Start by marking “Dawn (Cutler, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dawn (Cutler, #1)

Dawn (Cutler #1)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  12,461 ratings  ·  220 reviews
In her fine new Virginia school, Dawn Longchamp feels happy and safe. But nothing is what it seems...

Now Dawn and her older brother Jimmy have a chance for a decent, respectable life, and Dawn's
secret, precious hope to study singing can come true. Philip Cutler, the handsomest boy in school, sets Dawn's heart on fire. She is deeply devoted to her brooding brother; but with

Audio CD
Published January 28th 2003 by ISIS Audio Books (first published November 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Dawn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dawn

Shannon
This whole series could be great. It has all the elements: mystery, deceit, betrayal. Unfortunately, it was written by Andrew Neiderman, the person Andrews' family chose to continue her legacy. Why they chose a man, particularly this man, is beyond me. The writing is terrible. The dialog is unbelievable and idiotic and makes all the characters (especially Dawn) appear incredibly stupid. Just very bad.
Jess
Jun 23, 2012 Jess rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Middle schoolers
Shelves: vc-andrews
I keep wondering why in the world V.C. Andrews books are so popular, and I keep wondering why I buy them at garage sales, and then I finish one and realize they are such campy trash and I love them.

"Dawn" is no exception. Even though this was one of the books ghostwritten after Andrews' death, it follows the same basic elements of any classic Andrews novel: Innocent fair-haired protagonist, rags to riches story, incredibly talented and attractive youths, evil old woman, and a whole lotta incest.
Bark's Book Nonsense
Meg ♥
This was my favorite book when I was 15. I remember a friend giving me this book, and how our parents let us read it honestly having no clue of the content. My friend and I would sit on the phone for hours laughing at the authors use of the word "hardness"..Yes we were that mature!

Recently I reread it and sadly the book didn't stand the test of time. I can reread Flowers in The Attic over and over again, but somehow I just can't read 90% of the books done by Andrews' ghost writer.

As far as Dawn
Camille
This book is in my favorites section and I feel the need to explain... it's more for sentimental value not actually the greatness of the writing.

In 7th grade while all my friends were into the Sweet Valley High books, I was devouring the world of V.C. Andrews. It’s something about the lonely, outcast, but talented orphan, finding her "real" family which happens to ridiculously rich. Of course her real family treats her horribly because of the "secret scandal" which expunged her from the family i
I don't know why I ever try to read serious books. It should be all V.C. Andrews, all the time. It's like watching an episode of Maury Povich or Jerry Springer, only better because you're reading it and improving your mind at the same time!

Dawn is exactly like Heaven (from V.C. Andrews' Casteel series) except she's blonde instead of brunette and lives in Richmond, Virginia instead of the West Virginia mountains. Everything else the same -- dirt-poor upbringing, secret wealthy parents, mean girls
Dawn Campbell
My sister had a box of books in her closet and the only reason I picked this up is because my name was the title! Little did I know what I was about to get myself into! All of V.C. Andrews' books (be it the ones she wrote or the ghost writers after her) are quite interesting. As soon as I finished this book, I was hooked on all her others. I've fallen off the wagon the past year or two, but I hope to catch up to them all.
Jamie
I think in my pre-teen years I read all the VC Andrews books with my best-friend Trish at my side. love you trish!
Delicious Strawberry
After VC Andrews died, it was left to Andrew Neiderman to finish the four books she had started but did not finish. After he did so, he wrote this book. It is supposed to have been based off notes and outlines left by VC before her untimely death. I know that some people were unhappy with Neiderman for this book and series, but I feel that the Cutler series reflected Neiderman's best efforts. It's clear that he put a lot of effort into this series as compared to his later works... which consist ...more
Neva
Nov 17, 2007 Neva rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People with serious problems
Dawn is probably the worst book VC Andrews never wrote. It's the story of an impoverished vagabond who lives in Virginia with her parents and brother and sister. Her father gets a job as a janitor at a fancy private school, and Dawn and her brother Jimmy can go for free. Surprise, surprise, it's full of snobs and they hate Dawn and her brother. Everyone except a totally hot dude! I never realized while reading this in middle school how fast Dawn's romance with Philip progresses - they eat peanut ...more
Halcyon Daze
This book wasn't actually written by the great V.C. Andrews but rather a the ghostwriter, and it shows.

I mean, he has a lot of the shallower aspects of the books down. Beautiful, innocent heroine, long-lost family, incest, a big, pimped-out house with its own name (Cutler Cove this time), but it's superficial. It doesn't have the same dramatic, almost adolescent feel of the real V.C. Andrews book.

Dawn is about a girl named Dawn who comes from a really poor family, but then it turns out (shocker)
Mell
Another book I found in an old pile from high school. Ugh, I can't believe adults let me read these. While I don't remember VC Andrews books as graphic, they were full of incestuous brother-sister relationships.

Why did anyone read these? And there are about a million different VC Andrews series. Sadly, I owned several. In hardback. They might have been gifts! I packed them off to Goodwill, as I can't toss (or burn, ha) even bad, bad books.
Yusra

I do not recommend this series unless you enjoy soap operas and you’re most recent favourite show just got cancelled, and maybe then you will find this to your liking.
Vanessa Salazar
I actually read Dawn several years ago. I lent it out and got it back around July this year, which is why I forgot that I had already read it. Within the first few pages I vaguely remembered the story. I continued reading and ended up looking at the book in a very different way.

