Start by marking “Riskante Nähe” as Want to Read:
Riskante Nähe

Riskante Nähe

3.84  ·  Rating Details ·  5,177 Ratings  ·  249 Reviews
The first kiss occurred in a dimly lit hallway on the upper floor of Elwin Hastings's grand house. Louisa never saw it coming. . . .

Of course, Anthony Stalbridge couldn't possibly have had romantic intentions. The kiss was an act of desperation, meant to distract the armed guard who was about to catch the pair in a place they most definitely did not belong. After all, in h
Paperback
Published November 30th 2007 by blanvalet (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Riskante Nähe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Riskante Nähe

Daniella
Jul 04, 2015 Daniella rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The River Knows is definitely one of Ms. Quick's better written novels. The pacing was just right, and the entire story was well-planned. I admit that Anthony and Louisa didn't really stand out as leads when compared to that of Dangerous, The Paid Companion, Lie By Moonlight and Ravished, but they were still strong primary characters nonetheless. They had chemistry, and worked really well together, with each augmenting the other's strengths. After reading tons of Amanda Quick books, I know that ...more
Kathleen
Set in London towards the end of the Victorian era, when enlightened women refused to wear injurious corsets and 14 pounds of petticoats.
But she and Emma were both staunch advocates of the rational dress movement, which held that ladies should wear no more than seven pounds of underwear. As for corsets, the movement had wisely declared them to be injurious to women’s health." (So I figure we need a new movement — underwire bras hurt!).

This is a historical romance, narrated beautifully by Kather
Jacob Proffitt
This was a fun story and I liked it, but without anything truly outstanding to raise it above the average. I liked Louisa. A lot. But Anthony was kind of Victorian standard—capable, worldly, rich, and prone to falling in love with strange, bookish women.

There were a few laugh-out-loud moments (I've never laughed so hard during a love scene), but also some real groaners with the villains. And yet again, I have to say I'm beyond tired of inserting sections from the viewpoint of the villains (parti
Kerstin ~ (SheReadsByMoonlight)
A year ago Joanna Barclay had to stage her own suicide in order to escape the noose, after killing a Lord in self-defence. She fashioned a new life for herself under the name of Louisa Bryce, living with the eccentric Lady Emma Ashton and working as a journalist.
Her current case is to find out the dark secrets of Mr. Hastings, who she thinks is financing a brothel. While searching the Hastings mansion for proof, she runs into Anthony Stalbridge and realizes he is after Hastings' dark secrets as
Anita
To date, this is probably the Amanda Quick book with the most riveting mystery I've read--in my personal opinion, of course.  I know a lot of other people might disagree.  But I enjoyed every moment of this book and was actually quite in love with how the entire story unfolded.  And I am always ever in love with how quickly books by this author jump right into the action, the excitement, and the intrigue.

When played right, the secret reveals in certain books work really well.  And this was one o
Stephanie Williams
O.M.G I loved this book so much there was a lot of different angles that were being played and it all worked out perfectly. I am happy that Louisa got her happy ending... I was even more happy when Anthony n his family loved her even tho she had a big secret.
Mojca
She rose from her ashes, creating a new identity to bury her past. Now widow Louisa Bryce is an investigative reporter, searching for dirt about a prominent gentleman in Society. One evening, she’s rescued in the nick of time by another gentleman’s fiery kiss.

Anthony Stalbridge has an agenda of his own to find dirt about the prominent gentleman in Society. He suspects him of murdering his fiancée a year ago. But Anthony also has an agenda of his own about the mysterious widow.

Soon, Anthony and L
Virginia Hill
This is the 24th book by Amanda Quick (Jayne Ann Krentz) and subsequently the 24th that I've read. If you like one of her books, you will probably like them all. They all (if memory serves) have a darkly handsome and worldly hero and a slightly irreverent heroine, who are nearly always bespectacled. The chemistry between the two leads is always politely passionate. They get into just enough peril to make for a slightly mysterious plot, and they consistently have surprising (to the heroine) sexua ...more
Marya Kowal
I like Jayne Krentz and Amanda Quick novels, and have read more than a few.

The plot was more interesting than the characters on this one, both too predictable, but certainly readable.

There seems to be a standard insert-name-here quality about the dark, brooding, and troubled Arcanely Talented hero...but he's got some good points, too, so I'm not complaining too loudly.

I wouldn't start out your Amanda Quick experience with this book, it's more of a fill-in-the-gaps of the Arcane Society novel tha
Juliana Philippa
Emmalg
Nov 07, 2014 Emmalg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After the last Amanda Quick book I read annoyed me, I thought it might be a while before I read another but getting to the library at closing time I ended up grabbing a few books almost at random.
I really enjoyed this book. I enjoyed the plot and some of the surprises it presented. One of the things I've always enjoyed about Amanda Quick's books are the strong, independent heroines. I think Louisa may be one of my favourites.
Jessica Meyers

