Start by marking “Im Sturm erobert (Arcane Society, #1)” as Want to Read:
Im Sturm erobert (Arcane Society, #1)

Im Sturm erobert (The Arcane Society #1)

3.83  ·  Rating Details  ·  10,116 Ratings  ·  475 Reviews
Przed wiekami w pracowni wielkiego alchemika powstał życiodajny eliksir. Cenna receptura nie powinna nigdy trafić w niepowołane ręce. Dlatego spoczęła w zapięczętowanym kufrze i została dobrze ukryta. Teraz znów staje się przedmiotem pożądania. Niebezpieczny złoczyńca nie cofnie się przed morderstwem, by zdobyć sekretną formułę. Tylko Venetia, właścicielka londyńskiej gale ...more
Published 2006 by Portobello

To ask other readers questions about Im Sturm erobert, please sign up.

SRH i would definitely recommend to read it in order. you will enjoy it much more-the layers of the story unravel in every book, and you find out more and…morei would definitely recommend to read it in order. you will enjoy it much more-the layers of the story unravel in every book, and you find out more and more.(less)

Alex is The Romance Fox
I am not exactly an historical romance lover and you probably thinking…if so, why did I even pick this book up and what made me like it so much………….. ?

Having read and liked 5 of the books in Jayne Ann Krentz’s Arcane Society Series, I have wanted to read the rest of the series and discovered that Second Sight was Book 1 and it would give me the back-story on the series and how the secretive Arcane Society was started and what it represents. Men and women with paranormal abilities!!!!

The book blu
Robin (Bridge Four)
3.5 Stars

Historical Fiction + Paranormal Elements + Sexy Times. Well, well, well this is right up my alley.

I like the idea of adding Paranormal aspects in a Victorian setting. The romance/sexy times isn’t as much in the forefront of the story as I would have liked for a book like this but the Murder Mystery was fun and made up for it.

In this setting some individuals have evolved to have certain Arcane powers of some sort. Venitia can see auras and sense energies on artifacts. She is the eldest
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
This was an entertaining book, but I think it could have been more enthralling. I felt a connection between Venetia and Gabriel, but I felt that it should have been more intense physically. The love scenes were way too abbreviated considering that Gabriel was a man of strong passions, although he was trying to keep those under control. I think too much focus was placed on the mystery and not enough on the romance. Had this been marketed as a mystery novel, I would have no complaints. But since i ...more
Lizzy
I took me a long while to start reading the Arcane Society series. It seems that I suffered from a misapprehension that I would not enjoy a historical novel with paranormal twists ( Jayne Anne Krentz/ Amanda Quick begins the series on the Victorian time, only later I realized it went back and forth between historical and contemporary settings, to later go foward to the future). So I was wrong, and although it wasn’t an exceptional beginning, I enjoyed Second Sight.

Photographer Venetia Milton i
Daniella
Jul 30, 2015 Daniella rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It pains me to give this such a bad rating, especially since I absolutely love Amanda Quick, but Second Sight has too many flaws to ignore--one of which, the characterisation issue, prevented me from enjoying the novel to the fullest.

First, the writing lacked smoothness and clarity. The story did not flow fluidly from chapter to chapter. In fact, it was more like a collection of disorganised and disjointed pieces than a coherent whole.

I'm acquainted with Ms. Quick's writing well enough to know
Jasmin
I positively adore Amanda Quick and I absolutely love her historical romances. Except this one.

This book disappointed me. I was expecting something hilarious and something that would cause my heart to flutter in my chest. But it definitely wasn't this.

Apparently, Amanda Quick wants to try writing paranormal romance since the genre sells like hotcakes, but this attempt is utter failure. She doesn't use any vampires in the book, but she might as well thrown in a little vampire action in the mix, s
Freda Malone
I decided to read this historical paranormal fiction because I was looking for a new series of books. I like psychics who are humble with their gifts. This is the first book in the series but it does not seem that the characters will be continued on to the next book(s). Upon reading the blurbs, I have stumbled on a series of an Arcane Society, which its focal point is just that, a Society of ancient history, generations of ancestors passing on their gifts to their children, grandchildren and so ...more
Jacob Proffitt
I know that I started this book once before, but I can't for the life of me remember when or why I didn’t finish. I suspect it was a Kindle sample and being that it's published by Penguin, the price was simply too outrageous to pony up the money. I mean, when the Kindle version costs more than the paperback, you know that somebody has a flawed view of consumer value.

