Start by marking “Tea for Ruby” as Want to Read:
Tea for Ruby

Tea for Ruby

That Ruby! Wherever she goes, table cloths accidentally pull dishes to the floor, flowers get trampled and spaghetti somehow end up in her hair. You can't take Ruby anywhere! One sunny morning, the postman brings Ruby an amazing invitation to have tea with -- the Queen! Ruby had better polish her manners and quickly. Will Ruby really be ready in time?

Illustrated by Robin P
Published 2008 by Simon & Schuster

To ask other readers questions about Tea for Ruby, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tea for Ruby

Kathryn
Feb 18, 2009 Kathryn rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of Fancy Nancy, tea-time, and good manners
This is sooo darling! I love tea-time, and I love Robin's illustrations, so I figured I would like this one and didn't want the "celebrity author" to put me off. The story is nothing THAT spectacular, but the whole package is just so cute! Ruby is so excited about her invitation to "Tea with the Queen" but in her enthusiasm, she forgets some of her manners! She gets little reminders along the way.
***SPOILERS***
The ending is sweet with "the Queen" being, as you may have guessed, Ruby's grandma.
Becky
Nov 30, 2010 Becky rated it it was amazing
I bought this book for my little Baby Ruby for Christmas and read it and LOVED it. I loved the illustrations and the story was darling. Since Baby Ruby is named after Grandma Ruby, I'm going to buy Grandma the book for Christmas.
Sarah Sammis
Nov 04, 2009 Sarah Sammis rated it really liked it
Shelves: pc, read-in-2009
Every so often Cheerios includes a free book in the box of cereal. We got our copy of Tea for Ruby by Sarah Ferguson, Duchess of York that way. As it's illustrated by Robin Preiss Glasser, the illustrator of the Fancy Nancy books, the author's name didn't register when I first started reading it to Harriet.

Ruby, who appears to be a normal suburban child who one day receives a invitation to have tea with the Queen. Her family reminds her of her manners and she practices so she'll be ready. Tea wi
Becky B
Sep 12, 2013 Becky B rated it liked it
Recommends it for: little girls, parents working on manners with kids
A little girl gets an invitation to have tea with the Queen, and she can hardly hold in her excitement. She frequently daydreams about what it will be like. Others keep reminding Ruby that she'll need to mind her manners with the Queen, a reminder that seems much needed. Ruby and the Queen (aka Grandma) end up having a spectacular time.

I picked this up out of our Elementary Media Center thinking it was a Fancy Nancy book I haven't read, and then realized while the artist is the same it is actual
Lauren
Sep 23, 2012 Lauren rated it it was amazing
This book first off has amazing illustrations. The amount of detail in it is just beautiful. This book sends such a good lesson on manners and how to act. Ruby gets a letter inviting her to tea with the Queen at the end of the week. Everyone throughout the week reminds her what she should do or not do while having tea with the Queen. She needs to learn how to act like royalty. This book teaches children how to act and treat each other and adults. The Queen ends up being her grandma at the end of ...more
Vivian
Sep 19, 2011 Vivian rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
this delightful story about manners is best done with two readers.

For extra fun, follow up with this little action verse:
(This works very well with babies on laps).

Here Sits the Duchess

Here sits the Duchess(gently touch the forehead)
Here sit her two friends (touch the eyebrows)
Here sits the flamingo (touch one cheek)
Here sits the queen (touch the other cheek)
Here sits the hedgehog (touch the nose)
Here he runs in (touch the mouth)
Under your chinny chin, chinny chin, chin (tickle gently)
Cindi
Jun 30, 2011 Cindi rated it really liked it

Tea for Ruby, written by Sarah Ferguson, The Duchess of York and illustrated by Robin Preiss Glasser, is an adorable story of a manners and imagination.

Continue reading on Examiner.com Tea for Ruby - a book review about a special tea party - San Francisco fiction | Examiner.com http://www.examiner.com/fiction-in-sa...
Janet Chen
Mar 17, 2011 Janet Chen rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
This book was too cute, and it was really about manners, I liked that the ending was kind of surprising and not what you expected. Reading it to children though I would definitely give them a little background history on the author and who she is, and how this book would relate. Very simple light reading but the pictures are fantastic!
Heather
Apr 18, 2012 Heather rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
I think this is one of my more favorite princessy books. It teaches manners! And the princess in my house loves it. Definitely the same artist as Fancy Nancy. My husband was certain it was Fancy Nancy and I had to try to convince him that they were slightly different. The attitude is better, although I don't mind Fancy Nancy's attitude. One I consider adding to our library.
Jeana
May 05, 2011 Jeana rated it it was amazing
My mom gave this book to my 9-year-old for her birthday and we've loved reading it. The pictures are gorgeous and so clever. And it's sweet and about having tea with grandma in a house that reminds my daughter of her grandma's house. Not to mention, this book even tackles manners as well. It's really quite a delightful little book.
Amy Carr
May 13, 2010 Amy Carr rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
I loved this darling picture book with lots of bling and fancy! A little girl is invited to have tea with the queen and learns a thing or two about good manners during the process of getting ready. It was a fun, engaging way to talk about good manners and why they are important! I loved it!
Sara B
Oct 23, 2011 Sara B rated it it was amazing
Ruby received an invitation from the Queen to have tea. Ruby gets excited telling everyone about her invitation and they tell her what she can and cannot do when she does have tea with the Queen, her Grandma.
Katy
Apr 27, 2011 Katy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I absolutely LOVED this book! Written by the Duchess of York, the ending was cute for adult and child as well. I was even ok with the abundant use of pink in the pictures. Definitely geared towards young girls.
-manners
-accidents
-moral
-love
-special occasions
emma grace
Oct 31, 2012 emma grace rated it really liked it
My ballet school is putting on a production of Tea with Ruby in March, and my dearest Mother found the book at the library. It is such a cute book; the illustrations are priceless. They are so well done, and fun to look at. So cute!!!!!!!
Stephanie Wycihowski
Mar 01, 2009 Stephanie Wycihowski rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
A beautiful story about a little girl named Ruby who is so excited to have Tea with the Queen! Who turns out to be her grandmother! perfect for a little girls tea party. I used it along with Fancy Nancy for my Fancy Tea party which was a raving success.. we had 5 parties so far at my library!
Terry
May 13, 2009 Terry rated it really liked it
My daughter picked this book because of the cover. She liked how Ruby looked fancy in her clothes. Then we read it, and she loved it.

