Start by marking “Bear Stays Up for Christmas” as Want to Read:
Bear Stays Up for Christmas

Bear Stays Up for Christmas (Bear)

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  3,641 ratings  ·  111 reviews
"The day before Christmas,
snuggled on his floor,
Bear sleeps soundly
with a great big snore...."
Bear's friends are determined to keep Bear awake for Christmas! So they wake Bear up and have him help them find a Christmas tree, bake cakes, hang up stockings, and sing Christmas songs. Bear stays up -- by discovering that giving is one of the best Christmas presents!
How...more
Published October 7th 2008 by Margaret K. McElderry Books (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Bear Stays Up for Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bear Stays Up for Christmas

Candice
Dec 02, 2011 Candice rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sophie
Shelves: picture-books
Everyone knows that bears sleep through the winter, but Bear's friends do not want him to miss Christmas, so Bear does his best to stay up.

"He stands with a stretch
and a great big sigh.
'I hope I can make it.
I do want to try.'
'Don't worry,' squeaks Mouse.
Hare says, 'It's all right.
We'll keep you busy
all day and all night.'"

And keep him busy they do, with many of the traditional Christmas activities - getting and decorating a tree, baking, singing Christmas carols. This is a wonderful book to read...more
Joanna Marple
Some authors just have it – that ability to write stories in rhyme for young children that simply dance off the page and spill off the tongue with a tempo and fluidity that make them so easy to read aloud and so captivating for a child to listen to. Karma Wilson is one such author.

The scene is set – will Bear hibernate through yet another Christmas day, or will his faithful band of animal friends manage to keep him awake? Having read quite a few now in the Bear series, I, like all children, can’...more
Randie
Bear is hibernating for the winter but his friends wake him for Christmas. Will Bear be able to stay up? With the help of his friends---maybe.

Cute illustrations. I love how the friends come together to do something special for a friend.
Heidi
We love these! Every kids book should have such a catchy rhyme pattern.

1/11/10: And today we just read the new one: Bear Feels Scared. Also great! (Others in the series: Bear Snores On, Bear's New Friend, Bear Feels Sick...)
Karen
I fell in love with Karma Wilson's "Bear" books early on in my years as a children's librarian. They are a joy to read out loud, either to an audience of one or thirty. The rhythm, meter and word choice is always perfect. And there is always a "heart-tug" moment. Karma Wilson paints with her words: every one is needed, not one is wasted. In this book, Bear takes time away from his hibernation to give his friends a special surprise at Christmas. He succeeds, but he, also, is surprised.

Jane Chapma...more
Cathy
Dec 12, 2013 Cathy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Cathy by: previous books
"The day before Christmas,

snuggled on his floor,

Bear sleeps soundly

with a great big snore...."

How a SURPRISE visit from someone very special gives Bear and his friends a Christmas to remember makes an enchanting holiday story for...more
Dolly
Jul 05, 2008 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading to young children
Our girls really like this one. Once again, Karma Wilson and Jane Chapman have come through with a fun story about Bear and his friends. With a rhyming narrative, this story with a Christmas theme is fun to read aloud. And the pictures are charming - we love Bear's expressions. We really enjoy reading this book together and we've read it many times.
Julie Grasso
We love Bear Snores On, so we were keen to get another Bear book. I don't think Bear Snores On could ever be beaten with its engaging rhyme and beautiful rhythm, but Bear Stays Up For Christmas is equally wonderful. My toddler loves this book also and the illustrations are completely stunning yet again. I thoroughly recommend this one and we will be on the lookout for another bear book very soon.
Aleece
Another addition to the Bear Snores On series. This time instead of Bear sleeping while his friends have a party his friends are trying to make sure Bear stays up for Christmas so they go get a tree, decorate it and have fun while waiting for Santa.

This is another cute addition that kids will love to read while waiting for Christmas. It also introduces the some traditions of decorating the tree/what some do to get ready for Christmas. As always the illustrations and text work wonderfully togethe...more
Ina
Bear's friends come together to make sure Bear does not sleep through Christmas this year. They keep him up and together they all prepare for Christmas, getting the tree and making decorations, baking and singing carols. As his friends fall asleep on Christmas Eve, Bear gets busy filling stockings and wrapping gifts, and everyone has a wonderful Christmas morning, before Bear gets tucked in again to continue his long winter nap. Charming story, told in rhyme with equally charming illustrations.
Shakita
This book was fun to read. All the animals convinced the bear to stay up for Christmas this year and it shows all the activities they did. You could ask the children why do they think bear slept through Christmas every year and introduce them to the word "hibernation." This book shows that the value of friendship and also shows you that when you treat others well, you will be trated well too. Bear made all his friends gifts while they were sleeping and didn't even notice Santa bringing him a gif...more
Kathy Cowley
Bear always sleeps through Christmas--he is a bear, and bears hibernate, after all. But this year his friends don't want him to miss it, so they do all they can to help bear stay up for Christmas. And then bear finds something he can do for his friends in return.

