Geheimnis der Nacht

Geheimnis der Nacht

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  5,057 ratings  ·  239 reviews
The Earl of St. Merryn needs a woman. His intentions are purely practical - he simply wants someone sensible and suitably lovely to pose as his betrothed for a few weeks among polite society. He has his own agenda to pursue, and a false fiancée will keep the husband-hunters at bay while he goes about his business. The easiest solution is to hire a paid companion.

However, f...more
Published 2005 by Blanvalet (first published January 1st 2004)

becky
May 31, 2009 becky rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Of the few Amanda Quick books I've read in the last month I liked this one more than the others (but that's not a great measurement since many of the others I decided to stop reading midway through). I'd say, overall, I actually did like this book - until the end. It goes a little something like this:

Her: Uh oh, love him.

Him: I want to have sex with her.

Her: I can never be with him, but I'll have sex with him.

Him: Damn, I really like having sex with her. I might even like her.

Her: Oh god, I love...more
Caz
Jun 29, 2013 Caz rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes light-hearted romance with a bit of mystery thrown in.
This was a lot of fun to listen to although I suspect I might not have enjoyed it as much had I read the book. Michael Page is one of those narrators whose name on an audiobook is guaranteed to make me take a second or third look, and even though he’s not narrated a huge number of romance novels, I’ve enjoyed those I’ve heard. (Most recently, I liked his reading of Victoria Alexander’s The Importance of Being Wicked.)

The plot in this story centres around Arthur Lancaster, Earl of St. Merryn and...more
Julia
Oh this audiobook! How could I ever forget listening to you!

Personal Backstory:
I was driving alone on a car trip 5 hours to see one of my good friends. Seeing as Ohio is mostly corn and worried about falling asleep, I went to the library to scope out what I could find. This is how I found The Paid Companion.

Now as I sit here and try to find another book like enraptured me so, I am thinking of this book.

Review:
Oh man. It say a lot that after at least 3 years I still remember this book. It was ab...more
Juliana
Another great Amanda Quick historical romance - the premise of how the main characters meet and initiate their relationship (hero hires the heroine to pretend to be his fiancee) is interesting and pretty unusual, though why he supposedly needs a pretend-fiancee is not very compelling - the whole thing is done more for plot effect and to make the story and relationship more interesting (which it admittedly does) than out of any real plot-driven reason.

This is one of her more recent ones (2004) an...more
Kathleen
Read the book when it first came out some years ago and listened to audio version recently, narrated by Michael Page. Excellent performance! Loved his British accent.

Good solid story, too. This is one of Quick's stand-alone historical romances. I prefer them to her series installments, which are often too predictable.

Quite a fun and smexy read. A rich eccentric nobleman hires a paid companion to pose as his fiancée, thereby keeping those annoying husband hunters at bay while he conducts a murd...more
Mrs Giggles
Arthur Lancaster, the Earl of St Meryn, is another fellow thought by his peers as cold, emotionless, the usual. The fellow played cards and showed little concern when his fiancée eloped with another bloke, gosh! It does seem like there's one of those dark-haired guys with powerful thigh muscles and misunderstood personality hanging around every street corner in this author's London, doesn't it? Oh, and there's also a murder. He wants to investigate the whole thing, but he needs a way to distract...more
Gavin
Well since I listened to the audiobook I'll split my review into two parts.

The Story

Twenty something Elanora Lodge is smart, feisty heroine who due to her stepfathers gambling and untimely death has lost her home and inheritance. She plans to own her own bookstore one day but in order to finance this dream and support herself in the meantime, she has taken up work as a paid companion.

Arthur Lancaster, Earl of St. Merryn is considered as coldly logical and a little eccentric by most. He needs...more
Stacie  M. Ritchie
This is a very intriguing story of Arthur, Earl of St. Merryn and Elenora Lodge. As this book opens, Elenora finds herself being thrown out of her house. The Earl finds that his fiancée has eloped with another man. Elenora has plans for herself, but she doesn’t have the funds. Arthur is searching for a companion to aid in his investigation. They end up together and the sparks start to fly. Elenora is a planner and organizer and starts soon after staying in his house setting it to rights. She dis...more
Maria
Another book from Ms. Krentz with great characters, plot, and dialogue. Arthur Lancaster needs a fiancee to keep the marriage-minded away while he seeks his uncle's murderer. Being the sensible sort, he decides to interview young women of good reputation and poor finances who must work as paid companions to survive. Once he meets no-nonsense, capable Elenora Lodge, the fun begins. On my fourth reading, the story still holds up well, except perhaps for Jove's Thunderbolt, which I ignore in order...more
Krista
I was kept surprisingly engaged by this book. I thought it might be a bit sappy, but it turned out to be quite snappy. I think it's a Regency romance book, but the time period isn't exactly specified.

