Start by marking “Hi, Harry!” as Want to Read:
Hi, Harry!

Hi, Harry!

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  78 ratings  ·  20 reviews
The author-illustrator team who brought us the best-selling LITTLE BEAR series offers a reassuring reminder that there’s an ideal friend for everyone, no matter what your style.

I wish I had someone to play with, thought Harry.
Someone not quick who has time to play with a tortoise.

No question, Harry Tortoise is slow. He’s very, very, very slow. And everyone is so fast. If...more
Paperback
Published January 5th 2004 by Walker Books Ltd (first published April 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Hi, Harry!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hi, Harry!

Edward Creter
Harry is a turtle who needs friends to play with. He has asked others as an invite for fun and frolic, but they seem too busy or too fast in their hectic schedule to take a hint. Then a snail moves S L O W L Y with Harry and they are the ones with much to talk about and have fun with each other. Sometimes we need to slow down quite a bit to enjoy life with people who are slower. Slow people can show you how. Have fun with this book.
Rosa Cline
I really enjoyed reading this to my 2 year old granddaughter the story is basic and repetitive so beginning readers would enjoy it and not be to hard for them to read. My grandbaby loved the illustrations. I enjoyed the storyline...as though it was simple it taught that although you maybe a bit different from others and others may not want to include you keep true to yourself and you'll find a good friend.
Lindsay
I will be using this story for the fourth and final summer session of Backyard Bookworms, a preschool story time program, at the MJC Great Valley Museum. The program is turtle and tortoise-themed, and I will be sharing the differences between the two. The children will also get to see a real turtle and a real tortoise. I will also be covering the concepts of fast and slow.

Hi, Harry! is a cute twist on the "tortoise and the hare" story. In this story, Harry the Tortoise wants to play with a frie...more
Mary
Friends come in all shapes and sizes--it is always so nice to find one who understands you for you! I liked that this story focused on the friendship of two creatures who tend to be overlooked because of their slowness. The pictures are nice and the characters are mostly likable. Good for elementary school kids who are learning about friendship.
Cheryl
Dec 06, 2008 Cheryl rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: PreK-K
This is one of the sweetest books about trying to make friends. Peppered with subtle humor, its gentle sadness reaches and invokes empathy among young listeners toward our slow tortoise who is having trouble finding someone to slow down to befriend him.
Stephani Snow
Harry is a slow turtle who tries to make friends but everyone is just to fast for him. He tries a rabbit, a badger, and a mouse. Finally a snail finds him and they are great friends who play games like slow races.

Picture Book
Kris
Harry is soooo slow, and Rabbit, Badger, and Mouse just have no time to talk to him. But Harry is able to enjoy the world around him, and he eventually finds just the right friend who enjoys taking it slow, too.
Paula
A very sweet story that shows it is ok to be slow and that there is always a friend out there who will share things in common with you. My toddler loves this story and I enjoy reading it again and again.
Rachel
We could learn a lesson from a slow moving turtle. Sometimes we need to get off the fast lane of life and just enjoy the slow lane with a good friend.
Taylor Brune
This was a cute book that would be great for PK and K students. The story is about a tortoise meeting news friends. The illustrations were very good.
Jennifer Kaap
Very sweet. Could work for friendship, getting-to-know-you, or turtle storytime themes.
Sharper1
I love this one! Everybody's too fast for poor Harry, but he finally finds a friend.
pati
A tortoise tries to find someone who will play with him at his own speed.
April
One of the best turtle books of all time! This one is a great read aloud.
Jen
you can do this in a slow Harry voice. It;s great.
Tanya W
Cute illustrations, good book with a good message.
Tania
kindy kids enjoyed this - and i enjoyed reading to them
Lesley
Cute book, using animals for friendship.
Catherine Clancy
A sweet story about friendship
Susan
Just so sweet. Great for slow stories.
Ann Su
Ann Su added it
Sep 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »

Also writes under the pen name Catherine Sefton

Martin Waddell is the author of more than one hundred books for young readers.
More about Martin Waddell...
Owl Babies Can't You Sleep, Little Bear? Farmer Duck Room for a Little One: A Christmas Tale The Super Hungry Dinosaur