Chalk & Cheese

Chalk & Cheese

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  53 ratings  ·  18 reviews
From the illustrator of Rise and Shine and Jesus Loves Me comes the tale of a limitless friendship between a New York City dog and an English country mouse.
Published October 21st 2008 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Chalk & Cheese, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chalk & Cheese

Lauren Kramer
Chalk & Cheese by Tim Warnes is the charming tale of a very unlikely pair of friends. Chalk is a dog that lives in New York City and his best friend is a mouse named Cheese who lives in England. While they appear to have nothing in common, there is one thing that binds them together: their friendship.

Cheese has been sending postcards to Chalk asking all kinds of questions about New York. Does a skyscraper really scrape the sky? Where does Stuart Little live? Can tractors be spotted driving d...more
Zack
Like the story, not sure how I feel about the layout.
Stacy268
Sep 19, 2008 Stacy268 rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of fun
Recommended to Stacy268 by: S&S
I was lucky enough to attend a book preview this morning at Simon and Schuster. Some wonderful books were discussed including Nikki Grimes' and Bryan Collier's Barack Obama Son of Promise, Child of Hope, My Dad, John McCain, by Meghan McCain, and Hillary Rodham Clinton Dreams taking Flight. Bryan Collier spoke passionately about his project, and showed us some amazing original art from the book. Other highlights were Chains, by Laurie Halse Anderson, Must Love Black, by Kelly McClymer and A is f...more
Ashley
I thought the story was fun and would work well through the third grade. I am not sure about the layout of the book, sometimes it was difficult to follow. it does a good job of showing how two people or things may seem so different at first, but really can have a lot in common. I really enjoyed the beginning when Chalk and Cheese were mailing postcards back and forth.
Tina
Sooo loved this book! I have been to New York so I understood some of what Cheese was going through! I giggled and laughed at some of what Cheese was saying and how Chalk responded so calm and cool. The pet cockroach was hilarious!

Loved the soft pictures with some graphic novel/comic elements and I know my Third Graders would love this! It is a good introduction to adding comics/graphic novels into the class.

I would use this for a compare/contrast lesson for the characters as well as for charact...more
Kim
My son's favorite book of all-time (okay, so he's only 3). This is the charming story of two best friends who couldn't be more different, but love each other just the same. Cheese is an English country mouse from a small town and Chalk is lives in New York City. After a postcard correspondence (shown inside the cover page of the book), Cheese decides to come for a visit. They visit many NY landmarks and through their visits show how different and similar they are at the same time.
Libby
Today's library choice for before-naptime reading, this is a cute story about an English country mouse (Cheese) who goes to visit his best friend, Chalk, a dog who lives in New York City. There is a narrative text, along with lots of comic-book like conversation in the pictures (and you need this for the story!), so it's a little unwieldy as a read-aloud. At the same time, the dialog is what N. loved and what made both of us giggle. Not a life-changer (for me), but a nice book.
Nov 17, 2008 Jennifer rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: pre-k-second grade-not for storytime
Recommended to Jennifer by: new book
Shelves: favs
Chalk and Cheese are penpals. When Cheese comes to visit Chalk in New York, they go together like-you guessed it-Chalk and Cheese (apparently this is an Australian/English thing--meaning opposite). Cheese is hysterical in this funny, rolling in the aisle book--I especially like when he starts trying to make light saber noises (keep in mind, Cheese is a mouse). Very fun letter writing component as well (think Meerkat Mail, except, thankfully, without the flaps).
Sandybear76
I had to stop and read this one today. A few kids had asked for this one while it was checked out. A good book about friendship. A dog living in New York City is friends with a mouse from England. The dog was showing the sights to the very excited mouse and they were having a grand adventure.
Amber
A great book to talk about how different friends get along. The two characters are not your ideal pair of friends and they end up getting along. They talk about how different they are between each other and how they get along with each other. It's a great book to share with the children.
Sherrie Hardin
This is so cute. If you need to teach appreciation of differences, this is a great book.
Shannon
very charming trans-atlantic variation of city mouse/country mouse....
Aerin
A London mouse in New York City, laid out in a graphic-novel-like format.
Julianna Royer
Too cute! I adored the illustrations. :)
Peacegal
This is a very busy book. Too busy, actually.
Maika
Original title and good story.
Christine
Adorably wonderful.
Sarah added it
Jul 18, 2014
Joan
Joan added it
Mar 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Children's author / illustrator Tim Warnes' first book was published in 1995; since then he's worked on more than 65 books, which have been translated into 18 different languages (9 of these he wrote). He also writes a twice weekly comic strip, Chalk & Cheese.

Awards include the Nottinghamshire Children's Book Award for I don't want to go to bed! which features the popular Little Tiger characte...more
More about Tim Warnes...
Daddy Hug Mommy Mine Dangerous! Jesus Loves Me! Rise and Shine!