Start by marking “The Travelers (Pendragon: Before the War, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Travelers (Pendragon: Before the War, #1)

The Travelers (Pendragon: Before the War #1)

4.08  ·  Rating Details  ·  8,457 Ratings  ·  50 Reviews
Before Bobby Pendragon.
Before Saint Dane.
Before the war . . .

Every territory of Halla has a Traveler. They lived for yearssome even for decadesbefore learning of their true destiny. What was life like for Bobby Pendragon's fellow Travelers before they joined him in the fight to save every time and place that has ever existed? What led up to their becoming the guardians
Published April 3rd 2009 by Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Travelers, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Catching Fire by Suzanne CollinsThe Last Olympian by Rick RiordanFallen by Lauren KateHush, Hush by Becca FitzpatrickWings by Aprilynne Pike
Published in 2009
30th out of 83 books — 18 voters
The Host by Stephenie MeyerTwilight by Stephenie MeyerBreaking Dawn by Stephenie MeyerNew Moon by Stephenie MeyerThe Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
100 in 2009
92nd out of 162 books — 62 voters

More lists with this book...

Erin
Jul 16, 2012 Erin rated it it was ok
This book was pretty terrible and pointless. I only started reading this sub-series because I've read all the Pendragon books. This review will only make sense if you've read them all. The Travelers series is supposed to tell one story about each Traveler before they find out they are Travelers. This book tells the a story about Kasha, Gunny, and Spader.

The only reason I gave this book 2 stars was for the Spader story. The Kasha story was eh. It was a play-by-play of a couple games of whippen, a
Annie
Apr 30, 2011 Annie rated it liked it
Recommends it for: very, very devoted fans of the pendragon series
Note: I can't review this like I normally do, because this book is actually three shorter stories. They revolve around the Travelers Kasha, Gunny, and Spader, from D.J. MacHale's Pendragon series. The stories are about what happened before the war began and Bobby dropped in. They aren't written by D.J. MacHale.

I picked this up at the library because I'm such a huge fan of the Pendragon Series. I loved every page of those books. So, naturally, I figured it would be awesome to get some insight int
Matthew
Apr 08, 2009 Matthew rated it did not like it
this is a disgrace to the pendragon series
Patrick
May 30, 2012 Patrick rated it it was amazing
This book is 1 of the 3 prequels to "The Merchant of Death" where you see a short adventure to each of the Travelers in their happy life before meeting Pendragon.The first one,Kasha,takes place on Eelong, the territory where klees rule, gars work and tangs lurk. It shows her harvesting crops, playing Wippen and her relationship with her father, Seegan. The next one is Gunny's story(the stories are not in chronological order with each other)which takes place on First earth and he has to solve a m ...more
King Haddock
Jul 13, 2009 King Haddock rated it it was ok
The short stories about Kasha and Spader were enjoyable, if not spectacular. I did not care at all for Gunny's story, which seemed fake at most times - in dialogue, in events, and in other literary elements. The others were lacking in other areas, too, but at least they had some potential.

Kasha's story had some interesting ideas - her reconsiderations over the glars and her conscience against the sport - yet it seemed that she compromised in order to win the scenario, which disturbed me.

Spader's
Sanika Bhargaw
The first prequel to the Pendragon series follows Kasha from Eelong, Gunny from First Earth, and Spader from Cloral. Gunny's story generally ends at the point where he learns about his role as a Traveler.
Kasha learns the truth about gars while her father seems to go mad, giving up a chance for a seat on the Council. Gunny's friend gets arrested for a murder, but Gunny knows he is innocent. Will Gunny solve the murder in time to save his friend along with watching over a troublesome teenage boy?
Mike Aragona
Mar 23, 2011 Mike Aragona rated it liked it
Shelves: all
Strangely enough, the stories aren't as fascinating or fun to read "straight out" compared to the regular Pendragon series where the adventures are written in diary format. This series is to give us a bit more background on the characters introduced in the main series and shows us important events in the lives of some of the other travellers.[return][return]In book 1, we're taken through the lives of Kasha (playing Wippen and her relationship to her father), Gunny (learning to trust his instinct ...more
June Paul
Aug 29, 2014 June Paul rated it really liked it
The Travelers (Pendragon Before the War, #1) by Carla Jablonski

I'll admit getting 'into' was difficult as I haven't read anything like this since my children were young - but I liked it - I enjoyed the action - and the end result of enemies learning how to appreciate each other - how they revealed what made them 'tick' and 'trigger' and how they were able to 'save' each other from total disaster . . . Is it a movie or series? I think kids and parents should read it together and if it is a film - watch it together . . .

