Start by marking “The Walking Dead, Vol. 05: The Best Defense” as Want to Read:
The Walking Dead, Vol. 05: The Best Defense

The Walking Dead, Vol. 05: The Best Defense (The Walking Dead #5)

4.31  ·  Rating Details ·  19,356 Ratings  ·  761 Reviews
As the survivors settle into their prison home something has drawn them out into the open... out of the prison... out of their sanctuary. This is a major turning point for the overall story of The Walking Dead, setting the stage for years to come.
Published April 15th 2009 by Image Comics (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Walking Dead, Vol. 05, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Walking Dead, Vol. 05

Rachel Reads Ravenously
3 very conflicted stars

First off I like this series. This is a great look at how humanity either deteriorates or survives in a world where so much of human kind is gone. From a survival aspect this book is fascinating.

On the other hand, I have come to the conclusion that Robert Kirkman hates women. I mean, really. Lori is unbearable and whines about the effort her husband makes to create a better place for them. Carol is a giant fucking mess and (view spoiler)
Bookworm Sean
“Well stranger, we’re feeding them strangers”

description

I have a new favourite line. I’m not sure if this was supposed to be funny, but it did give me a good laugh. It was such a quick and ironic twist of fortune. Rick let his guard down for one moment; he believed what he saw, and because of this he almost got everyone killed. After this he’ll never trust people again. In this crazy fucked up world you just can’t take people on face value anymore. There’s almost always a monster lurking beneath.

The group
3.5 stars.
My least favourite volume so far. It just wasn't up to the standard of the other volumes. I think the artwork is definitely growing on me though. I really liked it but they removed Tony Moore from doing the covers and that makes me sad. I absolutely adored his covers and I can definitely tell the difference between the old covers and the new ones. The new covers don't seem to be as detailed or eye-catching but I do like them, just not as much as I loved the old ones.

The story in this
Anthony Chavez
Aug 27, 2011 Anthony Chavez rated it really liked it
The last volume I kept thinking this is a little whiny, the characters did a lot of complaining and grieving, I thought to myself something needs to happen, something to jar the characters and drive the plot forward. It looks like we have a villain here in volume 5.

Our travelling band that has settled in a prison sees a helicopter, LIFE is out there! They then see said chopper crash and they want to learn where they are from and see if they are ok. When they see boatloads of footprints surroundi
Becky
Whoooo-eee! These just keep getting more and more intense! I'm definitely glad that I haven't been reading these as they came out, because waiting in between episodes would be torture! I meant to take a break from these and read something else for a bit... but damn if it isn't hard to put them down! I need to know what happens.

This one is just as crazy as the last one... only now we have a few new faces to look at for a bit. They are ones that I hope to not see for very long. My hope is that th
Justin
Oct 27, 2011 Justin rated it really liked it
Be warned: minor spoilers ahead.

All right. Before reading this volume, I went back and reread all of the trades up to this point, in order to recapture the narrative and get back into the spirit of the story for Halloween. A few things I noticed during the read-through:

1. I appreciate the switch to Adlard’s art after the first story arc. While Moore made the characters much more distinguishable from one another, he also lent an exaggerated aspect to their features and expressions that was almost
Gabby
Holy shit!!!! This is my favorite volume so far out of the five I've read! I'm so happy because I really hated the 4th volume and I almost wanted to stop reading but I told myself not to and I kept reading out of curiosity and this fifth volume is amazing! Two words: The Governor. One of the biggest and baddest villains in The Walking Dead history was finally introduced and he is even more terrifying in the comics than he was in the show, and that's hard to believe but it's true! He's scary as ...more
Raeleen Lemay
Feb 01, 2015 Raeleen Lemay rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphicomanga
UGHHHHH I HATE THE GOVERNOR SO MUCH
Justin
Dec 20, 2015 Justin rated it liked it
I like the story arc this thing is taking, but the human depravity stuff is killing me. It just feels like the author really wants to remind me over and over again how awful some people are in this new world. Some stuff makes sense, some stuff just feels over the top.

