Start by marking “We the People: The Story of Our Constitution” as Want to Read:
We the People: The Story of Our Constitution

We the People: The Story of Our Constitution

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  104 ratings  ·  30 reviews
America had won the Revolution, but our troubles were far from over. The thirteen states were squabbling, the country could not pay its bills, and in Massachusetts farmers had taken up arms against the government. Was our country, which had fought so hard for its independence, going to survive? In May 1787 delegates from across the country -- including George Washington, J ...more
Published September 9th 2008 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about We the People, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about We the People

Jennie Smith
This is a wonderful book full of fantastic illustrations which depict the time in our Nations history when our Founding Fathers were creating the document which formed our nation. There are many parts of history that we are taught in our schools, but having it written in a way that just gives us the essentials along with quotes from the Founding Father's and visuals helps it all come to life. Great book to use in any history class!
Jana Giles
This is a solid recollection of how our Constitution came to be. I would have this in a classroom for higher level readers in the intermediate grades. The language is pretty advanced for primary elementary grades. I love that this book has quotes from our founding fathers. The images are beautifully done to show an moment in time. The story is not sugar coated, but it explains the problem of debt and being a new nation very well. I would use this to teach after the Revolutionary War in fifth gra ...more
Dawn Early
Title: We the People: The Story of Our Constitution by Lynne Cheney

Focus: Non-Fiction/Informational
1) Problem/Solution: There is a problem and a group of individuals come together to find a solution.

This book is about the United States when it was new. The Revolutionary War had just come to an end and there needed to be some kind of document that brought unity to the states. All states needed to be represented with equity and each individual needed to have a say. This book shows how the
Sep 02, 2013 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their older children
This summer I took our girls to Gunston Hall, the home of George Mason, the author of the Virginia Declaration of Rights, which was the model for the U.S. Bill of Rights. After our tour, we visited the gift shop and I purchased If You Were There When They Signed The Constitution. It was an informative book and we really liked it.

I noticed that this book was also displayed for sale, but since I knew it was available at our local library, I borrowed it instead. We read them both fairly close toge
I liked this better than the Fritz book and it covered much of the same information, but in less minute detail (and a little more respectfully). My boys enjoyed it too. It provides a good, basic understanding of the convention, some of the personalities and the conflicts between large and small states and North and South. This book does not provide the Constitution at the back, which I think is sad because it would the perfect time to read it to a child.

