Start by marking “Uncentering the Earth: Copernicus and The Revolutions of the Heavenly Spheres” as Want to Read:
Uncentering the Earth: Copernicus and The Revolutions of the Heavenly Spheres

Uncentering the Earth: Copernicus and The Revolutions of the Heavenly Spheres (Great Discoveries)

3.15 of 5 stars 3.15  ·  rating details  ·  78 ratings  ·  14 reviews
In 1543, the Polish astronomer Nicolaus Copernicus lay on his deathbed, reportedly holding his just-published masterpiece, The Revolutions of the Heavenly Spheres, in his hands. Placing the sun at the center of the universe, Copernicus launched modern science, leading to a completely new understanding of the universe, and humanity's place within it.

But what did Copernicus
Published February 17th 2007 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Uncentering the Earth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Uncentering the Earth

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis

Every damn'd Vollmann angel. Voll=bracht.

photo vollmann_zpsad916c5e.jpg
Joseph Nicolello
The negative reviews for this one are just outrageous, and each time I find myself sifting through another on this rainy day, I doubt that anyone's reading life is actually enhanced by this site. Vollmann is not to Copernicus as, say, Gabelentz was to the linguistic history of early Chinese emperors, though our dear Vollmann does a great, thorough job - he does the job of a reputable writer, scrupulous researcher, microscopically attentive - forever imitated, never matched. I cannot comprehend h ...more
Geoff
Apr 05, 2013 Geoff marked it as to-read
A reviewer named Ross Cann (those two sets of twinned letters already make me suspicious) really piqued my interest in this with these statements from his .2. star review of this book: "The style of the prose is a kind of jocular flippancy which was very annoying to me. The author doesn't really understand the material and he as much as says so." Right on.
Phillip Ramm
The volubility of William T. Vollman is legendary. For one essay>novel he was he asked to make his sentences shorter: he replied that he couldn't write a short novel, let alone a short sentence. (Or words to that effect.) At least this text is a whisper under 300pg. Very pithy for Vollman. But the less than intellectual voice makes him both approachable and also off-putting for those who want a more scientific tome.

The other reviewers seem to either go slightly insane when praising him, or t
Jonas
I have wanted to read Vollman for quite some time and I found this book, and 'Rising up and rising down' on the shelf in a small ceramic store on the coast of Sagres. Naturally, I had to buy them both (among some other ones (dang! that store had a good collection of cheap English books)). Now I think that I would appreciate his fictitious works more but this was a nice read nonetheless.

I have never been great with geometry so the parts in which Vollman introduces the reader to Copernicus way of
Dmitry
An absolutely necessarily confusing and heartbreaking account of scientific discovery, that's a great companion to, for example, "The Double Helix."
Ross
This book is not at all what I was looking for when I picked it off the library shelf, just browsing for a good book to read.
What I wanted was an explanation of how Copernicus managed to reason out that the sun is the center of the solar system, not the earth. Near the end of the book the author actually apologizes for not delivering what I was seeking.
Doing some research I learn that this book is one of a series written on the great scientific discoveries of history - but get this - written by
Bookmarks Magazine

Though Norton's Great Discoveries series intends to bring science to the general reader, Vollmann's measure of success in that endeavor proves as divisive as the theory he tries to explicate. Fresh from a National Book Award for his omnibus novel Europe Central (***1/2 July/Aug 2005), Vollmann claims amateur status as an astronomer and then busies his pages with intelligent, intricate readings of Copernicus's thought. Critics feeling he has done an admirable job beseech the reader to be patient:

Russ
This is an interesting book, and Vollman gets high marks for actually reading Copernicus (I tried once and gave up quickly). As part of a series of books on scientists by non-scientists, it is written at an appropriate level for someone like me. Vollman isn't interested so much in the science as he is in the place of Copernicanism in history. He notes often that astronomy has advanced so far that Copernicus seems quaint in his insistence on circular motion even with his heliocentric universe. Wh ...more
Adam
A weird little book explaining Copernicus's life's work. I admit I skimmed through a lot of the more technical details; if you are not geometrically inclined (I'm not), it's easy to get really lost as Vollmann regales you with all kinds of fun astronomical work - think lots of angles, arcs, and circles mapped against the night sky. Despite the density of that stuff, Vollmann keeps things lively and his sense of craft is as good as usual. If you're expecting a clear explication of the science or ...more
Bennett
This is one in a series about scientific topics written by non-scientists. I thought going in that, because of that, the subject would be approachable and readable. I was very disappointed. Apart from the tone of the writing that I found somewhat smug and condenscending, gleaning anything interesting from the book just took way too much effort. I will take Timothy Ferris or Neil DeGraase Tyson (Real scientists writing about science) anyday.
Jesse K
I love Vollmann to death. My rating is honestly more indicative of my own failings than any inherent flaws in the book. I'm not really a science person. Consequently, this was a tough book to get through. I would really only recommend it to Vollmann obsessed people and those who didn't fall asleep in their science classes.
Alayne
CRAP! I very rarely give up on a book - in fact this is only the 3rd book ever that I have given up on. Just not interesting or useful.
geekboy42
Painful. Glad that I am finished with it.
Fishsanwitt
Jan 10, 2009 Fishsanwitt marked it as to-read
Shelves: catalogued
stamped
Faridali
Faridali marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2015
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
Amira Mahmoud
Amira Mahmoud marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2014
Graham Stewart
Graham Stewart marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2014
Ahmed Hamzawy
Ahmed Hamzawy marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Rhys Gwyther
Rhys Gwyther marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
Pablo
Pablo marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Lynne King
Lynne King marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Christian Bowe
Christian Bowe marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
Glenn Stewart
Glenn Stewart marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
  • Conversations About the End of Time
  • Obsessive Genius: The Inner World of Marie Curie
  • Newton's Gift: How Sir Isaac Newton Unlocked the System of the World
  • Alpha and Omega: The Search for the Beginning and End of the Universe
  • Sleep Thieves: an Eye-Opening Exploration into the Science and Mysteries of Sleep
  • The Riemann Hypothesis: The Greatest Unsolved Problem in Mathematics
  • Love at Goon Park: Harry Harlow and the Science of Affection
  • The Future of Spacetime
  • Faust in Copenhagen: A Struggle for the Soul of Physics
  • Before the Big Bang: The Prehistory of Our Universe
  • The Man Who Knew Too Much: Alan Turing and the Invention of the Computer
  • Introducing Time (Introducing (Icon))
  • A Brief History of the Universe
  • 31 Days: The Crisis That Gave Us the Government We Have Today
William Tanner Vollmann is an American novelist, journalist, short story writer and essayist. He lives in Sacramento, California with his wife and daughter.

More about William T. Vollmann...

Great Discoveries (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Everything and More: A Compact History of Infinity
  • The Doctors' Plague: Germs, Childbed Fever, and the Strange Story of Ignac Semmelweis
  • Einstein's Cosmos: How Albert Einstein's Vision Transformed Our Understanding of Space and Time
  • Obsessive Genius: The Inner World of Marie Curie
  • Incompleteness: The Proof and Paradox of Kurt Gödel (Great Discoveries)
  • Miss Leavitt's Stars: The Untold Story of the Woman Who Discovered How to Measure the Universe
  • Lavoisier in the Year One: The Birth of a New Science in an Age of Revolution
  • The Man Who Knew Too Much: Alan Turing and the Invention of the Computer
  • The Reluctant Mr. Darwin: An Intimate Portrait of Charles Darwin and the Making of His Theory of Evolution
  • A Force of Nature: The Frontier Genius of Ernest Rutherford
Europe Central The Rainbow Stories Whores for Gloria You Bright and Risen Angels Poor People