Start by marking “Hi, Pizza Man!” as Want to Read:
Hi, Pizza Man!

Hi, Pizza Man!

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  386 ratings  ·  54 reviews
It all begins with a simple question posed by a patient mother when her impatient toddler shouts, 'I'm hungry!' 'What will you say when the doorbell rings and we open the door?' asks Mom. 'Hi, Pizza Man!' replies the thoughtful child. . . .(But) what if it's a pizza woman?. . . a pizza kitty?. . . a pizza duck?. . . The book has a wonderfully satisfying roundness that come ...more
Published September 1st 1998 by Orchard Books (NY) (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Hi, Pizza Man!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hi, Pizza Man!

Salima Sikandar
This book is very creative for the children. This book can be use for so many purposes that is for imagination, for different professions and for the animals sound as well. The pictures are so bright and very colorful so the children can keep an interest.

About the Author:
This book is written by Virginia Walter.She is a professor and chair at the Department of Information Studies in the Graduate School of Education and Information Studies at the University of California, Los Angeles. Her researc
Bunnyjadwiga
This cute picture book captures a common modern (suburban/urban) childhood experience: waiting for the pizza to come and greeting the pizza delivery guy... and turns it into an imaginative exercise.
As the little girl frets, her mom prompts for what she will say when the pizza arrives-- if the pizza is delivered by a woman, a dog, a cat, a duck, a cow, etc. etc. The next spread shows the putative deliverer in elaborate, amusing accessories (the duck wears a turban headpad and balances the pizza o
Miss Meg
What's better than having pizza delivered for dinner? Having it delivered by a snake or a dinosaur! A clever mother keeps her hungry daughter entertained while they wait for the pizza man. Quack, quack, pizza duck!
Lisa Mcbroom
Delightful picture book about a family that is waiting for a pizza. The little child asks will it be a pizza man or woman pizza cat etc.... Delightfully illustrated!
Tiffany Wideman
Hi Pizza Man is a book about a girl named Vivian is waiting for her pizza getting hungrier hungrier. This book shows imagination at it's best. Vivian and her mother imagines the many different ways that the pizza man will come to door as. I would use this book in my classroom to teach repetition. The main line repeated is, "What if..."
Katie
Great for toddler storytime!
Ina
I love this simple, funny, and oh so imaginative book based on a game the author would play with her granddaughter while waiting for dinner to arrive. This book starts out innocently asking what the little girl will say to the pizza man when the door bell rings (Hi, Pizza Man!) and then the question changes to, but what if it is a pizza lady? dog? dinosaur? The kids in my audience loved this book, and happily helped make the appropriate animal noises and giggled at the wonderful illustrations.
Maggie KutsBorg
I predict great success for this book at toddler time. (May 29 2014)

I was right. I added a "ding dong" sound effect on the page turns (which the kids caught on to and joined in with) and we made all the animal sounds along with each character. Very successful! (July 31 2014)

Again - I added the ding-dong and the kids made noises and everyone was happy forever. They even applauded this book. A true all-timer! (Oct 30, 2014)
Emily
This silly book associates animal sounds with a picture of that animal. While a girl is waiting for her pizza to be delivered she wonders who will be delivering it. Of course, as first she thinks of a pizza man or woman but then her imagination takes over and she starts to wonder what she would say if her pizza was delivered by a duck, or a dog, or a snake. Very good for sound association.
Asho
We had fun with this one. It talks through various hypothetical pizza deliverers, which just get more and more absurd as the book goes on: pizza cat, pizza dog, pizza snake, pizza dinosaur...Lots of opportunities for animal sounds and lots of repetition make this a fun read-aloud, and I thought the illustrations were really cute. The snake wearing three bow ties on his "neck" was my favorite.
Sandi
Jan 24, 2012 Sandi rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Pre-K and up. :)
"Hi, Pizza Man!" is fun from start to finish! Ordered pizza for dinner and can't wait for it to get there? Well, one could pass the time by asking what would you say if it was a pizza kitty or a pizza puppy who brought your meal? This fun book is silly, simple fun and there are endless variations you and/or your little one could add to the game. :)
Rebecca
Jan 13, 2009 Rebecca rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone with kidlets
A cute read -- it begins with a little girl who is hungry ... and her momma who is asking fanciful questions to distract her (what parent doesn't get THAT?). Will it really be a pizza man who delivers their pie? Or a pizza woman? A pizza kitty? A pizza snake? You get the idea. But it's fun to read with my 2-year-old, because it involves animal sounds.
Jessica
This book was actually written by my children's literature professor, who's quite well known in teh field. The story is great and simple, plus it's interactive for the kids. Good for readalouds, storytimes, etc. But the illustrations are kind of one-dimensional. There's no movement, no emotion in the characters.

