Start by marking “The Religious Body (Inspector Sloan #1)” as Want to Read:
The Religious Body (Inspector Sloan #1)

The Religious Body (Inspector Sloan #1)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  732 ratings  ·  41 reviews
"Sister Anne," said the Mother Superior unperturbed, "died on Wednesday evening sometime after supper, probably in the corridor leading from the Great Hall to the kitchens. Her body was put into the broom cupboard and later thrown down the cellar steps. "Who would want to kill a cloistered num? But, astonishingly, someone had. It was as much of a surprise to the sisters of ...more
Published 1966 by Bantam Books

To ask other readers questions about The Religious Body, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Religious Body

An Odd1
Inspector Sloan, chief detective in Banbury visits nearby Cullingoak Convent with DC Crosby, after Sister Anne is bashed on the head, by smooth blunt object as yet unfound, and dumped down cellar stairs. Pathologist Dr Dabbe places the murder soon after supper, yet someone took her place at evening service. Anne's cousin Harold will not say why he came to see her.

Like a real investigator, we have no idea what red herrings will turn out to be most important. Regulations about raising a private c
Sandra Jones
When the body of a murdered nun is discovered at the Convent of St. Anselm in the village of Cullingoak, Inspector C.D. Sloan of the Calleshire C.I.D. finds himself with fifty suspects—all black-habited nuns who at first look exactly alike to him. It’s the sardonic Sloan’s first venture inside convent walls and, for most of the nuns, their first encounter with the police. Before the killer is unmasked, both the police and the nuns will come to learn a great deal about each other.

Another totally
Lori Henrich
This is the first novel in the Detective Inspector C.D. Sloan series. In this first installment Sloan is called out to a Convent to check out a suspicious death of one of the nuns. Where everyone dresses the same it would be hard to notice an imposter among them. Is that what happened? Did a stranger enter the community of nuns and commit this terrible crime? Was it one of the other sisters?

Sloan is on the trail, but it is not an easy task. Who killed Sister Anne?

I really liked this book and lo
Rebecca
In 1966, a convent located in a former country manor in a small English town is a busy place, with fifty sisters all living their lives in a quietly rigorous and unchanging pattern. That is, until Sister Ann is found at the bottom of the cellar steps, with her skull bashed in. Inspector Sloan investigates, trying to understand the workings of the convent (and despairing that the sisters are deliberately the most unobservant people ever), as well as the agricultural college next door, whose Guy F ...more
Abbey
Jan 31, 2012 Abbey rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: traditional British mysteries
BOTTOM LINE: Smooth, well-plotted "rural Brit traditional mystery", with a goodly dollop of tongue-in-cheek; first in a long series, and I'm glad there's more to read - while there's nothing spectacular in her first novel, it was entertaining and holds promise of better to come.

Nun in a convent gets herself murdered and the motives behind the death are somewhat odd (for a nun). A nice, laid-back police inspector (whose boss is a bit of a pain) investigates, along with a sargent who appears to b
Daniel
The last thing you would expect to find in a convent is a murdered nun. But there was poor Sister Anne, murdered, stashed in a broom closet, and then perfunctorily thrown down a flight of stairs into the cellar. The job of solving the crime goes to Inspector C.D. Sloan of the Criminal Investigation Department of the Berebury Division of the Calleshire Constabulary, who makes his first appearance here, in the first published mystery novel (1966) of Catherine Aird (the pseudonym of Kinn Hamilton M ...more
Bev Hankins
Just recently I read Past Tense, the most current in Catherine Aird's Inspector Sloan series. When I was hunting around for more books to read for the Birth Year Challenge: Time Machine Version, I was interested to see that the very first Sloan book, The Religious Body, was published in my target year: 1966. It's been a long time since I read Sloan's initial outing and it was very nice to go back and remind myself where it all began.

Our first look at Inspector C. D. Sloan is of a man perplexed.
Ivonne Rovira
You would think a 1966 novel on murder committed at a Roman Catholic convent in the English countryside would be dated. Not so! You'll find the mystery of the murder of Sister Anne to be cleverly plotted -- as is the novel. You'll grow to love Detective Inspector Sloan, despite his impatience and gruff exterior, and sympathize with the dim-witted but long-suffering Sergeant Crosby.

I never guessed who the murderer was. I also loved the detail of life in a pre-Vatican II convent, which was much le
Sarah Adamson
This is a gentle old style mystery with some nice quirks and twists. This book is the first by the author and based in a convent where a nun is found murdered. A really interesting basic exploration of the place of converts in the modern era (1960s) and a nice twisty murder tale.
Frank
Listened to the audiobook to the end. A murder in a cloister story. It was just too slow. At least there was a policewoman character who speaks badly of the nuns' style of life.

