The Twelve Dates of Christmas (Simon Romantic Comedies)

The Twelve Dates of Christmas (Simon Romantic Comedies)

3.45 of 5 stars 3.45  ·  rating details  ·  567 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Lexi's feeling a little holidazed this winter....

Lexi's been going out with Cameron for way too long. Sure, he's a nice guy, but there's a spark missing between them. So she comes up with the perfect plan: get him to fall for another girl so she'll be free -- and guilt-free, too.

But when Lexi sees Cameron looking awfully cozy with Jaylene, her heart melts, especially when

Published October 7th 2008 by Simon Pulse (first published October 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Twelve Dates of Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Twelve Dates of Christmas

The Boys Next Door by Jennifer EcholsThe Ex Games by Jennifer EcholsMajor Crush by Jennifer EcholsA Novel Idea by Aimee FriedmanEndless Summer by Jennifer Echols
Simon Romantic Comedies
27th out of 43 books — 260 voters
Snowed In by Rachel HawthorneSnow in Love by Claire RayEx-mas by Kate BrianLet It Snow by John GreenIcing on the Lake by Catherine Clark
Holiday/Winter YA Books
8th out of 18 books — 25 voters

More lists with this book...

Adriana
The first time I read this book, I was probably just starting high school. Now I'm well into college and I figured it was high time I gave this rom com another try. I don't remember loving it after my first read and that's mostly because younger me spent 90% of the book pissed off at the MC for getting herself into a stupid situation and then trying to reverse said situation the entire time.

Of course, older me realizes that this an essential part of the plot and part of what makes this story pri...more
Amy (Books, College, and Other Random Things)
The Twelve Dates of Christmas is set in Claus Lake, Wisconsin. Alexis Michaels , Lexi, has been with her steady boyfriend, Cam, for four years. She wants a science career and is driven by logical thinking. She doesn't see how it is going to continue working with her boyfriend because she dreams of going to college in the city while he sees himself going to a college close by. With the reluctant help of her best friend, Allie, and her cousin, Nick, she comes up with a plan to make Cam break up wi...more
Reggie
The Twelve Dates of Christmas was a big improvement from Love on Cue (Hapka's other book). If I had to choose two words to describe this book, it would be scintillating and entertaining. Hapka did a great job here. The plot was unique and original, as was the title (I loved the title). It was clever and obviously well-written.

The characters were what made this book stand out from the rest of the Romantic Comedies. They were just so different, and yet, Hapka was able to make them fit perfectly wi...more
Estelle
Review originally posted on Rather Be Reading Blog

As a huge Christmas fan, I was ecstatic to discover this book while surfing the B&N bookstore on my Nook. That being said, I was mostly a fan of Claus Lake, the setting, then the actual story. A place where people actually start preparing for Christmas in September and gladly overlook Halloween. Sounds like my kind of place! The plotline, though, is pretty unbelievable and made me wish it was a cute ABC Family movie instead of a YA novel. (In...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Jaglvr for TeensReadToo.com

For those in the mood for a holiday romance, then curl up with THE TWELVE DATES OF CHRISTMAS. As with all the Simon Romantic Comedies, this one won't disappoint. The ending can be deduced from it being part of the Romantic Comedies collection, but how Lexi gets to her "happily ever after" is what makes this story so much fun!

Lexi has been dating Cameron Kehoe for the last three years. It's her senior year, and she's not sure that Cameron is going to fit in...more
Sophalina17
Kathy
3.5

I thought this was a cute read, it kind of reminded me of a holiday version of How to Take the Ex Out of Ex-Boyfriend. Lexi gets a little panicked that her future plans don’t match up with her long-time boyfriend Cameron. So she decides it would be better to break-up now then deal with it when they graduate and go off to school. Only once she’s gotten him settled with another girl, she realizes just how much she loves him and hates seeing him with someone new. It was actually kind of funny to...more
Rachael
In Claus Lake, the holiday season lasts about one-third of the year. Sure, it’s charming and fun, but Lexi doesn’t plan to stay there forever. She’s practically got the rest of her life planned out, from winning the Simpson Scholarship all the way to becoming a successful and famous medical researcher. Unfortunately, her life plan can’t seem to accommodate Lexi’s long-term boyfriend Cameron who appears to want to stay in Claus Lake forever. In an attempt to make both their lives simpler, Lexi tr...more
Xue Jing
Lexi is a girl who looks to the future. She knows that she will be going in different directions as her boyfriend in college so she planned to get her boyfriend to like another girl. Once she completes that goal she thinks she's all set but when she saw them together, her heart melts and realizes the big mistakes she made. Her friends were always there to confort her and helping her get him back.

I learned that it's not really good to look to the future all the time. Even though looking to the...more
Anna
*Originally posted January 2009.*

This book was just like all the other Simon Rom-Coms. They're very predictable, and they always, always have a happy ending. That was fine with me, though. It was nice to read a happy book after reading so many serious books.

This was a good Simon Rom-Com. It's not one of my favorites, but it was a pretty good one. I loved reading about all the crazy ideas Lexi was thinking up to first get rid of Cam and then to get him back.

