Start by marking “Crow Boy [With Hardcover Book]” as Want to Read:
Crow Boy [With Hardcover Book]

Crow Boy [With Hardcover Book]

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  893 ratings  ·  156 reviews
"A shy mountain boy in Japan leaves his home at dawn and returns at sunset to go to the village school. Pictures and text of moving and harmonious simplicity."--Saturday Review. Caldecott Honor Book. Full-color illustrations.
Audio CD
Published January 1st 2004 by Live Oak Media (NY) (first published September 30th 1955)

To ask other readers questions about Crow Boy [With Hardcover Book], please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crow Boy [With Hardcover Book]

Esther
Crow Boy
Taro Yashima
Viking: New York 1955

This book is a great way to introduce the topic of bullying through a multicultural lens. This story centers around a boy that does not fit with the social and cultural norms of his classmates throughout his school career. He continually is bullied and made fun of until the sixth grade when a teacher takes interest in him and creates opportunities for him to show his talents and knowledge. This account of prolonged bullying and the resilience of a single
Shanna Gonzalez
Crow Boy is a memorable story, apparently drawn from the author's childhood memories of Japan. On the first day of school in a small village, a young boy is found hidden beneath the schoolhouse floor. The boy comes to be called "Chibi" for his small stature, and is ostracized by his classmates. After six years, a new teacher notices that Chibi's knowledge and skills distinguish him from the other children. He displays Chibi's artwork and writing on the wall, and admires his knowledge of the natu ...more
Eva Leger
Julia and I read both Umbrella and Crow Boy this past week and we didn't end up very find of the first. I remember it now with annoyance I'm sorry to say.
This was exactly the opposite although I was surprised that Julia liked it as much as did. The Caldecott helped because she has an intense interest in books with that honor all of a sudden.
The illustrations were similar Umbrella but neither of us liked the pictures as much in Crow Boy, especially Crow Boy's face. The angles are too sharp and th
Jennifer Ha
Crow Boy is a realistic fiction book that shows the perfect example of "We should never judge a book by its cover". It also shows that teachers could be the ones to discriminate children along with their students. In the beginning of the story, Crow Boy was judged by his teacher and his classmates, and he was always alone. Things went well towards the end of the story because of another teacher's positive perspective on Crow Boy. This story made me realize that teachers' actions will greatly inf ...more
Robert
**** Caldecott Honor (1956) ****

I love the colorful illustrations and the message of understanding, although I doubt that imitating crows is going to make any boy popular in todays culture. If anything, it would alienate a child and subject him to even greater ridicule. But, the message of finding hidden talent and human worth is important.
Erina Jeon
Crow Boy is one of my favorite children's books because it promotes the prevention of both bullying and cultural awareness. the story is interesting to children and offers them things to think about, question, or consider. This book is perfect for a text talk lesson because it includes a thick, rich plot, which will encourage students to critically think about what will happen next in each section of the book. The book is about a little boy who is in elementary school. He is picked on throughout ...more
Mrs. Romaniuk
The theme of this book is excellent, teaching readers not to overlook someone who is different, but to rather look beyond the surface. This is a story of Chibi, a “tiny boy” who is a loner and is ostracized by his classmates. He spends his time observing his surroundings closely and soaking up the sounds and patterns of the world. It makes you think about how we go rushing about our daily lives, disregarding the little things that are unique and beautiful. This is a worthwhile read.
Samantha Weatherford
although this book would be great to teach kids the importance of accepting others, that all kids have something to offer, i was not interesting in my opinion. the pictures were also very oddly drawn so i couldn't get into the book. it does teach some great concepts as far as not teasing kids though. could also teach urban kids to think about the stryggles of rural children.
Barbara Brien
I believe this story was more about the children and adults who interacted with Crow Boy than it was about Crow Boy. It took one special teacher to see Crow Boy for what he was, and that teacher taught everyone else.
Melissa
While this book is a good first day of school read aloud to your students based off "don't judge a book by its cover", it may also give them false knowledge of Japanese culture. If the children are completely unaware Japan and its people, the children may take away from this book that most Japanese people are bullies. All of the students make fun of Crow Boy and never give him a chance. It also discusses how he walks miles to get to school, but Japan has been built up since this story was writte ...more
Laura Pharis
I thought this book contained many worth while lessons for both kids and adults. It teaches children not to overlook someone who may be different than they are, as well as to always treat others with kindness because just as the boy walked from far away to school every day, you may never know where someone else is coming from. It can also teach adults and especially teachers that they matter in the lives of children. The other students may have never been able to see past the boys differences if ...more
Kenk
Caldecott attributes: The swashes of broad stroke painting in this book are incredibly detailed. Many pictures evoke raw emotion and almost tell the story without the text.

