Start by marking “Tuesday” as Want to Read:
Tuesday

David Wiesner

Tuesday

4.17  ·  Rating Details  ·  20,815 Ratings  ·  1,457 Reviews
Dominated by rich blues and greens, and fully exploiting its varied perspectives, this book treats its readers to the pleasures of airborne adventure. It may not be immortal, but kids will love its lighthearted, meticulously imagined, fun-without-a-moral fantasy--School Library Journal, starred review. A Caldecott Medal Book.
Turtleback, 32 pages
Published August 1997 by Turtleback Books (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Tuesday, please sign up.

Christine Pregler This book would be available at any local library. Houghton Mifflin has a page on their site dedicated to this book you may find of interest: …moreThis book would be available at any local library. Houghton Mifflin has a page on their site dedicated to this book you may find of interest: http://www.houghtonmifflinbooks.com/a...# (less)

Ronyell
Mar 23, 2013 Ronyell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Children ages 3 and up
“Tuesday” is a Caldecott Award winning book from the creative mind of David Wiesner and is about how some seemingly ordinary frogs from a pond go on a magical adventure throughout the city. David Wiesner’s story of a magic along with his beautiful illustrations makes “Tuesday” a mesmerizing book for children.

David Wiesner has done it again with creating a wordless book that tells its story through his illustrations. David Wiesner’s story is interesting as the only words that he uses in this boo
Laima
There are no words in this picture book; only gorgeous whimsical illustrations of ... flying frogs!!
It is no wonder that this book is a Caldecott Medal winner. This is another outstanding children's book by the incredibly talented David Wiesner. I want to read all of his work!!
Lisa Vegan
I guess I’m pretty much alone here: The artwork, as usual, is wonderful, but I found this story slightly creepy. Am I missing something special that I simply didn’t get? I wonder.

I adored Flotsam and I really enjoyed Free Fall, but this one didn’t wow me. However, I’ll happily read all his current and any future books because I do think he’s really talented and I predict that I’ll enjoy most of his books.
Arielle Walker
Gorgeously surreal.
Daniel
Oct 19, 2008 Daniel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Title: Tuesday
Author: David Wiesner
Publisher: Clarion Books, 32 pp, 1991
Format: Picture Book (wordless story)
Intended Audience: Children, ages 4 to 8
Description:
Tuesday is a wordless picture book that vividly depicts strange events that happened at various times of the day on Tuesday.
Personal Review:
For a picture book that has relatively few or no words at all, the illustrations are the only thing that drives the story. Tuesday has illustrations that are lively and vivid. With nothing really
Lara's
Oct 20, 2008 Lara's rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Parents and children 4yrs and up.
Shelves: picture-books
Synopsis : The events recorded here are verified by an undisclosed source to have happened somewhere, U.S.A.. on Tuesday. All those in doubt are reminded that there is always another Tuesday.
Review : This is a book that truly illustrates how a pictures can be worth a thousand words. The beauty of these illustrations, paired with the fun and humor of frogs flying through the night on magical lily pads is just a gift from Mr. Weisner that everyone who is lucky enough to pick up this book will un
Dolly
Jul 18, 2016 Dolly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This book has fantastic illustrations, but an odd "story". My kids liked it a lot and I liked the surrealism. We will certainly look for more books by this author.

This book was selected as one of the books for the July 2016- Quarterly Caldecott discussion at the Picture-Book Club in the Children's Books Group here at Goodreads.
Kathryn
Mar 27, 2011 Kathryn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-my-boys
We read this sometime last year and enjoyed it but did not fall in love with it. Really, we had sort of forgotten about it, which turned out to be quite wonderful, as I would probably not have picked up Flotsam otherwise. Tuesday is odd, certainly a compliment, but my kids did not warm to it as much as I had hoped for a wordless picture book full of original and interesting pictures.
Johanna Perez
Jun 01, 2015 Johanna Perez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found Tuesday by David Wiesner to be a unique book. The illustrations are extremely fascinating. Fogs floating on lily pads and pigs flying are enough to get one's attention. But what pulled me in was the color choice for the illustration. The cool greens and blues and purple tones gave the books a sense of magic, enough to get anyone’s creativity running, and then there was the true to life images. A man sitting at a kitchen table and police investigating, these scenes with realistic colors, ...more
Krista
Feb 22, 2016 Krista rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literacy-class
One of the best books I have ever read! Oh wait, did I say read? One of the best books I ever did CREATE a story for! Yup, you heard me correctly, the READER gets to create the story! The author David Wiesner creates story boards of beautiful illustrations in which the reader gets to decide the story through a wordless book. These story boards are magical, literally. In the book Tuesday, frogs are on a late night adventure with their flying lily pads. They soar through neighborhoods having wonde ...more
Qt
Strange and surreal, with a little humor and a bit of eerieness as well--quite intriguing!
Katie Carson
One of my favorite parts about this book is the interaction between the frogs and the other animals. A few pages in, we see the contrast of the birds sitting stationary on the telephone wires, while the frogs fly about on their lilypads. At the far right of the page, we see a frog excitedly chasing a bird, who looks very frightened by the frog clapping his hands behind him.
At the old lady's house, we can see a white cat timidly peering our from behind a door and the frogs who have taken over th
L12_luisespinoza Espinoza
This Caldecott Medal winning book by David Wiesner is yet another example of his creative, beautifully illustrated picture books. This book has managed to tell a story without words through highly imaginative illustrations.

