Start by marking “On Equilibrium” as Want to Read:
On Equilibrium

On Equilibrium

What does John Ralston Saul's influential philosophical trilogy Voltaire's Bastards, The Doubter's Companion and The Unconscious Civilization mean for the real lives of individuals? Is it possible to apply his groundbreaking theories to everyday life?

On Equilibrium presents us with a virtual "how to"of the ways that ideas can translate into action. Saul explains how our di
Published 2001 by Penguin Books Canada

To ask other readers questions about On Equilibrium, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On Equilibrium

Verity Bracken
Dec 02, 2011 Verity Bracken rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People interested in philosophy, history, humanism, complexity
Recommended to Verity by: My Teenage Self
I first read On Equilibrium in my early twenties and I remember it making quite an impression on me. Now in my mid-thirties I've decided to re-read it to see if I feel the same way about it.

John Ralston Saul's earlier books argue that Reason and Rationality hold too much influence over Western Society, an influence that has spun out of control to the extent that Reason has become another ideology ruined by it's own dogma, easily manipulated by people seeking power for it's own sake. In On Equil
Andre
Nov 05, 2009 Andre rated it really liked it
Shelves: social
It's a fairly hard read, but the author's insights are both valuable and timely. I'd recommend it to anyone that feels/believes that our society often behaves in an irrational manner, that contradicts what one might expect from an "intelligent" species.
H Wesselius
Not his best. In Voltaire's Bastards he produced a seminal original work illustrated by historical detail and in Unconscious Civilization he extends his ideas advocating for history, memory etc to compliment reason as opposed to being subjected by reason. Unconscious Civilization originated from the Massey Lectures a format that served the book well as it forced Saul to compress and tighten his ideas. In On Equilibrium he clearly needed someone or something to provide focus and brevity. His tend ...more
Ranmalee Gamage
Jan 14, 2011 Ranmalee Gamage marked it as to-read
Shelves: must-continue
Still Reading.. feeling the message
Harper R
Jun 15, 2011 Harper R rated it it was amazing
This is such an important book to read in these times. A sobering yet inspiring fidelity to shared forms of common sense that are what we need to look at to handle today's challenges in an ethical and intelligent manner. It is also a great antidote to narcissism tendencies in self-improvement ideologies.

I believe that the only true flowering from this book will come if more people talk about it. So I give this a strong recommendation to be recommended to others!
Vince
Mar 12, 2016 Vince rated it liked it
Shelves: dnf
I started this some years back - perhaps 2010. I enjoyed his remarks about the need to avoid elevating virtues in isolation - and the risks of doing so. His criticism of worshiping reason and discussion of its limitations was well-founded and has stuck with me.

Weighty stuff and I didn't get very far before my interests moved on. Three stars.
Mike
Sep 02, 2008 Mike rated it really liked it
A good (but hard) read on gaining various insights to the human experience. Recommended when one is in an introspective mood.
Seligne
May 06, 2009 Seligne rated it it was ok
I tried, but could not make head or tails of this book's point.
Sean
Sean rated it really liked it
Mar 17, 2016
Ryan
Ryan rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2012
Steve
Steve rated it liked it
Sep 28, 2016
Ryan Menard
Ryan Menard rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2014
Rhodes
Rhodes rated it it was amazing
Mar 29, 2013
John
John rated it it was amazing
Jan 13, 2012
Graham
Graham rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2015
Steve Whittle
Steve Whittle rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2014
Summersucks
Summersucks rated it really liked it
Apr 14, 2012
Smida918
Smida918 rated it really liked it
Dec 02, 2014
Ellen
Ellen rated it it was ok
Sep 25, 2010
Stephen Karr
Stephen Karr rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2014
Robert White
Robert White rated it it was amazing
Jun 09, 2012
Jarrah
Jarrah rated it liked it
May 17, 2012
Sean
Sean rated it really liked it
Jul 17, 2013
Pip Hunt
Pip Hunt rated it it was amazing
Dec 21, 2009
Sean Gustafson
Sean Gustafson rated it it was amazing
Sep 10, 2016
Camilo Umana
Camilo Umana rated it really liked it
Oct 09, 2016
Jim
Jim rated it liked it
Nov 24, 2008
Phillip Hatton
Phillip Hatton rated it really liked it
Aug 16, 2013
Robb
Robb rated it really liked it
Nov 27, 2008
Patrick M.
Patrick M. rated it it was amazing
Aug 06, 2008
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Poverty of Theory
  • Race Against Time: Searching for Hope in AIDS-Ravaged Africa
  • Return of the Straight Dope
  • Whatever You Are, Be a Good One
  • What Are Intellectuals Good For?
  • Worlds to Explore: Classic Tales of Travel and Adventure from National Geographic
  • Socialism
  • The Accumulation of Freedom: Writings on Anarchist Economics
  • 20 Hours, 40 Min:  Our Flight in the Friendship
  • First Footsteps in East Africa
  • Dark Age Ahead
  • The Trouble with Diversity: How We Learned to Love Identity and Ignore Inequality
  • Hitler's Spy Chief: The William Canaris Mystery
  • One Market Under God: Extreme Capitalism, Market Populism, and the End of Economic Democracy
  • Giving Offense: Essays on Censorship
  • Vimy
  • The Age of Consent: A Manifesto for a New World Order
  • The Times Complete History of the World
John Ralston Saul is a Canadian author, essayist, and President of International PEN. As an essayist, Saul is particularly known for his commentaries on the nature of individualism, citizenship and the public good; the failures of manager-, or more precisely technocrat-, led societies; the confusion between leadership and managerialism; military strategy, in particular irregular warfare; the role ...more
More about John Ralston Saul...

“We all need a bit of self-delusion. It gets us over the difficult spots." - John Ralston Saul, On Equilibrium” 2 likes