Start by marking “Hi, Pizza Man!” as Want to Read:
Hi, Pizza Man!

Hi, Pizza Man!

4.03  ·  Rating Details  ·  511 Ratings  ·  68 Reviews
It all begins with a simple question posed by a patient mother when her impatient toddler shouts, 'I'm hungry!' 'What will you say when the doorbell rings and we open the door?' asks Mom. 'Hi, Pizza Man!' replies the thoughtful child. . . .(But) what if it's a pizza woman?. . . a pizza kitty?. . . a pizza duck?. . . The book has a wonderfully satisfying roundness that come ...more
Published September 1st 1998 by Orchard Books (NY) (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Hi, Pizza Man!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hi, Pizza Man!

Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! by Mo WillemsBark, George by Jules FeifferClick, Clack, Moo by Doreen CroninKnuffle Bunny by Mo WillemsI Want My Hat Back by Jon Klassen
Favorite Funny Story Time Picture Books
30th out of 195 books — 135 voters
Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.Pete the Cat by Eric LitwinThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleBark, George by Jules FeifferFrom Head to Toe by Eric Carle
How to rock toddler storytime
43rd out of 326 books — 181 voters

More lists with this book...

Salima Sikandar
Mar 29, 2014 Salima Sikandar rated it it was amazing
This book is very creative for the children. This book can be use for so many purposes that is for imagination, for different professions and for the animals sound as well. The pictures are so bright and very colorful so the children can keep an interest.

About the Author:
This book is written by Virginia Walter.She is a professor and chair at the Department of Information Studies in the Graduate School of Education and Information Studies at the University of California, Los Angeles. Her researc
Sherry Thornberry
I see the mother in this book is asking her daughter a bunch of "what if" questions to distract her from the fact that she is hungry and not waiting patiently for her pizza. I have done that with my kids a million times. I also like how they took something every kid is familiar with, the pizza delivery person, and made a story out of it so young readers can make a story-to-self connection.
Jennifer Heise
Dec 19, 2014 Jennifer Heise rated it liked it
Shelves: beekman
This cute picture book captures a common modern (suburban/urban) childhood experience: waiting for the pizza to come and greeting the pizza delivery guy... and turns it into an imaginative exercise.
As the little girl frets, her mom prompts for what she will say when the pizza arrives-- if the pizza is delivered by a woman, a dog, a cat, a duck, a cow, etc. etc. The next spread shows the putative deliverer in elaborate, amusing accessories (the duck wears a turban headpad and balances the pizza o
Mellissa
Apr 15, 2016 Mellissa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books, humor
I have never had a book requested so much during a story time. Every week someone will shout out PIZZA MAN! It's a crowd favorite and a favorite of my nephew's as well.
Lisa Mcbroom
Dec 16, 2014 Lisa Mcbroom rated it it was amazing
Delightful picture book about a family that is waiting for a pizza. The little child asks will it be a pizza man or woman pizza cat etc.... Delightfully illustrated!
Tiffany Wideman
Hi Pizza Man is a book about a girl named Vivian is waiting for her pizza getting hungrier hungrier. This book shows imagination at it's best. Vivian and her mother imagines the many different ways that the pizza man will come to door as. I would use this book in my classroom to teach repetition. The main line repeated is, "What if..."
Kim
Mar 19, 2015 Kim rated it liked it
This book is cute but in those first couple of illustrations, Vivian looks like she might murder the pizza man when he arrives.
Dixie Goode
It will be a long time before I can post a finish date for this delightfully simple, funny, entertaining picture book. My 14 month old granddaughter and I checked it out from the library because she loves pizza, books and cows, and we saw a pizza delivery cow in the book, and a door to knock on, just like in "Where's Spot?" Since we got it home we have read it maybe 700 times, in 48 hours. We now know exactly when to yell "MaMa!" Where to wave, how to hiss like a snake and roar like a dinosaur. ...more
Michelle Gray
This would be a fun book to make a flannel out of for storytime. It would be great in an animal theme or a food theme.
The Brothers
Feb 04, 2016 The Brothers rated it really liked it
Very cute and simple story of a little, hungry girl waiting with her mother for the pizza man to come. The mother occupies the little girl by asking her what she would say if the person delivering the pizza wasn't a man but a dog/cat/snake/cow/etc.