Every Tuesday evening around eight o'clock, something magical happens. This Tuesday evening, frogs from a pond start to fly on their lily pads throughout the city. The illustrations show the frogs flying over houses, into houses (where they play around with a TV remote control
Stephanie
Our local library has, in the kids' section, several shelves that are devoted to Caldecott and Newberry award winners, which makes it easy to choose books for my daughter. I chose Tuesday, by David Wiesner, because it is a Caldecott winner and because it had been recommended to me by some people in a choral group I used to sing with. I was really underwhelmed.

The book has beautiful, incredibly vivid pictures, but what bothers me about the book is that there is no story -- no plot. And when I sa
Ch_hayley Medsker
Tuesday by David Wiesner is for an imaginative audience. The journey begins on Tuesday evening at 8pm, where a few frogs begin to take flight upon their lily pads. The adventurous group of frogs grows in number as they travel through yards, surprising unexpecting dogs, past windows, confusing late night eaters, and through homes, sailing past clueless and asleep citizens. The exhilirating thrill ride ends at day break, when the frogs are back in their respective ponds, leaving little clues behin ...more
Linda Lipko
Whimsical, imaginative and highly creative, Wiesner tells a tale in images with very sparse text, used only to designate the time frame of the magical event.

Long about Tuesday, round eight, the frogs magically float and fly on their lilly pads.

Large in size, some have serious expressions, while others show glee at their new found abilities.

More than a tad mischievous, they swoop down on laundry hanging on the wash line, chase and scare the bejesus out of a dog, chasing him throughout town.

In sho
Wendy Williams
Aug 22, 2012 Wendy Williams rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I knew I had to buy this book when I previewed a page containing a happy frog flying nearly upside down on a lily pad. It was just too much fun to pass up.

A nearly wordless picturebook, Tuesday is charming and funny, detailing the craziness that frogs just might get up to on a Tuesday night. Hovering on their magical lily pads, they peer into a kitchen window at a man having a snack, sneak into a woman's house and watch her TV while she is sleeping, and chase a dog named Rusty after he pursued
Manybooks
Fun, mysterious, with expressive, gorgeous illustrations (and more than well deserving of its Caldecott Medal award), David Wiesner's Tuesday actually made me laugh out loud more than a few times (I just LOVE the scene with the white laundry sheets). Although my logical self would have liked some information or explanation as to why the frogs (and then next Tuesday, pigs) are flying, my imaginative self was and remains both happy and satisfied at this remaining an unknown (recommended for fans o ...more
SaraLaLa
Jan 23, 2016 SaraLaLa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Although this book got a Caldecott award, I didn't find myself getting all that excited about it. I guess I just found it to be too odd of a story, not having an explanation for how/why the frogs could suddenly fly. I was, however, amused with the ending.

I will not be taking this book out of the library again, and I will definitely NOT be buying it.
Tatiana
Jun 20, 2012 Tatiana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 1st-3rd grade
Forget pigs! Have you ever wondered what would happen when frogs fly? Tuesday answers that question—sort of.

Wordless picture books, or nearly wordless as the case is for David Wiesner’s well-known Caldecott Medal winner, leave a lot to speculation. Why, on a Tuesday night, are frogs able to fly around town on their lily pads, dropping in on unsuspecting, bleary-eyed humans and perturbed canines? There are dozens of explanations, none of which are confirmed, which is the magic of the tale. It is
Sarah Sammis
Jun 15, 2011 Sarah Sammis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I started reading David Wiesner's books the one title universally recommended was Tuesday. I have finally taken that advice to heart and read the book.

