Start by marking “Candy Cane Murder (Hannah Swensen, #9.5)” as Want to Read:
Candy Cane Murder (Hannah Swensen, #9.5)

Candy Cane Murder (Hannah Swensen #9.5)

3.87  ·  Rating Details  ·  7,992 Ratings  ·  350 Reviews
'Tis the season for trimming the tree, caroling, baking cookies, and curling up by the Yuletide waiting for Santa to drop down the chimney. But in this festive collection of holiday whodunits, murder is also paying a visit . . .

'Candy Cane Murder' by Joanne Fluke

Bakery owner Hannah Swensen feels a little stuffed in her elf costume-but it's too late to count calories. Lake
Published October 1st 2007 by Kensington

To ask other readers questions about Candy Cane Murder, please sign up.

Susan Sure. Except for length, I see no significant difference between this story and the books in the series. Hannah discovers a body and plays sleuth, as…moreSure. Except for length, I see no significant difference between this story and the books in the series. Hannah discovers a body and plays sleuth, as always. She gets her mother and sisters involved, which is always fun to read. And she is still dithering between boyfriends. Always baking sweet treats for everyone. Same as always!(less)

Mandy Blair Crider
Aug 09, 2015 Mandy Blair Crider rated it it was amazing
I love Christmas, cookies, and candy canes! This book was so much fun. I only read the Hannah Swensen story since I'm read them in order, but it was great and it was one of the best mysteries that Hannah has been tied up in! Dead Santa, a trail of candy canes, and delicious cookie recipes makes for a great novel!
Writerlibrarian
I read the Joanne Fluke's christmas novella because I'm an addict and a completist. In this short novella, Hannah is still torn between her two suitors (it's time Fluke puts an end to this triangle), solves who murdered Santa, captures and nets the murderer all under 130 pages. There are way too much recipes for such a short novella but they sound yummy especially the candy cane bars but yummy recipes do not make a plot. This relied too much on the telling and well known "tricks" of the series, ...more
Hettie
Jan 12, 2013 Hettie rated it really liked it
I picked up this book to read as it was the next book in the Hannah Swensen series. That is not the story that got the rating.

This book is a collection of 3 shortish stories. The first is the Hannah Swensen story that I choose it for. The story is good but if you have read any of the other stories in the series I need say no more. I enjoyed it and would have given it 3 stars. Great continuation but nothing that I did not expect.

The second story which is part of the Janie Austen series I did not
May 16, 2013 Jennifer rated it it was ok
Shelves: own-no, read-in-2013
This book is actually three stories. The first, 'Candy Cane Murder,' was typical Joanne Fluke. Hannah Swensen murder mystery. Good but not great. Not a lot to say about it.

The second, 'The Dangers of Candy Canes,' was horrible. HORRIBLE. Jaine may be the least likable character of any book I've ever read. (1)Elastic waist jeans. (2)Self-deprecating humor. (3)No regard for ethics or law. (4)Immature beyond belief. (5)Unbelievable cat character with stupid name. If you read this book, I'd recommen
DeAnne
Jul 03, 2009 DeAnne rated it it was ok
I love mystery "who dunnit" stories. I love good ones, I love cheesy ones, there's even a fine art to the really bad ones.

Joanne Fluke has created a series based upon the idea that a small Minnesota cookie baker solves crime in her spare time. Well, because...who doesn't? The other hook is that the books contain the recipes for whatever dessert are being discussed.

So I thought to myself..I like cooking. I like murder mysteries. Two great things...I wonder if they go great together?

Sadly, much
Jessalee Shields-Dulaney
Feb 02, 2016 Jessalee Shields-Dulaney rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nbtr
Awesome book! All 3 stories were very well written. I have added all of Laura Levine's books to my library to read. I am already a big fan of Joanne Fluke and Leslie Meier. Stories included in this book are Candy Cane Murder (Joanne Fluke) part of her Hannah Swenson series. The Dangers of Candy Canes (Laura Levine) part of her Jaine Austen series and Candy Canes of Christmas Past. (Leslie Meier) part of her Lucy Stone series. This is a very cute cozy mystery anthology and I recommend it along wi ...more
Julia
This is a collection of three novellas, tied together by the theme of murders where candy canes are involved either in the crime or the solution.

