Start by marking “Tanaya toglie il velo” as Want to Read:
Tanaya toglie il velo

Tanaya toglie il velo

Tanaya, una bellissima ragazza di Mumbay, è stata cresciuta in famiglia da un nonno autoritario e conservatore che ha deciso di farla sposare giovanissima a un ragazzo indiano che come lei che vive a Parigi. Tanaya si rifiuta di sposarlo senza averlo visto almeno brevemente e chiede al nonno di poterlo incontrare. Con molta riluttanza il nonno accetta e Tanaya parte alla v ...more
Hardcover, Omnibus, 210 pages
Published 2006 by Mondadori

To ask other readers questions about Tanaya toglie il velo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tanaya toglie il velo

Petra X
May 05, 2015 Petra X rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, reviewed
This is a fast read, very much in the chicklit genre but at its core has the problem of how far an Indian Muslim girl should determine her own life and how much she should remain true to the traditional way her family are trying to enforce. The problem is compounded by the fact she becomes a top model and although the supposed baggage of lovers, drugs and a wild life are not true in her case, who would believe that, especially not her family. What is also interesting in the book is the very obvi ...more
Mar 28, 2008 Bookchica rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Salaam Paris is about a 19 year old Indian Muslim girl, Tanaya Shah, from a conservative family. She leaves Mumbai to go to Paris under the guise of meeting the man she has been promised to. Once in Paris, she breaks away from her family. Ignoring the gnawing guilt of behaving unlike a good Muslim and to find the her individual freedom that she romantically links with Paris, having dreamed of achieving Zen-like satisfaction a la Audrey Hepburn in Sabrina.

She goes on to become one of the most sou
Sep 20, 2015 Anandita rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Well as the story began i thought the protagonist was living in a sexist patriarchal muslim society. But then as the story progressed she wanted to do more than be just a "bride". She becomes a model and achieves enormous name and fame. But still, i guess, it had been instilled in her that the whole reason of her existence was to serve her husband. So she just abruptly leaves her career for a male chauvinistic pig who at one point confesses his love and then the next moment his cowardly act of j ...more
Salaam, Paris traces the journey of a young Muslim girl, Tanaya Shah, who hails from a conservative family in Mumbai. All her life she had been expected to fit into the cliched role of a housewife, learning how to cook and look after her husband. But Tanaya's secret dream is to achieve a zen-like satisfaction like Audrey Hepburn in Sabrina.
She finally gets a chance to leave Mumbai and go to Paris under the pretext of meeting the man she is promised to. Once in Paris, Tanaya breaks away from her
Jan 17, 2013 Sherry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Maybe because I'm muslim, I loved the film Sabrina, I seemed to get the gist of the book's message. Although it is very un realistic, the way was written does have heart. It's not terrible, but not everyone can relate to it, or it's hard to relate to in some aspects of growing up and getting married.

I still want to go to Paris one day and have my own adventure!
Susan Williams
I usually enjoy Daswani's light hearted tales of cultural confusion and Salaam Paris was no exception, however, I felt it was one of her weaker efforts. Tanaya is an innocent Muslim girl thrown into the glamorous world of high fashion and modeling after escaping an arranged marriage. I think I enjoyed this one less as usually, Daswani's heroines are average Indian transplants who luck into unusual opportunities.

The characters in this book are more over the top and less sympathetic. That said, th
Jul 11, 2012 Anne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: india
Now I did like for Matrimonial Purposes and Indie Girl, written by Kavita Daswani. Neither is the though provoking depths of Vikram Seth, but they were enjoyable stories, with likable characters and a nice peek into the Indian culture for those who were knew to the culture.