To read our full review, go to The Reading Tub®.
Kristen
Jan 08, 2011 Kristen rated it it was amazing
We invited the cousins and Grandma for tea tonight and had Grandma read this to the chickies. Darling book for teaching etiquette. LOVE! Perfect for your little Fancy Nancy or Pinkalicious groupies!
Teri
May 28, 2011 Teri rated it really liked it
Fun book written by "Fergie"--about a little girl who goes to have tea with the Queen. Great story that can tie into the English royal family and used to learn manners. Same illustrator as the Fancy Nancy books which makes it a great "girl" book!
Megan
Oct 17, 2010 Megan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just loved reading this book with my girls! The story was so cute and the pictures were great! They fit the story perfectly!
Jen
Sep 05, 2012 Jen rated it really liked it
Even if my little walks away while I'm reading this cute short story, I will continue to the end alone.
Patty
Oct 02, 2011 Patty rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A little girl learns manners while preparing to have tea with the queen. Fun read for any aspiring princess. A cute twist at the end as well.
Carolina Cruz
Oct 21, 2011 Carolina Cruz rated it it was amazing
the art in the book is very captivating. Its a very girly book and i personally like how this shows a heartwarming relationship between a little girl and her grandmother :)
Jenny Forgay
Feb 28, 2010 Jenny Forgay rated it really liked it
Ruby is invited to have tea with the Queen. Great book to use when reminding children of their manners.
R
Aug 29, 2012 R rated it it was amazing
Really cute and sweet. Any girly-girl who ever wanted to have tea with the queen or wear a tiara (yes, I count myself one of them) will love this.
Advie
Feb 08, 2009 Advie rated it it was amazing
What an unexpected find. I so enjoyed this book as one day I hope to have Grandchildren and this is a must read with them.
Michelle
Jan 23, 2009 Michelle rated it it was amazing
This is the best book to read if you have a little princess who likes to dress up and pretend. The illustrations are gorgeous and it is a fun read, also teaching manners.
Rachel
Jul 16, 2012 Rachel rated it liked it
Simple story, with a repeating pattern. The illustrations are interesting, but the overall outcome is a little didactic.
Amanda Blackwell
Oct 08, 2015 Amanda Blackwell rated it really liked it

In this book Ruby is invited to have tea with the queen. Throughout the book people keep telling her what to do and what not to do when she meets the queen.

This book is showing how society wants girls to act. Everyone is telling Ruby how to act and what to do in the presence of the Queen. They are telling her to change how she normally acts so she will be proper in front of the Queen. There is one illustration that shows Ruby in her soccer uniform and someone says “I hope you dress appropriatel
Alice
May 09, 2012 Alice rated it liked it
I have heard about this book but didn't really have a desire to read it. It seems like every celebrity or royalty(as it were) are writing children's book. But I do have to say, this book is cute. It is all about manners. I think Sarah Ferguson, Duchess of York etc etc etc did a nice job. The pictures are cute and the story teaches proper manners.

I would recommend it to girls who like Fancy Nancy (in fact I would say Ruby is at least of sister or cousin of Fancy Nancy because she looks an awful l
Colleen
Sep 25, 2009 Colleen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
(It's really called, "Tea for Ruby" I don't know what's going on with the title on Goodreads.) This is a super cute children's book. About a little girl who dreams of being beautiful and having tea with the queen. I love it. It's just what you always imagined being beautiful to be. The pictures are beautiful and Amaya (age 4, our resident princess) has read it at least 12 times in the last two days. She loves it. I strongly recommend this book to anyone with a little princess around the house.
  • Mini Mia and Her Darling Uncle
  • Fred Stays With Me!
  • My Mama Had a Dancing Heart
  • Here Comes the Garbage Barge!
  • Big Red Lollipop
  • The Sandwich Swap
  • Lilly's Big Day
  • The Bicycle Man (Sandpiper)
  • Jazz Baby
  • Rabbit's Gift
  • Fields of Fury
  • Ruby's Wish
  • The Princess and the Pig
  • Sitti's Secrets
  • Grace for President
  • The Emperor's Egg
  • Fancy Nancy Halloween... or Bust!
  • The Great Big Book of Families