I had never read any of these authors before.
The first story, by Joanne Fluke, is obviously part of a series and assumes background information on the characters and setting. The mystery was okay, but not memorable.

The second, by Laura Levine, has a main character who is a parody of stereotypes about single women. (At least I hope it was meant as a par
Jodi
Mar 25, 2014 Jodi rated it liked it
Like many people, I picked this up for the Joanne Fluke entry. The theme of this anthology is candy canes. All three stories must have candy canes as a central theme. In Fluke's story a stingy Santa leaves a trail of mini candy canes that only Hannah and her sisters can follow when Hannah stumbles over the Santa dead in the parking lot after a Christmas celebration. Add in some delicious recipes and you have a mini-mystery that has everything you've come to expect from a Hannah Swensen story.

Th
Kathy
Candy Cane Murder by Candy Cane Murder

The CEO of Bergstrom's dept. store is found dead behind a pile of snow on a road. The strange part of the story is that Hannah is a want to be sleuth finds candy canes on the ground as she and her sisters are walking home from a Christmas party that lead right up to the victim. Why was this man murdered? Did it involve money, revenge, or a scorn lover?

Interesting twist on this mystery at the end of every few chapters their is a recipe for either a drink, co
Sheri
Sep 24, 2009 Sheri rated it it was amazing
Laugh out loud funny. Hannah is a riot. Also you will love the recipies. 5 stars in my book!
Susan
Jan 03, 2014 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Candy Cane Murder was another enjoyable holiday read that I found hard to put down. Fluke delivers another delightful tale full of mentions of delicious desserts, a good mystery, and another holiday adventure for Hannah Swensen. I find myself really enjoying this series the more of them I read, and "Candy Cane Murder" was another wonderful addition to the series. "The Danger of Candy Canes" was another great read that had me laughing out loud in some parts because Jaine gets herself into quite a ...more
Amy "the book-bat"
I don't know how I managed to miss this one when I was reading the Joanne Fluke series. This one comes after Carrot Cake Murder. Anyway, I enjoyed it quite a bit and I really want to try out the cookie recipes.

The second story was one of the Jaine Austen stories by Laura Levine. I have only read one other of the Jaine Austen stories in another Christmas compilation of the same three authors. I remember not being all that excited by it, so I wasn't expecting much this time around. Boy was I wron
Nolan
Dec 07, 2013 Nolan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So this goes down as the best holiday book I’ve read this season. I liked it so much that I’ve downloaded multiple books by these authors from multiple sources.

You get three Christmas-oriented mysteries in this book, and all three are most excellent, with the title story being the weakest of the three, oddly enough.

In the title story, you visit a Minnesota Christmas party where Santa is putting in an appearance. Trouble is, when he finally arrives late, he has a nasty case of laryngitis. After t
Julie Barrett
Dec 01, 2011 Julie Barrett rated it it was amazing
Candy Cane Murder by Joanne Fluke
Love this book because it not only is about the Christmas holiday but there are 3 stories in total, with recipes.
The murder/mystery parts are just the added topping to make these a good gift for anyone this year.

Hannah is helping Santa pass out gifts to the children and is dressed up in an elf costume.
Santa is very hoarse but makes it through the presents. He doesn't make it through the night.
Her sister and family come to aid her in gathering information as to wh
Scarlett Sims
Jul 27, 2009 Scarlett Sims rated it really liked it
Shelves: leisure, cozy-mystery
This book is a collection of three mystery novellas taking place at Christmas time, Joanna Fluke's being the one with top billing. I actually made one of the recipes this time and people seemed to like it. The second mystery was my least favorite of the three mainly because I wasn't crazy about the main character, but she did break a wall (4th? 5th? 6th?) when she acknowledged that the Hannah Swensen mystery was probably the reason the reader picked up the book. I really liked the last one as we ...more
Lindsay
Apr 09, 2016 Lindsay rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries
Nothing says Merry Christmas like murder. This book contains a short story mystery by 3 different authors. The first two stories were pretty good, the third one (by Leslie Meier) was not as good as some of her other work. I had never read anything by Laura Levine, so it was kind of fun to discover a new author. At first I didn't like her story (who names their cat Prozac?! Crazy), but then I found myself laughing every so often, so it was good. And of course there's Joanne Fluke, who's character ...more
Dawn Weiskopff
Apr 09, 2015 Dawn Weiskopff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay

