Start by marking “Thaw” as Want to Read:
Thaw

Thaw

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  81 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Dane is an ass. A smart, gifted ass. Until Guillain-Barre paralyzes him completely, and though seventy-five percent of GB patients make a full recovery, doctors don’t know when—or if—he’ll regain the use of his body.
Published May 1st 2008 by Front Street, Incorporated (first published April 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Thaw, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thaw

Melissa
Wisteriouswoman
This book is hard to read because of the harsh language and abusive attitude. I think it is a great book for both girls and boys in their teens. The main character is extremely unlikable because of his superior attitude and lack of compassion despite the fact that he is popular, smart and a champion athlete. You really wonder what his exceptionally bright and beautiful and loving girlfriend can see in such a selfish young man. He may be confused about why she leaves him but the reader is not.
I
Theresa
This one was surprisingly good. I almost finished it in one sitting.

Dane lives in northern New York and loves to ski. Unfortunately, his family has sent him to one of the country's best neurological rehab facilities in Florida to recover from Guillain-Barre Syndrome, a paralyzing disease. Dane knows from his doctors that there is a 75 percent chance that he will recover so he refuses help convinced he can recover on his own. But his physical recovery is slow and painful--things like turning page
khcpl teen scene
Kimberly
I was thoroughly taken with this book. I, and probably most people, had never heard of Guillan-Barre Syndrome and was intrigued to read about it.

Dane's character was one of the best parts of the story. He was completely unlikable at the beginning of the story, especially during the flashbacks, but his arrogance, anger, and frustration made the story more realistic. His anger at the beginning of the book, when he is first moved to Florida, was very real. I think most people take their health and
Abby Johnson
Dane Rafferty is perfect at pretty much everything he attempts... except connecting with other people. He's a star skier, takes AP classes, and has a magnetism that draws other people to him, even though he doesn't usually treat them very well. And Dane never needs help with anything. In fact, he looks down on anyone who asks for help. So when Dane is diagnosed with Guillain-Barre Syndrome, a rare neurological disorder that causes temporary paralysis, he's determined to beat it. 75% of sufferers ...more
Becky

Roe, Monica M. 2008. Thaw.

Our narrator, Dane Rafferty, is a dumb boy. And that's not an exaggeration. He's a boy that really and truly doesn't get it. Doesn't get what it means to be considerate, be nice, be respectful, be humane, be compassionate. Stubborn. Angry. Self-centered. Frustrated.

Dane, when we first meet, him is helpless. Stricken with a disease--Guillain-Barre Syndrome--Dane is paralyzed. The good news, 75% of patients with GBS recover and gain back use of their bodies. Dane is past
Jess
Like Alex Flinn's Breathing Underwater, which this reminded me of in mood rather than plot, the story is told by an unlikeable teenage narrator. Here, Dane's qualities are revealed to us gradually, as the perspective flips between his current stay in a rehabilitation center, where he's recovering from Guillain-Barre Syndrome, and the time prior to his paralysis, when he was a star athlete who resented his teammates who couldn't keep up. Oh, we think, and now he's partially paralyzed and will com ...more
Meagan
May 06, 2009 Meagan rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: ya
This book tells the story of a very active, self-assured teen named Dane. He lives in the northeast United States where he is a star skier, dates a sweet and beautiful girl, and is expected to go on to an Ivy League school after graduation. A disease called Guillan-Barre Syndrome puts all his plans on hold and forces him to examine his own behavior and his relationship with his father.

I found this book to be fairly enjoyable, although it was hard for me to really connect with Dane as a character
Laurie
Not knowing anything about Guillain-Barre Syndrome I found this book very interesting. The main character Dane is pretty clueless, but as a highly driven high school athlete I could buy into his attitudes. The author created very believable characters, and I liked the "flashback" style she used to tell the story. I have to admit that some of the student's behavior seemed more like what you would see with college students, for example Dane & his girlfriend take off for over night camping & ...more
Rio
High School ski star with a popular girlfriend comes down, suddenly, with Guillan-Bare Syndrome and his whole life is turned upside-down. Left in an out-of-state hospital to recover by his distant parents, dumped by his girlfriend, and unable to care for himself, the main character struggles to cope with his new reality. Character development is lacking and his constant abrasiveness to others wears thin. Not a very good read.
Heather
Wow! I feel kind of weird giving a book five stars when the main character was so awful. Total jerk. Major another-name-for-a-donkey. He was so dislikable. Not evil, but completly self absorbed. Watching him learn to be a human being while recovering from G.B. syndrome (I'm not even going to try to spell it) was at times like watching a train wreck and at times like cheering on the underdog. I'm so glad I picked this up.
Jessica
This was an excellent read; it only took me 4 plus years to get around to it. I'm surprised my library still carries it because it's a stand alone title with an odd cover, but the story was well written, though-provoking, and compelling. Enough so that I read it overnight.
Sophie
An sich ein nettes Buch für zwischendurch. Die Krankheit war gut erklärt und auch realistisch dargestellt, jedoch sind einige Sachen was die Nebencharaktere betrifft nicht richtig dargestellt worden, was ich sehr schade finde (besonders in Bezug auf Joel, Anya und Carissa)
Claire
Briefly, Dane is paralyzed and ungraciously refuses help or solace from anyone around him in the rehab center. This story follows his path as he slowly joins his fellows who are wonderfully tolerant of his antics. Great story about dealing with disability.
Kelsey
I actually really enjoyed this book. A very quick read. I'm a bit disappointed that it was so short. This novel is a nice addition to the kid-diagnosed-with-an-illness genre. I look forward to more work from this author.
Mrs. Kenyon
Dane has a disease that is no longer life threatening, but has left him with months of physical therapy. He was always challenged to be the best, and now he has to deal with not even being average.
Adam
This is one of the best books that I read recently. I was impressed with the medical knowledge especially, it really captures how life is for patients in hospitals and rehabilitation centers.
Sara
The book Thaw was very strange. I wanted to keep reading, but it was very confusing. Overall this bok was good.
Keaton Voyles
Keaton Voyles marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Beizal
Beizal marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
Joan
Joan marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
Michele
Michele marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Monica Roe works as a traveling physical therapist. Originally from the Finger Lakes region of upstate New York, she now works here and there around the country.

She spent last winter in the northwoods of Wisconsin, learning to build wooden furniture and being educated about the finer points of Packers football.

Recently she moved to Nome, Alaska, where she just saw the finish of the Iditarod dogsle
More about Monica M. Roe...