Start by marking “Through the Tunnel” as Want to Read:
Through the Tunnel

Through the Tunnel

Do your students enjoy a good laugh? Do they like to be scared? Or do they just like a book with a happy ending? No matter what their taste, our Creative Short Stories series has the answer.We've taken some of the world's best stories from dark, musty anthologies and brought them into the light, giving them the individual attention they deserve. Each book in the series has ...more
Published April 1st 1997 by Creative Education (first published June 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Through the Tunnel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Through the Tunnel

Matea
May 26, 2015 Matea rated it really liked it
Written by the British author and 2007 Nobel Prize winner, Doris Lessing, this rather intriguing and thought-provoking short story, originally published by The New Yorker in 1955, revolves around the English pair, mother and her son, vacationing. The exact location of the beach where the main action takes place is not in any way specified but it could be gathered from the text that it is surely set in a foreign country.

Jerry is at the beach with his mother, a widow. One day he goes swimming to
Mateo (pokemon time!) Rivera ;)
this book is a good book. although it has a very gory ending, it is good and easy to understand.
This book is about a boy named Jerry who discovers a tunnel underwater. He tries over and over and over again attempting to get in the tunnel and through it. will he succeed? (SPOILER:yes)
Andrew Childers
Aug 25, 2015 Andrew Childers rated it it was amazing
This book, or rather short story, stays on the beach; the boy, Jerry, ever seeking to be more manly keeps close enough to his mom so that she's still within sight. His mom tries to let him grow up some, but Jerry wants to do what the older boys do. I first read this story during my creative writing class (OCCC); my professor cut it up in pieces. Each student read a piece without the context; each piece was solid in itself. Together, the pieces of the story stand tall. I suggest reading it. A sim ...more
Emily Logue
Nov 15, 2011 Emily Logue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lucy Hutchinson
Jul 22, 2015 Lucy Hutchinson rated it it was amazing
This story was just perfect. I felt completely immersed (pun intended) in this young boys adventure. I think it really sums up our struggle as children to push for the goals in out sights, and not to give up regardless of the obstacles we face.
I felt so linked to the character that I actually held my breath whilst reading.
There was just the right amount of excitement and danger, and such beautiful prose. I really deserves an extra star from me.
Jul 22, 2016 Sarah rated it liked it
Out of the series of short stories I have been reading recently this one was one of the more promising, however I still felt that it lacked excitement but instead ended in a rather generic and predictable way
storystereo
I don't want to say the write was bad, because it wasn't. I liked the plotline, as I thought it was decent.

I am rating it so low because for me, it was a struggle and displeasure to read. I just couldn't get into it, and it felt like it was 'jagged' as I read it.
Grace Austin
Jun 11, 2014 Grace Austin rated it really liked it
An easy to understand and inviting piece.
Rick Wilcox
May 26, 2014 Rick Wilcox rated it it was ok
Good material for a young reader, age 11 or so.
Casimir W.
Jan 15, 2015 Casimir W. rated it really liked it
suprising
Dakota Tutor
May 26, 2013 Dakota Tutor rated it really liked it
I had to read this in my English II class, and I really liked it. My favourite kind of literature is that coming-of-age kind of story, because with so many /kids/ out there, all their stories are really unique. This is is no exception. It has inner struggle, good imagery, and a really good feel overall.
Joao Miguel
May 03, 2016 Joao Miguel rated it liked it
This short story is especially interesting because of it's thematic ideas and the story it is trying to tell. These include growing out of childhood and entering manhood and preserverence to name a couple.
Diana Bautista
Sep 22, 2016 Diana Bautista rated it liked it
This was a WEIRD story, it has a confuse metaphor between the setting and the trials of life.
I kinda liked it, but I do not recommend it.
Corinne
Dec 18, 2013 Corinne rated it liked it
I read this for my English class. This story was wierd, and I didn't like it very much. It was okay, but definitely not my favorite
Ally
Mar 13, 2012 Ally rated it liked it
My 6th Grade Junior Great Books group like this one.
Sherif
Oct 26, 2010 Sherif rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Nice Story
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2016
Rese Duck
Rese Duck marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2016
Amanda
Amanda is currently reading it
Sep 13, 2016
Rachel Rothstein
Rachel Rothstein is currently reading it
Sep 10, 2016
Ana
Ana rated it liked it
Sep 07, 2016
Audrey
Audrey rated it it was ok
Sep 07, 2016
Maria
Maria rated it liked it
Aug 24, 2016
Amir Mustafa
Amir Mustafa is currently reading it
Aug 20, 2016
Mohamed Salam
Mohamed Salam marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2016
Sidharth Vardhan
Sidharth Vardhan marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2016
Sara Gunneriusson
Sara Gunneriusson rated it really liked it
Jul 30, 2016
Juliana
Juliana rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2016
  • An Art of Living
  • A Thousand and One Afternoons in Chicago
  • The Last Summer
  • The Gathering Night
Both of her parents were British: her father, who had been crippled in World War I, was a clerk in the Imperial Bank of Persia; her mother had been a nurse. In 1925, lured by the promise of getting rich through maize farming, the family moved to the British colony in Southern Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe). Like other women writers from southern African who did not graduate from high school (such as Oliv ...more
More about Doris Lessing...