Start by marking “Mexican Pulp Art” as Want to Read:
Mexican Pulp Art

Mexican Pulp Art

4.09  ·  Rating Details  ·  33 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
The lurid cover art of Mexican pulp novels are a pop culture revelation. Never before seen in an English- or even Spanish-language collection are the often surreal and psychedelic images of extraterrestrials, robots, dinosaurs, dastardly killers, Zorro, Santo, and many other icons from stories involving suspense, mystery, romance, and the supernatural.

Collected by Minneapo
Published May 1st 2007 by Feral House (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Mexican Pulp Art, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mexican Pulp Art

Andy
If these Mexican pulp mag artists made a decent living then your parents are wasting their hard-earned money putting you through art school, because this is some of the worst art I've ever seen.
From a technical standpoint these artists couldn't paint a barn door but the images are naive cum chilling at best. Poor perspective, crude figures, cracked oils, awful color composition, I loved every shitty page of this book. Bless you, Feral House!
Deadpulp
Feb 11, 2008 Deadpulp rated it liked it
Recommends it for: people who like incredibly strange horror art
Recommended to Deadpulp by: Aubrey!
Insane graphics all around. Publisher used the original artwork from the artists, this book would have been WAY better if they had used the original paperback covers with the text showing. THey should do a second volume.
Dora
Aug 06, 2014 Dora rated it really liked it
EDITED 8/7/14 - new content below the break.

This book is packed with gorgeous, goofy art; the closest analogue I can think of in American pulp is the old EC comics covers. Many of the pieces in here blow those covers away.

Although the editors pulled the art without the text (so you don't really get a feel for how the two worked together) and there's very little information about the individual books, you'll still get a ton of enjoyment out of this book. And if you're like me, you'll also come
Bill
Mar 09, 2014 Bill rated it it was amazing
I would have liked this book more if there had been more information: about the stories, about the artists, anything. But given that I just gave this 5 stars, I don't know how seriously you should take my opinion. All I know is that if I saw one of these crude, lurid paintings on a cover of a book, I would buy it, no questions asked. Which is more or less how I ended up with this book in the first place.
Felipe Moreno Guajardo
No hay una exhaustiva referencia y documentación al respecto, pero si lo suficiente para hacerse una idea de ese momento en Méjico. Me parece un trabajo documentado muy interesante, hay una gran muestra de trabajos solo del arte sin ser premaquetado, imágenes claras, buena calidad de impresión.
Daniel
Sep 10, 2008 Daniel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
do you like the covers of the (relatively) newly released james bond series by ian fleming? think of those covers painted by untrained artists with five times the amount of creativity and ten times the amount of reefer. i love this book and all its beautiful awkwardnessesssss.
N
N marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
Shelley Whiting
Shelley Whiting rated it liked it
Apr 17, 2016
Holi Bats
Holi Bats marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2016
John
John rated it really liked it
Feb 19, 2016
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Nathaniel
Nathaniel rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2016
Osiris Oliphant
Osiris Oliphant rated it really liked it
Mar 22, 2016
Natalie
Natalie rated it it was amazing
Nov 08, 2015
Torkofsky
Torkofsky marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2015
Jihaan Risviani t
Jihaan Risviani t marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2015
Richard
Richard rated it it was amazing
Oct 09, 2015
Maxi
Maxi rated it really liked it
Mar 08, 2016
Steven Svymbersky
Steven Svymbersky rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2015
Leigh
Leigh marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2015
Simon
Simon marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
Eliza Childress
Eliza Childress marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2015
Soung Ah
Soung Ah marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2015
John
John rated it liked it
Feb 28, 2015
Lindsay
Lindsay rated it really liked it
Feb 24, 2015
Neil
Neil rated it it was amazing
Feb 16, 2015
Heath
Heath rated it really liked it
Jul 03, 2014
Feral House
Feral House rated it it was amazing
Jun 10, 2014
Lily
Lily marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014