Start by marking “The Magic Garden” as Want to Read:
The Magic Garden

The Magic Garden

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  282 ratings  ·  30 reviews
A wealthy young girl spends her youth preparing for the return of a young man she has loved since childhood.
Published December 1st 1978 by American Reprint Company (first published 1927)

Belinda Collinge
I discovered this book quite by accident as a young girl. I was searching through the books on a shelf as a child and found this very old book, missing it's cover. I read it out of boredom since it didn't look very appealing to a 10 yr. became the book that really started my love for reading. I still own that crumbling book and will always cherish it.
This is my first Gene Stratton-Porter, and not my last. I have a list of highly recommended books by this author.

I'd really like to call this book a modern day fairy tale and as such, I think it is a really sweet, charming story. It's also a quick read.

I like what this book has to say about love and what it has to say about boys and girls saving themselves and developing their virtues for the man/woman that they will marry.

One part that was a little hard for me to follow was the amount of kisses
""The Magic Garden" (1927) was read to me by my mother. I later read it myself and to my children when they were young. For myself it was absolutely a "magical" experience. Gene Stratton-Porter takes you to places that are incredibly beautiful. "The Magic Garden" is an enchanted place that one does not want to leave. I can safely say that it is my favorite book of all time. I have always remembered the main character, Amaryllys, she was my favorite. This book was also my mother's favorite when s ...more
Apparently I had a higher tolerance for sentimental goo when I last read this book 20 years ago. Imagine eating approximately 12 Krispy Kreme doughnuts, washing them down with a vat of hot chocolate, and then finishing up with a pan of brownies and you will be approaching the experience of reading this book. There is entirely too much kissing of "dimpled knees" in this book and way too many descriptions of begging for kisses like "hungry little birds beg for worms." There's only one scene where ...more
Contains spoilers

Ah Gene, my dear, what was shaping up to be a lovey little story that kept me interested and entertained and happy with your writing and fortunately lacking in some of your more preachy/talky stories...why'd you have to ruin it at the end?

Had to be fair and give it 3 stars because I really did like most of it, it was really quite charming. But truly, the end was appalling and made me really unhappy.
Nov 28, 2007 Graceann rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of Good Novels
A poor little rich girl runs away from home and meets a poor boy who nonetheless has what she lacks. When her father finds her, he turns his priorities around and devotes himself to his family. She is reunited with the poor boy later on, in an ending that may seem syrupy to many, but if you can suspend your cynicism long enough, it's lovely.
This is one of my favorite books of all time. I have read it over and over through the years. The story of such pure, innocent and selfless love is something that is missing in a lot of current books. Though I enjoy a wide variety of current books, romantic and otherwise, it is nice to go back and read The Magic Garden now and then.
This is classified as a youth book, but I found it a charming and sweet story. The innocence of the children, and the sweet tender love a child has for another. Gene Stratton-Porter wrote this book with Lee Thayer. Sometimes the books of today of an edge that forgets the innocence of a child.
Kinda weird! This book had some redeeming qualities like the ability to paint an exquisite mental picture that you wanted to jump into, and illustrated the power of love. The ending? Let me know how you like it. It didn't seem to fit in with the book.
Karen GoatKeeper
This novel was written around 1926 and it shows. Amaryllis is smart, well educated but uses it only to make a house beautiful for her true love. He is also well educated and a virtuoso violinist and gets to go on tours and give concerts. Very dated. It gets very preachy with 1926 stiff conduct and moral codes.
I did enjoy the first part of the book when Amaryllis was five, rich, abandoned by everyone and desperate to be part of a family who cares.
The ending was typical of the time but very disapp
So beautiful!
I love this author but this is not her best book. Usually I like her books because they give a hopeful image of the great possibilities in life. This was such an extremely idealistic picture of love it was impossibile to believe, and therefore did not impart the hope and optimism I have learned to expect from her. The pure motives and unmixed emotions of her characters are so rare as to be unrealistic.
Linda Sammaritan
I loved A Girl of the Limberlost. Freckles was good. The Magic Garden moved too slowly with too much repetition for my tastes.
Renata Bursten
I just found and ordered this (my third copy). It was the first Gene Stratton Porter I ever read and somehow it keeps disappearing on me. It is treacle-sweet but I absolutely love it.
Megan Cullen
After watching a movie of A Girl of the Limberlost, I thought this author must be amazing. So I read A Girl of the Limberlost and was enthralled and delighted until the second half of the book which was kind of dull and kind of unnecessary.

Moving on from there I tried The Magic Garden which had a great title reminiscent of The Secret Garden--but was absolutely awful. Rambling, incoherent, melodramatic, and a great slog of a journey this is not a book I would ever recommend. A pity because it wo
I stumbled upon this book at the library at BYU-Hawaii. I fell in love with it, then I couldn't find it anywhere. Finally, two years ago I searched for it again and found it on Amazon. I love this story. It is sweet and I just really liked it. I own a copy if anyone is interested in reading it.

Brief plot: Sad, rich little girl runs away and is rescued by poor, young man. She falls for him. She hopes to meet with him again when she is grown. She secretly helps him financially and waits for the d
Definitely not my favorite Gene Stratton-Porter story. I think it was meant to be a modern take on a fairy tale. But the flat characters were hard to relate to, and the story was rather preposterous. Buying a love story between a 5-year old girl and a young teen boy is a stretch to begin with, but you throw in how rich she is, how quickly her father's character changes and the out of left field ending, and this feels like a slapped together story from GSP, who is normally a good author.
heartbreaking and beautiful. (someone write me a sequel)
Not my favorite Stratton-Porter, but not a bad little story, either. Five-year-old Amaryllis has grown up spoiled, raised exclusively by servants, without any love. Her divorced parents are absent. By running away, she manages to recapture the attention and love of her father and brother, as well as find true love (at the age of five!). The plot was a little odd to me but it was still a nice story if you can get over the five-year-old falling in love.
Such a lovely story! Enjoyed it a lot!
This book reads like a fairy tale. I really enjoy the world and people that the Authoress creates. Gene Stratton-Porter creates perfect characters with high moral values and no evident flaws. In her own words, the authoress states that the characters she portrays "create a picture true to ideal life; to the best that good men and good women can do at their level best."
Mar 17, 2008 Joy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Joy by: Sesika
Shelves: read-in-2008
Oh, the drama of a pampered child with everything money can buy, everything but love. Published in 1927.
Liza Verdon
Gene Stratton Porter never fails to make me laugh and cry. This book was really, really sweet.
Very sweet story with a great moral message. One of the books that my future children must read.
My Mother read this to me and ever since the Amaryllis has been my favorite flower.
Just as good as other books by Stratton-Porter. I love her writing!
25 Almost sickly sweet but a pretty little story
Such a beautiful story about the power of love!
A very cute book.
  • The Rim of the Prairie
  • The Rector's Daughter
  • The Bride Of The Wilderness (Paul Christopher #6)
  • They Loved to Laugh
  • Mermaid's Purse
  • Marilee (Sunfire, #9)
  • Lady Rose and Mrs. Memmary
  • Celia's House
  • The Believers (Kentuckians, #4)
She was an American author, amateur naturalist, wildlife photographer, and one of the earliest women to form a movie studio and production company. She wrote some of the best selling novels and well-received columns in magazines of the day.

Born Geneva Grace Stratton in Wabash County, Indiana, she married Charles D. Porter in 1886, and they had one daughter, Jeannette.

She became a wildlife photogra
More about Gene Stratton-Porter...
A Girl of the Limberlost (Limberlost, #2) Freckles (Limberlost #1) Laddie: A True Blue Story The Keeper of the Bees The Harvester