It keeps you guessing to the end!
Daniel Johnston
May 31, 2009 Daniel Johnston rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Hardcore Agatha Christie fans.
This book started out as an Agatha Christie play, and decades later was adapted to book form by Charles Osbourne. First things first, to get it off my chest, this book reads much like a play. Set in one main scene, in a single timeframe (a night), and heavily (and I mean heavily!) dialogue driven it feels like you are reading the play script.

Once you get past that fact, you get a very short and very average Agatha Christie mystery. The story, once you get passed the first 50 pages reads relative
Catherine Ryan
May 31, 2015 Catherine Ryan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was a really fun mystery from Christie/Osbourne, very lighthearted. The main character - Clarissa Hailsham-Brown - was written really well. The story was good, and a satisfying ending.
Viviana
Mais um livro surpreendente da Rainha da Morte.
Agatha Christie consegue surpreender-me sempre e, com este livro, não foi excepção.
Diferente dos outros livros da autora, este policial poderia facilmente ser adaptado a uma peça de teatro. Toda a acção deste policial decorre no mesmo espaço: a sala. E é nessa sala que, misteriosamente, nos deparamos com um cadáver.
No início, confesso que fiquei um pouco confusa: as personagens são várias mas toda a acção decorre no mesmo local. Quase que podemos ve
Adela Cacovean
Ana
Jun 08, 2013 Ana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Una vez más confirmo que Agatha Christie es mi autora favorita, o género, no sé. Lo que sí sé es que me sigue impresionando en cada relato y sigue teniendo la misma magia en cada historia. Sí, me refiero a que en que siempre llega un punto del misterio donde todos pueden ser culpables, luego, ninguno podría ser el culpable, y al último siempre me sorprendo. Más porque durante todo el relato juega con los pensamientos y los actos de los personajes, llevando mis deducciones a los extremos.

Imaginen
Ainur
OMG. I had so much fun reading this. This is a novel adapted by one of Christie’s plays. It’s short and quick read. I read this during my one hour and 15 minutes flight from London to Amsterdam. I simply cannot put it down. Definitely a page-turner. (Being a Christie’s fan myself, I probably be biased about this.)

I love the plot, it’s simple and not complicated. The whole event took place at Clarissa’s house (heck, only one part of the house). Unpredictable, as usual. (I kept thinking that the g
Khushi
Aug 06, 2015 Khushi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a good book. It really forces one to read it, being so gripping.
Rebecca Pate
Mar 31, 2014 Rebecca Pate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book! Always love Agatha Christie. You can't go wrong with her books.
Amarante
Oct 21, 2016 Amarante rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Never have I cried "I knew it" as often as I did while reading Spider's Web. By the time the real murderer had been revealed, however, I had to do with "I should've known" as I silently cursed myself for being so idle and having cried wolf so often before.
The book is a novelisation of a play, which is still very much visible through the dialogues and to-the-point writing style. But don't worry too much: the clever plot that is so typical Agathe Christie is still there, simply not concealed as w
Sandi
Feb 04, 2016 Sandi rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense
If you have never read an Agatha Christie story before, DO NOT READ THIS!!! This is NOT an Agatha Christie mystery novel. This reads as an amateurish fan-fic adaptation of a play - very heavy on trite, superficial dialogue, no character development, and stupid cinematic chaotic moments of idiotic actions and reactions. Clarissa is obviously a construct designed solely to play to the audience, falling prey to all the predictable pitfalls of being one of the 'weaker, vapid sex'. She continually wh ...more
Kavita
Aug 12, 2014 Kavita rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This is an adaptation of Christie's play into novel form, and Charles Osborne has done a decent job. The book starts off with a house party consisting of three guests and the husband and wife as hosts, plus a child. There are three servants - the butler, the cook and the gardener, and there are two policemen. The entire story revolves around the house and all the characters operate within the space limits.

The book lacks Christie's detailed description, probably because it was originally written
Faa
Jun 04, 2013 Faa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The challenge in writing a play into novel, is to ensure the flow and narrative of the plot is smooth and entertwine from one chapters to the others. Spider's Web is one from many Agatha's plays that I am satisfied with as a novel. Charles Osborne has do her justice in this book.

Knowing Clarissa and her stepdaughter, Pippa; I realized that no matter how carefree and social Clarissa was, her true love and happiness really belonged to Henry Hailsham-Brown and their small family. Therefore that fac
محمد  جبر
لا بأس
Chuck
Aug 16, 2010 Chuck rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
57 out of 100 for 2010.

Although I've enjoyed the 'Miss Marple' and 'Poirot' mini series, I haven't read an Agatha Christie novel since she was alive. 'twas the summer of '75 and I was spending much of it with my maternal grandmother, who lived in a fairly remote area ('tis no longer, but was then). The allure of working outside in a truck farm (what she called a 'garden') and exploring a mosquito infested woods faded after a week or so, so I started working my way through my grandmother's librar
Alisa
May 07, 2015 Alisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was originally written as play. That's why it's really easy and quick to read.

The Plot:
The action is floating smoothly and really fast. Honestly, I couldn't find out who was the murderer until the last page!