I thought this one was better than the last one. Having a little hard time reading so it is taking longer to finish a book.
Sallie
Dec 24, 2008 Sallie rated it it was ok
Shelves: mysteries
I'm 2/3 through this book. Joanne Flukes Hannah Swenson mystery was ok, Laura Levine's story was irritating (she tried way too hard to be cute, and I skimmed through the last 15 pages or so). I don't know the last author, Leslie Meier, so I'll let you know my take on her later. Some of the recipes look interesting but the pecan shortbread cookies sound like an abomination of any shortbread cookie I've ever made. Oatmeal and rice krispies in shortbread? Ugh!!

I finished the last story, and it was
Susan
Candy Cane Murder by Joanne Fluke is book 9.5 in the Hannah Swensen cozy mystery series set in contemporary Minnesota. Lake Eden is a small town where all the residents know each other and pretty much keep tabs on each other's activities. Hannah owns and operates her own bakery business, The Cookie Jar, with business partner Lisa. Hannah's sister Andrea is fashionable and attractive, married to policeman Bill, and they have 2 daughters, Tracey and Bethany. Hannah's sister Michelle is single, stu ...more
Rachel
Mar 09, 2014 Rachel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Disappointing
1. This story is harmless and only slightly annoying (end the love triangle already) little murder mystery. Not the worst. The recipes sound delicious.
2. HORRID. The main character is annoying and makes the worst decisions possible every single time. I got tired of the bad writing and the constant mention of how much bad food the "heroine" felt the need to shove down her throat. No likable characters.
3. Meh. This could have been an interesting story but it felt way to rushed for on
Glen
Nov 29, 2015 Glen rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, cozies
This book is actually collect three novellas from different authors with a common Christmas theme.

The leadoff story is "Candy Cane Murder" by Joanna Fluke, and features her sleuth, Hannah Swenson. A man in a Santa suit has been killed, and Hannah finds the body, so she tracks down the killer. The puzzle isn't much, but the characters are entertaining, and the recipes looks good. It seems there are a great many caterer detectives.

The second story is "The Dangers of Candy Canes" by Laura Levine. I
Teri-k
Dec 06, 2014 Teri-k rated it it was ok
I enjoy Christmas-themed mysteries so I was happy to borrow this one. I've read all of these authors before, but it's been years.

Candy Cane Murder- 1*
Now I remember why I don't read Fluke any more. I thought the writing was weak and had to force myself through it. Unfortunately, breaking up a weak story with recipes doesn't make it better, just easier to put down. Which I did. A lot.

The Dangers of Candy Canes- 2*
Can we stop with the overweight women who describe everyone in terms of dress size
Donna
I think the idea behind this book was a good one. Collaborative efforts can be a great experience. But the execution wasn't as successful. This book, for me, had to be done in baby bites. It is due back at the library today so I actually hunkered down to finish the last 72 pages, so I can get it back to where it belongs.

The dialog was painful. I cringed my way through this book. The stories were shallow, the characters felt under developed, and the minutia was abundant. The second story was a l
Jenn
May 17, 2014 Jenn rated it liked it
Like most people, I'm currently reading the Hannah Swensen series and that's why I picked this one up. I don't generally like short stories at all and usually only make exceptions for things like this when they're part of a series I'm already reading. So, there you go.