Anyway, I picked up some Jayne Ann Krentz books recently, including the second in the Arcane Society series (Amanda Quick is a pseu
Lisa Kay
Really 3 stars. Well narrated by Anne Flosnik. I could swear I’ve read this book b/f, but I know that is not possible. I think AQ just recycled some of her plotlines on this one. The romance happened too fast and the reasoning for her taking his name was kind of “Huh?” (IMHO). I said this again over his reasons for returning from the dead. Not one of my favorites by this author. Still, it was good enough that I'll continue with the series. ...more
Amelia-Irene
Feb 28, 2011 Amelia-Irene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Veneta Milton is doing something unusual in Victorian society, she's working as a photographer. As she's over the typical age of women looking for a husband. She's also responsible for her younger siblings and for her aunt. Any man that she might want to marry would also have the responsibility for them as well. As she doesn't see a husband in her future, she's decided that she doesn't want to die a virgin, she will take a night where she might know the "sins of the flesh". Veneta gives herself ...more
Josen
Feb 22, 2016 Josen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-library
What can I say I'm a sucker for historical romance. :) Gabriel and Venetia are two people who both have "psychical" abilities. She can see auras and he can sense spoors (tracks or traits left by people meaning harm). It's Victorian London, it's romance, it's "psychical".......I'm so there. :) This is an Arcane Society series but each book is a stand alone. Will I continue it? Uhh.....yeah! Lol! But only the historical ones. Amanda Quick is a pseudonym for Jayne Ann Krentz. Part of this series is ...more
Linda
Closer to 2.5 Stars

Years ago I gave Jayne Krentz aka Amanda Quick a couple of tries with some books of hers. I remembered I just wasn't interested and dropped what I had started. But I know she has devoted fans. When I ran across her name at the library recently, I decided to give her another go.

SECOND SIGHT is the first book in the 'Arcane Society' series and takes place during Victorian times. A.S. is a parapsychological organization made up of individuals who have extra-sensory abilities. Gab
This book was just as enjoyable as the others in this series I've read. If you're a fan of Jayne Ann Krentz/Amanda Quick, then you should definitely enjoy this book as well.

I've been reading the Arcane Society books out of order (so far #2, #3, #6 and #1), but they all work well as stand alones, though I can definitely see where reading them in order would be beneficial.

I love Ms. Krentz's writing style, her books were some of the first I read when making the transition in to more adult reading.
Jessie
Feb 07, 2013 Jessie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-hardcover
I've heard the term wallpaper historical before, and now I'm going to invent a new term just for this book: wallpaper paranormal.

This book had the potential to be really interesting: a historical romance with paranormal elements. Yay! Instead, the world building was so feather-light as to almost be nonexistent, both on the historical romance side and the paranormal side. The romance felt rushed and the mystery was resolved with almost no help from the main characters.

I did like Venetia quite a l
Teagan
May 20, 2008 Teagan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: keepers
I've long been a fan of anything by Amanda Quick/J.A.Krentz/Jayne Castle, but I am fairly new to the Society books that she's been doing. I don't know of many authors who can balance out the intrigue, romance and the psychical storylines as well as she does. Her chapters are richly textured and nothing is put to waste. You read her books and find yourself totally engrossed in the story. For a fellow writer, sometimes the ability to lose yourself in any book is a hard thing to do. Venetia's abili ...more
Jacqueline
An Arcane Society novel. I liked it but am not as fond of the historical novels in this series as I am the modern ones. They always seem more light and fluffy. The motivations of the characters are fairly flimsy but it all hangs together. We don't spend much time at all in the characters heads learning what they are feeling so we don't invest as much in them as in some other authors.

As is normal for this series, an amusing story without being laugh out loud. Comfortable and easy to spend a coup
Kari Chapman
I came to this book after reading books in the Harmony and Rainshadow series. In looking up the next books in those series, I realized they tracked back to this Arcane Society series. In fact, the most recent Rainshadow book I read had direct plot lines back to Second Sight.

I am very glad that I didn't find this one until after being well into Harmony and Rainshadow. I fear that if I'd actually tracked everything back to this book first I wouldn't have continued on and found the fun on Harmony.
Susan
Sep 19, 2013 Susan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, 2013
This was just an OK story for me. Nothing wrong with it but I found it slow-going. Some was really interesting, other parts just 'meh'. I was hoping for something different and didn't get it so I'm afraid that I probably won't continue on with this series.
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
Ohh, I like this new series. Gabriel is pretty hot. I enjoy the arcane theme and how this society is starting up. These secret societies which is set up to do good always bring a smile to my face. I kind of wish I was in one of these.
jD
The characters were boring and the story was lacking in every way that counts. I am still amazed by how bad it was. I really did not want to give up that one star.
Anita
Actual Rating: 3.5 Stars

I sat on this review for a few days wondering what to say about Second Sightonly to realize that I really could not think of anything else to say about it at all that would be useful in a review. Because, unlike the other two Amanda Quick books I've already read, this one wasn't really all that memorable. My only notion is that I enjoyed it while I was reading it and it captured my attention enough for me to breeze through the entire story--conflict, romance, and all.

I re
Aarann
Apr 10, 2015 Aarann rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: meh, own-audio
2.5 stars.

This book was... okay...

