Start by marking “Pretty Good Jokes” as Want to Read:
Pretty Good Jokes

Pretty Good Jokes (Pretty Good Jokes)

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  248 ratings  ·  45 reviews
Fulfilling the flood of requests from enthused listeners, Pretty Good Jokes combines all the jokes from A Prairie Home Companion's first four joke shows (1996-1999). It is an entertaining mix of knock-knocks, one-liners, North Dakota, religious, animal, bar, and light bulb jokes, those famous "yo mama" insults and much more. This live recording features guests Roy Blount, ...more
Audio CD, 150 pages
Published February 4th 2000 by HighBridge Company

To ask other readers questions about Pretty Good Jokes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pretty Good Jokes

Elizabeth
I really enjoyed this book. I'm giving it five stars, but I really should add a disclaimer: the five stars are not to be taken as an endorsement of every joke. Some jokes are in poor taste, and some I just didn't get. That said, so many of the jokes that I *did* get were so side-splittingly funny that they were well worth the ones that fell flat. I can't remember when I had such an enjoyable time reading a book. I laughed out loud so often, reading by myself, that I was half afraid my family wou ...more
Ken Shelton
I love Prairie Home Companion's Joke Night. This compilation is a fun distraction from so much drama :)
Stan Lambchop
I bought this book in the hope for an engaging and enveloping read. I was disappointed to find how the author must constantly link his jokes to a neo-Marxist regime, e.g. 'why did the chicken cross the road? To get to the other side!', with the 'Chicken' representing Lenin, the road being the Bolshevik revolution of 1917 and the 'other side' being the USSR.
The book also has a running undertone of anti Semitism through the constant fart jokes. The plot lacked any narrative structure and the char
Robert Spillman
I borrowed the book on CD version from the library and listened to it when I drove. OK, I must lead a sad life since I've been through all five disks at least three times and they are two weeks overdue. I enjoyed the jokes, the cadence, and the audience laughter. Many are puns, a low form of humor, but I love them. If you memorize enough of them, you can easily liven up a conversation that usually ends with a groan. Love it. They touch all areas: religion, sex, professions, Iowans, Swedes, New J ...more
Jenny
If you have any way of getting the sound recording of any of the Prairie Home Companion Joke Shows, do it. They are great for a road trip. I read some of these out loud to my husband as we drove along and we shared a good laugh. I think some of the mirth came from the fact that we heard the original delivery in the sound recording some years ago. It adds a lot. Still, they are worth the read and the kids enjoy the simpler jokes. Just a caution: some of the jokes are NOT child-appropriate.
Mayda
Garrison Keillor’s collection of jokes from his radio show and compiled into this audio book is all the title says it is – pretty good. The jokes range from kid-friendly to mature adult, or maybe not quite so mature adult! At any rate, you will be highly entertained by not only the comedic delivery of the jokes but also the musical interludes. With a wide variety of jokes from a variety of comic story tellers, there is something here that will appeal to most everyone.
Nathan
All I have to say is that I employed this to annoy fellow bar-patrons for a good 18 months - which is probably a pretty good compliment for a joke book!