The book was very engaging and well written. I might not continue the series because it is basically the same types of scenarios as the Dollanganger Series, which I have already read and loved.

The main character, Dawn, d
Kris - My Novelesque Life
When I read these novels back in the day I would have given them 3-3.5 STARS and now would say about one Star

I started reading VC Andrews books in the 1991 and stopped about 2003.

I have read:
-Hudson Series
-Shooting Stars Series
-DeBeers Series
-Broken Wings Series

As a preteen reading these novels was a rebellion and the gothic theme also seemed cool. I stopped reading this author because
Zonah
reading this book made me feel mature and i tried imagining myself into the situations...that was a great deal...hats off to V.C.Andrews...and especially to Dawn..!!
Inés
Sabía que esta autora tenía cierta fama, pero me llamó horrores la atención el título (sí, puede ser una chorrada, pero me encanta el nombre de Dawn/Aurora, como lo ví traducido) y una noche que estaba aburrida me puse a leerlo en el Kindle para ver cómo era.

Creo que jamás he murmurado tantas veces "hij@/s de p***" leyendo un libro. Se lee enseguida y después de los primeros capítulos, casi todos los restantes te dejan WTF! y tienes que seguir leyendo. Se sufre mucho, eso es verdad y acabo de ve
Brittany
V.C Andrews never disappoints.
Iolanda
3.5 STARS

Well, this was no Flowers In The Attic and certainly didn't impact me much like FITA did but it was still enjoyable. This is a solid effort from the Ghostwriter--the plot intrigued me and I was desperate to get my hands on this, so when I finally got around to reading it, I was impressed, until I started to notice that the GW stole some of the writing from FITA, it angered me, it made me think bitterly about him again. His lack of creativity and use of plagiarism disgusting me. But t
Molli Moran
Kim Smiley
Daisy Arellano
I liked this book because it had interesting twists and turns and it was kind of sad and shocking. In the story a young girl named dawn has to transfer to a new school. Where she gets a boyfriend. Later in the story she learns this boy is her brother and her worst enemy is her sister. Also that she was kidnapped and when everything seems wierd enough she learns that her kidnapping was planned by her grandmother and the reason was because her mother cheated on her father and ended up with her. Wh ...more
Kathryn
I agree with Delicious Strawberry. Dawn and in fact the entire Cutler series represents a solid effort by V.C. Andrews ghostwriter Andrew Neiderman to continue to write books based on the notes of the deceased author. Sure, there are a number of stylistic differences between the two authors (and a major typo early on where the author accidentally switches narratives, but blame for that lies with the editing) but those are small grumbles, when compared to the quality of the series overall.

Dawn in
Kate ADale
Rissy
Cheyenne Bowers
Dawn was raised a longchamp in a poor but loving famil and when it was discovered she was stolen as a baby she is returned to her true family where she feels anything but right at home. In cutlers cove her real family's successful hotel business scandal and heartbreak run rampid as no one truly knows what it means to love one another Dawn struggles to keep the memories of her kidnappers whom she loves. she learns that Money in a family does not mean a loving environment.
Angel **Book Junkie**
As always the book did not disappoint.
Yes, there is incest..yes there are things that some people find disgusting but the whole thing I find interesting is that V.C. Andrews never disappoints.
It always brings me back and now that I am older and actually reading some of these books for the first time I am at a level that I find myself seeing some of the things in a different light.
I loved Dawn and thought that more times than one she showed a backbone that few others would have shown in her si
Holly Badour
My aunt gave me a whole bunch of VC Andrew's book when I was young and they have sat on my bookshelf for over 15yrs. This is the first one I have ever read.
I can honestly say that half the book is gross and very disturbing. I was glad that Dawn finally stood up to her grandmother and I can't wait till Clara Sue gets what's coming to her.
Brittany
I read this book and the rest of The Cutler series years ago, and have reread them at least 3 times since. I really loved this series; I love how Dawn starts off as a very shy and sweet girl in the first novel and then turns into a very powerful business woman. Her strong personality is always what I hoped to have. Usually I do not like V.C Andrews 4th novel (which usually is from the main characters daughters point of view). That was not the case here; I enjoyed Christies personality as well. I ...more
Another World: Discussion Questions (May contain slight spoilers) 1 3 Feb 04, 2014 06:59PM
  • The Dance (Final Friends, #2)
  • Comes the Blind Fury
  • Twisted (Point Horror, #2)
  • Dangerous Love (Sweet Valley High, #6)
  • Blood Roots
Books published under the following names - Virginia Andrews, V. Andrews, Virginia C. Andrews & V.C. Endrius. Books since her death ghost written by Andrew Neiderman, but still attributed to the V.C. Andrews name

Virginia Cleo Andrews (born Cleo Virginia Andrews) was born June 6, 1923 in Portsmouth, Virginia. The youngest child and the only daughter of William Henry Andrews, a career navy man
More about V.C. Andrews...

Cutler (5 books)
  • Secrets of the Morning (Cutler, #2)
  • Twilight's Child (Cutler #3)
  • Midnight Whispers (Cutler #4)
  • Darkest Hour (Cutler, #5)
Flowers in the Attic (Dollanganger, #1) Petals on the Wind (Dollanganger, #2) If There Be Thorns (Dollanganger, #3) Seeds of Yesterday (Dollanganger, #4) Garden of Shadows (Dollanganger, #5)