Tanaya toglie il velo

Tanaya toglie il velo

3.03 of 5 stars 3.03  ·  rating details  ·  401 ratings  ·  53 reviews
Tanaya, una bellissima ragazza di Mumbay, è stata cresciuta in famiglia da un nonno autoritario e conservatore che ha deciso di farla sposare giovanissima a un ragazzo indiano che come lei che vive a Parigi. Tanaya si rifiuta di sposarlo senza averlo visto almeno brevemente e chiede al nonno di poterlo incontrare. Con molta riluttanza il nonno accetta e Tanaya parte alla v...more
Hardcover, Omnibus, 210 pages
Published 2006 by Mondadori

Petra X
This is a fast read, very much in the chicklit genre but at its core has the problem of how far an Indian Muslim girl should determine her own life and how much she should remain true to the traditional way her family are trying to enforce. The problem is compounded by the fact she becomes a top model and although the supposed baggage of lovers, drugs and a wild life are not true in her case, who would believe that, especially not her family. What is also interesting in the book is the very obvi...more
Bookchica
Mar 28, 2008 Bookchica rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Salaam Paris is about a 19 year old Indian Muslim girl, Tanaya Shah, from a conservative family. She leaves Mumbai to go to Paris under the guise of meeting the man she has been promised to. Once in Paris, she breaks away from her family. Ignoring the gnawing guilt of behaving unlike a good Muslim and to find the her individual freedom that she romantically links with Paris, having dreamed of achieving Zen-like satisfaction a la Audrey Hepburn in Sabrina.

She goes on to become one of the most sou...more
Sherry
Maybe because I'm muslim, I loved the film Sabrina, I seemed to get the gist of the book's message. Although it is very un realistic, the way was written does have heart. It's not terrible, but not everyone can relate to it, or it's hard to relate to in some aspects of growing up and getting married.

I still want to go to Paris one day and have my own adventure!
Savannah Leigh
Now I did like for Matrimonial Purposes and Indie Girl, written by Kavita Daswani. Neither is the though provoking depths of Vikram Seth, but they were enjoyable stories, with likable characters and a nice peek into the Indian culture for those who were knew to the culture.

And while it was obvious from Indie Girl that the fashion world in relation to traditional Indian values is a favorite theme of Daswani, I have really no clue what this book was about. At first from the prologue I thought it w...more
Londonmabel Mabel
Feb 05, 2011 Londonmabel Mabel rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: not
Recommended to Londonmabel by: found in bargain books
I picked up Salaam, Paris by Kavita Daswani as a sale book, so I didn't have big expectations. It's about Tanaya, a young Muslim Indian woman who's always dreamed of living in Paris. When her family wants her to marry a Muslim man living in Paris she agrees to go meet him, but instead turns her back on the arrangement and lives an independent life, eventually becoming a fashion model. The usual conflicts arise--feeling torn between her traditional upbringing and her bikini-clad magazine spreads,...more
Charity
Salaam, Paris centers on Tanaya Shah, a nineteen-year-old Muslim girl living in India, who is about to enter into an arranged marriage...or so her family believes. However, Audrey Hepburn has made Tanaya long for something more. After seeing the movie Sabrina, Tanaya is desperate to see Paris and be "of the world", just like Audrey's title character in the movie.

Under the guise of meeting with her future husband, Tanaya is able to leave for Paris with the blessing of her family. But, once there,...more
Christina
Ashley (cnthrdlywt2bwz)
This is my "romance" selection for the WBC. I like learning about
Muslim culture so I can understand better where they're coming from and what traditional values have been established.

This book leans heavily on the woman's connection to her family and the choices that she makes to affect that relationship. At some point the woman falls for the man with whom she had an arranged marriage but refused to marry. (Don't worry, that spoiler is on the cover!) It's fun to read about the author's imagine...more
Alice
Mi sono appassionata alle storie della Daswani: donne indiane profondamente legate alla propria terra di origine, alla propria famiglia, alle tradizioni. Donne che vogliono con tutto il cuore uscire da quei legami familiari che spesso sembrano le sbarre di una gabbia. Donne che si "emancipano" e scelgono, seppur con sommo dolore, di andare a vivere da sole all'estero, lavorare ed affrontare un mondo diversissimo.
Il legame della scrittrice con la sua India deve essere molto stretto, se comunque...more
Cheryl
This is an enjoyable enough light read. The main character, Tanaya, is naive and new to everything, having spent her whole life in India, and this is portrayed well in the writing style. It makes it easy to follow along with her on her journey, discovering who she really is. Whether this is intentional or not, I don't know. It is an interesting point of view - not just a new model but a Muslim model, not used to being any part of that world. I think so much more could have been done with this as...more
Zainab
Salaam, Paris was an interesting read. A young Muslim girl, from a religious family living a good, normal life who found the courage to venture out on her own to a foreign land is practically unheard of in that part of the world. She faces challenges including her family disowning her but I admire her for not only staying strong & facing those challenges head on but also for staying true to her religion regarding alcohol, drugs & pork. I like that it had a happy ending too :)
After reading this book, I am honestly disappointed. From the blurb, I had so many high expectations and in the end I was bored. I kept reading hoping the story would get better, but it didn't. This book was so boring and the plot was overdone, it felt too bollywood; overly dramatic. I'm surprised Tanaya (the main character) did not stop in the middle of knowhere to sing a song. Maybe that would have made the story a bit bearable, who knows?
Harpreet
The story's slightly farfetched. There's quite the emphasis on beauty and the naivety of a sheltered woman coming from India. There's the fulfillment of a dream but the dream seems too much for the dreamer to handle. It's a good story, don't get me wrong, but it wasn't one of the greatest and I wouldn't mind recommending it but it wouldn't be one of those books that jumped off the shelf for me to suggest. It's a story, worth looking into.
Sara Jo
I was really disappointed in the character's so-called religious beliefs. She gave up nearly every shred of morality she was raised with in her new life and when she finally decided to stand up for herself with the guy she was supposed to marry - she completely caved to his ridiculous behavior toward her. It was like the author decided she had to compromise the character at the end just to make sure she had a happy ending.
Robbin
I love anything that has to do with fashion and modeling, and I love Indian novels...so how about an Indian Muslim girl who becomes an international model? Decent story, fast read, but lacks crucial mother-daughter character development and I got the sense the author was in a hurry to end the story before it was really finished. Overall, not bad, but could've been a little bit better.
Bhavya Bhatia
wow! kavita daswani didn't the let the story lose the sparks throughout the novel. I like the way the protagonist is. its a women centric book about a girl who wants to do something in life and where destiny takes her.