Honestly, I really don't have much to say about it. It's been three days since I finished it and I've already forgotten big chunks of it. Basically, Venetia and Gabriel get biz-ay, she discovers a few days later that he is "dead", and when she moves to London to start her own business (something that unmarried women cannot do, so she must create a widowhood), she takes his name as her own to remember the man who took her virginity. Of course Gabriel isn't dead a
Majo
Empecé esta saga por el libro dos, El Tercer Círculo y me encantó. La verdad es que me tomo por sorpresa porque yo esperaba un romance histórico y me encontré inmersa en un mundo metafísico con secretismo y sociedades secretas. Ese libro me gusto tanto que decidí leer los siguientes de la saga, pero empezar por el primero esta vez.

Vaya decepción.

El libro esta bueno, sí, pero comparándolo con El tercer círculo, no le llega ni a los talones...

Para empezar, Venetia no terminaba de caerme del todo
Metaspinster
I'm giving this one four stars even though it's maybe not the very best of this series, but it was the first one I read and it hooked me. [And indeed, certain elements that can become a trifle repetitive in later books are fresh and new in this one.] Also, there's early photography! And a plucky, resourceful heroine who's doing just fine with her assorted eccentric relatives and friends and doesn't NEED the hero, but.

Plus, it's always a relief to find a historical romance which is not all about
Rosina
May 26, 2011 Rosina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book. I love stories set in Victorian times. I like being transported to those times and imagining what it would be like to live in those times.

Venetia Milton is a woman in her late twenties, over proper marrying age. She has already accepted the fact that she will never have a husband but does not see why she can't enjoy a little passion in her life.
She is sent to photograph certain artifacts for a very secret society, the Arcane Society, when she meets Gabriel Jones.

Gabriel s
Dianne
Set in the Victorian era, Amanda Quick, (aka: Jayne Krentz)opens her new series with a story about photographer Venetia Milton, her family's sole support and the handsome and mysterious Gabriel Jones, a client who has hired her to take photographs of valuable relics.

Venetia has decided to lose her 'innocence' to Gabriel, because as things stand, she will die a spinster! Unfortunately, immediately after, Gabriel is thought to have been killed in a fire that consumed his home. Not one to miss out
Christine
I got confused by the fact that this author writes under both Amanda Quick and Jayne Ann Krentz, so even though this is the first book in the Arcane Society series, I read it 2nd. For those who are unaware, Amanda Quick is the pseudonym for her historical romance novels, including those novels in the Arcane Society series that take place in 19th century England. Jayne Ann Krentz is the pseudonym she uses for modern novels, including the Arcane Society novels that take place in modern-day America ...more
Stacie  M. Ritchie
This is the first book in the Arcane Society series by Amanda Quick/Jayne Ann Krentz. Venetia Milton is a photographer. She has been supporting and running her family since the death of her parents. Family secrets came out and she was forced to support her younger siblings and aunt. She is commissioned to photograph the Arcane Society’s collection of artifacts. She knows this the only time that she doesn’t have to think about her reputation. Gabriel Jones is a hunter with all the senses that com ...more
Sojourner McConnell
Jan 29, 2016 Sojourner McConnell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal
This was the first one of the Arcane Society books and it really was interesting. Venetia Milton and Gabriel Jones had similar paths in their paranormal experiences. They also had chemistry. Even though Gabriel didn't always want to admit it.

This was a fun read with very good characters that kept heading to solve the theft of the notebook that had secrets to increasing the powers of others like Venetia and Gabriel. The book is filled with secrets and danger and is a lively read.
Sillylittlefishey
Jul 27, 2012 Sillylittlefishey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't think I'd like this book based on the synopsis and the fact that I lost interest while reading it. But I decided to read the book anyway because there were books later in the series that I did want to read and I'm obsessive about reading books in order. I was amazed that I was hooked by the end of the 1st chapter and did not want to put it down. Unfortunately the book takes a nosedive and does have a significant block of boredom where we see a lot of Venetia's day to day life and how he ...more
  • Sizzle and Burn (Arcane Society, #3)
  • Midnight Crystal (Ghost Hunters, #7; Arcane Society #9; Dreamlight Trilogy #3)
Pseudonym of Jayne Ann Krentz

She earned a B.A. in History from the Uni
More about Amanda Quick...

The Arcane Society (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • White Lies (Arcane Society, #2)
  • Sizzle and Burn (Arcane Society, #3)
  • The Third Circle (Arcane Society, #4)
  • Running Hot (Arcane Society, #5)
  • The Perfect Poison (Arcane Society, #6)
  • Fired Up (Arcane Society, #7; Dreamlight Trilogy, #1)
  • Burning Lamp (Arcane Society, #8; Dreamlight Trilogy, #2)
  • In Too Deep (Arcane Society, #10; Looking Glass Trilogy, #1)
  • Quicksilver (Arcane Society, #11; Looking Glass Trilogy #2)

“There was nothing like having a dead husband return from the grave to ruin a fine spring morning.” 66 likes
“I am crushed by your poor opinion
But will endeavor to carry on.”
24 likes