Start by marking “What's Under the Bed?” as Want to Read:
What's Under the Bed?

What's Under the Bed?

Fred doesn't want to go to sleep, he's worried about what is hiding underneath his bed. Is it big? Is it small? Is it skinny? is it tall? Hardly any text is needed to tell this adorable story because the accompanying illustrations are so lively and bold. And never fear, what is under the bed is as harmless as Ted, Fred's stuffed bear.
Published September 2nd 2008 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about What's Under the Bed?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What's Under the Bed?

Liam Mernagh
What’s under the Bed is a book by Joe Fenton dealing with the contemporary fears of children at night. Fred is a reluctant sleeper who prefers playing with his teddy bear to putting his head to the pillow. Once he's under the covers, his imagination runs wild and he frets, "Could there be something under my bed?" Fred cannot stop worrying about creatures that might be lurking beneath it. As Fred's worries take shape, he questions all the different features it may have as well as the sounds it co ...more
Becky
Aug 26, 2008 Becky rated it liked it
Fenton, Joe. 2008. What's Under the Bed?

Incredible illustrations, simple text, What's Under the Bed is a book that almost works well. Almost. I loved the illustrations. They're striking. Using limited amount of colors--black, gray, white--with the barest splashes of red, green, and blue, it is also incredibly detailed. The book tells the story of a boy who is afraid that something or rather someone might be under his bed. The boy has a vivid imagination when it comes to imagining just who that s
Anna Baker
Young children will love this book because it is funny and age-appropriately frightening. It's good for reading development because of the rhyming and somewhat repetitive nature.

Illustrations are great. I think they could spark ideas and imaginations before a creative arts activity. They show many different ways you may draw one subject. Good for discussing use of color: everything is black and white except for the monster he is imagining. And good for discussing composition: the different plac
Alicia Scully
Fred needs to go to sleep but he's worried there might be something under his bed. He then imagines all of the different forms that the mysterious monster can take until finally deciding to be brave and look under the bed. What will he find?

The illustrations did fun things with color splashes that accented the mainly black and white book. The text wasn't that difficult to read, so it may be especially fun for younger readers and the book was also quite short. It was cute, but I don't know how of
Davenport Public Library
Oh, man. Oh, man. Fred hears a noise. On the ground. Under the bed. What color is it? What size is it? What can it be? Join Fred on a tense trip into bravery. Predominantly black and white illustration coupled with simple oversized pictures add to the drama. Perfect for reading alone with your youngest, or for sharing with a group during a sleepover. (And don’t worry – you’ll be ok with what is really under the bed.)
Cassie
Feb 03, 2010 Cassie rated it really liked it
Fred does not want to go to bed, he wants to stay up and play with Ted. Though forced to lay down his head with Ted, Fred does have an imaginative adventure searching under his bed. Joe Fenton's first picture book is a treat to read and share with your young one. The pared down rhyming text is perfect for the toddler set (they illicit OOooo's and giggles from my little boy), as are the bold, detailed, and fun illustrations.
Heidi-Marie
I love the illustrations of Fred. The monster, well, are we trying to help a child get over its fears in this book or not? Because this wouldn't have helped me as a young'un. And the ending is a little confusing--I'm assuming it's the one in the bed saying the last line. If I had a preschool group with absolutely no bedtime or monster fears, this could be fun to read aloud. Otherwise, I guess more for older kids if they didn't feel the book was too young.
Christopher Obert
Sep 02, 2010 Christopher Obert rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2010
This is a cute children’s book about what is “under the bed?” The illustrations are fun and very interesting to look at because of the minimum use of color. The story is short and is written on each page in English and Spanish. Both the story and the art were created by Joe Fenton, so they work well together. I liked the story and plan on reading it to my granddaughter if she is ever scared of “What’s Under the Bed!”
Dolly
May 25, 2010 Dolly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: beginning readers and parents reading with them
This is a fun book to read aloud with children at bedtime. It's Fred's bedtime, but he's worried about what's under the bed. The illustrations are mostly black and white with some single color shading, particularly of the monster that Fred is imagining. It's a dramatic effect and it helps convey the fright Fred experiences. The narrative is a simple, rhyming text that is great for beginning readers. Our girls really liked it.