There wasn't really anything "wrong" with this book. The characters were likable enough and solving the mystery was kind of fun. However, I felt like there just wasn't that extra spark. It was definitely one of those books that you just trudge through cause it's not horrible to read and it's something to do.
Lurdes
Jun 24, 2010 Lurdes rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I misread the review for this book and assumed it was a mystery with a love story tied in. Instead, I got a Victorian romance novel with a mystery plot. It followed the general romance formula: a couple of steamy petticoat-and-corset scenes, with a few cute murder-in-Polite-Society twists. Not bad for cotton candy for the brain, and certainly a light enough read to start off summer.
Zoe
Jan 20, 2012 Zoe rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
While this was very well read by the reader, I'm afraid I may have read too many books by this author. This humorless pair wasn't any different from her other heroes and heroines, and the hoops Quick jumps through the make so many of her heroines virgins masquerading as worldly women is getting on my nerves.
Ngoc Lien
1 tiểu thuyết diễm tình để đầu độc các cô gái mơ mộng, 1 chàng tài hoa xuất chúng bị thu hút bởi 1 cô gái có vẻ ngoài quê mùa lạc hậu, và rồi sau đó thì càng quan hệ càng phát hiện ra vẻ đẹp tiềm ẩn của nàng.
Là 1 chuyện lãng mạn thì nó ko có gì mới mẻ, đặc sắc cho lắm; là 1 truyện trinh thám thì cũng chẳng bất ngờ, kịch tính cho lắm.
Sep 15, 2011 Jennifer rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I don't know why, but when I start an Amanda Quick book, I'm always surprised to find that her heroine are charmingly, frustratingly obtuse when they talk to the hero. It always makes me laugh and then I seem to forget how much I enjoy her heroines until I pick up the next book.
Jane (PS)
Jun 01, 2010 Jane (PS) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
I enjoyed this read - not as much as 'Mischief' but still a worthwhile time-waster!!
A quick and easy read with some light hearted moments. Another good book by the author
Melissa
Quick's characters are always so entertaining to read about. They are never brainless, damsels in distress type heroines, they always have a nice intelligent quirky side to them.

This book had an interesting murder to figure out as well as great characters as well as humor and steam. It has a little bit of everything I like.

Ann Baxter
Not sure what I was expecting - I was just looking for a decent story to listen to. But my abhorrence of "romance"novels was solidified. The story was fine, but with the limited time I have to read and absorb good literature and information, this was a waste of time.
Josen
Dec 17, 2016 Josen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-library
I was due for a historical romance (entwined with a murder mystery of course ;) lol) I was not disappointed. :)
Melinda Cowan
Oct 17, 2016 Melinda Cowan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: october-4
Interesting mystery and romance wound together in late Victorian England.
SusanK
Oct 15, 2016 SusanK rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
relaxing read - and up to her usual Victorian tricks with mystery and romance and a few twists
Gina
A fun, light, quick-witted read!

Only a year or so ago, Louisa Bryce, a very intelligent woman, faked a suicide to run from the supposed murder of a very prominent, but very evil, man. Hired by Emma Ashton as a companion, someone to write her memoires, Louisa and Emma quickly become fast friends, where Louisa confesses all. In order to help, Emma is playing off Louisa as a distant cousin from the country who is now widowed. “Unimportant, unfashionable and excessively dull”, Louisa manages to sque
Kah Cherub
Dec 27, 2012 Kah Cherub rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Amanda Quick is the kind of hit-or-miss author for me. Either I love her stories from the very first page, or I just instantly know I won't be interested enough to finish it.

Thankfully, this one was a delight from beginning to end. Very much like Mischief was. When Quick gets it right, boy, she gets it VERY right. Her heroines are all so very independent, self-suficient and practical about things, they are very fresh sights for sore eyes in the middle of t
Cheesecake
Louisa and Anthony. A quirky romance between an arrogantly self assured Hero and a deceptively reserved heroine. Anthony's fiance supposedly committed suicide in the river, the same month that two other women supposedly also found solace in a watery grave. But all is not as it seems, and Anthony is determined to prove this. Louisa is one of the women who supposedly jumped into the river. Faced with the limited choices women had in those days, her own death was the best option... A quirk of fate ...more
Barbara
Dec 08, 2016 Barbara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Murder, intrigue, and romance woven together to provide a great read. Ms. Quick develops a story that holds your attention from the first sentence with intelligent characters and a little humor thrown n.
Kat
Jul 20, 2016 Kat rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved how everyone was interconnected and it felt like a noir detective story at times. It would have worked better without the romance spliced in but it was still an engaging read.

Genres
Not too high on the romance side, more of an awkward friendship with lust.
Historical aspects were well played, not too much detail in terms of period or place but rather on the fashion and carriages.
Mystery wasn't too engaging as character's motives became more clear.

Plot
I found the book awkward at times,
Donna
Mar 21, 2009 Donna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not quite a 4 star but close.
Joanna Bradley was forced into murdering an English Lord to save herself. She is aware that despite it being self-defense, the justice system will hang her for murder as it would not allow the death of a noble by someone from a lower class when the only proof of self-defense was her word; consequently, she stages her suicide and assumes a new identity.
Because of her own experience, Joanna, now Louisa Bryce, starts exposing the foibles of the upper classes, writing
Jayne Ann Krentz ...: The River Knows (2007) 1 3 Sep 27, 2012 12:24PM
  • White Lies (Arcane Society, #2)
  • Silver Master (Ghost Hunters, #4)
Pseudonym of Jayne Ann Krentz

She earned a B.A. in History from the Uni
More about Amanda Quick...