Start by marking “Imagine a Place” as Want to Read:
Imagine a Place

Imagine a Place (Imagine a...)

If you can imagine a place,
you can go there.

Imagine a place that makes you feel as free as a bird. Imagine a place where getting there is worth whatever it takes. Imagine a place that makes you feel like it's always been your destination. Imagine a place made out of pure imagination.

Imagine a Place is a gorgeous companion to the critically acclaimed Imagine a Night an
Published September 2nd 2008 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Imagine a Place, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Imagine a Place

Mary Catelli
Dec 11, 2015 Mary Catelli rated it really liked it
Another book of tromp l'oeil transitions between one thing and the next. Autumn leaves to butterflies, for instance.
A surreal, trompe-l'oeil wonder! What is the visual trick in each picture, and how is it accomplished? Looking for the seam between the shifting images will make your head spin. Give to fans of optical illusion, Escher, Magic Eye, Eye Spy, Chris Van Allsburg, etc.
Lisa Carroll
Apr 12, 2011 Lisa Carroll rated it it was amazing
Wow! I don't know what else to say, but wow. If you simply took the words and put them to paper, it wouldn't necessarily be a story. It might be something to ponder for the older reader. But, when you add the illustrations, it is simply magic. The words and the illustrations blend perfectly together that one can't exist without the other. I want to buy a copy of this just to keep for myself. Sarah Thomson wrote the book and this was illustrated by Rob Gonsalves. There are apparently other books ...more
Stephanie Fatemi
Sep 03, 2013 Stephanie Fatemi rated it really liked it
This is a picture book with very vivid and imaginative illustrations. There is some text, but the main focus of the book is the pictures accompanying the text. Each picture is actually two pictures that morph into one and can be interpreted in different ways. While there is little text, this book would still be useful in a reading class as a way to entice readers into reading. The pictures are very creative and full of details and reluctant readers might be drawn into the book through the image ...more
Kevin Doyle
May 31, 2014 Kevin Doyle rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: boys or girls, age 6 or up, especially those who love artwork
"Imagine a Place" is full of remarkable, beautiful M.C. Esher like artwork, making the book a delight to view. The writing is nicely done, mainly one or two sentence inspirational phrases about life. But really, you hardly notice the words. I don't think my kids paid much attention to me during read aloud time :).

But it didn't matter, I too just wanted to look at the illustrations! Trees slowly become birds, piles of rocks seem to become lovely old Victorian houses and a creek full of stepping s
Feb 14, 2014 Kristen rated it it was amazing
Like the other Imagine books, we are taken on a variety of visual destinations described through the use of limited descriptive words. The paintings are dreamy and fill our imagination as they were destined too. Children can fill in words through the illustrations providing their perspective and story. the images are brought to life. These series can lead to many discussions and writing workshops where students can practice the use of descriptive words to match another piece of art, writing or t ...more
Jeridel Banks
Nov 12, 2012 Jeridel Banks rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Imagine a road paved with sidewalks that lead to plush-green lawns fenced by rounded, wooden enclosures. Brick, red homes with arched entrances and multiple chimneys rise from within these gapless barricades. In the distance, these same homes float off in a blue, reflective sea, its fences becoming boats with trees as their companions.

“Flood Fences” is the cover to Rob Gonsalves’s Imagine a Place picture book accompanied with Japanese-translated text by Sarah L. Thompson. Gonsalves, a Canadian p
Katherine Salinas
Feb 21, 2015 Katherine Salinas rated it really liked it
Shelves: olivia-read
This book allows you to get lost. Lost in your imagination, the descriptions and the beautiful illustrations. Each page offers new ideas, new optical illusions and creative ideas. We could spend a lot of time simply talking about what we see in the pictures. Very clever and imaginative!
Aug 28, 2008 Becky rated it liked it
Thomson, Sarah L. 2008. Imagine a Place. Illustrated by Rob Gonsalves.

Imagine a Place is a companion (or perhaps follow up is the right word) to two previous books: Imagine a Day and Imagine a Night. I've not read those two. The book combines poetic text with beautiful illustrations. Both have the intent to make you think, to engage your mind. For me personally, the illustrations were more effective in that than the text. (I loved the illustrations.)

Here's a sample of the text: Imagine a place..
Rebecca Wendel
May 16, 2015 Rebecca Wendel rated it really liked it
I didn't care about the words in this book, but the paintings were beautiful and fascinating. I love how the artwork blends two ideas or two places so seamlessly. You can't help but spend a full minute or two examining the illustrations before turning the page.
Jan 31, 2014 Vivian rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Fantastic landscapes spill off the edges of each page, playfully capturing the essence of the verses, inviting a stroll into a dream-like place.

Play some favorite classical music as you engage in thoughts triggered by the words and images about states of matter, thinking beyond horizons, mixtures of seasons, and more.
Clare Cannon
Oct 06, 2010 Clare Cannon rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All ages!
Shelves: 04-8yrs
If you can imagine a place,
you can go there.

Imagine a Place is a book that meets you in familiar surroundings and then takes you far, far away. Its pictures tell incredible stories and its words echo like poetic song.

