Blank-133x176
A Piece of My Heart

Richard Ford

A Piece of My Heart

3.5 of 5 stars 3.50  ·  rating details  ·  367 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Ford's mesmerizing first novel is the story of two godless pilgrims. Robard Hewes has driven across the country in the service of a destructive passion. Sam Newell is seeking the missing piece of himself. When these men converge, on an uncharted island in the Mississippi, each discovers the thing he's looking for--amid a conflagration of violence that's as shocking as it i...more
Published October 1st 1976 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 1976)

To ask other readers questions about A Piece of My Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Piece of My Heart

Jessie Young
This was one of those books where the first 5 pages were brutal. I re-read them about three times and still had no idea what was going on. The use of "he" really got me. As it turns out, in any given chapter, "he" refers to the person the chapter is named for...but it took me a while to figure that out.

The writing in this book is definitely good. The descriptions of nature were always incredibly precise and moving. What I did not like about it, however, was that I kept waiting for something to h...more
Max
There is so much action, color, character and amazing scene setting in this story. Jam packed with an overwhelming number of well-crafted and poignant descriptions of the light, the land, our thoughts, the air, the sun, our memories, the physical details of the people and situations who strike us, who leave a mark on our minds.
Wendy
Ford is one of my favorite authors-I loved the sportswriter, independence day and lay of the land. I'd read some of his short stories and didn't grove on them as much, so I knew I wouldn't like all of his work. I just didn't enjoy this one - hard to describe why. It was well written - the man knows how to chose his words carefully-but it had an odd tone to it. Was going to force myself to finish it - it's not that long, but life is short, so into the unfinished pile it goes...
Carolyn Phelps
I chose this book because I liked Richard Ford's later books and thought I would try out some of his earlier ones. Turned out to be a mistake. It's one of the few books I've read where I reached the end and asked myself why I wasted my time. Perhaps the only moral to the story is that if you leave your wife to chase another women and think the whole time it's a mistake, it probably is!
Jabberwock

Pure southern gothic - in the tradition of O'connor and Faulkner! This may seem like a departure from his later writing, but adds a lot of context for the tradition from which Ford emerged. His ear for dialogue (however improbable it might sound to a non-southerner) and eye for how cultural geography informs character is stunning at times.
Taruia
This is a long winded and meandering book about two men who follow different paths, converging on an island in the middle of the Mississippi River, where many low key events occur. This is a book that fails to get out of first gear - Robard Hewes (a sort-of drifter who takes a security post on teh island for one week to prevent poachers from taking turkeys that weren't there) and Sam Newel, who other than sleeping with the granddaughter of the island's owners and being a failing law student, add...more
Dan
This is not a very good book relative to Ford's later work IMHO. Much of the dialogue is unbelievable and the characters are not realistically drawn. I feel I'm a careful reader and if I dont understand something I will reread it until I get it. Frankly there are just some passages that don't make sense. The sex scenes and the speech of the characters engaged in them, while they are supposed to be realistic, are just awful!

In the books defense I see glimpses of why I like Fords later stuff, his...more
Beverly
A very enlightening book that confirmed my own observations. It is overwhelming that we treat the poor worse than we treat our pets. The answer must come from all within being confronted and made to face their greed and inhumanity. I am sick of the good religious people who continue to act in such ways to another human being.

After reading this book I feel that the only way for change to occur is to require all to switch housing situations so that both poor and rich can see the advantages and dis...more
Casey
Ford is one of my favorite writers, so it's difficult to rate one of his books so poorly. While the writing (of this his first novel)shows signs of the brilliance of his later work, I'm glad this was not my first encounter with him. The plot of the novel comes together pretty well in the end, but throughout I couldn't help but question the motivations of the two central characters, and, by the end, I had to even question one of the character's place in the novel at all.

