Start by marking “Lost in Time” as Want to Read:
Lost in Time

Lost in Time

3.56  ·  Rating Details  ·  180 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
In this innovative time-travel tale, Enzensberger treats history with the same wit, knowledge, adn charm that he broght to mathematics in The Number Devil.

When fourteen-year-old Robert blinks, he is pulled into the place and time of whatever he happens to be looking at. A television documentary leaves him shivering in Siberia in 1956, a movie drops him into the opal mines
Published October 15th 2000 by Henry Holt and Company (first published September 26th 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Lost in Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lost in Time

Feb 10, 2008 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Lost in time is a different sort of time travel novel, indeed the German origins are quite apparent. Robert is a young hero who will appeal to both boys and girls, he moves through time, spending a total of two years in the past, divided between seven different times. His mechinism for time travel is that in times of stress when he is staring at some image he will be transported to when the image was made, thus he travels through slow increments backwards. He first travels to the 1950s in Siberi ...more
Nix
Jun 20, 2012 Nix rated it it was ok
This is one of these weird books. Historical fiction, my eye. Time travel is always a sticky topic to categorize.

But the book. The book was okay, but he could have tried for a little more emotion. As a study of math, The Number Devil worked without adding too much emotion. As a study of history, which is more nebulous and often (dare I say) boring, I think adding emotion would have induced my interest a little more.

As a result of no emotion, the two girlfriends (or, he believed they were his g
Andy Bird
This was a very disappointing book. The write-up promised an intriguing journey through time, but it just did not deliver. It was disjointed with very little integration between each 'episode'. The 'episodes' were all unbelievable in the way the lead character landed on his feet each time, despite being in some very bad situations, and spent most of the time just explaining the time period. There was also very little continuity throughout the 'episodes', all leading to very little story. I would ...more
Elisabetta
Roberto was also present in the other book of Enzensberger I read. Despite seeing it only 2 times, I feel like I know Roberto :P He is clever enough to be a 15 years old, but not too much to be unpleasant. So he finds himself thrown in the past for 7 times, and he must be brave enough to look like he is not coming from future.
A really pretty story, with a bit of history (but not too tedious!)
Marc
Oct 02, 2013 Marc rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ik begin vandaag dit boek te lezen. Het is de eerste roman van deze dichter die ik lees. Inmiddels is het klaar. Erg lezenswaardig; spijtig dat er nog wat tikfouten in de tekst staan. Lijkt tegenwoordig wel een trend, een boek uitgeven met fouten.
Vond iets van mezelf terug in het nawoord.
Graham Botha
Apr 26, 2012 Graham Botha rated it really liked it
Enzenberger wrote a delightful children's story that is well enough written that an adult can enjoy it too. The concept of time travel is not new or unique for fiction, but Robert's adventures make for good reading. The forays into periods of European history are interesting.
Anabelle Lucia
Jul 27, 2013 Anabelle Lucia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
By reading this book, I had traveled to places together with Robert. It's really descriptive! And I love descriptive stories! Glad I picked up this book.
Valerie
Nov 02, 2009 Valerie rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Ian
I liked this book better than The Number Devil.
Rachel
Mar 19, 2008 Rachel rated it liked it
Reviewed for CPBR
Mario F.
Mario F. marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2016
Angélica González
Angélica González marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2016
Christy
Christy marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
May 18, 2016
abcdefg
abcdefg marked it as to-read
May 13, 2016
Jabi
Jabi rated it really liked it
May 06, 2016
Matteo
Matteo marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Paula
Paula rated it liked it
Apr 22, 2016
Niklaus
Niklaus rated it it was ok
Mar 24, 2016
Carnac
Carnac added it
Mar 20, 2016
Giada
Giada rated it really liked it
Mar 17, 2016
Giada
Giada rated it it was amazing
Mar 17, 2016
Álvaro Merino
Álvaro Merino rated it really liked it
Feb 29, 2016
Angie
Angie rated it really liked it
Feb 28, 2016
Ana Lemes
Ana Lemes rated it really liked it
Aug 17, 2016
Pietro Sansone
Pietro Sansone rated it really liked it
Mar 15, 2016
  • Kalendergeschichten
  • 13 is the new 18 : and other things my children taught me while I was having a nervous breakdown being their mother
  • Bibelausgaben, Die Bibel nach der Übersetzung Martin Luthers, mit Apokryphen, Neue Rechtschreibung, Schwarz (#1241)
  • De rode prinses
  • A Closed Book
  • Warriors of Camlann (Warriors #2)
  • The Babylon Game (The Seven Fabulous Wonders, #2)
  • Heartsease (The Changes Trilogy, #2)
  • Thriving on Vague Objectives
  • The Little King December
  • The Weavers
  • Cold Tom
  • Le Crépuscule des dieux (Amos Daragon #3)
  • Mordshunger
  • Rewind
  • The Writing on the Wall (Do The Math, #2)
  • Otto and the Flying Twins (The Karmidee, #1)
  • Minna von Barnhelm