The characters:

Pippa is an extraordinary child - seriously, she ate at least half a dozen buns and biscuits with milk and fruit, 1-2 mousses, dinner, and more biscuits with milk. If I were her, I would had stomachache or diabetes.
Hugo is the most adorable and funniest of them al
Khairu
Jul 13, 2012 Khairu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Clarissa Halisham-Brown, a diplomat's wife, finds a body in her parlor while waiting for her husband to return home with an important diplomatic guest. Her efforts to hide the murder and save her husband's career become increasingly more complicated. The body is the focal point of Clarissa's efforts, and her attempts to hide it are increasingly more difficult to execute. As the story progresses, Clarissa traps herself in a web of lies.

It is fully evident that this story was originally a play. Al
France-Andrée
May 24, 2013 France-Andrée rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This was adapted from a play and it really has the best quality about such an adaptation : it was very visual; so easily imagined. The story was cute and funny, felt like vintage Agatha Christie; I don't know how much Charles Osborne did to make the story readable as a whole, but it didn't feel too stagy or disjointed so I'm thinking he did a good job of it. As a mystery it is also very well thought which I always expect of Christie and I didn't guess the killer until we were almost at the revea ...more
Andrew
Dec 05, 2013 Andrew rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
as I understand it this book is a narrative drawn posthumously from a play that she wrote.
as such (alike a play)the tale takes place within one area within a house and could feel a little limited because of this....however it does have enough twists and turns to retain interest.
I understand given its one form derived from another that maybe this isn't classic Christie as however this is my late introduction to the author I couldn't really speculate on that..it did however deliver elements I was
زكرياء

القصة ليست مثيرة كثيراً، أعجبتني و أنهيتها بسرعة بفقط لأنها قصيرة، القضية سهلة الفهم و ليس معقدة،، يستطيع القارئ أن يتوع من القاتل بسهولة بسبب تشابه الأوصاف فهو شاب، وسيم، حيوي، و مثقف لكنه يرتكب تلك الجريمة للحصول على مبلغ مالي.

بسبب وفاة صاحب القصر توقعت أن القضية مختلفة، و أن القاتل ليس مقرباً من كلاريسا

عندما أقول الصدق... لا احد يصدقني.. و هذا غريب حقاً.. و لكن يخيل إن الإنسان حيت يخترع قصة، فإنه يندفع مع خياله و يتحمس في سردها بطريقة تقنع سامعيه " ص12

"الناس ليسوا بالسذاجة و البساطة كما يدل
Cameron Toney
Feb 10, 2014 Cameron Toney rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
This was a play, and it reads like one. Someone just removed all the script markers, and added in some exposition.
Its not amazingly successful. You get to see the bad guy running about while the main character is away, which is not the most successful thing to do in a murder mystery.
I love Agatha Christie, but this is not the most successful version of this.
Micha
This is the first Christie that I owned, rather than what was lent by my sister, mother, friend, or the library. I remember wishing I could live in the big fancy house Clarissa lives in where you dress for dinner and eat chocolate mousse late at night, even if murders do happen there.
Ruth
Feb 21, 2016 Ruth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: english-cosy
This just suited my mood for something light and entertaining! The book is a novelization of a Christie play and listening on audio added to the sense of a 'performance' with lots of dialogue and the action taking place during a single evening.
Linnea
Apr 25, 2016 Linnea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Agatha Christien näytelmästä muokattu näytelmä oli oikein viihdyttävä. Näytelmäformaatti sopii hyvin kuunneltavaksi, etenkin kun lukija osaa asiansa ja Svedberghän osaa. Murhamysteerinä ei välttämättä tosin se kiinnostavin, mutta Christie on Christie, toimii siis.
Bob
Oct 24, 2014 Bob rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked it a lot. It is quite different of most of Agatha Christie's book, as it comes from a theater play, but it is as interesting as any other.
Kimberley doruyter
it's good that's it's a short book i don't think it's one of her best.
Islam Hedeiwy
As always I love Agatha Christie
Melissa
Feb 17, 2017 Melissa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Obviously based on a play so all the dialog is spoken- no internal thoughts and action scenes. Clarissa is a silly person but otherwise an enjoyable piece of fluff.
  • A Late Phoenix (Inspector Sloan #4)
  • The Scoop and Behind the Screen
  • Fallen Into the Pit (Felse, #1)
  • Agatha Christie
  • The Old Bank House
  • Reservations for Murder (Lighthouse Inn Mystery #2)
  • Agatha Christie: A Biography
  • Sherlock Holmes and the King's Evil: And Other New Tales Featuring the World's Greatest Detective (Sherlock Holmes, #4)
  • Castle Gay (Dickson McCunn, #2)
  • The Case of the Lazy Lover
  • The Life and Times of Hercule Poirot
Charles Thomas Osborne is a journalist, theatre and opera critic, poet and novelist. He was assistant editor of The London Magazine from 1958 until 1966, literature director of the Arts Council of Great Britain from 1971 until 1986, and chief theatre critic of Daily Telegraph (London) from 1986 to 1991. He is the only author the Agatha Christie Estate has ever allowed to produce adapted works in h ...more
More about Charles Osborne...