Some of these jokes I was already familiar with from listening to "Prairie Home Companion" as a kid, but many I thought were hilarious, but couldn't convey to my fellow humans. Eh, still fun to have on hand ;)
Hrs9517
This book was super funny! I personally liked the death and heaven jokes. This book kept me laughing the entire time, some times I laughed for minutes at a time. The yo'mama jokes are always funny. For example yo'mama is so fat her year book picture is an aerial picture! All in all this book is super funny and a great gift.
David Ward
A Prairie Home Companion Pretty Good Joke Book by Garrison Keillor (Highbridge Co. 2000)(817). This is the companion book to the Prairie Home Companion Radio Show's “Annual Joke Show.” It's without a doubt one of the funniest joke books in print. My rating: 7.5/10, finished 2003.
Marilyn
If laughing is even half as therapeutic as it is reported to be, I just lengthened my life by at least 3 years. Great stuff. I've added a sign to my class store giving prices for the few things I peddle. At the bottom it says "Free Jokes". Thank heavens for this book.
If you like the humor of Prairie Home Companion, you will, like me, love this book. Funny funny jokes, something mostly clean for everyone. Some of it is a bit smutty - but you have to be of a certain intellectual capacity to even realize that - so its safe for work.
Marty Toren
Best assortment of laugh-out-loud humor, puns, and other clever word play that I have seen anywhere--so refreshing to see a collection that doesn't have to regularly stoop to vulgarity and play on the baser instincts to get a laugh--highly recommend.
Victoria Heinecke
Hundreds of jokes organized by topic. Many of them made me laugh the second time I read them. Good book to keep as a reference for public speaking, when you might need a joke to set the tone or illustrate a point.
Myrna
If you are looking for an icebreaker. Bring out this baby. It has yo momma jokes, knock knock jokes, and of course the how many irishmen does it take to screw in a light bulb.
Classics, every single one of them.
Steph
I loved this joke book. If you're looking for some good jokes, I definetly recommend this. Some of them are stupid and others are corny, but the majority of them are funny.
Leah
Dec 21, 2009 Leah rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Leah by: Jeff
Just the pick-me-up I needed at the end of a terrible week. I actually laughed out loud while reading it silently to myself with no one but the cat to hear me.
Cordero Vazquez
ahh jokes humour at it best. I read this book in one day and will be telling a few of the jokes the rest of my life. warning do not read with a full bladder.
Craig
Topically arranged, great variety...this joke book is pretty good. Pretty DANG good!
Megan
Feb 23, 2009 Megan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dan
Recommended to Megan by: Derek
Hilarious! Where I got a lot of my "best" material. :) Garrison Keillor is pretty funny.
Renée
A collection of jokes from the live annual joke show.Many worth memorizing.
Alice
Corny but fun. You can give this joke book to your dad and not be embarrassed.
Jason
I haven't read a joke book in YEARS and this was just too fun!
Ccallejas
I LOVE THIS BOOK becuse i love jokes thats why i am very funny!
Kate
Thank god somebody is still writing down what makes us all laugh.
Hans Dickes
Funny is what you make of it and who you share it with.
Jackson
This Book is extremely funny and has some great jokes.
Steve Shapiro
This book is a must-have for any aficionado of jokes.
Just Me
Hahahahaha, love it! All my kinds of jokes. Hahahahah.
Leila
ha ha ha ha ha... so funny i forgot to laugh
Jim
to be exact, my copy is the third edition
  • The Ig Nobel Prizes
  • Monty Python Speaks!
  • Math, Science, and Unix Underpants
  • Beyond Star Trek: From Alien Invasions to the End of Time
  • Christmas Is Good!: Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom
  • Politically, Fashionably, and Aerodynamically Incorrect: The First Outland Collection
  • The Onion Ad Nauseam: Complete News Archives, Volume 13
2014
Garrison Keillor (born Gary Edward Keillor on August 7, 1942 in Anoka, Minnesota) is an American author, storyteller, humorist, columnist, musician, satirist, and radio personality. He is known as host of the Minnesota Public Radio show "A Prairie Home Companion".

Keillor was born in Anoka, Minnesota, the son of Grace Ruth (née Denham) and John Philip Keillor, who was a carpenter and postal worker.
More about Garrison Keillor...
Good Poems Lake Wobegon Days Good Poems for Hard Times Pontoon: A Novel of Lake Wobegon Lake Wobegon Summer, 1956

“Computers can never completely replace humans. They may become capable of artificial intelligence, but they will never master real stupidity.” 2 likes
“The drag queen walks into a Catholic church as the priest is coming down the aisle swinging the incense pot. And he says to the priest, “Oh, honey, I love your dress, but did you know your handbag’s on fire?” 1 likes