Start by marking “Lost in Time” as Want to Read:
Lost in Time
Preview

Lost in Time

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  149 ratings  ·  9 reviews
In this innovative time-travel tale, Enzensberger treats history with the same wit, knowledge, adn charm that he broght to mathematics in The Number Devil.

When fourteen-year-old Robert blinks, he is pulled into the place and time of whatever he happens to be looking at. A television documentary leaves him shivering in Siberia in 1956, a movie drops him into the opal mines
Published October 15th 2000 by Henry Holt and Company (first published September 26th 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Lost in Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lost in Time

Lost in time is a different sort of time travel novel, indeed the German origins are quite apparent. Robert is a young hero who will appeal to both boys and girls, he moves through time, spending a total of two years in the past, divided between seven different times. His mechinism for time travel is that in times of stress when he is staring at some image he will be transported to when the image was made, thus he travels through slow increments backwards. He first travels to the 1950s in Siberi ...more
Nix
This is one of these weird books. Historical fiction, my eye. Time travel is always a sticky topic to categorize.

But the book. The book was okay, but he could have tried for a little more emotion. As a study of math, The Number Devil worked without adding too much emotion. As a study of history, which is more nebulous and often (dare I say) boring, I think adding emotion would have induced my interest a little more.

As a result of no emotion, the two girlfriends (or, he believed they were his g
Andy Bird
This was a very disappointing book. The write-up promised an intriguing journey through time, but it just did not deliver. It was disjointed with very little integration between each 'episode'. The 'episodes' were all unbelievable in the way the lead character landed on his feet each time, despite being in some very bad situations, and spent most of the time just explaining the time period. There was also very little continuity throughout the 'episodes', all leading to very little story. I would ...more
Elisabetta
Roberto was also present in the other book of Enzensberger I read. Despite seeing it only 2 times, I feel like I know Roberto :P He is clever enough to be a 15 years old, but not too much to be unpleasant. So he finds himself thrown in the past for 7 times, and he must be brave enough to look like he is not coming from future.
A really pretty story, with a bit of history (but not too tedious!)
Marc
Ik begin vandaag dit boek te lezen. Het is de eerste roman van deze dichter die ik lees. Inmiddels is het klaar. Erg lezenswaardig; spijtig dat er nog wat tikfouten in de tekst staan. Lijkt tegenwoordig wel een trend, een boek uitgeven met fouten.
Vond iets van mezelf terug in het nawoord.
Graham Botha
Enzenberger wrote a delightful children's story that is well enough written that an adult can enjoy it too. The concept of time travel is not new or unique for fiction, but Robert's adventures make for good reading. The forays into periods of European history are interesting.
Anabelle Lucia
By reading this book, I had traveled to places together with Robert. It's really descriptive! And I love descriptive stories! Glad I picked up this book.
Valerie
Nov 02, 2009 Valerie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Ian
I liked this book better than The Number Devil.
Rachel
Reviewed for CPBR
Rich
Rich marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
Lauretta
Lauretta marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2015
Sophie
Sophie marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Britta
Britta marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Isnun Isnun
Isnun Isnun marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Beth
Beth marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2014
Jennifer Priester
Jennifer Priester marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
  • The Great Pyramid Robbery (The Seven Fabulous Wonders, #1)
  • The Weavers
  • De rode prinses
  • Lenz
  • Couples, Passersby
  • Apologie de Socrate/Criton
  • Thriving on Vague Objectives
  • A Closed Book
  • The Writing on the Wall (Do The Math, #2)
  • The Little King December
  • Michael Kohlhaas
  • Die dunkle Seite
  • Warriors of Camlann (Warriors #2)
  • Jew Süss
  • The Trouble with Tribbles
  • By Night Under the Stone Bridge
  • Otto and the Flying Twins (The Karmidee, #1)
  • Minna von Barnhelm
The Number Devil: A Mathematical Adventure Der kurze Sommer der Anarchie The Silences of Hammerstein در ستایش بی‌سوادی Europe, Europe: Forays into a Continent