Imma keep readin em tho.
Aurora
Aug 27, 2016 Aurora rated it it was amazing
A gostar cada vez mais! É muito estranho eles chamarem zombies aos walkers mas estou a adorar a arte e o facto de ter cenas mais violentas e polémicas que a série televisiva.
Darren Hagan aka snazzlebooks
Enter the Governor and his reign of terror. This one is so dark
Wren | WrensReads
COMPENDIUM ONE:
Volume 001 | Volume 002 | Volume 003 | Volume 004 | Volume 005 | Volume 006 | Volume 007 | Volume 008

The group sees a helicopter crash and Glenn, Rick and Michonne go out to investigate it and run into Woodsbury people... oh, and Carol ask Lori a really really ridiculous question that I had to read again to make sure that really just happened.

Well, one thing is for sure: The Governor is even crazier and grosser in the graphic novels than in the TV show.

Seriously this series is not
Sam Quixote
Apr 29, 2014 Sam Quixote rated it really liked it
The Walking Dead continues to be an exercise in how much darkness the audience can endure with Robert Kirkman getting increasingly darker with each succeeding volume.

Besides the very graphic nature of the series already featuring an ample number of decaying zombie corpses feasting on human flesh before being shot/hacked at in the head, we’ve had execution-style murders, multiple suicide attempts, amputation and decapitation, child murder, and now: repeated gang rape! … Where will Kirkman go nex
Craig
Aug 10, 2009 Craig rated it it was ok
Reanna
May 09, 2016 Reanna rated it really liked it
The abundance of bad decisions and the fucking governor!
Brightness
Only a slight improvement from the previous installment.

But this one moved along at a faster clip and we get to see the Governor for the first time.

Misogyny - still rampant.

But I discussed the sexism in detail in my gif ridden review for the previous installment. You can find it here:

The Walking Dead,Vol. 04: The Heart's Desire

Because I just don't have it in me to get into it all over again. At least not this go around.
Kimberley doruyter
Mar 10, 2015 Kimberley doruyter rated it liked it
lost hand, traps and torture.
oh my god :o
Yonaily
Nov 24, 2014 Yonaily rated it it was amazing

I think this new experience will teach Rick not to trust in anyone. This volume is the darkest one. We are introduced to new characters, and things get really bad. I loved it! It was creepy, bloody and things I did not expect to happen, happened. I feel bad for Michonne. But I know she's a badass, and I'm sure she will make The Governor pay for what he's done. I can't wait to that. Definitely my favorite issue so far.
Ayman Gomaa
Mar 16, 2016 Ayman Gomaa rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
i give this volume 3.5\5 it was really exciting and really dark so lets say the real evil starting from here
finally The Governor is showed and he is really making rick and michonne suffering already but sadly this is just the beginning , the first villain we see in the walking dead and he is really physco , crazy and sadist shit , some of us love some villains but this one all agree on hating him :(

☣Lynn☣
Man, this volume was brutal.
Melissa
Feb 18, 2012 Melissa rated it liked it
I was so unprepared for this emotionally. While the previous volumes were full of angst to the highest degree, I feel... distraught. Nauseous. A little like I need to cry. The turn things have taken is so dark, but at this point I truly can't say whether I think it was for the best. (view spoiler) ...more
Danielle
Apr 10, 2015 Danielle rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, read-in-2015
*4.5*

This isn't going to be a full review because I can't think of that much that I really want to say about it...

I think this one might be my least favourite so far? I'm still not even sure why? On the one hand I think I wasn't as invested in it as I was with the others but then the more I think about it I actually was? So I'm not sure what happened here to be honest...

