Start by marking “Peter and the Wolf” as Want to Read:

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  253 ratings  ·  54 reviews
Sergei Prokofiev composed his Peter and the Wolf in 1936 with the hope of introducing children to the instruments of the orchestra. It happens that he also devised a wonderfully dramatic story. The characters - boy, bird, duck, cat, grandfather, wolf, hunters - and their doings have been beloved by young and old for decades.

Writer, artist, musician, and Caldecott Medalis
Published November 4th 2008 by Atheneum/Richard Jackson Books (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Peter and the Wolf, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Peter and the Wolf

Baby by J.K. AccinniEcho by J.K. AccinniArmageddon Cometh by J.K. AccinniHive by J.K. AccinniEvil Among Us by J.K. Accinni
books i own
243rd out of 363 books — 194 voters
Animal Farm by George OrwellHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. RowlingThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeOf Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
Species and Animals in Titles
283rd out of 504 books — 111 voters

More lists with this book...

Edel Mc
This is a story of a boy who goes out into the woods for a walk even though his grandfather told him not to. He meets many animals on his travels, a cat, bird, duck and a wolf. The book is very well illustrated which is good as visual aids for children to help them imagine the story. There is a good sequence of events which allows children to understand and follow story and useful to recap on the story.
The story is engaging and captivating throughout as Peter is constantly meeting new characters
Camille Ryckman
Peter and the Wolf
Brief summary Classic retelling of the symphonic children’s classic
Annotation - This is a book that must be pre-read and practiced before reading aloud. The unusual sounds the animals make to imitate the instruments in the symphony take some time to work through so it sounds natural.
Age appropriateness 3-5 years
Connection to six early literacy skills
Phonological awareness - This book uses a lot of different sounds to imitate animals that may not be what children have heard bef
I loved this! To be able to take a piece of music and turn it into a storybook, complete with musical tones of each character, is simply genius! I could hear the different parts of the music as I read each part, because Chris Raschka retold this story in such a way that each voice had a unique sound. He even wrote out a lot of sounds in his words.

This book is just awesome! It takes a story typically told on stage with music and puts the stage performance straight onto the pages.

And the artwork
Tasha
Raschka has taken Prokofiev's orchestral masterpiece and reworked it into a picture book that both pays homage to the music and also takes it to a different place. The book introduces each character in turn, gives them a voice and a sound and has them appear on the stage. First comes Peter, who is a spinning, twirling, whirling force. Then comes the bird, who is a delight to read aloud with his stutter and rhythm. My favorite then enters, the duck, who virtually yodels, calling his presence to e ...more
Esther
Peter and the Wolf retold by Chirs Raschka
Atheneum Books for Young Readers, New York, NY, 2008.
Interest Level: Grades 2-6 because the read along could interest developing readers but the cultural connection to the music could appeal to older readers.

This book is an interpretation of Sergei Prokofiev's symphony and story of Peter and the Wolf. The story follows Peter, his grandfather, and various animals as they try to evade the wolf's grasp. The framed illustrations are miniature stage sets that
Gale
Set in wintry Russia a century ago this charming story, specifically designed to entertain children and introduce them to various instruments of the orchestra, was created by an established composer; the best narration occurs in conjunction with the orchestra. The use of "leitmotiv"—assigning one particular instrument to play one melodic strain—helps listeners recognize which character is on center stage.

Young Peter, visiting his grandfather’s cottage by the big woods, is warned repeatedly no
Karen
My newly-five-year-old son picked this book out from our local library last week.

I wanted to really like this book; I've been known to attend concerts performing Prokofiev's Peter and the Wolf before I had children (although the last time I was pregnant with my five-year-old son). I wanted to really like this book, but I just didn't.

I like the idea of the book -- telling the story of Peter and the Wolf in a non-Disney way and putting some of the fear and fierceness back into the original story
Rebecca Ann
I LOVED the illustrations in this book. They have a messy, half finished look, with some pages having lots of white space and some a bit more busy and painterly. I especially loved that the whole story was framed on a stage. Raschka retells the story of Peter and the wolf and changed quite a bit. There is a boy, a bird, a duck, a cat and a wolf. The duck and bird argue, the a cat tries to eat the bird and a wolf comes and eats the duck. Peter catches the wolf by the tail and some hunters come an ...more
Bvlmc Buchanan Verplanck Elementary School
The author creates a cacophony of sound in this modernistic rendition of the classic folk tale "Peter and the Wolf". With the abstract artistic themes throughout the illustrations, only those well grounded in the original tale will follow this story although young children may find humor in the nonsense words designed to create animal sounds and activity.
Ivy
Jun 03, 2015 Ivy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: school
This book has tons of voice which will be excellent when having my kids do their own retelling of the folk tale. However it is not the best telling of this story. It is a good addition to add to multiple retellings. I did not care for the illustrations.
Vilo
This book can be enjoyed alone or while listening to a record of Peter and the Wolf by Sergei Prokofiev. Christopher Raschka is the illustrator and writer of the words which have the rhythm of the music. The themes for each animal are clear.
Ellen
My kids were already familiar with the story of Peter and the Wolf. Thus, I was comfortable reading them this version with its silly language. They love the illustrations.
Abby Ratliff
This is a traditional story that will appeal to the boys. The kids could even act it out! The mixed media illustrations are fun too.