(A free book we got in our box of Cheerios)
Kirsten
Apr 23, 2009 Kirsten rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
The very book that asks and answers the question WHAT'S UNDER THE BED? I enjoyed reading this to my classes and they seemed to get a big kick out of the kid in the book's imagination. The illustrations are wonderful, the wording and typing is fantastic... A great book for kids who are going through the "monster under the bed" phase.
Alice
Jul 10, 2015 Alice rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-50-stars
3.5 stars I cute book about what is under the bed. Did you ever worried what was under the bed. I know I did. But I was actually more afraid of 'things' looking in my window. I liked the black and white element as well!
James Jones
Apr 25, 2012 James Jones rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
His mom called up to Fred saying "Time for bed, Fred!" for Spanish it said "!Hora de acostarte, Fred!" Fred thought there was a monster under his bed and he said "Could it be green? Or maybe it's red. Is it tall? Or rather small?" At the end it turned out it was his teddy bear under his bed.
Brittany
Sep 19, 2008 Brittany rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
These illustrations remind me a lot of Tim Burton, I love the use of color in this. The story is also very cute for kids with the ending and all, a great reaffirming story to tell them nothing is under the bed.
Daniel
Jul 23, 2012 Daniel rated it liked it
There's nothing amazing about this book. The only reason I read it, is because I got it in a cereal box. The story is for children. It's simple and has art work that sort of resembles Tim Burton's art. It's a nice story.
Marie
Dec 20, 2008 Marie rated it really liked it
Definitely not for the anxious child, this darkly illustrated book is deliciously scary while still being funny. The best part is that the text is very simple, so a somewhat competent beginning reader could read it by him/herself.
Kim
Jun 14, 2010 Kim rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jt-s-books
Dee-Ann
This is a good childrens book. I think I liked the black and white pictures the best ... the eyes are cute. My boys liked the suspense and the monster.
Melissa Dwyer
Jun 02, 2015 Melissa Dwyer rated it it was amazing
Originally Rated E by Sam Jackendoff
Wonderful mixed media illustrations.
Lot's of rhyming - great for read-alouds.
Tina Bartholoma
Dec 10, 2009 Tina Bartholoma rated it liked it
"nighttime fears, monster grows as boy describes, large, oversize shapes in illustrations, gothic hues"
Zack
Jan 23, 2009 Zack rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Simple and fun rhyme, but the illustrations are what really shine! Could be fun for a number of ages, and for those little ones with short attention spans.
Garren
Jan 17, 2016 Garren rated it liked it
Not great as a read aloud to a group, because the big attraction here is the black and white art with accent colors. Also the extent of the kid's imagination.
Stephanie Griffin
Oct 22, 2011 Stephanie Griffin rated it did not like it
It bothered me that the boy's eyeglasses were as big as his head and his image got lost in the rest of the dark, dark images. Just didn't like it.
Molly
Jan 16, 2009 Molly rated it really liked it
A boy is worried what is under his bed and finds out that it is ok to only cause and noise and make the monster in his bed what is under there. Cute and funny. Ages 5+
Travis
May 19, 2013 Travis rated it liked it
Dark, scary illustrations. This book had text in English and Spanish which is very handy for those not fluent in one of the languages. All and all, a good book!
Michelle
Michelle rated it did not like it
Dec 17, 2008
Maxine Hawker
Maxine Hawker rated it really liked it
Oct 15, 2014
Shauna
Shauna rated it really liked it
Nov 07, 2014
David
David rated it liked it
Jun 01, 2011
mindi
mindi rated it liked it
Sep 30, 2008
Oscar
Oscar rated it really liked it
Sep 07, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Willoughby & The Lion
  • Red Ted and the Lost Things
  • Oscar and the Very Hungry Dragon
  • If I Were a Jungle Animal
  • Moon Rabbit
  • What Can You Do with a Rebozo?
  • My Cat, The Silliest Cat in the World
  • The Retired Kid
  • On Top of Spaghetti
  • Bedtime for Mommy
  • 17 Things I'm Not Allowed to Do Anymore
  • Animal Strike at the Zoo. It's True!
  • Wolf! Wolf!
  • Mr. Pusskins and Little Whiskers: Another Love Story
  • Goodnight Goon: a Petrifying Parody
  • What Pet To Get?
  • Let's Sing a Lullaby with the Brave Cowboy
  • Two at the Zoo
Joe Fenton is a British artist, designer, sculptor and illustrator, who mainly works in monochrome using graphite, ink, acrylics, oils on paper, canvas, and other.

Joe Fenton became internationally-known through his first large scale drawing rendered in graphite, acrylics, gouache, and ink, called Solitude. Completed in 2011, Solitude took over 10 months to produce, with its size being approximatel
More about Joe Fenton...