Karen
Sep 13, 2014 Karen rated it it was ok
Hmmmm. I am starting to this that these backstory books are a waste of paper and ink. It's not that they are bad, but they add nothing to the original Pendragon series. In fact, I think they risk watering down the series.
Ian Goldberg
Mar 05, 2012 Ian Goldberg rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 3rd-quarter
I thought this book was very helpful. It was very cool and different because it was about humans and animals that talk and their story. It was the beginning of a series that I really like and it told me a lot about the series.
This book is about the Pendragon series before everything really happened. It explains all of the characters in the past and all of their backgrounds. It basically explains why they all are characters are in the books. It tells everyone's story and how they grew up.
I can
Elizabeth Zundel
Mar 31, 2009 Elizabeth Zundel rated it it was ok
Book one tells the stories of Kasha, Gunny and Spader before they were travelers. The book isn't written by DJ MacHale. On the front of the book, it says it was created by DJ MacHale; it is authored by someone else. It isn't quite the same as the other Pendragon books or as good (probably because Pendragon isn't in the book). I read the first story which was about Kasha. It turned me off the book and I didn't pick it up for a few weeks. I finally decided to finish it before it had to go back to ...more
Akbar Singh
May 30, 2014 Akbar Singh rated it really liked it
Loved the book! The humor & the characters' personalities i was mostly intrigued about.
Nannah
These were some nice short stories. It definitely makes me more excited to get that last book in May!

Anyway, although I did enjoy them, I thought at some times that the author's tries at imitating D.J. MacHale's sense of humor . . . tried a bit too hard, but there were some lines that made me chuckle. And I felt like the character's strengths and weaknesses were really played up to be really too obvious.