Elenora help the Earl of St Merryn find a mad killer that is loose in London. She is hired by him to pose as his fiancee so that he may roam about London without being plagued by fotune hunting mothers trying to foist their young daughters on him as potential brides.

In the process the no-nonsense...more
Anne
I am on a kick for audiobooks because they really lend themselves to running here and there , cleaning the house, and downtime at work (and still looking busy ;-)!)This was my most recent download and I cannot believe it, but I have never read this Amanda Quick book, so that was a pleasant surprise! This book had a male narrator and he did a decent job, but Simon Prebble is my favorite male narrator.

Anyway, this is classic Amanda Quick; the quirky, titled hero,the polished, but down on her luc...more
Lady Wesley
Excellent narrator. Fun mixture of romance, mystery, and humor.
Carol Waters
OK, so I am attempting to pare down my book collection by reading and discarding the stash of books cluttering my abode. This one is from upstairs in the media room bookcases. I have no idea where it came from. It is a hardcover, new, pretty cover.

The premise is dumber than dirt. A wealthy woman of 26 gets swindled out of her inheritance, gets a job as a paid companion to a woman who dresses only in purple who unfortunately no longer needs her help, and then storms into her employer's office to...more
LiteraryLover
This is another novel I would say deserves more of a 3.5 star rating. It was nice and I almost read it in one sitting. The characters are interesting and some of the plot devices were too, but to me it felt a little like the end was a little too quick and the romance at times felt a little forced. But as a whole I liked it and want to read more by the author.
Ladysatel
The Paid Companion by Amanda Quick

Arthur Lancaster, Earl of St. Merryn and a wealthy bachelor is looking for a wife. However he really wants a paid companion who will look after his household and not bother him as he goes about his life separately.
Arthur consults an agency for paid companions. None of the ladies proposed seem to fit his requirements. Then Miss Elenora Lodge bursts into the meeting and proceeds to tell her employers that she has had it with the people she has been sent to for int...more
Melissa
Ludicrous setup, so-so romance, ridiculous "suspense." The only things that saved this book were a good narrator and the storyline of a Regency woman taking control of her destiny despite society's conventions of how a woman should behave.
Andreea
Sincer a fost o incantare sa citesc aceasta carte, mi-a placut modul in care autoarea in impletit povestea de dragoste cu misterul. Categoric cartea asta se citeste cu sufletul la gura pentru ca vrei sa descoperi cine este sangerosul criminal, dar in acelasi timp vrei sa vezi si cum evolueaza relatia dintre Elenora si St.Merryn.

Cei doi se indragostesc treptat. Incet, incet se cunosc, fiecare descopera in celalalt calitati. Fireste exista si atractia intre ei, insa nu aceasta este esenta. Ajung s...more
L H
This was a passable read I guess. It wasn't so much a romance novel as much as a mystery. It's one of those books that keep you thinking when why and how the h and h fell in love! Especially when you spend most of the book following the plot to figure out the mystery of the killer...romantic bits were thrown here and there...
I read the book from the same author few years ago and I felt exactly the same way about it... A whole lot about mystery artifact history killers villains and a little bit a...more
Rachel Sparks
Another good book by Amanda Quick. Love this one too.
Linda
When I first picked up this book, I almost put it down immediately and stopped reading. I usually like my fiction to be set in more current times rather than from the last century. However, I decided to give this book a try and I was glad I did. Good writing and a good story are universal, whether they take place today or decades or centuries ago. I was even tickled with Ms. Quick's attempts to use the language of the day when writing dialogue between her characters. A good story with likeable c...more
Billie Jo
Audiobook Narrated by: Michael Page (For some unknown reason it's not currently available on Audible.) It's a really great story but I will defer the reviews for the plot to the other reviewers.

I've read a few of Amanda Quick's books but never really connected with this author. Audible had a special so I gave her a try. WOW! Michael Page is an amazing narrator and really brought this story to life. To be honest, Michael Page may not be for everyone but I find him absolutely amazing. If you are...more
Stephanie
This book was great, as is everything under the Amanda Quick name. However, it was somewhat atypical as our hero was not quite as perfect as the leading men usually are. That gave the story a bit of a unique twist that made it even more enjoyable to me.

