Start by marking “Riskante Nähe” as Want to Read:
Riskante Nähe

Riskante Nähe

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  3,940 ratings  ·  177 reviews
The first kiss occurred in a dimly lit hallway on the upper floor of Elwin Hastings's grand house. Louisa never saw it coming. . . .

Of course, Anthony Stalbridge couldn't possibly have had romantic intentions. The kiss was an act of desperation, meant to distract the armed guard who was about to catch the pair in a place they most definitely did not belong. After all, in h
Paperback
Published November 30th 2007 by blanvalet (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Riskante Nähe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Riskante Nähe

Kerstin
A year ago Joanna Barclay had to stage her own suicide in order to escape the noose, after killing a Lord in self-defence. She fashioned a new life for herself under the name of Louisa Bryce, living with the eccentric Lady Emma Ashton and working as a journalist.
Her current case is to find out the dark secrets of Mr. Hastings, who she thinks is financing a brothel. While searching the Hastings mansion for proof, she runs into Anthony Stalbridge and realizes he is after Hastings' dark secrets as
Judith
Though this is a romance, shaken with a light dressing of mystery, some very serious topics are tackled.

First off is the absolute inability of a woman in Victorian times to control her destiny. Employment opportunities for women were few and far between, and even honest employment could lead to very dangerous situations for a woman alone.

Also, this book directly addresses how justice was very different for the gentry than for the non-gentry. Even one with money was not as important as one of the
Mojca
She rose from her ashes, creating a new identity to bury her past. Now widow Louisa Bryce is an investigative reporter, searching for dirt about a prominent gentleman in Society. One evening, she’s rescued in the nick of time by another gentleman’s fiery kiss.

Anthony Stalbridge has an agenda of his own to find dirt about the prominent gentleman in Society. He suspects him of murdering his fiancée a year ago. But Anthony also has an agenda of his own about the mysterious widow.

Soon, Anthony and L
Emmalg
After the last Amanda Quick book I read annoyed me, I thought it might be a while before I read another but getting to the library at closing time I ended up grabbing a few books almost at random.
I really enjoyed this book. I enjoyed the plot and some of the surprises it presented. One of the things I've always enjoyed about Amanda Quick's books are the strong, independent heroines. I think Louisa may be one of my favourites.
Virginia Hill
This is the 24th book by Amanda Quick (Jayne Ann Krentz) and subsequently the 24th that I've read. If you like one of her books, you will probably like them all. They all (if memory serves) have a darkly handsome and worldly hero and a slightly irreverent heroine, who are nearly always bespectacled. The chemistry between the two leads is always politely passionate. They get into just enough peril to make for a slightly mysterious plot, and they consistently have surprising (to the heroine) sexua ...more
Stephanie Williams
O.M.G I loved this book so much there was a lot of different angles that were being played and it all worked out perfectly. I am happy that Louisa got her happy ending... I was even more happy when Anthony n his family loved her even tho she had a big secret.
Marya Kowal
I like Jayne Krentz and Amanda Quick novels, and have read more than a few.

The plot was more interesting than the characters on this one, both too predictable, but certainly readable.

There seems to be a standard insert-name-here quality about the dark, brooding, and troubled Arcanely Talented hero...but he's got some good points, too, so I'm not complaining too loudly.

I wouldn't start out your Amanda Quick experience with this book, it's more of a fill-in-the-gaps of the Arcane Society novel tha
Ladysatel
The River Knows by Amanda Quick (Jayne Ann Krentz)

Women’s bodies are being found in the river in London on a too regular basis. Reporter Louisa Bryce who works for The Flying Intelligencer thinks she knows who is responsible. But proof is needed if she is to bring crime boss Elwin Hastings to justice.

