Start by marking “Satyajit Ray: The Inner Eye” as Want to Read:
Satyajit Ray: The Inner Eye

Satyajit Ray: The Inner Eye

4.23  ·  Rating Details  ·  119 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Satyjit Ray's films include the Apu Trilogy, The Music Room, Charulata, Days and Nights in the Forest, The Chess Players, and The Stranger. He also made comedies, musical fantasies, detective films, and documentaries. He was an exceptionally versatile artist who won almost every major prize in cinema, including a lifetime achievement Oscar in 1992. This is the best-known b
Published February 21st 2004 by I. B. Tauris (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Satyajit Ray, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Satyajit Ray

Hitchcock by François TruffautSculpting in Time by Andrei TarkovskyNotes on the Cinematographer by Robert BressonThe Magic Lantern by Ingmar BergmanMy Autobiography by Charlie Chaplin
Best Books about The History of World Cinema
14th out of 192 books — 48 voters
Easy Riders, Raging Bulls by Peter BiskindHitchcock by François TruffautPictures at a Revolution by Mark  HarrisThe Great Movies by Roger EbertAdventures in the Screen Trade by William Goldman
Books ABOUT Movies
225th out of 425 books — 166 voters

More lists with this book...

Nandakishore Varma
Jun 29, 2015 Nandakishore Varma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: film-theory
Satyajit Ray, along with Ingmar Bergman, was my first taste of serious cinema. They taught me that movies not only entertain, but also enchant and edify.

This book is a detailed exploration of Ray and his work - a fantastic journey into the mind of an auteur. Most of his movies are discussed in detail, embellished with beautiful photographs and interviews with the great film-maker himself.

A must-read book for any movie lover.

Phillip Kay
Jan 02, 2013 Phillip Kay rated it it was amazing
The Inner Eye by Andrew Robinson, (I.B.Tauris 2004) is an attempt to deal with an unusual problem: a writer, composer, artist and film maker, of world stature, who created in a relatively obscure language and whose works risk misrepresentation and oblivion without some sort of interpreter, both of the works and the culture which gave them birth. Before looking at the book we have to look a little at the problem.

Satyajit Ray is a name to mention when compiling lists of great film directors, but w
ExistenGuy
Aug 22, 2008 ExistenGuy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Cinephiles
Shelves: non-fiction
An excellent overview of the life and films of the great Indian filmmaker Satyajit Ray. I feel that Andrew Robinson has done a marvelous job in capturing the ethos and nuances of Ray's films. The book begins by covering Ray's early life and education and then delves quickly into a film-by-film analysis, complete with interesting backgrounds notes, in the subsequent chapters.

In the later chapters, Robinson goes into Ray's work as an illustrator and writer and expounds on his view of cinema in ge
Arjun Dirghangi
Sep 22, 2012 Arjun Dirghangi rated it it was amazing
The definitive book on Ray and his oeuvre. The author is privy to truly amazing access which not simply informs, but illuminates, the viewing of Ray's films. In portions, its chapters are more Cliffs-Note sketches than insightful (a perhaps necessary casualty of its completist aims), in contrast to the depth displayed particularly regarding his 'Apu Trilogy.'

Nevertheless, the sections on Ray's formative years in Santiniketan and Ray's creative familial inheritance; the thrilling backstory to 'Pa
Ryan
Jul 20, 2015 Ryan rated it really liked it
I've been working my way through the Ray films released thus far on Hulu's Criterion channel and this book provides some good context for those like me who are more familiar with Hindi cinema and don't pick up up on all of the nuances of Bengali society, politics and literature in Ray's films.
Sambasivan
Dec 23, 2015 Sambasivan rated it it was amazing
One of the best biographies that I ever read. Concentrates on the movies of Ray and less on his personal life. Such a prolific creator has not been suitably recognised till now. I intend watching all his movies next year.
Roniq
Mar 21, 2008 Roniq marked it as to-read
I own the Apu trilogy and love the cinematography and the characters. I'm thrilled to learn of a biography and that he has several other films for me to check out.
Sandipan
A tremendous and fabulous introspection about Satyajit Ray,s thought
Habaneroman
Habaneroman rated it it was amazing
May 24, 2016
Debaleena
Debaleena marked it as to-read
May 15, 2016
Kirmser
Kirmser marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Marios
Marios marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Shourabh Shekhar
Shourabh Shekhar marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Debajyoti
Debajyoti rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2016
Akshay
Akshay rated it it was amazing
Apr 15, 2016
Satya
Satya marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016
Keerthi
Keerthi marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016
Lalitha D'Souza
Lalitha D'Souza marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2016
Sambit Basu
Sambit Basu rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2016
Ashish
Ashish marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2016
rêveur d'art
rêveur d'art marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2016
Shreya
Shreya rated it it was amazing
Mar 30, 2016
Sayak Kolay
Sayak Kolay rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2016
Sanchita
Sanchita marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2016
Sanchita Mondal
Sanchita Mondal marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2016
Bakunin
Bakunin marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2016
Arghya Mondal
Arghya Mondal marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2016
Swaipayan Dutta
Swaipayan Dutta marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2016
Saadat
Saadat marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2016
Alina
Alina marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2016
  • The Major Film Theories: An Introduction
  • Documentary: A History of the Non-Fiction Film
  • The Dark Side Of The Screen: Film Noir
  • Cronenberg on Cronenberg
Librarian Note: There is more than one author by this name in the Goodreads data base.

W. Andrew Robinson is a British author and former newspaper editor.

Andrew Robinson was educated at the Dragon School, Eton College where he was a King's Scholar, University College, Oxford where he read Chemistry and finally the School of Oriental and African Studies in London. He is the son of Neville Robinson,
More about Andrew Robinson...