you will fall in love with Tanaya. Daswani describes small details with a good flavour. I enjoyed reading the book. it is an easy read.
Rachel Rogers
A new author for me. A new branch of literature. I enjoyed the characters even if they got a bit repetitive at times. Women are certainly objectified, both in the traditional Indian/Muslim society that laces this as well as all over the world in the world of fashion Tanaya enters. Denouement was a little abrupt. I'll look for more by this author.
Crystal
A young woman from India goes to Paris (inspired by Audrey Hepburn in Sabrina) supposedly to meet the man her family has arranged for her to marry. She begins to live a life very different from the one her conservative family would have her choose. I found the multicultural aspects interesting and enjoyed this lighthearted romance.
Margherita Dolcevita
No, decisamente no. Mi erano piaciuti moltissimi gli altri due della Daswani e ho atteso questo con ansia, ma non ci siamo. Intanto scorre troppo velocemente, sembra il riassunto di un romanzo più che un romanzo vero e proprio. Poi tutta la storia è talmente improbabile che in confronto i romance che leggo sono neorealisti.
Nicole
Entertaining for when you're bored but it was kind of dumb and really unrealistic because its about an Indian girl that becomes a supermodel overnight and it was just kind of stupid. But I read it in like a day and it was sort of entertaining. You don't really have to think when you read it.
Kayla
This book read like light-reading nu chick lit for girls from more conservative backgrounds, which is fine I suppose. It was rehashing a lot of old predictable tropes in a slower speed, and the ending made me roll my eyes. I'm not in this book's target audience, it's pretty clear.
Jules
I didn't adore this the way I did FOR MATRIMONIAL PURPOSES, but to be fair, there aren't many books, period, that I adore the way I do that one. The pacing was a bit off, I felt, and I wish we'd seen more of some characters (Zoe, for instance). But on the whole, definitely a fun read.
Susan Empizo Vega
Courtney
A cute story. Quite a bit unlikely, but not so much that I was taken out of the book by it. Just enough to make me roll my eyes a few times. I like our heroine in this tale. She was sweet and strong-willed at the same time. She pursued what she wanted.
Yuska Vonita
An Indian muslim struggling in Paris as a model. I can't stop reading this book.
I'm a sucker for cultural chick lit and this one is a great book. I always like the way Kavita Daswani writes. This is the 2nd book that I read after Village Bride.
Sasha Strader
Pretty darned good book, but what else can you expect from Daswani? The cultural boundaries and modern dilemmas in this book are wonderfully integrated into a story that would generally be considered chick-lit. Bravo, Daswani.
Karen
A great plane / beach book. Predictable but fun...and it certainly opens up a new era in Chick Lit. An Indian Muslim "escapes to Paris" to be a supermodel. Not earthshattering lit, but a fun story.
Marie
Indian literature seems to be very popular at the moment, and some books are better than others. The title of this book drew me in, but the story was not particularly deep or memorable.
Fran
Jun 10, 2008 Fran rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: chick lit fans
Recommended to Fran by: on remainder table at Borders and I like Indian fiction
Shelves: indian-fiction
Chick lit meets Indian fiction. Not the greatest by any means, but it is a nice intro to light Indian fiction. Unbelievable (in the typical chick lit fantasy way) but fun.
Heidi
Great story for tween girls about family relationships and being hip when you're not. Totally chaste, too! Fun read, and will look for others by this author.
  • An Unfinished Score
  • The Hindi-Bindi Club
  • Petals From The Sky
  • Alis
  • Amigoland
Kavita Daswani is an American author who started her career as a journalist for South China Morning Post when she only seventeen. She lived in Hong Kong before moving to Los Angeles.

Now in her thirties, she has written several novels for grown-ups and young adults that represent her passion and love for the Indian culture. In her books, we see how young Indian girls are trying to break away from t...more
More about Kavita Daswani...
For Matrimonial Purposes The Village Bride of Beverly Hills Lovetorn Indie Girl Bombay Girl