Anthony Stallbridge was the fiancé of one of the women drowned. He joins with Louisa to investigate and find information which can be taken to the police. They need to get their hands on a ledger co
Jgrace
The River Knows - Amanda Quick
audio performance by K. Kellgren
3 stars

This was a mildly entertaining, bodice ripping, regency romance. A feisty, young heroine, ventures into society with an assumed identity to make her reputation as an investigative reporter. Handsome son of the aristocracy is investigating the same criminals. A romantic comedy ensues. Except for the ludicrously predictable and explicit sexual encounters, the mystery reminded me of Deanna Raybourne’s Lady Julia Grey mysteries.
Lurdes
I misread the review for this book and assumed it was a mystery with a love story tied in. Instead, I got a Victorian romance novel with a mystery plot. It followed the general romance formula: a couple of steamy petticoat-and-corset scenes, with a few cute murder-in-Polite-Society twists. Not bad for cotton candy for the brain, and certainly a light enough read to start off summer.
Zoe
While this was very well read by the reader, I'm afraid I may have read too many books by this author. This humorless pair wasn't any different from her other heroes and heroines, and the hoops Quick jumps through the make so many of her heroines virgins masquerading as worldly women is getting on my nerves.
I don't know why, but when I start an Amanda Quick book, I'm always surprised to find that her heroine are charmingly, frustratingly obtuse when they talk to the hero. It always makes me laugh and then I seem to forget how much I enjoy her heroines until I pick up the next book.
Lucy

This was an ejoyable read. Nothing too profound or susceptible of causing you some serious emotion, yet good enough to spend some hours relaxing.

Louisa and Anthony weren't outstanding leads, but there were some funny moments that made me giggle.

I don't know how Louisa could be such a clever, observant woman some times, yet the rest of the time she was so naive that she almost came across as childlike.

The part about them trying to prove Hastings's shadowy activities was somewhat interesting.

All
Jane (PS)
I enjoyed this read - not as much as 'Mischief' but still a worthwhile time-waster!!
Doris
This series of books are romances, but with a strong sense of the mystic, and in most cases, a reminder that the women n the Victoria era were not free to live their lives outside of the direction of the man or men in their lives.

The main character, shrouded in mystery at first, is a young woman struggling to make her way, as she searches for truth behind the wall of secrecy that covers and protects the privileged class from the results of their crimes.

A deeper story than some in this series,
Robin
Kinda sorta lame but somewhat interesting too.

Woman fakes her own death trying to hide from a would be killer and ends up killing him in the process. She becomes an anonymous investigative columnist writer for a paper and begins to investigate a serial killer.

Man's fiance is killed by said serial killer and he too investigates.

Path's cross and they work together to solve the crimes. And as the way these things go...they fall in love. I didn't mind the hero so much but the heroine was lame beyond
Donna
Not quite a 4 star but close.
Joanna Bradley was forced into murdering an English Lord to save herself. She is aware that despite it being self-defense, the justice system will hang her for murder as it would not allow the death of a noble by someone from a lower class when the only proof of self-defense was her word; consequently, she stages her suicide and assumes a new identity.
Because of her own experience, Joanna, now Louisa Bryce, starts exposing the foibles of the upper classes, writing
Sharon
Lots of Suspense and a wonderful story woven by Amanda

Set in the late Victorian era of England, this is a charming romance with a dose of a compelling tale of mystery to boot. The reader will find that the characters are well-developed and realistic. There is humor which I always appreciate and some of the supporting characters actually made me think of someone that I had known over the years. As the story moves along in this enticing story of society's upper-class that is cloaked in dark secre
Gina
A fun, light, quick-witted read!

Only a year or so ago, Louisa Bryce, a very intelligent woman, faked a suicide to run from the supposed murder of a very prominent, but very evil, man. Hired by Emma Ashton as a companion, someone to write her memoires, Louisa and Emma quickly become fast friends, where Louisa confesses all. In order to help, Emma is playing off Louisa as a distant cousin from the country who is now widowed. “Unimportant, unfashionable and excessively dull”, Louisa manages to sque
Viccy
Louisa Bryce is the dull, quiet and unfashionable companion to Lady Ashton. Anthony Stallbridge is the wealthy heir to the eccentric Stallbridge fortune. Both of them are intent on bringing down Elwin Hastings, a man with fingers in many dirty pies around London. However, both Louisa and Anthony have secrets of their own; Louisa is a reporter for a lurid London paper and Anthony's former fiancée committed suicide, but he wants to prove it was actually murder. The two meet at a ball at the Hastin ...more
Karla V

Amanda Quick is the kind of hit-or-miss author for me. Either I love her stories from the very first page, or I just instantly know I won't be interested enough to finish it.