And while it was obvious from Indie Girl that the fashion world in relation to traditional Indian values is a favorite theme of Daswani, I have really no clue what this book was about. At first from the prologue I thought it w
Londonmabel Mabel
Feb 05, 2011 Londonmabel Mabel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: not
Recommended to Londonmabel by: found in bargain books
I picked up Salaam, Paris by Kavita Daswani as a sale book, so I didn't have big expectations. It's about Tanaya, a young Muslim Indian woman who's always dreamed of living in Paris. When her family wants her to marry a Muslim man living in Paris she agrees to go meet him, but instead turns her back on the arrangement and lives an independent life, eventually becoming a fashion model. The usual conflicts arise--feeling torn between her traditional upbringing and her bikini-clad magazine spreads, ...more
Aug 20, 2014 Nora rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
there is the never-ending focus on looks. One is ugly and worthless, or beautiful, like Tanaya, and strong, successful, even if challenged when it comes to sense of direction.

But, then this is a fanstasy. No bearing to the real world or real people whatsoever. I had to keep that in mind and cringed.. and had to ignore the inaccuracies, the clichés, and…well, the plot. The good news is that I was finished with the book quickly.
Salaam, Paris centers on Tanaya Shah, a nineteen-year-old Muslim girl living in India, who is about to enter into an arranged marriage...or so her family believes. However, Audrey Hepburn has made Tanaya long for something more. After seeing the movie Sabrina, Tanaya is desperate to see Paris and be "of the world", just like Audrey's title character in the movie.

Under the guise of meeting with her future husband, Tanaya is able to leave for Paris with the blessing of her family. But, once there,
K Chaitanya
Apr 13, 2015 K Chaitanya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a book which echoes my thoughts. It felt like Tanaya and I shared the same soul. The author weaves a story so rich and interesting that it leaves you spellbound. A beautiful girl bound by the ropes of tradition and chafing against it finds herself in Paris to meet a man found for her to marry, what ensues is the story of a determined girl who will attain her dreams, come what may. She stays true to her faith in spite of all the temptation thrown her way. Abandoned by her father and disow ...more
Oct 05, 2015 Sarah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A young Indian Muslim girl battles against the traditional roles that have been placed on her. She becomes modernized and gains independence, but remains unfulfilled. She travels around the world, but still feels the pull of her family obligations. The ending felt like the conclusion to a cliche Bollywood movie. I had hoped the main character would stand her ground and relish in her new life as a self-sufficient woman.
La'Precious Coleman
I bought this book a few years ago and when I first read it, I loved it. Honestly, I like reading books written by authors from different cultures that write stories that include their culture. This book was a good book from beginning to end and it is an easy book to read and understand.
Sep 12, 2016 Lesley rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library, fame
While enjoyable, suffered from 2 major flaws: 1. main character's lack of personality, and 2. proselytizing. Trying to respect religious conviction and all but GODDAMN was that some moral high ground bullshit ending that (barely) tried to pretend it wasn't.
Oct 03, 2015 Thanwa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Clarification: this is a 4.75, so so close to a full 5 stars, just... needed more of a full ending. I realize the romance wasn't the key part of the book, but I would have liked more details.
Ashley (cnthrdlywt2bwz)
This is my "romance" selection for the WBC. I like learning about
Muslim culture so I can understand better where they're coming from and what traditional values have been established.

