Start by marking “Deep Quarry” as Want to Read:
Deep Quarry

Deep Quarry

Private detective Bug Eye's client is an archaeologist experiencing security problems at the dig outside Dallad. Priceless antiques are being shoplifted, but before Bug Eye even gets started on the case, two suspects are dead, and he is the one who kills them!
Mass Market Paperback, 186 pages
Published February 1989 by Ace Books (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Deep Quarry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deep Quarry

Jessica Bronder
Jul 05, 2016 Jessica Bronder rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ben Takent is a private detective hired by Kate Dunlet. Kate is running an archeological dig and has discovered that some small artifacts are disappearing. Then a space ship is discovered at the dig. Ben and Kate now have a lot more on their hands since the space ship is still occupied by some not so friendly aliens.

This story reminds me of a classic noir detective story but with aliens mixed in. I like Ben, he was the smart mouthed detective. The opening scene where he is putting callers on hol
diana (chaotic reader)
I have never read any book by the author but since Deep Quarry is a mixture of sci-fi and mystery (both of which I love) I figured why not take the opportunity and start with this one?

Honestly this was an okay read for me. I liked the writing but there really wasn't anything about the book that stood out. I love the sci-fi aspect to it because come on, who wouldn't?
It was also different from what I expected. There was so much humor and I definitely didn't expect that from a book such as this one
Gustave
Jan 09, 2014 Gustave rated it it was amazing
I loved every moment of this fast moving investigative sci-fi book. Also, it was the first book I read from front to back and got me hooked on science fiction genre.
Harper Valentine
May 13, 2013 Harper Valentine rated it liked it
I read this book years ago and thought it was great, but decided to re-read it.
How I thought this was so great I don't know.
John Stith is a great writer, I can only assume this was his first attempt at writing or I have a odd copy or something! The whole book uses the same words over and over and over and over...., the words are like the same words, the story was very spherical, like a sphere, the sphere of the story, was like walking in a sphere, you know how a sphere is very spherical, this s
F.P.
Jul 02, 2016 F.P. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this--I've been reading it all-day long. It's like a comedic detective story in a sci-fi setting. Right near the end I couldn't stop laughing because of a certain part. I've always enjoyed the exploratory parts of Stith's books; I didn't realize this one would have that too, so finding that in here was neat.
Bev
May 06, 2011 Bev rated it it was ok
Wouldn't call this a really successful blend of science fiction and mystery. I like both, And there are others who do it better (Asimov). This is okay.
Aimee
Sep 04, 2010 Aimee rated it really liked it
This is listed as a Sci-Fi book, but it's really a mystery thats set on another planet.
Scribal
Sep 07, 2015 Scribal rated it it was ok
This is one of my least favorite Stith books. Whatever interest the story might have is drained by the tedium of the writing and plotting.
Kallierose
Seemed like a standard sci-fi adventure with a touch of mystery. But there was nothing about it that really grabbed me.
Zapple100
Zapple100 rated it really liked it
Nov 03, 2013
Debbie Mcclelland
Debbie Mcclelland rated it it was amazing
Jul 11, 2014
Aaron Humphrey
Aaron Humphrey rated it liked it
Jun 22, 2013
Ryan B
Ryan B rated it it was amazing
Oct 27, 2013
Rick Sheppard
Rick Sheppard rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2016
Scott Powlas
Scott Powlas rated it liked it
Sep 30, 2012
Douglas
Douglas rated it liked it
Mar 18, 2015
Christine Jewett
Christine Jewett rated it really liked it
Feb 09, 2016
MrBear
MrBear rated it really liked it
Jun 18, 2017
Debra
Debra rated it it was amazing
Mar 01, 2015
Barry F Seidman
Barry F Seidman rated it liked it
Jun 03, 2012
Tyrran
Tyrran rated it liked it
Nov 29, 2010
Thomas Kee
Thomas Kee rated it liked it
Mar 27, 2014
Walt
Walt rated it really liked it
Jul 09, 2014
Alessandro Questi
Alessandro Questi rated it it was amazing
Jan 25, 2017
Linda
Linda rated it liked it
Jan 08, 2015
Jose Barbosa
Jose Barbosa rated it really liked it
Jan 23, 2014
Dave Storey
Dave Storey rated it liked it
Feb 03, 2016
Bryan
Bryan rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2012
Alan Clark
Alan Clark rated it really liked it
Aug 31, 2013
Dmitry
Dmitry rated it liked it
Oct 19, 2014
  • Galactic Effectuator
  • The Forgotten Planet
  • The Peregrine
  • The Age of the Pussyfoot
  • Los hijos de nuestros hijos
  • Starshine
  • Survey Ship
  • Ballroom of the Skies
  • Roderick

Science-fiction author John E. Stith's works include REDSHIFT RENDEZVOUS (Nebula Award nominee from Ace Books), MANHATTAN TRANSFER (Hugo Award Honorable Mention from Tor Books), REUNION ON NEVEREND, and RECKONING INFINITY (on Science Fiction Chronicle's Best Science Fiction Novels list for its publication year, on the Nebula Award preliminary ballot).

His other novels are SCAPESCOPE, MEMORY BLANK,

More about John E. Stith...