This is a clever picture book with fun animals and repetitions. There's something entirely lovable about the pictures, and it's one I was happy to read to my daughter again and again in the weeks leading up to Christmas.
Valerie
After my son fell for Bear Snores On, I couldn't help but grab this Christmas version of the bears story. This time his friends wake him up for Christmas, and you wait to see if the bear will stay up. The rhyming patterns are just as good as in the first, though it loses some of the repetition. (My son could chime in on "bear snores on" in the original, but the wording changes almost every stanza in this version) Still a cute and well-illustrated read.
Joan Alleyne
The Bear series of books are always great reads. This is another great one that can be used to remind and tell young readers of so many things such as ..... What bears normally do during the winter months, how friends can help each other, how kindness works when friends get together and it can even help young readers to understand that it is alright for friends to different. Friends can be all shapes and sizes.
Joelle
This story is so fun! Bear are known for hibernating through the winter. This year, the bears other friends decided they wanted him to stay up for Christmas. They didn't want him to miss out on it so they worked with bear to help him stay up. He started to feel sleepy but he makes it through the night and gets to enjoy Christmas with his friends! It is a fun story of friendship and love all wrapped into one.
jacky
We've read one or two other books about Bear and his friends. I liked this one just as much. The illustrations were very nice. I'm a sucker for a realistic, yet hugable looking bear. The story was a tad longer than I would have liked, as we struggled to get through it at bed time, but I liked it otherwise. There was a nice pattern, and it focused on giving (home made gifts, too) and togetherness at Christmas.
Cassie
Fans who first met Bear in "Bear Snores On" will love this rhyming holiday story where Bear's friends try to help him celebrate his first Christmas. Not only is this a fun story to read aloud, it is also a great conversation starter on hibernation. The tale is written in the same rhyming pattern as Karma Wilson's other Bear books and beautifully illustrated by Jane Chapman.
Janet
I am a fan of Bear and his forest friends and this one is no exception. It is quite interesting how the author revolves these stories around bear's hibernation and weather he is sleeping or not sleeping. Here this good Bear's friend's awaken him so he can see Christmas and the recuring phrase is "the bear stays up". An enchanting delightful Christmas story.
Suzanne
Dec 16, 2007 Suzanne rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Pre-K/Kindergarten
Shelves: picture-books
Bear's friends totally have his back. They aren't about to let their boy sleep through another Christmas so they diligently work to keep him awake for the merriment. THEN WHY THE HECK DO THEY STRAP A GIGANTIC CHRISTMAS TREE TO HIS BACK AND MAKE HIM HAUL IT BACK TO THE CAVE? I mean, he's tired. He's supposed to be hibernating. I think they were using Bear all along.
Susan
Description: In this story, bear's friends decide that they are going to keep him up so he can enjoy Christmas. Bear has missed Christmas every year because he is hibernating. The friends work hard to keep him from falling asleep.

Illustrations: Beautiful, colorful and detailed.

Keywords/Themes: bear, Christmas, animals
Westerville
Awwwww, I love the Bear books, and I REALLY love this one. And I am SO excited for Christmas this year, I feel like a kid. Can't wait! - Marisa, Youth Services Librarian

Reserve a library copy!
Pam Rivera
Just like Bear Snores On and Bear Wants More before, this fun Christmas story features our good friend Bear and his animal friends. Another fun-filled adventure that our family loves to read! (I had to put it away with the Christmas decorations so it didn't get picked repeatedly throughout the year)
Emerson
Part of our library set of Christmas books for 2012.
All the animals (an opossum, raven, wren, rabbit, and others) want to celebrate Christmas. But they really want bear to celebrate with them. Bear keeps falling asleep but ultimately he is the one who stays up all night...and catches a peek at Santa.
Aimee
Beautiful as all Chapman's illustrations are, and fun with all the usual characters. I like the repetion (refrain) the text uses making it accessible for the very young, but older kids who know about bear hibernation will find the humor in it. It's very sweet, too--a feel good holiday story.
Calinda
This is a very cute book for young children. The illustrations are cute and give them plenty to look at, discovering the details of what all the animals are doing. The story/poem is well-written and entertaining.
Hannah
PB 41

I loved this book! The story was really cute and the pictures are great. I have never thought about hibernating animals sleeping through Christmas. It is a really great premise for a story. The characters are all very cute and this book shows a lot of good holiday traditions.
Kelly Van Pelt
I love all of this series but this is one of my favorites. I think it is a great book to show children that it is fun to help your friends and give gifts. There would also be many things you could discuss about the book for example what would you do with bear to keep him awake?
Chad
A wonderful story that children of all ages will enjoy! My kids love to read this book at Christmas time to me and I enjoy reading to them.
Kelci Cox-Griswold
Bears friends want him to stay awake for Christmas. He stays up all night wrapping presents and making goodies even after his friends fall asleep. This is a great book. You could read this to a class for Christmas or to talk about bears hibernating.
Jess
Bear wants to sleep, but since it's Christmas he's going to do everything he can to stay awake.

Good choice for preschool/kindergarten.
Between 3/4. It's a little long for preschool and at times the rhyme is a little more than I want.
  • Merry Christmas, Big Hungry Bear!
  • Russell's Christmas Magic
  • Snowmen at Christmas
  • Llama Llama Holiday Drama
  • Dream Snow
  • I'll Be Home For Christmas (Toot & Puddle)
  • A Wish to Be a Christmas Tree
  • Who is Coming to Our House?
  • Room for a Little One: A Christmas Tale
  • My Penguin Osbert
  • Olivia Helps with Christmas
  • You Are My Miracle
  • Auntie Claus
Karma Wilson grew up an only child of a single mother in the wilds of North Idaho. Way back then (just past the stone age and somewhat before the era of computers) there was no cable TV and if there had been Karma could not have recieved it. TV reception was limited to 3 channels, of which one came in with some clarity. Karma did the only sensible thing a lonely little girl could do…she read or pl...more
More about Karma Wilson...
Bear Snores On Bear Wants More Bear Feels Sick The Cow Loves Cookies Bear Feels Scared