I listened to this book on Audible and the narrator was a man, which is a little unusual for romance novels. The voice he used for our hero was rather annoying. That may have been deliberate, of course, to emphasize the less than perfect nature o...more
Christina
2.5 stars. The premise of this novel was unique--an earl hires a paid companion to pose as his fiancée while he investigates a murder. Okay, I'm now not sure why he needed the fake fiancée. Supposedly, it's to keep the matchmaking mamas out of his way, but that seems a flimsy reason. I think it was because he realized he was the hero of a romance novel, and it seemed a handy excuse. I found the heroine likable at the beginning, and her storyline of how she came to be a paid companion was engagin...more
Anna
You know what I liked about this book?

Neither character is stupid or overly arrogant. Usually, at least one of of a romantic couple is ridiculously exaggerated (and woe betide the reader when both of them are....) Arthur and Elenora are two reasonably intelligent people who deal with one another in a (fairly) forthright manner.

Shenanigans ensue. Absurd miscommunications do not. Huzzah!

There were a few inconsistencies, but nothing I couldn't look past. The plot isn't precisely fresh, but since I...more
Dianne
Jayne Ann Krentz/Amanda Quick/Jayne Castle --- three wonderful series and styles from one single author. I particularly loved this book and have read it many times since it first came out. Now I have it for my Kindle and re-read it last night. It still makes me smile, squirm with the steamy scenes and ponder how Ms Quick makes a woman from that place and time period so clever, yet affable and likable to the reader.

Elenora Lodge has just lost everything she owns to her step-fathers creditors. But...more
Hilly
May 23, 2011 Hilly marked it as abandoned-audiobooks  ·  review of another edition
I can't tell what doesn't work for me more: the writing or the narrator's interpretation.

All I know was that I was alone in my car, day after day, arguing aloud with Michael Page, as he narrated the story.

I *really* disliked Page's nasal tenor for Arthur -- I actually would have preferred that the narrator use his own, unaffected narrator's voice for the hero. Quick wrote - at one point - that Arthur's voice was deep, and the incongruity added to my annoyance at Page's performance!

His performanc...more
MissJessie--former librarian
This books qualifies as a Quick Read, and a pleasant one.

True to past form of the author, the heroine is a) a virgin; b) parapsychological; c) a "lady" in some distress; d) very strong and extremely independent and uncaring about public opinion, espe. for the time period; e) dying to find out what sex is all about at least once in her life.

The hero, true to form, is a) parapsychological; b) troubled; c) VERY sexy in a somewhat unconventional way; d) an great lover; e) a man of unexpectedly high...more
Betsy
I'm blushing, completely and utterly, full on red-faced blushing. Confession time: this is one of my first official "romance" novels. Does that make me an adult now, now that I'm married, have a child, and at the age of 24 I've accomplished my first romance novel? Accomplished as in finished reading. Okay, confession times over.

Your probably wondering if there was an actual plot besides the fact of the smoldering steamy scenes. Okay, there really weren't that many, and they weren't that bad, bu...more
Caroline
A pleasant surprise. Leaving personal preferences aside, I've done my best to read at least one book by each of the twenty or so ladies who dominate the romance best-seller lists. The experience has been disappointing. There seem to be, if anything, more bland formulaic lemons among the best-sellers than there are among the thousands of books by less successful authors.

Which is why The Paid Companion by Ms Quick/Krentz/Castle came as a surprise. It wasn't the first book I've read by this prolifi...more
tacitus
Utterly Unsatisfying and Awkward.

SPOIL ALERT!!!!

It is the case with most historical romances that the plot and/or suspense is hackneyed and stale, but the romance is intense and worthwhile. In this case, you still get the hackneyed setup and subplot, but the romance is utterly unsatisfying!

Firstly, the moment when the hero and heroine are finally intimate with each other is just awkward and one of the worst love scenes I have ever read, especially in a historical romance. The hero is ...ahem......more
Jayne Ann Krentz ...: The Paid Companion (2004) 1 1 Sep 27, 2012 12:22PM
  • Dawn in Eclipse Bay (Eclipse Bay Trilogy, # 2)
  • Orchid (St. Helen's, #3)
Pseudonym of Jayne Ann Krentz

She earned a B.A. in History from the Uni...more
More about Amanda Quick...
Ravished Second Sight (Arcane Society, #1) Dangerous Mistress Deception