Rojo Es El Mejor (Red Is Best)

Rojo Es El Mejor (Red Is Best)

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  598 ratings  ·  41 reviews
This title is especially made for the lap audience. "My mom doesn't understand about red. I like my red stockings best. My mom says, 'Wear these. Your white stockings look good with that dress.' But I can jump higher in my red stockings. I like my red stockings best". This is a great deal of fun to read with pre-schoolers.
Published March 1st 1994 by Turtleback Books (first published June 1st 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Rojo Es El Mejor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rojo Es El Mejor

Amy Musser
Some people like green. Some people like blue. But the little girl in this book likes red the best. Her mother tries to convince her to wear her white stockings with her blue dress, but Kelly clains that she can jump higher in her red stockings. Though her mother protests, Kelly also insists on her red boots, red mittens, and her red barrettes. Red paint puts singing in her head and juice in her red cup tastes best. As Kelly says, "I like red, because red is best."

Available in picture book or bo...more
Briana
Source: Netgalley

Review posted in English, then Spanish below.

Review

Red Is Best is an energetic story about a young girl’s love for her favorite color. Told from the child’s perspective, it explains in dogged terms how red things are better: red socks let one jump higher, red glasses make beverages taste better. It is not logical, of course, but it is sincere and a realistic portrayal of a child’s passion and imagination.

In addition to enjoying the story, young readers will be able to relate to...more
Stephanie
I viewed this book on Tumblebooks through Library of Virginia. I again enjoyed the presentation of the literature through the use of advanced technology for an intermediate audience. I was looking forward to this story which reflected a child's strong preference for color. I liked the simple illustrations and thought they were effective, pleasant, and easily identifiable for young children. I also liked the idea of this presentation of a concept book for color identification.
I was really, trul...more
Connie
This book does not attempt to explain preferences in reasonable terms, but in the terms of a child. The red mittens are best because they make better snowballs. The red paint puts singing in her head. The juice just tastes better in the red cup. She likes red because red is best - just as simple as that.

And we can see from the pictures that some of these arguments (like the one about the red cup and red pajamas) she wins and others (like the red rainboots for the snow) she simply doesn't. Pretty...more
Jill
Red is my favorite color so I had no problem with the title. :) The book is short, cute, and straight from the mind of someone who understands kids. The illustrations made a good story even better.

I'm now on the lookout to buy this one.
Nathan Trevor
I found this book at work the other day and had to bring it home. I remember reading this book in elementary school, and then being assigned to write my own version (which I cleverly entitled 'Blue is Best'!). So I figured it was worth a second read.

And a third. And about 5 more times after that.

I love the plot of this book - it really showcases the imagination of a child. The pictures are good too. They aren't my favorite style, but they don't have to be because they are perfect for really youn...more
Shelli Gheen
In Red is Best (1982), written by Kathy Stinson and illustrated by Robin Baird Lewis, a little girl describes how and why red is best. Her reasons are classic. For example, she says, "But my red barrettes make my hair laugh." Truly a classic.

Themes: Individuality; Independence

Ways to use this book with children:
*Make posters with "Red is Best", "Yellow is Best", "Green is Best", and so forth. Have students draw and color things that are each color. Vote on which poster/color is best. Graph the r...more
Dolores
Children in our school begin learning Spanish at age 3. We are always looking for books that are either bilingual or in simple Spanish. Not at age 3, but certainly before they outgrow their interest in this type of book, our students will be able to read most of this independently. Many of the words they might not know can be figured out by looking at the illustrations.

The story is charming and right on target for this age group.
Mckinley
Preference for a color.
Dolly
Mar 27, 2013 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Every once in awhile, we'll pull up the on Tumblebooks website(www.tumblebooks.com) and watch a book being narrated aloud. It's fun and entertaining and we've discovered some great stories there.

This is a simple story of a child who prefers red. There's not much else to it, but it's a fun little tale that would certainly appeal to young children. Our girls are growing out of books like this, but we still enjoyed watching this one together.
C Klassen
I might use this with early years students exploring colour, emotion, or persuasive writing.
Selena
Red is Best is a delightful story about a little girl who, much to her mother's dismay, only wants to wear clothes that are red. Whether they are too small, too old or too tattered, she doesn't care and politely insists that 'Red is best'. Strong minded children and parents everywhere will love this story. Age 4-8.
Amber
I actually had a student in my first grade placement who was just like the character in this book! He wanted red everything and would throw a fit at the site of any other color! (: But overall, nice book for helping students understand the concepts of colors- recommended for younger grades.
Dijon Chiasson
A cute classic, about a little girl who likes red things, despite her mother's protestations that her red mittens have holes, her red rainboots aren't meant for snow, use the other colour thing that is task appropriate, etc, etc. You get the idea.

Very simple story, but nice.
Christine
I share Kelly's fondness for red things. Perhaps that is why I so enjoy reading this book. If only Kelly's mom could understand the emotion a colour can evoke in us life would be much simpler. A wonderful read for a preschool audience.
Kayla
Read this book when I was a little girl. My mother used to take me to the library and we would pick out books and I remember wanting her to read this book to me. A fond memory and a cute little imaginative book.
Kirstin Kemppainen
This is a cute story about how the little girl, Kelly, like her red "everything" better. She's obsessed with the color red! Very easy read for new readers and very nice illustrations to go along with the book!
Sheri
A book we borrowed from the library this week.
I am hoping Sophie will choose it for her nighttime story tonight. I think the idea of preschooler's colour preferences is universal.
Amanda
Jul 06, 2008 Amanda rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Parents and their preschoolers
Recommended to Amanda by: Bev Bos
Sometimes it's frustrating having a preschooler! They only want what they want! This book is from the preschoolers perspective. She explains why red really is best!
Heather
25 months - Apparently a classic book by a Canadian author. I fun color book and I certainly enjoyed the humor of a small child obsessing over everything of one color.
Lonica
This cute little book is a huge favorite with both Amelia and I. It reminds me of Eloise and Olivia. I might be partial, though, as red is best.
Emily
This is a great kids picture book - the story is very cute and well-written, except of course, that it's about the color red (not cougar blue). :)
Stefanie Bingham
I love this book! It really helps students to understand the concepts of colors and it would be useful for younger grades.
Estrella

NO FU**KING DOUBT!! I WAS ATTRACTED BY THE TITLE OF THIS BOOK, AND ALSO RED IS MY FAVORITE COLOR, SO I LOVED IT.
Melanie
I love how well this book illustrates a child's passion for a particular color. The story is timeless.
Wanda
I loved this book!
Have you ever had a favorite color? Kelly is a toddler who loves the color red....
Stephanie
lovely artwork-simple black and white with light blue. Shots of red and other colors introduced.
Vida
I agreed with her when I was a child, and still do as an adult. Red is best! Very cute book.
Kate
Cute...how had I never read this before. It's a classic for storytime, lots of repetition.
  • The Balloon Tree
  • Mortimer
  • Stella, Queen of the Snow
  • Alligator Pie (Collector's Edition)
Kathy Stinson, author of internationally acclaimed Canadian children's classic, Red is Best, also writes novels, short stories, and nonfiction for young people of all ages.
More about Kathy Stinson...
The Man with the Violin What Happened to Ivy 101 Ways to Dance Becoming Ruby Dark Spring (Our Canadian Girl: Marie-Claire, #1)