Very entertaining illustrations.
Miss Kelly
Feb 09, 2016 Miss Kelly rated it really liked it
Really cute picture book, great for read a louds - story times.
Corinna
Mar 03, 2016 Corinna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storytime-books
Used for pizza story time February 2016
Susan
Oct 11, 2015 Susan rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015, storybook
A pizza cow? Really?!? Meh...
Katie
Sep 07, 2014 Katie rated it really liked it
Great for toddler storytime!
Ina
Aug 22, 2012 Ina rated it it was amazing
I love this simple, funny, and oh so imaginative book based on a game the author would play with her granddaughter while waiting for dinner to arrive. This book starts out innocently asking what the little girl will say to the pizza man when the door bell rings (Hi, Pizza Man!) and then the question changes to, but what if it is a pizza lady? dog? dinosaur? The kids in my audience loved this book, and happily helped make the appropriate animal noises and giggled at the wonderful illustrations.
Angie Quantrell
Mar 01, 2016 Angie Quantrell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
I love this story of a young girl waiting to get pizza. Her mom engages her in an imagination game while they wait for the doorbell to ring. Great simple story and excellent illustrations.
Maggie KutsBorg
I predict great success for this book at toddler time. (May 29 2014)

I was right. I added a "ding dong" sound effect on the page turns (which the kids caught on to and joined in with) and we made all the animal sounds along with each character. Very successful! (July 31 2014)

Again - I added the ding-dong and the kids made noises and everyone was happy forever. They even applauded this book. A true all-timer! (Oct 30, 2014)
Emily
Apr 18, 2011 Emily rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book, animals
This silly book associates animal sounds with a picture of that animal. While a girl is waiting for her pizza to be delivered she wonders who will be delivering it. Of course, as first she thinks of a pizza man or woman but then her imagination takes over and she starts to wonder what she would say if her pizza was delivered by a duck, or a dog, or a snake. Very good for sound association.
Asho
Nov 15, 2012 Asho rated it really liked it
We had fun with this one. It talks through various hypothetical pizza deliverers, which just get more and more absurd as the book goes on: pizza cat, pizza dog, pizza snake, pizza dinosaur...Lots of opportunities for animal sounds and lots of repetition make this a fun read-aloud, and I thought the illustrations were really cute. The snake wearing three bow ties on his "neck" was my favorite.
Sandi
Jan 24, 2012 Sandi rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Pre-K and up. :)
"Hi, Pizza Man!" is fun from start to finish! Ordered pizza for dinner and can't wait for it to get there? Well, one could pass the time by asking what would you say if it was a pizza kitty or a pizza puppy who brought your meal? This fun book is silly, simple fun and there are endless variations you and/or your little one could add to the game. :)
Rebecca
Jan 13, 2009 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone with kidlets
A cute read -- it begins with a little girl who is hungry ... and her momma who is asking fanciful questions to distract her (what parent doesn't get THAT?). Will it really be a pizza man who delivers their pie? Or a pizza woman? A pizza kitty? A pizza snake? You get the idea. But it's fun to read with my 2-year-old, because it involves animal sounds.
Jessica
Jan 21, 2011 Jessica rated it really liked it
This book was actually written by my children's literature professor, who's quite well known in teh field. The story is great and simple, plus it's interactive for the kids. Good for readalouds, storytimes, etc. But the illustrations are kind of one-dimensional. There's no movement, no emotion in the characters.

Ages 2-4, or even younger.
Liam
Mar 21, 2015 Liam rated it really liked it
I liked all the other kinds of pizza delivery animals & people.
Tanajia
Jul 06, 2012 Tanajia rated it liked it
This story is very creative. I love how the let her imagination run wild. Very useful when teaching community helpers and jobs that people have.The text is very simple and easy to follow.

Learning experience: I would have the children create their own experience on when they waited for the pizza man to come
Henny
Apr 09, 2012 Henny rated it it was amazing
I didn't hear of this book till this year and it was only because my co-worker was looking all over for a place to buy it for the classroom. Since its out of print its almost impossible to find but I ended up finding one for her and it was the best thing. My preschool class LOVES this book.
Elaine Conway
Different animals and people answer the door- including Pizza Lady
Chris C
Feb 01, 2012 Chris C rated it really liked it
The kids at Storytime loved this book. Our book is getting old, a lot of rips, chewed binding, etc. I had to laugh at some of the weird pictures. Why does the duck have a turban and a pair of earrings on? They should release it again, and change some of the illustrations.
Erin Gunderson
"What will you say when the doorbell rings and we open the door?
What if it's not a pizza man? What if it's a pizza woman? Then what will you say?"

I think this would be a fun game to play with preschoolers.
Aprils
Jul 29, 2013 Aprils rated it it was amazing
This book is a big hit at our library storytime -- so much so that the book started to look worn-out. We made color copies of the pages and turned it into a flannelgraph to make it more interactive. This book makes me laugh. It's simple and funny.
Danie P.
Nov 11, 2011 Danie P. rated it it was amazing
I love love love this book. A young girl learns to say Hello to the Pizza Man. But what if a cow delivers the pizza, then what? You say Mooo Moo Cow. This story goes through different animals until finally the pizza is delievered.
  • Pete's a Pizza
  • What Will Fat Cat Sit On?
  • Jump!
  • Lots of Dots
  • Who Ate All the Cookie Dough?
  • Lunch
  • Chickens to the Rescue
  • Dog's Colorful Day: A Messy Story About Colors and Counting
  • Monkey And Me
  • New Socks
  • We've All Got Bellybuttons!
  • Tuck Me In!