Start by marking “The Rope Dancer” as Want to Read:
The Rope Dancer

The Rope Dancer

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  120 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Theirs was an enchanted age of pride and passion, of color and pageantry--where danger followed in the path of betrayal...where desire flowed untamed...and love knew no adversary...

Carys--Like moths to a flame, crowds gathered to watch her perform, this lithe amber-eyed rope dancer to whom love was a stranger and a man's gentle touch unknown...

Telor--Few could rival the gl
Published September 1st 1986 by Jove Books (first published January 1st 1986)

To ask other readers questions about The Rope Dancer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rope Dancer

Melissa
I sought out this book because it was recommended as a rare medieval romance that was not about the lords and the ladies, but instead about the working class. In that it was interesting, and I dearly loved, as always, reading about a romance heroine who is totally self sufficient.

However, perhaps because it was about a heroine of a different class than usual, there was just so much exposition...every time Carys made a decision or said something, we had to read through several paragraphs that ki
Arthur
The plot is always surprising. It’s distinguished by from other stories because of being placed in a historic setting. Original. The life of nobles and servants and horse and cart and the list goes on.

I think it’s a seriously well written story. I took this from the library. Where I found a lot of good books to read. I would read in my sleep if I would. There is a good act of morals in stories such as this.

Deri is a dwarf. Telor an minstrel. And they have been on the road with which they seek o
Vox
I was surprised that I liked The Rope Dancer as much as I did. It isn't typically something I would be drawn to read, yet it's a rollicking, adventurous, sweet and even kind of hot book.

Carys is the eponymous dancer, performing on ropes as part of a traveling troupe in medieval England. The men she works with, however, treat her with something less than dignity. Okay, a LOT less than dignity. Carys does not realize that she can - and should - be treated better, largely because this life is the o
Genny
It was okay. The one thing that bothered me about the story was that the action always seemed to be interrupted by internal dialogue, to the point that the character often repeated what he/she was thinking so that the reader would have to read it twice. It just didn't flow very well.
Mell
Full of medieval historical detail about the less-than-ideal life of the working class and the dangers faced by women. I read this in high school, back when I could read for hours on end during weekends and breaks from school. (Those were the days!)
Jacqueline
This one is a favorite of mine by RG. The heroine instead of being a highborn lady is a wandering player with a troupe of troubadour types. Very well constructed story.
Teri-k
Barely started reading this, then I lost it. sigh That doesn't happen with e-books. Now that I've found it again I'm going to put it back in my TBR pile.
Lieselotte
This book made me understand about the daily life in the Middle Ages, while also being an excellent adventure and a strong romance. A great favorite of mine.
Karen
I have read this book a couple of times during the past many years. Why did it take me until now to appreciate the characters?
Dawn
Dawn added it
Nov 29, 2014
Diane
Diane marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Bennett
Bennett marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Erin Burns
Erin Burns marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Meg Hutton
Meg Hutton marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Brigitte
Brigitte marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Rettah
Rettah marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Kubyjr
Kubyjr is currently reading it
Jun 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • A Winter Ballad
  • The Holding (Medieval Knights, #1)
  • The Lute Player
  • Seducing the Knight (The Brotherhood of the Scottish Templars, #2)
  • Winter's Heat (The Graistan Chronicles, #1)
  • Wildest Dreams
  • Maiden and the Monster
  • By Right of Arms
  • Falcon's Fire (Fairfax Family, #1)
  • The Conqueror's Lady (The Knights of Brittany, #2)
  • Black Thorne's Rose
  • Prisoner of Desire
  • The Black Rose
  • Viking's Prize
  • True Highland Spirit (Highlander #3)
  • Knight of Fire (Fire, #2)
  • The Most Improper Miss Sophie Valentine (Sydney Dovedale, #1)
  • The Following Sea (Dante Pirates, #3)
Roberta Gellis has been one of the most successful writers of historical fiction of the last few decades, having published about 25 meticulously researched historical novels since 1964. She has been married to her husband Charles for over 50 years and they live together in Lafayette, Indiana with a lively Lakeland terrier called Taffy. She has one child called Mark.

Her page at the Internet Specula
More about Roberta Gellis...
Roselynde (The Roselynde Chronicles, #1) A Mortal Bane (Magdalene La Batarde, #1) Alinor (The Roselynde Chronicles, #2) A Personal Devil (Magdalene la Batarde, #2) Joanna (The Roselynde Chronicles, #3)