I might go for another Chief Inspector Sloane if the library has it.
Kathleen Hagen
The Religious Body, by Catherine Aird. B-plus. Purchased through Audio Editions.
This is the first CID Inspector Sloan mystery, set in England in the 1960’s. Sloan is called to a convent where a nun lies dead at the bottom of the cellar stairs. At first it looks like an accident, but soon it becomes clear it is murder. Through painstaking police work, Sloan is able to track down the killer and determine the motive. This book is amusing in the juxtaposition of the police with the nuns and Mother S
Cindy
A lovely little British mystery. Nothing too exciting (to keep you awake), but enough mystery to keep you reading.
Kathy H
Aird's first mystery novel from 1966. The mystery is solid enough but there is a great deal of silly, pointless dialogue; I expect some of it was intended to lend a humorous note. I'll read the next few books in the Sloan series before bestowing any further judgement.
Cindy
This was a page turner as I had pretty much decided who had done it about half way through and, of coarse, was WRONG! I enjoy this author's style and the inspector.
Zac
Fairly clever mystery plot with a dry-witted investigator. I dunno, maybe there's more to it I'm not getting due to style and culture. There are details of convent life which may be interesting to some readers, and reminded me of a Haddam novel pondering how convent life changed after Vatican II.

I checked out Catherine Aird because of a funny quote someone put up ("If you won't be a good example, you'll have to be a horrible warning." --not in this one). I'll probably check out more of her books
henrys-axe
A quick, easy read with well developed plot and characters. Ms. Aird truly captures the life and routine of a 1960s mostly cloistered religious community of women.
Julie
I enjoyed the gentle pace and the narrator's soothing voice. There was tongue-in-cheek humor also, which is always a treat.
Susan
This book reminded me of those golden-age mysteries. I really enjoyed reading this story, I found the life of a nun fascinating, though a bit confusing at times, and the detective shrewd and insightful.

A pleasant way to spend reading time. Will look for the next in the series.
Kyrie
It was interesting for the insights into religious life. The rest wasn't as good, but it was short.

I didn't understand or care very much about Inspector Sloan or his fellow officers.

The reason for the murder was just off, in my opinion.
Barbra
This is the first in the series of mysteries introducing Inspector Sloan. Will work my way through the series.

Back Cover Blurb:
A nun is murdered in the local convent - Inspector Sloan has never been in a convent and finds the rules quite different.
Judith
Interesting setting, but for someone who likes to try to identify the guilty party based upon the clues presented, the resolution was highly unsatisfactory. I'll try another though--I don't like to base my opinion of a series on the first book.
Ruth Ferguson
OK that's it have to stop choosing books just because they are available on the audio network. It was passable but I had to listen to the ending again because 6 hours later I could not remember it was just so bland.
Julie
I got this book from Search Ohio but I have no idea what inspired me to order it. Maybe a patron recommended it? Anyway, a fun little mystery but I'm not sure I feel compelled to get more by this author.
Hoyadaisy
Loved it. 1960s police procedural with likeable police. Naive tone, clever puzzle. British, events take place in a convent. What's not to love?
Mary Robinson
Tried this to see if was a good Agatha Christie-type cozy mystery and found that it was not very interesting. Maybe better as series progressed.
Stephen Harvey
This is one of the best detective stories of this type. This no frivolous accolade. I have lots and lots of this style of English detective novel
Marie
Excellent plotting, intricate story without too many subplots, make this the beginning of a beautiful relationship for me and this series!
Tory Wagner
A great story - very British and also a religious bent i.e. it takes place in a convent. Enjoyed the characters and the mystery.
Pat
This was the first Aird novel that I read and it got me hooked on her C.D. Sloan series. Wonderful cozies with sly humor.
Julie (jjmachshev)
Cozy murder mystery. My first by Ms. Aird. Am looking forward to the next in this series...
  • Murder at the Old Vicarage (Lloyd & Hill, #2)
  • Grey Mask (Miss Silver, #1)
  • The Affair of the Blood-Stained Egg Cosy (Burford Family Mysteries, #1)
  • Tether's End (Albert Campion Mystery, #16)
  • The Killings At Badger's Drift (Chief Inspector Barnaby, #1)
  • The False Inspector Dew
  • The Marx Sisters (Brock & Kolla, #1)
  • An English Murder
  • Scales of Justice (Roderick Alleyn, #18)
  • Green for Danger
  • The Case of the Gilded Fly (Gervase Fen, #1)
  • Fear in the Sunlight (Josephine Tey, #4)
  • Death at the President's Lodging (Sir John Appleby, #1)
  • Cambridge Blue (DC Gary Goodhew Mystery #1)
  • The Cold Light of Mourning (A Penny Brannigan Mystery #1)
  • Trent's Last Case
92062
Catherine Aird (born 1930) is the pseudonym of author Kinn Hamilton McIntosh. She was born in Huddersfield, Yorkshire, and is the author of more than twenty crime fiction novels and story collections. Her writings are similar to those of Vivien Armstrong, M C Beaton and Pauline Bell.

Aird is creator of the Sloan and Crosby novels, set in the CID department of the fictional Berebury, West Calleshire
More about Catherine Aird...
Henrietta Who? (Inspector Sloan #2) A Most Contagious Game The Stately Home Murder (Inspector Sloan #3) A Late Phoenix (Inspector Sloan #4) Past Tense  (Inspector Sloan #23)