I haven't read his second...more
Zombieaps
I didn't read this book for plot, or some big climax, but was rather pushed through it sentence by sentence. I usually take statements such as the one previous to this as indications of a book that is boring and not worth my time. Each sentence stunned me. I would stop and stare for a few moments and pick the book back up and read some more. These moments of insight are also paired with discomfort. Ford is not willing to shield the reader for the more jagged aspects of Arkansas and Mississippi....more
Reid
A brilliantly written first novel, a dark story of two men struggling with the most basic ideas of who they are and what their purpose might be in the world. A dense piece of writing in which nothing much happens in terms of actual events or actions, but that keeps the reader rapt nonetheless with depth of description and the inner lives of the characters. Ford's amazing career since (including a Pulitzer) is prefigured neatly in this excellent novel.
Paul
Supremely disappointing. Having read most of Ford's other work, all of it incredible and some of it awe-inspiring, this novel was kind of a shock. It's rambling, boring, and even uninspired. Beuna is an interesting character, though she's monotonous and whiny. Everyone else was just a light. Some work seems to have been done to fix the feel of a plotless, meandering story by placing the climax in the prologue, but this wasn't enough for me. Bummer.
Jane
Gee, thanks, Faulkner, for making this seem like a good idea. Ford's later novels may be more accessible and because he came highly recommended, I will probably give him another try, but for an occasionally raunchy novel this was boring and confusing. (Though if anyone can explain what exactly the perversity Buena dreamt up was, I'd be curious. I had no idea what he was talking about.)
Chris
Richard wrote the most moving thing I read about 9-11. He also writes pretty heavy shit about lawns and wives and ex-wives. This is kinda pulpy. Love triangle between some girl, a minor league ball player and a criminal minded criminal. It works though. Ford thinks he's heavier than thou, on some "Yonder lies the Mississippi River, etc" shit. But it kinda works.
Jesse
May 10, 2007 Jesse rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: the pope
Very Southern gothic, along the lines of Faulkner and Pinckney Benedict--weird ass characters making very poor choices. Great story about an island that doesn't exist on any map on the Mississippi River between the state of and Louisiana. Two parallel stories about the characters who meet up with one another. Several gory demises and nasty women.
Caroline
This is Richard Ford's first novel. He draws on his Mississippi and Arkansaw background to set the novel and draw the characters. Very good character development and they are some "real characters"! He has you caring about the main character by the end. There is a minimum of dialogue. Genre...dirty realism.
Patrick
Jun 10, 2008 Patrick rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: die hard Ford fans
This is probably the weakest of his that I have read so far, (I started out with the Sportswriter trilogy and Rock Springs) which is probably to be expected since it's his first. Nevertheless, Ford is one of the contemporary greats and I am eager to pursue the rest of his works.
Steve
Some real good writing here, buried between some convoluted plot whose resolution seems clear from the get go. Ford tells some colorful tales between the main story arc, but much of the book gets bogged down in meaningless details.
Claire
Mar 06, 2012 Claire marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I haven't read this, but his prose is so jewel-like that I always want to write down half of his sentences to think about later. Makes for slow reading!
Madeline Cohen
Gorgeous prose, but profoundly unsympathetic characters and ultimately an unsatisfying read. I found myself not caring much about what happened.
Jermajesty
Borderline unreadable. I'm just glad Richard Ford emerged from his fog fast enough to write "The Sportswriter" and his other classics.
Travis Lynn
This sits rather firmly in the shadow of "The Sportswriter".
Monica
so far it's Faulkner all over again, and i love it
Amy
Aug 05, 2011 Amy marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
hard to follow. I keep putting it aside
Rafa
Rafa is currently reading it
Sep 13, 2014
Jake
Jake is currently reading it
Sep 10, 2014
Maltoablativ eggplant
Maltoablativ eggplant marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
  • Saint Jack
  • The Heyday of the Insensitive Bastards
  • Beautiful Shadow: A Life of Patricia Highsmith
  • Defiance
  • Six Tales of the Jazz Age (and Other Stories)
  • The Angel on the Roof
  • The Black Book
  • The Legend of the Glorious Adventures of Tyl Ulenspiegel in the Land of Flanders & Elsewhere
  • Nothing but Blue Skies
  • The Portable Faulkner
  • Blood on the Forge
  • The Nothing Man
Richard Ford is a Pulitzer Prize-winning American novelist and short story writer. His best-known works are the novel The Sportswriter and its sequels, Independence Day and The Lay of the Land, and the short story collection Rock Springs, which contains several widely anthologized stories.
For more info see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_...
More about Richard Ford...
Canada Independence Day The Sportswriter Rock Springs The Lay of the Land