Literary attributes: Teaches about bullying, ridicule, and human differences. Also addressed are individual differences, unique abilities, persistence, determination and the value that one teacher can hold in the life of a child. Both the stoic and the caring teacher personalities are addressed.

Excellent teaching book.
Rachel
This book won a 1956 Caldecott Honor. I'd seen it in several children's collections, but had never picked it up. It was an unusual story, but a good one. Chibi, which means "tiny boy" is afraid of the teachers and students at his school, and is for the most part ignored by them, when he is not bullied. He does not do his lessons like the other children, but instead entertains himself by looking and watching things inside and outside the classroom. But he comes to school every day very faithfully ...more
Alice
It is banned book week and this was on a list of banned books. It is a Caldecott Honor, but I do not like the pictures. I think the story is go, so maybe someone can go back and make the pictures better. We have had this book in our library for awhile and honestly, when I shelved it, I figured it was a Crow Indian.

Nope, this is about a Japanese boy. He is the loner in the class, no one talks to him, and he doesn't say a thing, until a teacher gets to know him and find out his talent. The abilit
Mal Czuba
"Crow Boy" by Taro Yashima is a winner of the Caldecott Honor Book, but also is on the list of young children’s books that have been challenged. Taro Yashima created story about tiny boy name Chibi, who lives in small Japanese village, who is going to school and who is treated unkindly by his classmates. Chibi was kept to himself for long six years of school and only because the new teacher was hired Chibi’s life changed. The new teacher, Mr.Isobe, who was a “friendly man with a kind smile”, was ...more
Lauren
Crow Boy is a book written and illustrated by Taro Yashima. It tells the story of a young boy (Chibi) in Japan who is very misunderstood by his classmates. After many years, he finally has a teacher who takes the time to get to know him and his story. Because of this teacher, Chibi is able to perform in the school talent show and everyone sees a different side to him. After, his classmates are more understanding and try to be nicer to him. Overall, this book was okay. It is not a book I would re ...more
Jade Detzer
I really didn't like this book too much at first. It didn't seem modernized and I couldn't relate very well to it. Once I figured out the meaning behind the story, it made a lot of sense to me. It's good to see books where the teacher can make a difference. This might be a good book to read to students on the first day to show that your teacher is somebody you can trust and talk to if there is ever a problem. It would be a good Morning Meeting book.
Shelby Royalty
I greatly enjoyed the moral of this story (acceptance, gaining self-esteems, teachers can help...), but the story itself seemed somewhat boring to me. The story line seemed to move a little slowly, and because of the Japanese culture that is central to the story, I was a little bit confused about some of the things that were happening (kids only go to school for 6 years?). Since it does teach such great lessons, I think I would use it in my classroom.
Ashley Storms
Crow Boy thoughtfully addresses the amazing difference that a teacher can make in a student's life. However, I do not believe that the book addresses the issue of bullying appropriately. Students go from calling the main character "small boy" to calling him "crow boy", which, in my opinion, is not an upgrade. I would probably not read this book to my classroom because it is outdated, and does not represent modern-day Japan.
Amber Haynes
Japanese student Chibi was an outcast for years at school, until that one teacher took the time to figure him out.