There were parts in this one where I felt absolutely terrified for certain characters and it really kept me on the edge of my
Barbi Faye (The Book Fae)
Nov 14, 2016 Barbi Faye (The Book Fae) rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Roamers
Recommended to Barbi Faye (The Book Fae) by: Rick Grimes
#25-30 Softcover bindup of issues of The Waling Dead graphic novel. "As the survivors settle into their prison home something has drawn them out into the open, out of the prison... out of their sanctuary. This is a major turning point for the overall story of The Walking Dead, setting the stage for years to come."
Tristy
Mar 04, 2013 Tristy rated it it was ok
Shelves: comix
Brittney
Feb 29, 2016 Brittney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So I've got this plan. I'm reading the rest of these as quickly as possible and then watching the show.

Yeah.
Ashley
Tanja
Dec 02, 2015 Tanja rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2015, review
>>Diese Rezension und viele mehr findet ihr auch hier: http://wort-welten.blogspot.de/

Zusammenfassung:

Die Überlebenden um Rick Grimes haben es endlich geschafft, das Gefängnis zu ihrem neuen Zuhause zu machen. Doch schon bald naht neues Unheil. Denn Rick, Glenn und Michonne werden auf der Suche nach weiteren Überlebenden von einer anderen Gruppe gefangen genommen. In dem Städtchen Woodbury haben sich knapp zwei Dutzend Menschen unter der Führung des selbst ernannten "Gouverneurs" zusammen
Jun 15, 2011 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: para-zombies
The Best Defense, the 5th volume in The Walking Dead series, introduces The Governor, a man who seems poised to become a villain more dangerous and deadly than any zombie we've seen thus far. The character is intense, and more importantly, unpredictable.

When Rick, Glen and Michonne (who I still dislike immensely, although she definitely grows on me in this volume) leave the safety of the prison to check out a downed helicopter, they're brought to The Governor. What he does to each of them is un
Emily
Aug 26, 2011 Emily rated it really liked it
I have to take a pause and just recap the emotions I've been feeling while reading this series. I think this volume in particular really brings to light the depravity of humanity when faced with something like the zombie apocalypse. Kirkman really shows all aspects and possibilites of what humanity might go through, whether it be good or bad and he covers all aspects of coping, grieving, surviving, and trying to live in a completely different world. I'm constantly impressed by the thought that ...more
Play Book Tag: The Walking Dead, Volume 5 by Robert Kirkman ⭐️ 1 5 Aug 26, 2016 12:29AM
the walking dead (volume 5) 3 33 Nov 10, 2014 08:12PM
the walking dead volume 5 1 14 Aug 22, 2011 06:58PM
the walking dead volume 5 1 12 Aug 08, 2011 06:53PM
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 8: Kimono Dragons (Y: The Last Man, #8)
  • Chew, Vol. 8: Family Recipes
  • Locke & Key, Vol. 3: Crown of Shadows
  • Preacher, Volume 4: Ancient History
  • Revival, Vol. 2: Live Like You Mean It
  • Fables, Volume 6: Homelands
  • American Vampire, Volume 2
More about Robert Kirkman...

The Walking Dead (1 - 10 of 27 books)
  • The Walking Dead, Vol. 01: Days Gone Bye
  • The Walking Dead, Vol. 08: Made to Suffer
  • The Walking Dead, Vol. 09: Here We Remain
  • The Walking Dead, Vol. 10: What We Become
  • The Walking Dead, Vol. 11: Fear the Hunters

“The second we put a bullet in the head of one of those undead monsters -- the moment one of us drove a hammer into one of their faces -- or cut a head off. We became what we are! And that's just it. THAT's what it comes down to. You people don't know what we are.

We're surrounded by the DEAD. We're among them -- and when we finally give up we become them! We're living on borrowed time here. Every minute of our life is a minute we steal from them! You see them out there. You KNOW that when we die -- we become them. You think we hide behind walls to protect us from the walking dead?

Don't you get it? We ARE the walking dead! WE are the walking dead.”
105 likes