Genre: traditional literature
Traci
I did not like this book at all. It made absolutely not sense at all. It was in the format of kids putting on a play and each character saying certain lines. Most of the words were just made up words that I had no idea how to pronounce and it made it impossible to follow the story line. I barely even know what happened. I just know a wolf ate the bird and there were hunters trying to kill the wolf and then Peter came and saved them all, or something like that. It was supposed to be a fairy tale ...more
Audrey Evans
Language feature: alliteration, onomatopoeia, rhyme
Yvonne
This did not hold my attention let alone my daughters...
Michael Fitzgerald
Crap. Self-absorbed nonsense.
Joqui
Ok, so this is my honest opinion, if you want to read this book go to the library and check it out first. It's cute, has wonderful drawings but in my case it did not keep my child's attention. He just looked at me like I was crazy trying to pronounce the words in the book. Maybe if you quickly read this to yourself before reading it to your child you will have an easier time...
I would not recommend anyone to buy this book, but it does have some awesome illustrations and it's a cute concept.
Natalie
I love the way this book looks. It's so bold and fresh! And before opening it I thought about all the possibilities of pairing it with the musical score. And I reminisced about watching the Disney version in music class every year.

But then I opened the book, and I oh, so loved the collages... but when I tried to read the dialogue, I realized that it was kind of like talking to an acid casualty. It doesn't make any sense.
Darrielle
This book is funny and is sure to gain students' interest as they listen to the story of Peter and the wolf. The book is a great tool to incorporate music into a lesson and introduce the class to string, woodwind, brass and percussion instruments that make up the orchestra. In the book the orchestra this book incorporates music otehr animals. Students can make predictions as to what will happen
Min
This is a favorite of mine, childhood or adulthood, the music and tale are beautiful.
This rendition is best entitled 'vaguely related to but nothing like what you know Peter and the Wolf'.
I can imagine this would be very visually and aurally entertaining for children at story time but I don't believe it is good enough to represent the original nor act as any form of introduction to this piece.
Samantha
A picture book version of Sergei Prokofiev's composition that sought to introduce children to the instruments of the orchestra.

For the artwork, the artist constructed miniature stages made of heavy paper, painted in watercolor, and cut and glued together to make a 3-dimensional illustration. I liked the leap the artwork took here, it worked well for the story and added drama and flair.
Katie Nerheim
I liked this story a lot because of the illustrations. The story was definitely for younger kids though. The plot was made a little easier to read because of the dialog. I am planning on teaching older kids so I would not read this in my classroom but it was pretty entertaining. I liked the pictures and it would be good to read out loud. The classic story is always nice to hear.
Molly
While I already knew I loved Raschka's work, I didn't expect to like this one as much as I did. The illustrations are tremendous and the text is great to read aloud. My son also loved it!

As a side note, I appreciate Raschka's artwork, but because it is so unique, I can understand why some people really dislike it. I think that can account for some of the 1 stars his books receive.
Jennifer Oaks
This is another play tale that I have read I have to say that I like this one better. The book is set up to where it is repetitive. On the first page, it shows the character and the lines it is saying. Then on the second page, it shows which animal is entering next. This is a fun book to do with reader's theatre or even as a class project.
Stephanie Sesic
My preschooler enjoyed this retelling. Each character is introduced on their own page, with the facing page framed like a stage and illustrating the action when that character enters the play. The nonsense words and repetition are great for preschoolers. Mine enjoyed it at least. But then, she's obsessed with wolves!
The Library Lady
Nov 24, 2008 The Library Lady rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who think that award winning authors/illustrators can do no wrong.
Recommended to The Library Lady by: A misguided book reviewer--probably from Kirkus
I'm sorry. I don't care how many damn awards Raschka gets, I just DON'T LIKE HIS BOOKS!

I don't see what makes his version of "Peter and the Wolf" worth the $18.00 of taxpayer money I plunked down for it. There are far better versions on the shelf already--and they generally even come with a CD of the music.

Christi Moore
Nice adapatation of an old classic. Chris Rashka's use of various texts and illustrations helps carry the story. I would use this book with students as a model for writing and to help them understand that they can use creativity and imagination in the layout of their text.
Liza Gilbert
Unbelievably confusing and awful. Raschka tries to layer the voices and actions of different characters in this classic fairy tale, but instead creates a jumbled up story that does not hold interest. The appearance of hunters with shotguns (in a picture book) is over-the-top.
Jenny
The sounds created through the words in the book were pretty neat but I was not a fan of this style (I'm the first to admit I am not the most cultured or artistic person so maybe I don't appreciate true "art").
  • Bear's Picture
  • Abe Lincoln Crosses a Creek: A Tall, Thin Tale (Introducing His Forgotten Frontier Friend)
  • Big Bad Bunny
  • Rapunzel
  • 10 Things I Can Do to Help My World
  • I'm Bad!
  • Wonder Bear
  • The Lamb and the Butterfly
  • We Planted a Tree
  • Mail Harry to the Moon!
  • I Am Too Absolutely Small for School
  • On the Farm
  • Tweak Tweak
  • Traction Man Meets Turbo Dog
  • The Dog Who Belonged to No One
  • Tap Dancing on the Roof: Sijo (Poems)
  • Wall
  • Don't Slam the Door!
"I always try to treat the book itself as the artwork," Chris Raschka says. "I don't want you to stop while you're reading one of my books and say, 'Oh! What a gorgeous illustration!' I want you to stop at the end of the book and say, 'This is a good book.' "

Chris Raschka is one of those people who knew from an early age what he wanted to be when he grew up. "It was never a question in my mind,"
More about Chris Raschka...
A Ball for Daisy Yo! Yes? Daisy Gets Lost Charlie Parker Played Be Bop Everyone Can Learn to Ride a Bicycle