Most of the illustrations were well done b
Read aloud to my 6th grade Social Studies classes as part of an introduction to the Constitution and U.S. Government. Great pictures and the story was fine but it was still hard for some of my kiddos to focus throughout the entire story. Even though it's a picture book it has lot of higher level vocabulary.
Nice basic overview for younger children. Good pictures. There could have been some more basic explanation given of what was contained in the Constitution, and including the preamble to the Constitution in the text or in an appendix would have been great instead of just in an illustration in script.
My daughter was studying the founding of our nation and was tasked with comparing and contrasting the Articles of Confederation and the Constitution. This book was a nice primer for her to get in the right mindset. I gave it three stars because I thought it was a blatantly partisan book.
This book was alright. Some parts were really interesting but some parts just could not catch my attention. It has plenty of pictures that will catch most kids attention and quotes from George Washington, Benjamin Franklin, James Madison, James Wilson, and more.
Clare Masullo
This story, written by the wife of Dick Cheney, former vice president, is a beautifully illustrated work detailing the writing of the constitution. The story gives understanding to how the constitution was constructed, but seems to have a political and in some points, religious agenda. Furthermore, there are very few images of influential women or people of color. It provides a good understanding of the historical process of constructing the constitution, though. In the classroom, I might use th ...more
Alex Bemis
This a fantastic non fiction book to read to older children. This would be great to use in a history lesson, and the illustrations are awesome. Highly recommend for an older classroom.
Franklyn Kornn
This book is the story of the constitution and how it came about and the process of creating it. Great book for a text set.
Jacob rated this 4 stars, Ellie and mom 3 stars. Read for CC3 wk#23
Edward Creter
I am disheartened that a Cheney of all women would not only lie about America and its Constitution thru the sin of omission but also turn it into a tale of suspense. (Gasp! How did we become a free nation to begin with, Mommy?) Of course she never does let on that the writers of the Constitution were, like Cheney and Bush, beer drinkers. And let's not forget that the Bush/Cheney team promised to valiantly defend such paper from all enemies and yet FAILED. Tell that to your kids!
This book tells a part of the story of how the delegates to the Constitutional Convention in 1787 wrote the U.S. Constitution. It includes details about some of the disagreements and the compromises that were made, including the Great Compromise that resulted in Congress consisting of two houses. Each page includes a couple of paragraphs, a quote from a primary source, and a color illustration.
Catherine Woodman
I am reading Plain Honest Men right now, so actually know quite a bit about the summer of 1787 and the writing of the Constitution at this point. This book is factually accurate, although it does not tell the most riveting of stories about the process that went on, and the illustrations are quite odd, and a little bit scary (Governour Morris in particular).
A great book to open up a conversation on the Founding Fathers and the Constitution. The illustrations are wonderful, the text is engaging and the vocabulary is challenging (might be good for a Word Wall depending on the grade level you use it for). Students will enjoy this more than an overhead, lecture or getting the information out of a textbook.
A large, generously illustrated juvenile guide to the Constitution. The idea is excellent but the watercolor illustrations are busy and too complex. I like the format. Modern kids are visual and books like these help make American History interesting and relevant. But I would have liked slightly darker, less watery, less complex artwork.
Mostly this is a straight out history of a historical event that a lot of books cover or at the very least allude to and this is a pretty thorough job of covering the event conclusively. The evidence of research saturates every page and the writing is informative without coming off textbooky. I enjoyed it.
Colleen Moran
This book is the historical story of our constitution and how it became an important part of our history. It is a great book for a social studies class trying to learn the basics of the constitution. It provides real quotes from the creators of the constitution which is really a great feature of the book.
Gustavo Garcia II
This is a great peace of informational text about the writing of the American Constitution for children. It gives the historical story in a simpler and easier to understand way. I would recommend using this book in any Elementary school history class. It really is a good book about U.S. history.
Excellent! My eight-year-old asked a lot of great questions in response to reading this book and I think he has a greater appreciation for how the Constitution came to be.
Katieb (MundieMoms)
I thought this was a great book. I think Lynne Cheney did a great job and I'm looking forward to reading her other books on America. I think this is must have.
Sfspearman Spearman
If this is a kid's book, then I am a kid. What an awesome explanation of the Constitution and our Republic's founding for children.
Sieun Lee
Cool pictures and explanation.

I don't know why,maybe it's history?Maybe it's picture book?I felt bored while I was reading.

This is a great picture book for use in elementary school classrooms to introduce or compliment a lesson on the Constitution.
Lisa Truelove
Read to my 9 y/o today... Great read, very child friendly. Plenty of quotes from founding fathers. Would reccomend.
Great story so far, interesting to all readers....nicely told for any reading level to understand...
A great history book for children (I'd say about 8+).
Will be using this book for years to come.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The American Patriot's Almanac
  • A History of US: Book 5: Liberty for All? 1820-1860
  • I Pledge Allegiance
  • The Midnight Ride of Paul Revere
  • Can't You Make Them Behave, King George?
  • The Incredible Life of Balto
  • Abe Lincoln: The Boy Who Loved Books
  • Squanto and the Miracle of Thanksgiving
  • Elizabeth Leads the Way: Elizabeth Cady Stanton and the Right to Vote
  • Electrical Wizard: How Nikola Tesla Lit Up the World
  • Eleanor, Quiet No More
Lynne Ann Vincent Cheney, is a novelist, conservative scholar, and former talk-show host who is the wife of former Vice President Dick Cheney.
More about Lynne Cheney...