A visual play on perspective brings a dolls house to life, turns snowfields into spring blossoms, oceans into mountains, and a few piled bricks into a city. Wind-blown curtains become dancing couples and a sea-shell brings the white-wash of the ocean into a bedroom.

One can’t imagine

where the sigh of waves
spill from your
Sarah Sammis
Feb 26, 2012 Sarah Sammis rated it it was amazing
Imagine a Place by Sarah L. Thomson with illustrations by Rob Gonsalves asks the reader to imagine ordinary places realized in extraordinary ways.

The cover for instance, takes a normal looking block of homes and slowly, à la an Escher tessellation, become house boats, except that they are still red brick homes with grassy yards. Another page hows a library room built entirely of books.

Rob Gonsalves's acrylic surreal panoramas bring Thomson's poetic text to life. This is one of those books that s
Mary Crabtree
Jan 13, 2009 Mary Crabtree rated it liked it
This is the third book of the "Imagine" Series and I rank it high for it's illustrations but I don't think the text
stands up to the quality you'll find in Imagine a Night. Night is so much more in that it entices the reader to Imagine a story beyond the text that is revealed in each picture. This book's text is more like exclamations of feelings and doesn't pull you into the illustrations. I still recommend this as
the paintings of Rob Gonsalves can stand on their own....wordless!
Apr 17, 2016 Amanda rated it it was amazing
Awesome. That's all I can say... wow. Children will be in awe at the pictures on these pages.
Sep 10, 2014 Chris rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Beautiful pictures that remind me of David Wiesner's books, but the text only sometimes matches the scenes.
Apr 15, 2014 Lorna rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A nice book about imagination - will take you anywhere you want to go.
Nov 30, 2015 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
This beautiful book celebrates the places that are and that can be!
Sep 23, 2014 Marianne rated it liked it
Feb 06, 2016 Crissy rated it it was amazing
Loved the Trompe-l'œil artwork.
Alexa Maring
Apr 11, 2011 Alexa Maring rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-book
This would be a great book to use in the older grades to bring out the creativity in your students. Imagine a place... this leaves the mind wide open to express its imagination in multiple ways. Students can write their thoughts, draw them or verbalize them to showcase their imagination. Without imagination, life if boring. We each have our own interpretations and imaginations. No one will imagine in the exact same way. Another wonderful bulletin idea. Let students show their imagination to the ...more
Sep 10, 2014 Kelly rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2012 Ryan rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Bailey, Roy, Katherine
Really, I looked at - the words are nice but the pictures are wonderful and I wanted many as prints. These are the types of paintings where one thing becomes another, or is another at the same time. A man walks out onto rocks in a river until the rocks become a castle. A stream surrounded by snowy banks is also the sky, the moon surrounded by snowy clouds (probably my favorite). Skiers glide down a slope of snow that become the cherry blossoms of trees.
Jan 19, 2013 Laura rated it it was amazing
The sentences are simple while the pictures are complex and mesmerizing. The beautiful combination creates a wonderful book about the opportunities that await if one just believes.

I paired this book with a nonfiction book about Martin Luther King with my second graders in the library. We talked about his dream, and then this book was a springboard for the kids writing their own dreams for the future.

This is a must-have for any library.
Louise (A Strong Belief in Wicker)
I do so love the clever surealist type paintings that form the basis of this book, and the others in the Imagine series. I've never been one to get poetry, and the words here, which I see as poetry don't speak to me nearly as much as the images. They are worth reading just to look at the images themselves. Important for children to be exposed to this kind of image also, so they can see the possibilities behind the obvious.
Fantastic Book Blog
Apr 15, 2015 Fantastic Book Blog rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
Drawn to it by the beautiful illustrations. The accompanying text is suitably appropriate, but the illustrations are simply amazing! I learned a new word today - trompe-l'œil - which describes the artistic style of the illustrations. Google it! It's a children's picture book, so a short read, but get it for the art.
Shawn Bird
May 31, 2012 Shawn Bird rated it it was amazing
This is an absolutely stunning book. The paintings are gloriously detailed and imaginative. I would love to have several of them blown up poster size for my class room! The poetry of the prose fits perfectly with the pictures, and one could spend hours studying each one, and imagining a place...
Jan 21, 2009 Raina rated it really liked it
Gorgeous illustrations play with perspective and illusion. Rocks in a stream become castle turrets. Curtains billowing become dancing ladies. The text is a bit obtuse, but I would LOVE a print of the library image...
Sandy Brehl
Mar 12, 2012 Sandy Brehl rated it really liked it
One of a series of :"Imagine.."titloes in which the spare text and intensely surrealistic paintings demand careful and repeated examination. These are ":go back" books for any age.
  • Shadow
  • The Three Questions
  • Posy
  • Marguerite Makes a Book
  • Willoughby & the Lion
  • South
  • Billy's Booger
  • Varmints
  • Houndsley and Catina (Houndsley and Catina, #1)
  • Mummies Made in Egypt

and the world lies
in the winner's hand

where the sigh of waves
spill from your suitcase
and drift into your dreams”