This book leans heavily on the woman's connection to her family and the choices that she makes to affect that relationship. At some point the woman falls for the man with whom she had an arranged marriage but refused to marry. (Don't worry, that spoiler is on the cover!) It's fun to read about the author's imagine
Jan 03, 2015 Juliet rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A pretty cute fluffy chic lit novel. The end was predictable though it was written rather haltingly, as if the author was limited on words.
May 09, 2015 Apoorva rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
the whole story is awe-inspiring and the visualization is tantalizing, but then the climax really disappoints me.
Nov 14, 2010 Alice rated it really liked it
Mi sono appassionata alle storie della Daswani: donne indiane profondamente legate alla propria terra di origine, alla propria famiglia, alle tradizioni. Donne che vogliono con tutto il cuore uscire da quei legami familiari che spesso sembrano le sbarre di una gabbia. Donne che si "emancipano" e scelgono, seppur con sommo dolore, di andare a vivere da sole all'estero, lavorare ed affrontare un mondo diversissimo.
Il legame della scrittrice con la sua India deve essere molto stretto, se comunque
Ayktah Grover
Oct 10, 2016 Ayktah Grover rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic! A quick read with many emotional roller coasters..It's like watching a Bollywood movie but with substance:-)
Feb 07, 2012 Cheryl rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, religion, reread
This is an enjoyable enough light read. The main character, Tanaya, is naive and new to everything, having spent her whole life in India, and this is portrayed well in the writing style. It makes it easy to follow along with her on her journey, discovering who she really is. Whether this is intentional or not, I don't know. It is an interesting point of view - not just a new model but a Muslim model, not used to being any part of that world. I think so much more could have been done with this as ...more
Mar 29, 2016 Priyanka rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Like the other Kavita Daswani books I have read, this one too started off well enough. Just when I can't take the curiosity anymore, the writer crashes the book for me. The main character is made too emotional and without any depth. At some point I hated the book for making it seem like women can't do certain things or be certain ways. The book also starts to pass judgments on too many lifestyles without needing to. The ending was very off for me. This had such a nice start though!
Mar 24, 2011 Zainab rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Salaam, Paris was an interesting read. A young Muslim girl, from a religious family living a good, normal life who found the courage to venture out on her own to a foreign land is practically unheard of in that part of the world. She faces challenges including her family disowning her but I admire her for not only staying strong & facing those challenges head on but also for staying true to her religion regarding alcohol, drugs & pork. I like that it had a happy ending too :)
Jan 16, 2012 Jennifer rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
After reading this book, I am honestly disappointed. From the blurb, I had so many high expectations and in the end I was bored. I kept reading hoping the story would get better, but it didn't. This book was so boring and the plot was overdone, it felt too bollywood; overly dramatic. I'm surprised Tanaya (the main character) did not stop in the middle of knowhere to sing a song. Maybe that would have made the story a bit bearable, who knows?
The story's slightly farfetched. There's quite the emphasis on beauty and the naivety of a sheltered woman coming from India. There's the fulfillment of a dream but the dream seems too much for the dreamer to handle. It's a good story, don't get me wrong, but it wasn't one of the greatest and I wouldn't mind recommending it but it wouldn't be one of those books that jumped off the shelf for me to suggest. It's a story, worth looking into.
Sara Jo
Nov 24, 2012 Sara Jo rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was really disappointed in the character's so-called religious beliefs. She gave up nearly every shred of morality she was raised with in her new life and when she finally decided to stand up for herself with the guy she was supposed to marry - she completely caved to his ridiculous behavior toward her. It was like the author decided she had to compromise the character at the end just to make sure she had a happy ending.
Dec 06, 2012 Robbin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love anything that has to do with fashion and modeling, and I love Indian how about an Indian Muslim girl who becomes an international model? Decent story, fast read, but lacks crucial mother-daughter character development and I got the sense the author was in a hurry to end the story before it was really finished. Overall, not bad, but could've been a little bit better.
Bhavya Bhatia
wow! kavita daswani didn't the let the story lose the sparks throughout the novel. I like the way the protagonist is. its a women centric book about a girl who wants to do something in life and where destiny takes her.

you will fall in love with Tanaya. Daswani describes small details with a good flavour. I enjoyed reading the book. it is an easy read.
Rachel Rogers
Feb 13, 2012 Rachel Rogers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A new author for me. A new branch of literature. I enjoyed the characters even if they got a bit repetitive at times. Women are certainly objectified, both in the traditional Indian/Muslim society that laces this as well as all over the world in the world of fashion Tanaya enters. Denouement was a little abrupt. I'll look for more by this author.
  • Imaginary Men
  • How It Ended: New and Collected Stories
  • Almost Dead
  • Transgression
  • The Red Carpet: Bangalore Stories
  • Magic Seeds (Willie Chandran, #2)
  • Snapped
Kavita Daswani is an American author who started her career as a journalist for South China Morning Post when she only seventeen. She lived in Hong Kong before moving to Los Angeles.

Now in her thirties, she has written several novels for grown-ups and young adults that represent her passion and love for the Indian culture. In her books, we see how young Indian girls are trying to break away from t
More about Kavita Daswani...