If you are looking for a good, quick, e...more
Arianna
This book was really slow in the beginning and didn't get any better as I read on. The main character loses her boyfriend becuase of her lack of appreciation for him and she later on finds out that she still want her ex-boyfriend. Why would she go through all the trouble to get rid of her boyfriend to only want him in the end? Why would he go back to her when she obviously wasn't enthusiastic about their relationship anymore and was the one that was suggesting that they seperate? I thought that...more
Jessica
I really don't have high standard when it comes to these kind of books, and even I was disappointed by this one, it was kind of boring, and a simon pulse romantic comedy is generally not boring. Over the top cheesy and ridiculous? Yes, boring, not really. But here we are, boring and no real cute romantic moment either, which completely defeats the purpose of these books if they don't even have a cute romance.

I'd suggest a pass on this book, there's way cuter holiday reads out there, and that's a...more
Anisah
This book was really good, like at first it was a bit slow but then it got quite interesting. It was one of the times I was actually able to laugh and was more anxious than the character herself. I also love the feeling of falling in love with the male character, that really shows that he is charming if it charms the reader. Overall absolutely loved it, I just kind of wished there was some jealousy between Lexi and Jaylene she came off to be a total airhead with no feelings whatsoever. Still ama...more
Micheala
I really did like the ending of this book, but it just wasn't my "cup-of-tea". ~That expression is slightly funny because I really do not like Tea at all.~ But the point is, I could not stand the main character (Lexi) so that basically messed up the book for me. I spent most of my time saying "You idiot. You idiot. You idiot." while reading about the stuff Lexi was doing from beginning to end. I did like Nick however; He was a really sweet character.
The Twelve Dates of Christmas is a cute/light...more
Ashley - Book Labyrinth
This was an alright read, but I probably wouldn't recommend it. I never really felt sympathetic for Lexi at all, and I didn't connect with any of the other characters either. Cam was a little too perfect and didn't really seem that fantastic, except that he did seem like too nice of a guy for someone who would lie and manipulate them like that. I expected this to be cute and fun, just a simple light read, but it lacked the Christmas magic that should have been apparent in such a holiday filled b...more
Saymon
This book is really good for this time of the year. This book is full of love and it is about Christmas. The setting is around December and it is based on Christmas. I love how the girl is so smart but yet she doesn’t care what people think of her. She is a little too intelligent that she lets her brain get the best of her. She makes a big mistake by letting go of her perfect boyfriend but i liked what she did to fix it. It proves that love can really change a person.
Katy
I've liked some of Hapka's other books, but I just thought this one was okay. I just don't understand why you would throw a perfectly great guy away. But either way, I'm usually a sucker for cute, fun reads, but I didn't think this was really a romantic comedy. It was a cozy read, but the dialogue didn't have me smiling or grinning. Still, it wasn't a bad book at all.
Brooke
Annabelle
At first, it'll seem sort of boring and out of place, but afterwards her funny schemes of getting her guy back and trying to hook them up, and everything... it gets interesting. But, I wouldn't want to read it again, or it'll just spoil the mood that I finished it in.
Jasmine Rose
Cute Christmas read, but didn't break out of the romantic comedy box. I also found the main character to be really annoying since she refused to listen to anyone and kept looking at everything "scientifically" proceeding to make a lot of people around her miserable.
Hpitcher
i've been meaning to read this book forever but never felt in the mood. so ttoday we had a snowstorm and i decided i was in kind of a christmas mood. it was not such a bad book all in all but the main character was kind of annoying.
Melanie
A sweet and YA comedy about love. I thought I had the ending pegged about three-quarters thru the book, and though the outcome was the same, how it got there was a surprise. Recommended.
Sunshine
I think it was really good. The plot was quick, the climax was there, and even though Cam and Lexi got together, the events leading towards that weren't predictable. :D
Emma
It's pretty original- a lot different than other romantic comedies I've read!
Tiffany
The book had potential but kind of fizzled for me.
Chloe
Oooooo loved the ending to this one
rele good
Ariella
Very good. i smile and laugh, also cry. \5 stars
Shelley
I just could not warm up to this tale.
  • Crush du Jour (Simon Romantic Comedies)
  • Love, Hollywood Style
  • Perfect Shot
  • In the Stars
  • Party Games (Simon Romantic Comedies)
  • Puppy Love (Simon Romantic Comedies)
  • Dancing Queen
  • Animal Attraction
  • The Secret Life of a Teenage Siren (Simon Romantic Comedies)
  • Hard to Get
  • Getting to Third Date
  • South Beach Sizzle
  • Do-Over (Royally Jacked, #3)
  • Cupidity
  • Love Undercover (Simon Romantic Comedies)
Catherine (Cathy) Hapka has written more than one hundred books for children and adults, as a ghostwriter for series as well as original titles, including the Romantic Comedies Something Borrowed, The Twelve Date of Christmas, and Love on Cue. She lives in Pennsylvania.
More about Catherine Hapka...
Something Borrowed At First Sight Love on Cue Pardon My French Winter's Kiss: The Ex Games; The Twelve Dates of Christmas