David Wiesner specializes in wordless picture books. In this one, the only word used (and it's used sparingly) is Tuesday as a reminder that all the events are taking place on a Tuesday night.

Those events involve frogs flying through the town and countryside on lily pads. The illustrations are Wiesner's usual wonderful surrealism. The pallet
Lizzy Abhold
This book is very different, mostly because it has hardly any words. It very much leaves the book up to the reader and how they would want to perceive it. I think it's a perfect children's book because children are known to have the biggest imagination and that's really what this book is all about. I love the way the author starts by starting the book with a short blurb about what is going on and then ends the book with a sentence that kind of ties the book together. I'd recommend this to anyone ...more
Jenna Farhat
Feb 06, 2015 Jenna Farhat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is very very interesting and funny
How can you not love a book that has frogs floating through the air on lilypads? I found this book delightfully comical. I loved the expressions on the frog's faces as they soared around the neighborhood, through people's houses and such. You did not need words for this book at all, your mind simply filled in the blanks with all sorts of interesting tidbits. I would highly recommend this book, I loved it.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2008...
Charli Greene
David Wiesner wrote an extremely clever book, without writing anything at all. This story is full of colorful illustrations that take place of telling the story rather than having text. Each page is filled with dark colors, representing nighttime, but have pops of greens and blues that are so intriguing and interesting to look at. Almost all of the illustrations take up two pages and because of this, there is always so much to look at and admire and catch the readers eye. Not only are the scenes ...more
Candace Nelson
Summary: Tuesday by David Wiesner is another wordless picture book that uses pictures to tell the story of an odd night in a swamp. At exactly 8 o’clock bullfrogs in a swamp begin to levitate in the air and fly around a small town. They fly away from the swamp and into town. The humans that see them are just as confused at the bullfrogs. Flying through laundry lines and across town the bullfrogs seem to enjoy their journey. Then as they fly around for awhile but as quickly as it started, it ends ...more
Sandra Carolina
Mar 29, 2016 Sandra Carolina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wordless-book
Sandra Carolina Argueta
March 29, 2016
ETEC 545 wordless book
Weiser, David. Tuesday. Clarion Books, New York, 1991.
David Weisman executed the spectacular illustrations of this book, a Caldecott medal winner, using luminous, vibrant water colors. The pages zoom in and overwhelm our eyes with rich greens and emeralds, purples and blues, their "pallete and texture" assure readers that there is some kind of magical buzzing electricity in the air- events alien to earth. He features the faces of the cha
Kimberly Idso
Mar 27, 2016 Kimberly Idso rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What happens when a group of frogs on lily pads start floating on a Tuesday evening? They start flying through the town and causing trouble, that's what! They fly through people's hanging laundry, their houses and even chase a dog. This group of frogs fly on all through the night when suddenly they fall out of the sky on Wednesday early in the morning. What will happen to the frogs now? One has to keep reading to find out!

One thing I really like about this book was that it was nearly wordless. I
Haley Barbour
Title: Tuesday
Author: David Wiesner
Genre: Adventure/Fantasy
Theme(s): Magic/Imagination/Creativity
Opening line/sentence: Tuesday evening…Around eight
Brief Book Summary: This wordless book follows a group of frogs as the go around town on a Tuesday night. After the frogs are done with their adventures they return back to their lilly pads and the people of the town find the traces left by the frogs.
Professional Recommendation/Review #1: Kathy (BookHive (www.bookhive.org))
It's Tuesday evening, a
Jess Zerr
Feb 29, 2016 Jess Zerr rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This post modern picture book, Tuesday by David Wiesner is a very deep children's book. Right from the beginning the illustrator sets the mood of the book by using colors such as blue and green. Automatically, the setting of the book is established as a peaceful nature scene. Just like the title, the book does not say much, leaving the message vague. David creates a mystical emotion as we journey through this almost wordless picture book.

Tuesday. As we journey through the book, we start with ar
  • Time Flies
  • The Red Book
  • Hey, Al
  • Smoky Night
  • Black and White
  • The Fool of the World and the Flying Ship
  • The Lion and the Mouse
  • The Garden of Abdul Gasazi
  • So You Want to Be President?
  • Golem
  • Chalk
  • Shadow
  • One Fine Day
  • Many Moons
During David Wiesner's formative years, the last images he saw before closing his eyes at night were the books, rockets, elephant heads, clocks, and magnifying glasses that decorated the wallpaper of his room. Perhaps it was this decor which awakened his creativity and gave it the dreamlike, imaginative quality so often found in his work.

As a child growing up in suburban New Jersey, Wiesner re-cre
More about David Wiesner...