The Fluke story was fine. There was nothing different about it, except that it was shorter. It was odd that there was yet another Christmas story when it was just a few books ago that we had another Christmas short story. Yet that
Mark Baker
Mar 03, 2014 Mark Baker rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery, 2007
This novella collection contains three Christmas themed mysteries starring the author's regular series characters. As a fan of the first two, I loved their stories. Leslie's left me a little cold, but I do intend to give her series a try soon.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Jane
May 21, 2009 Jane rated it liked it
I usually enjoy Joanne Fluke's books but felt a bit cheated on this one as the book was only half hers. I did still enjoy the story but always feel that when it is this short that things are all over and done with relatively quickly - I prefer the slightly drawn out process in her other books. You get to know characters better and enjoy the story more.
Jackie
May 23, 2012 Jackie rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. It's three Christmas novellas from three cozy mystery authors: Joanne Fluke, Laura Levine and Leslie Meier. I enjoy books in series so I really enjoyed Laura Levine's and Leslie Meier's since I have been reading the Jaine Austen and Lucy Stone mysteries for a while. But they were short and cute and I enjoyed them.
Lisa Reilly
Dec 02, 2011 Lisa Reilly rated it it was amazing
I liked the 3 stories in one. I still like Hannah and the other 2 stories were very contrasting but interesting. The third was more of a novel type explaining the life of a young mother having to make ends meet with her child and husband and her coping of the new life that was challenging for her. Enjoyable for this time of year.
Nicole
Jan 05, 2016 Nicole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-my-bookcase
Overall, this was an enjoyable book. It was actually split into 3 stories by 3 different authors, but they were all Christmas-themed. I'll rate each story individually.

* Candy Cane Murder (Joanne Fluke) - 3 stars - I'm only rating it 3 stars because I felt a little lost as the characters aren't really explained as this was the a later story of the author's and I guess she thought most people reading would have read her past books. Overall the story was pretty good. I've got another book of hers
Sam
Dec 30, 2014 Sam rated it liked it
Candy Cane Murder: I figured out whodunnit WAY too early in this story, and as I don't particularly enjoy baking, the rest of the story was just blasé with way too many boring characters. I suppose that if I had read any of the longer, novel-length books in the series there would have been more character development and I possibly would have enjoyed this one more. 2 stars.

The Dangers of Candy Canes: Ugh! This story was so difficult for me to get through. I wasn't interested in the mystery and I
Goodreads Librari...: Duplicate? 2 13 Jan 14, 2016 10:35AM
The Women's Myste...: #10 Candy Cane Murder 1 3 Aug 09, 2013 11:19PM
Cafe Libri: Holiday Read: Candy Cane Murder by Joanne Fluke 1 5 Dec 13, 2012 04:52PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: Candy Cane Murder 1 3 Jan 26, 2012 06:04PM
  • Sugar and Spice
  • Christmas Cookie Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #6)
  • A Catered Christmas (A Mystery with Recipes, #3)
  • The Main Corpse (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery, #6)
  • Holiday Grind (Coffeehouse Mystery, #8)
  • Last Writes (A Jaine Austen Mystery, #2)
Like Hannah Swensen, Joanne Fluke grew up in a small town in rural Minnesota where her neighbors were friendly, the winters were fierce, and the biggest scandal was the spotting of unidentified male undergarments on a young widow's clothesline. She insists that there really are 10,000 lakes and the mosquito is NOT the state bird.

While pursuing her writing career, Joanne has worked as: a public sch
More about Joanne Fluke...

Hannah Swensen (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #1)
  • Strawberry Shortcake Murder (Hannah Swensen, #2)
  • Blueberry Muffin Murder (Hannah Swensen, #3)
  • Lemon Meringue Pie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #4)
  • Fudge Cupcake Murder (Hannah Swensen, #5)
  • Sugar Cookie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #6)
  • Peach Cobbler Murder (Hannah Swensen, #7)
  • Cherry Cheesecake Murder (Hannah Swensen, #8)
  • Key Lime Pie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #9)
  • Carrot Cake Murder (Hannah Swensen, #10)

“How nice,” I murmured. Uh-oh. That hadn’t been the” 0 likes
“At least she’d finally figured out why the green leggings she wore were called tights. It was because they were tight. Extremely tight. So very tight that she felt like a sausage about to split open on a blazing hot barbecue grill.” 0 likes