Start by marking “In the Absence of the Sacred” as Want to Read:
In the Absence of the Sacred

In the Absence of the Sacred

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  343 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Mander goes beyond television (which he proclaimed as being dangerous to personal health and sanity in Four Arguments for the Elimination of Television) to critique our technological society as a whole, challenge its utopian promises, and track its devastating impact on native cultures worldwide. "Will interest all readers concerned about our environment and quality of lif ...more
Published January 1st 1998 by Peter Smith Publisher (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about In the Absence of the Sacred, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Absence of the Sacred

The Shock Doctrine by Naomi KleinA People's History of the United States by Howard ZinnThe Conscience of a Liberal by Paul KrugmanNickel and Dimed by Barbara EhrenreichTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
Best Progressive Reads
273rd out of 431 books — 218 voters
1984 by George OrwellThe Constitution of the United States of America by James MadisonAnimal Farm by George OrwellThe Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the U... by Thomas JeffersonThe Road to Serfdom by Friedrich Hayek
Best Books For Freedom Lovers
346th out of 423 books — 240 voters

More lists with this book...

Shawn Sorensen
Might be my favorite book, one of those titles that always stay with you. It does an excellent job of articulating so many of the feelings many of us have had regarding the decimation of native peoples over what has just been a few centuries. Without guilt trips or a lot of generalizations, author Jerry Mander highlights how so many tribes were wiped out, their best features of self-government that current nation-states could consider, and how roughly a billion native peoples are thriving in the ...more
Mark
One of those books that pull so many things together and do it in a lucid, understandable fashion... I kept finding myself saying “Yes! That is exactly what the problem is!” and then continuing on to a new nugget of wisdom. One of the best sections of the book is a listing of the underlying and structural reasons that corporations are damaging to society and to the earth. As one might guess, the profit motive ranks right up there, but there are other business that are profit driven that don’t wr ...more
Linda  Branham Greenwell
U guess I need to add a new shelf
This was written in 1991 but is still very relevant today. It is about the effects of technology on us as a people. He also discusses the plight on the Native American in our world of technology... how we have destroyed their culture, their connection with the land in believing "our" way to be superior. In reality living in balance with all of nature is preferable than the nightmare that we have created
Lindsay
Oct 12, 2008 Lindsay rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everybody
Recommended to Lindsay by: the film "What a Way to Go: Life at the End of Empire"
This book is divided into two parts: first, a critique of modern high-tech, global consumer culture (the book was written in 1991); and second, an in-depth look at the conflict between that culture and various traditional, indigenous ways of life around the globe.

The first part extends Mander's essential premise from Four Arguments for the Elimination of Television --- that all technological innovations have social and political implications which should be evaluated along with each invention's
jeremy
jerry mander is an engrossing writer, his evidence well-researched and convincing. this book is important because it not only upends many of the fallacies regarding the "neutrality" of technologies, but because it also demonstrates the effect these technologies have had (are having) on indigenous cultures. his warning is an emphatic one, entreating us to return to the more authentic values still practiced by an ever-decreasing number of people around the globe.
Deeann
This was just a lucky find in a used book store. The author formerly developed adverstising campaigns for national environmental organizations and works in the field of advertising.

The book describes the history of technology from an objective point of view, the impact of modern technology on indigenous cultures worldwide and how technology has been used as a means to extract land and other resources from indigenous people.
Simone
Raises concerns about the pervasiveness of technology in the lives of Americans and the rest of the world; looks at traditional Native American ways of life and the effect that technology has had on their lifestyles and cultures; dispels some comfortable myths about what encroaching Western presence has actually accomplished for native peoples already in existence.
Costacoralito
An excellent view of what we must do to save the Earth. How we swindled Alaska away from the Native population while telling the world we were being fair and honest with them. Very dishonorable way to behave.
Victoria Adams
I acquired this book at one of those delightful moments provided by a friend of mine. She was attending university at the time and, for my birthday, walked me into the university bookstore and said – pick something, anything. When these rare moments arrive I like to make sure that my selection is not necessarily something I would purchase browsing the shelves with my own budget. I will look for something intriguing, new to me, off my usual radar. I find such treasurers that way!

Written in 1991 t
Susan
I wish I had read this book twenty years ago when it was written!

Despite being a little out of date in the details (the references to "the Soviets" were charmingly nostalgic for this 80s kid), his central thesis is even more relevant today: this culture is killing the planet. Indigenous people are not passive recipients of Western charity and civilizing; rather, they are trying desperately to hold their cultures together in an effort to save the planet - *they* are helping *us*.

This is probably
Carolyn
In The Absence of the Sacred is of the great socio/political/psychological/ecological books of our times. Mander's fierce intellect cuts through our worship of technology and belief and goes to the bone of what sustains us.

