Start by marking “Hi, Harry!” as Want to Read:
Hi, Harry!

Hi, Harry!

The author-illustrator team who brought us the best-selling LITTLE BEAR series offers a reassuring reminder that there’s an ideal friend for everyone, no matter what your style.

I wish I had someone to play with, thought Harry.
Someone not quick who has time to play with a tortoise.

No question, Harry Tortoise is slow. He’s very, very, very slow. And everyone is so fast. If
Paperback
Published January 5th 2004 by Walker Books Ltd (first published April 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Hi, Harry!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hi, Harry!

Lindsay
I will be using this story for the fourth and final summer session of Backyard Bookworms, a preschool story time program, at the MJC Great Valley Museum. The program is turtle and tortoise-themed, and I will be sharing the differences between the two. The children will also get to see a real turtle and a real tortoise. I will also be covering the concepts of fast and slow.

Hi, Harry! is a cute twist on the "tortoise and the hare" story. In this story, Harry the Tortoise wants to play with a frie
Rosa Cline
Jun 17, 2014 Rosa Cline rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
I really enjoyed reading this to my 2 year old granddaughter the story is basic and repetitive so beginning readers would enjoy it and not be to hard for them to read. My grandbaby loved the illustrations. I enjoyed the storyline...as though it was simple it taught that although you maybe a bit different from others and others may not want to include you keep true to yourself and you'll find a good friend.
Kristen
Apr 20, 2010 Kristen rated it really liked it
Harry is soooo slow, and Rabbit, Badger, and Mouse just have no time to talk to him. But Harry is able to enjoy the world around him, and he eventually finds just the right friend who enjoys taking it slow, too.
Paula
Jul 10, 2013 Paula rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very sweet story that shows it is ok to be slow and that there is always a friend out there who will share things in common with you. My toddler loves this story and I enjoy reading it again and again.
Sep 11, 2012 Jennifer rated it liked it
Very sweet. Could work for friendship, getting-to-know-you, or turtle storytime themes.
Sharper1
Mar 08, 2012 Sharper1 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: storytime
I love this one! Everybody's too fast for poor Harry, but he finally finds a friend.
Edward Creter
Harry is a turtle who needs friends to play with. He has asked others as an invite for fun and frolic, but they seem too busy or too fast in their hectic schedule to take a hint. Then a snail moves S L O W L Y with Harry and they are the ones with much to talk about and have fun with each other. Sometimes we need to slow down quite a bit to enjoy life with people who are slower. Slow people can show you how. Have fun with this book.
Mary
Friends come in all shapes and sizes--it is always so nice to find one who understands you for you! I liked that this story focused on the friendship of two creatures who tend to be overlooked because of their slowness. The pictures are nice and the characters are mostly likable. Good for elementary school kids who are learning about friendship.
Cheryl
Dec 06, 2008 Cheryl rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: PreK-K
This is one of the sweetest books about trying to make friends. Peppered with subtle humor, its gentle sadness reaches and invokes empathy among young listeners toward our slow tortoise who is having trouble finding someone to slow down to befriend him.
Stephani Snow
Aug 13, 2009 Stephani Snow rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
Harry is a slow turtle who tries to make friends but everyone is just to fast for him. He tries a rabbit, a badger, and a mouse. Finally a snail finds him and they are great friends who play games like slow races.

Picture Book
Taylor Brune
This was a cute book that would be great for PK and K students. The story is about a tortoise meeting news friends. The illustrations were very good.
Catherine Clancy
Jan 09, 2013 Catherine Clancy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
A sweet story about friendship
Rachel
Mar 28, 2008 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We could learn a lesson from a slow moving turtle. Sometimes we need to get off the fast lane of life and just enjoy the slow lane with a good friend.
Jen
Apr 26, 2013 Jen rated it really liked it
Shelves: pb, storytime
you can do this in a slow Harry voice. It;s great.
pati
A tortoise tries to find someone who will play with him at his own speed.
Susan
Mar 11, 2009 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Just so sweet. Great for slow stories.
Teri
Mar 15, 2011 Teri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very fun
April
Apr 02, 2009 April rated it it was amazing
One of the best turtle books of all time! This one is a great read aloud.
Tanya W
Apr 07, 2011 Tanya W rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
Cute illustrations, good book with a good message.
Lesley Looper
Oct 20, 2012 Lesley Looper rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-books, 2012
Cute book, using animals for friendship.
Tania
May 08, 2010 Tania rated it really liked it
kindy kids enjoyed this - and i enjoyed reading to them
Samantha Westall
Sep 08, 2016 Samantha Westall rated it it was ok
All about a tortoise that is looking for a friend to play with and finally finds one.
Christy
Christy rated it really liked it
Nov 21, 2015
Susan
Susan rated it really liked it
Apr 28, 2015
Rachel
Rachel rated it it was amazing
Jul 06, 2011
Stephen Houda
Stephen Houda rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2013
Jenny
Jenny rated it it was amazing
May 24, 2012
Sarah E.
Sarah E. rated it it was amazing
Jun 28, 2014
Randi
Randi rated it really liked it
Dec 17, 2016
Jenna Friebel
Jenna Friebel rated it really liked it
Jun 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »

Also writes under the pen name Catherine Sefton

Martin Waddell is the author of more than one hundred books for young readers.

Awards: Hans Christian Andersen Award for Writing (2004).
More about Martin Waddell...