Ages 2-4, or even younger.
Tanajia
This story is very creative. I love how the let her imagination run wild. Very useful when teaching community helpers and jobs that people have.The text is very simple and easy to follow.

Learning experience: I would have the children create their own experience on when they waited for the pizza man to come
Henny
I didn't hear of this book till this year and it was only because my co-worker was looking all over for a place to buy it for the classroom. Since its out of print its almost impossible to find but I ended up finding one for her and it was the best thing. My preschool class LOVES this book.
Chris C
The kids at Storytime loved this book. Our book is getting old, a lot of rips, chewed binding, etc. I had to laugh at some of the weird pictures. Why does the duck have a turban and a pair of earrings on? They should release it again, and change some of the illustrations.
Aprils
This book is a big hit at our library storytime -- so much so that the book started to look worn-out. We made color copies of the pages and turned it into a flannelgraph to make it more interactive. This book makes me laugh. It's simple and funny.
Danie P.
I love love love this book. A young girl learns to say Hello to the Pizza Man. But what if a cow delivers the pizza, then what? You say Mooo Moo Cow. This story goes through different animals until finally the pizza is delievered.
Anna
Toddlers will enjoy predicting how the main character's mom would greet various kinds of animals, if they were to deliver a pizza. Illustrations obviously done by someone with talent and they are humorous/cute, but are somewhat wooden.
Julia
One of my all-time favorites for reading aloud. It's even better when you prompt the kids to say the animal sound for each possible pizza delivery person/animal. "Meow meow pizza kitty" and "Roar pizza dinosaur"!
Samantha
Read this in storytime this morning and was reminded just how great this book is. Readers greet the different pizza delivery men, women, and animals with their own unique message. Great read aloud. PreK-2
Tricia
so fun and imaginative. girl is waiting for the pizza to arrive and her mother sparks her to imagine what she would say if a pizza dog arrives...or a pizza dinosaur. great readaloud.
Shannon Morrison
May 29, 2007 Shannon Morrison rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents of preschoolers
One of Audrey's favorites...it's a cute book that wonders what if a pizza man doesn't come and a pizza kitty comes instead? or a pizza cow? the illustrations are fabulous.
Lindsey
I completely underestimated this book! The kids loved it a lot more than I did. I shared it with two preschool storytime groups and both were laughing VERY hard.
Kendra
Great book to read aloud to toddlers (or even preschoolers for a nice, quick read). They love talking about what each character is wearing when they come to the door.
Kelli
What would you say if the pizza man came to the door? What if it was the pizza dinosaur or the pizza dog? Silly, interactive, a delight to use with groups.
Kristen
What a fun book for story time! The kids loved making all of the animal noises. Too bad it's out of print--hopefully one day it will be brought back!
Leah
This short, simple and silly story invites children to say the make animal noises and interact with the storytelling. Well-suited for toddler+ storytimes.
Rebecca
Great readaloud potential -- imagination, animal sounds, funny costumes, and pizza. Multi-win. Bring it back in print, publishers of the world!!
Jill
One of my favorite read-aloud titles of all time. Please bring it back in print! My copy, and every library's copy, is tattered and torn.
  • Pete's a Pizza
  • Jump!
  • What Will Fat Cat Sit On?
  • Dog's Colorful Day: A Messy Story About Colors and Counting
  • Lots of Dots
  • Monkey And Me
  • Dancing Feet!
  • Tap the Magic Tree
  • Who Ate All the Cookie Dough?
  • Snip Snap! What's That?
  • Lunch