A simplistic story, with a deep message. This Caldecott Honor winning book, highlights a problem many children face; not fitting in. This is a heartwarming book that shows everyone has something special about them, it just takes one person to show that they care.

This is a great book to use with elementary age students to teach character education; especially empathy and individuali
Cindi

In 1956, a Japanese-American using the pseudonym Taro Yashima, won a Caldecott Honor for his book 'Crow Boy.' This story of a young Japanese boy was created for the author's daughter. The author also wrote two other children's books, 'Umbrella' and 'Seashore Story,' using this pseudonym. He received Caldecott Honors for these books as well. He died in California in 1994.

Stories like this never go out of style.

It is easy to see why Crow Boy by Taro Yashima can still be found in libraries and book
Emily
Crow Boy can be used instrumentally within a classroom. After reading this book, the teacher could discuss with her students how each of their classmates are special and have their own story and abilities. This book would be helpful for initiating some class research on Japan as well. Crow Boy is a motivational read for teachers who have forgotten just how inspiring of a role they possess in a student's life.
Kelsey Connolly
Crow Boy - Taro Yashima
multicultural

Response - Crow Boy is a book about a young student that is ostracized by the other students for seeming different. When he finds a teacher that can showcase his strengths and help other students understand his differences, this student gains confidence and the student body gains empathy. I loved this book, and believe it would be an important story to showcase a different culture while also finding bridges in cultural tendencies between a contemporary America
Brent Rogers
This is a good book to read to students on the first day to show that your teacher is somebody you can trust and talk to about anything. The story may be hard to follow at the beginning, but it gets better throughout. Crow Boy would be beneficial to children having a hard time making friends or dealing with bullying issues.
Susan
I enjoyed this story and liked the message of perseverance, how the boy even though he was not accepted by his peers still came to school everyday. I also felt this was a good example of how everyone no matter their differences have value and something to add to the community. I would use this book to teach the importance of respecting each other, and having a safe environment where everyone has value.
Andrew
Crow Boy provides a great example over-coming obstacles with just a small amount of encouragement. The time setting could be a little out-dated for younger readers, but the message is still the same: a small compliment could make a world of difference to anyone. Also great for an anti-bullying message.
Angel Romero
Summary: Chibi is a small boy that does not talk in the classroom. He hides his face staring at the ceiling and looking away the bad faces that children make at him. At a talent show Chibi demonstrates crow sounds to the school. The children realize how wrong they were by treating him unfairly.
Reaction:
This realistic fiction book portrays the story of a boy being neglected and bullied at school. This is a great story to share with third/fourth graders. Through the story I felt sorry that Chibi
Whitney Roberts
This is a great read for children struggling to fit in and those struggling to accept others. I loved the illustrations in this book. This book really demonstrates the power of a teacher and it's one I will definitely add to my bookshelf for my future students and myself.
Ashley Enlow
Crow Boy was a great book to address topics such as names, acceptance and being yourself. Crow Boy was always true to himself and continued going to and from school with what he had. He was accepted by the children at his school after his teacher acknowledged him (Teachers have so much impact) Names are important to who a person is but especially a child. I would want to use this book to help the children know that it is okay to be yourself and have all kinds of special talents.
Katie (Katrina) Means
Great story about how to not judge a book by it's cover, and what power a teacher has. Names are also very important in this story. Don't count someone out until you know the whole story, and fund out what your students enjoy.
  • My Mother is the Most Beautiful Woman in the World
  • April's Kittens
  • 1 Is One
  • Walk On!: A Guide for Babies of All Ages
  • Green Eyes (Family Storytime)
  • A Pocketful of Cricket
  • Nothing At All
  • Thy Friend, Obadiah
  • The Boy of the Three-Year Nap
  • Play with Me
  • Fly High, Fly Low (50th Anniversary ed.)
  • A Very Special House