It was really nice to see a more in-depth look at the worlds though, and I am looking forward
Andrea
Jul 05, 2014 Andrea added it
interesting fantasy read, once you start the series you will get hooked.
Roselle
Jan 29, 2014 Roselle rated it liked it
Ahh, I thought it was going to be better. However, my mother inflated my hopes for this book saying it was "almost as good as Harry Potter."
Steven
Apr 10, 2011 Steven rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pendragon-books
For being introduced to 3 characters that come from a series called Pendragon by D.J.Machale, I was totally impressed and entertained. This book, along with the next two are written by different authors and these characters are important parts of the Pendragon world of Halla that Mr. Machale has created. I thought this author, Carla Jablonski did a fantastic job of introducing the characters in a way that, even a new reader to this series, could dig in easily and enjoy. She definitely makes me w ...more
Mia Israelsen Blackwelder
So I loved the pendragon series- its still one of my favorite series, but I didn't really like this prequel. The three stories about each traveler are just kind of lame and didn't really add any insight to these characters. Mainly the writing style is not anywhere near as well done as d.j. Machale's original series. I think it's hard to accept a prequel that doesn't live up to the actual series it's supposed to precede. It's best if the original author writes a prequel. I won't read the next two ...more
Tim Comstock
Jan 28, 2014 Tim Comstock rated it it was amazing
great book! every story ends with cliffhangers but continues in the next books.
Reader Girl
Mar 23, 2016 Reader Girl rated it liked it
The best part of this book was being able to return to the much beloved Pendragon world. For readers who haven't read Pendragon yet, I doubt these short stories will be fulfilling and their connection certainly won't make any sense. Some of the writing is a bit forced. It's certainly worth a read, though, for people who just can't get enough Pendragon.
Janelle
It wasn't so great the second time around. The stories were okay, but there wasn't anything spectacular about it like the first time around. Some parts were even dragging, and I had to encourage myself to get to the next point. However, the stories were fun, and entertaining, and they provided a glimpse into the Traveler's lives before the war began, and how these characters grew up to be a great force in the Pendragon series.
Emily
Aug 09, 2015 Emily rated it really liked it
I read this as my "book from my childhood" for my 2015 reading challenge. I didn't want to reread a book, I wanted something new. I read all of the original Pendragon series, and I read this as that book. I quite liked the stories, though there were some typos in my edition. I really liked how each of the Travelers met Press at some point in their short story. Though not a '5-star' book, it was still really good.
Michael M
Jun 01, 2009 Michael M rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought that the three stories that this book contains were good but not as good as the Pendragon books themselves. I thought that the best story here was the third one, the one about spader and Cloral. The other ones (Kasha's and Gunny's) were not the best. I thought this booked lackes the action that moast Pendragon books have. I am also going to read the Pendragon book ten when it comes out.
Mallory
Jun 03, 2010 Mallory rated it it was ok
I liked learning more about the characters, but it seemed kinda out of place and unffitting from the novels the characters were based off of. Kasha's story was pretty lame, but I liked Gunny's and Spaders was o.k. but kinda seemed out of character from the Spader in the book.
AnnaMarie
Sep 12, 2010 AnnaMarie rated it it was ok
It's ok writing and story, but it's really three shorter stories within the book, unconnected in this book. You have to go on and read the rest of them to see how they're connected. I'm not sure if I care enough about the characters to read any more of these books.
Shadow
I think what I love most about this series is the different worlds. Every book, there's a completely new setting to lose yourself in, complete with a new cast of characters. But of course, sometimes the best ones from previous novels come along for the ride.
Tony
May 29, 2011 Tony rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A cheap introduction to each of the Travellers written after the last book in the series. All Travellers are introduced to Uncle Presss, but he's given about one paragraph, often at the end of the whole introduction to the characters - not worth reading,,,,,
Josh
Mar 20, 2009 Josh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
if you have read the pendragon series and if you liked it. then you will love this. but you have to read the other series before this one. because it would be to confusing and you wouldn't know whats going on.
Tim McNeil
Jan 05, 2010 Tim McNeil rated it really liked it
I havent read the Pendragon series, I just picked this book at random from my library, I did not like Kasha, but Gunny and Spader are just greta, im looking forward to the rest of the series.
Valerie
Apr 11, 2011 Valerie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was pretty neat getting a look into the lives of the Travelers before they even became Travelers. It was nice to get a glimpse of their pre-Pendragon lives.
Beth
Jul 31, 2009 Beth rated it liked it
Shelves: teen, fantasy, series
Contains a bit of the pre-story of Kasha, Gunny & Spader. This book was not written by DJ MacHale but the story were action packed and entertaining.
  • The Travelers: Book Two (Pendragon: Before the War, #2)
  • The Soldiers of Halla (Pendragon, #10)
  • Artemis Fowl Boxed Set, Bks 1-5 (Artemis Fowl, #1-5)
  • The Ruins of Gorlan / The Burning Bridge / The Icebound Land (Ranger's Apprentice #1-3)
  • Gregor the Overlander Box Set (Underland Chronicles, #1-4)
  • Eragon & Eldest (Inheritance, #1-2)
  • Charlie Bone and the Beast (The Children of the Red King, #6)
  • Septimus Heap Box Set: Magyk and Flyte (Septimus Heap, #1-2)
  • Fablehaven; Rise of the Evening Star; Grip of the Shadow Plague (Fablehaven, #1-3)
  • Lord Sunday (The Keys to the Kingdom, #7)
Carla Jablonski is the author and editor of dozens of best-selling books for teenage and middle-grade readers. She grew up in New York City, where she attended public schools and the Bronx High School of Science. She has a BA in anthropology from Vassar College and an MA from NYU's Gallatin School, an interdisciplinary program for which she combined playwriting, the history of gender issues in 19t ...more
More about Carla Jablonski...

Pendragon: Before the War (3 books)
  • The Travelers: Book Two (Pendragon: Before the War, #2)
  • The Travelers: Book Three (Pendragon: Before the War, #3)