Mander makes it clear that technology will not only NOT save the world but is in fact destroying the world. The realities of what we have lost as a civilization are incalculable -- most of our land is polluted, 90% of our big fish are extinct, 40% of all living species are go
David Rush
I think I read this book 20 plus years ago, and I think I like it then. But this time I could only get 50 pages into it.

This time around it seemed like he had his views and then collected whatever data, anecdote or part of a conversation that backed up his view. In one sense that is cool, but he never really addressed any point that might detract from his thesis. Oh I think I his thesis that most technology is bad but he didn't really spell it out in the beginning so I may be wrong.

But, the way
Ryan Mishap
Great book questioning technology/industrial culture and contrasting our civilization with that of Indian nations. East to read, personal, and wide in scope, a good book to start looking at technology and our society with.
Keep in mind Ward Churchill's criticisms about Mander's reliance on white sources over native ones.
Braden Canfield
A book that has influenced me greatly!
Sean Canton
I like books that challenge my worldview, and this does. The author is opinionated, but the basic argument, that technology fails to deliver on it's promises, is not refutable.
Roy
"Inspiring, sometimes gripping, Jerry Mander's elegant prose reminds us that re-attunement with nature's laws is not self-sacrificing atonment. It is the rediscovery of more soul-satisfying ways of living. Through Mander's eyes, native peoples are no quaint relics; they become sources of precisely the practical wisdom our species needs not only for survival but for renewal. Mander's insights help us gain confidence to declare liberation from the technological imperative."
--Frances Moore Lappe
Dylan
I recommend the last section on contemporary indigenous struggles. It is the one part that successfully integrates his main themes with specific case studies. The preceding chapters seem to me like two distinct, unfinished books: one on Native Americans and another on technology. He says at the beginning that this was his original plan. However, for the reader who knows nothing about critiques of technology or indigenous people, this book is a fine place to start.
Yaneth Suárez
Me gusta cómo la escritora va hilando la historia entre los personajes principales sin perder de vista al resto. Algunos pasajes del libro son bastante graciosos y me aportaron sus buenas dosis de carcajadas. Lo único que hizo que el libro no me llegara al máximo es el hecho de que jamás podré sentirme identificada con un personaje tan lleno de complejos, dudas, frustraciones y tan carente de orgullo.
Kham
Oct 01, 2009 Kham added it
Couldn't get through it! Not for lack of good content--but I already know the human race is astray and a slave to technology, lacking connection to the natural world. Seems like the author reiterates the same thing over and over. It's a depressing and frustrating topic, and I just couldn't hang with it. I want to escape when I read!
Aunt
Jan 09, 2009 Aunt marked it as to-read
Next on my list, an argument for eliminating television from our culture and society.
Subtitled- The Failure of Technology and the Survival of the Indian Nations.
Ron
Far from a spiritual text, the former media insider moves on to tackle computers and video games as having the same structural problems as television.
Olin Hyde
Well articulated arguments that utterly failed the test of time yet were convincing enough to cloud my thinking (at the time).
Matt
Actually a lot better than one would think given the wordy title. An easy, entertaining, and enlightening read...
Elmira Vay
Author is very pessimistic and reactionary. His arguments are spatial and have no deal with life of my generation.
Xochilt
Probably one of the most eye-opening books I've ever read. Highly recommend it.
J G
Read 4 Arguments for the Elimination of Television 1st.
Richard Williams
In the Absence of the Sacred by Jerry Mander (1991)
Mark Sequeira
An excellent read! Recommended.
Seana
Great, but depressing.
Kinich
Jul 15, 2007 Kinich rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
this is a wonderfull book
  • Endgame, Vol. 1: The Problem of Civilization
  • Myth of the Machine : Technics and Human Development
  • The Pursuit of Loneliness: America's Discontent and the Search for a New Democratic Ideal
  • Hope, Human and Wild: True Stories of Living Lightly on the Earth
  • The Ecology of Freedom: The Emergence and Dissolution of Hierarchy
  • What Matters?: Economics for a Renewed Commonwealth
  • Columbus and Other Cannibals: The Wetiko Disease of Exploitation, Imperialism, and Terrorism
  • Original Wisdom: Stories of an Ancient Way of Knowing
  • Against His-Story, Against Leviathan!
  • Deep Green Resistance: Strategy to Save the Planet
  • Woman and Nature: The Roaring Inside Her
  • Coming Back to Life: Practices to Reconnect Our Lives, Our World
  • Ecofeminism
  • Depletion and Abundance: Life on the New Home Front
  • The Technological Society
Four Arguments for the Elimination of Television The Case Against the Global Economy: And for a Turn toward the Local The Capitalism Papers: Fatal Flaws of an Obsolete System The Great International Paper Airplane Book Alternatives to Economic Globalization: A Better World Is Possible