Thankfully, this one was a delight from beginning to end. Very much like Mischief was. When Quick gets it right, boy, she gets it VERY right. Her heroines are all so very independent, self-suficient and practical about things, they are very fresh sights for sore eyes in the middle of t
Jackie
In the book The River Knows by Amanda Quick, three women drown themselves in the Thames in the Prologue which is a grim start to any novel but it does raise your curiosity. After the Prologue, things grow stranger as Louisa Bryce and Anthony Stalbridge join forces to discover just how wicked Elwin Hastings is. They make an interesting team and the results of their inquiries are amazing and a reminder that one can’t believe everything that gets published in the newspapers.
Dianna
This novel was in the 'Ilikedititwasok' category. Set in the mid to late 1800's where a woman's occupation was either married, widowed with lots of money, worked for a wealthy family or in a brothel. Not very many respectable jobs out there. But the main character, after killing a man and faking her suicide, Louisa is taken in by an elderly lady looking for a companion. She ends up writing for a 'rag' newspaper under the pseudo name of I M Phantom. In her articles she seeks justice for the wrong ...more
Stacie  M. Ritchie
Louisa Bryce has had a very rough life. She has had to change her name and her identity to outrun her past. Anthony Stalbridge is on a mission to find the real reasons for the death of his fiancée. Louisa is hunting for more information on Lord Hastings and taking a lot of chances. Anthony is doing the same thing for different reasons. As they discover more and more details of Hastings and his connections, sparks fly between them. They are masquerading in high society, and come into contact too ...more
Katy
Okay, I read this because I thought it was one of the Arcane Society/Jones and Jones novels. It isn't. Someone is raping and killing female trade/shopkeepers in late 1800s London. A pretty young used bookseller escapes this fate, but she kills the intruder, who happens to be a prominent member of Society. She fakes her suicide and then disguises herself as a poor relation to a sympathetic widow. She uses her disguise to find out the dirt on members of Society and writes about them as a sensation ...more
Maria
Being a Jayne Ann Krentz fan, I am always inclined to like her new additions. This one brings me to 130 books by Ms Krentz that I try to re-read annually because I always feel like I am meeting old friends as soon as I pick one up. I liked the way she dealt with class differences and the difficulties of women with no money in Victorian times in finding an honorable job and source of income. Louisa Bryce, while researching and investigating for a newspaper a member of the polite world involved in ...more
Lizabeth Tucker
Bookseller Joanna Barclay is forced to fake her death, beginning again as Louisa Bryce, secret scandal paper reporter. While investigating a member of society reputed to own a brothel, Louisa runs into Anthony Stalbridge who suspects that same individual of murdering his fiance.

Somehow this book was overlooked in my collection, waiting longer than normal to be read. We have a tale of hidden identities, eccentric members of the Ton, murder and mystery and romance. Yep, this is definitely an Amand
Leah
This was my first Amanda Quick novel (not counting those I've read under her real name) and I'm so glad I tried it! First, it's dedicated to Susan Elizabeth Phillips (my favorite author) and the story was twisted enough to keep me involved and staying up too late to finish the chapters. Very good!
Talia
Her newest book was a pretty good read. She's taken a bit of a different approach this time to her story and changed things up a bit. For instance, Louisa Bryce has no family in this story. No sister, no cousin, no nieces or nephews. It's just her. She does have a friend who is an older maternal type, but still, there's no familial connection, and usually Quick uses those to create a believable sense of reasoning as to why her heroine does what she does. It was an interesting change.

I figured ou
Jayne Ann Krentz ...: The River Knows (2007) 1 3 Sep 27, 2012 12:24PM
  • White Lies (Arcane Society, #2)
  • Midnight Crystal (Harmony #7; Arcane Society #9; Dreamlight Trilogy #3)
Pseudonym of Jayne Ann Krentz

She earned a B.A. in History from the Uni
More about Amanda Quick...
Ravished Second Sight (Arcane Society, #1) The Paid Companion Dangerous Mistress