The 3 Bears and Goldilocks

The 3 Bears and Goldilocks

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  86 ratings  ·  32 reviews
We all know that Goldilocks has a lot to say about the Three Bears. Everything they have is either too hot or too cold or too big or too lumpy or too hard or too soft or too completely, absolutely wrong. Only one of them can get anything right! Just right, that is.

But have you ever wondered, even for the littlest mini-second, what the Three Bears think about her?

Well,...more
Published September 30th 2008 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The 3 Bears and Goldilocks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The 3 Bears and Goldilocks

Kathryn
This is a fun take on the traditional story. I'm not sure that it was *quite* as different as I expected but it's fun to see more of the bears' perspective (and how they are actually very sweet and thoughtful about Goldilocks) and, fortunately, I liked the illustrations much better than her offering in If I Were a Lion. I think my favorite thing about this book is that the bear house is very much a wild, woodsy house with wooden walls, leaves and debris on the floor, bugs purposely stuck in the...more
David
The 3 Bears and Goldilocks by Margaret Willey, illustrated by Heather M. Solomon focuses more on the Three Bears, who have more real bear qualities than most versions.

The tale starts with advice from Goldilocks' father to his bold daughter: "Be careful not to rush headlong into places where you don't belong." And Goldilocks listened, but did not really listen." In this version Goldilocks is portrayed as a bold, curious young girl. The thoughts which Goldilocks has are written in italics.

Goldilo...more
Connie
I hope you do, anyway :)

What distinguishes this Goldilocks story from most others is that the bears are shown living, well, like bears! Their beautiful house is covered with fish scales and debris (Goldilocks "helpfully" sweeps it up), their delicious oatmeal is filled with bugs and grubs (Goldilocks "kindly" picks it out... before eating Baby's all up, of course), their kingly and queenly beds are made of sticks and dirt. And when they finally find the little girl, what they feel is more pity t...more
Cindi
My new favorite version of this story. A little more realistic than a bunch of bears living in a "people" house. Similar to the original, but different in all the right places. Plus, I just love Heather Solomon's work!
Alexa Maring
So many ideas from just one book! Comparison, the craft of manipulating the appearance of the text, and the power of art are just a few. Though relatively similar to "Goldilocks and the Three Bears", this book shows a slightly more realistic version where the bears live like bears. They eat bugs and sleep on straw, BUT they still maintain human like characteristics. As with a lot of fairy tales and fables, personification can be taught. Giving non-human objects human traits is something many chi...more
Jade Nguyen

1. { Genre }: Traditional Literature

2. { Summary }: Goldilocks, both bold and curious, finds her way into the three bears’ home. She finds the place a mess and out of the kindness of her good heart she cleans it. Tired from a long day, she sleeps and awakes to a startling surprise.

3a. { Area for comment }: Content

3b. { Critique }: The 3 Bears and Goldilocks is a much kinder and gentler version of the traditional Goldilocks and the Three Bears.

3c. { Critique Example }:
Goldilocks plays the same bo...more
Tara Kollman
This story tells a version of the classic tale of Goldilocks. Goldilocks is told in the morning by her father to not go places she doesn’t belong. She listens to him but does not obey this rule. While in the woods, she stumbles along this cabin. She’s so curious she decides to knock, but no one answer. She decides to proceed inside anyways. She discovers the floor is a mess and decides the sweep in out of the cabin. Then she notices that the porridge laid out consists of bugs, but still eats it....more
Amanda Zell
"The 3 Bears and Goldilocks" is a traditional piece of literature that may portray it is different that than the traditional story, but it is not.
I was somewhat disappointed in this selection. I expected this to be a different variation of "Goldilocks and the Three Bears". However, it was not. While the setting of the story had slightly changed, there really was no other discrepencies in the story compared to the original version that I have been exposed to several times in the past. I was hopin...more
Amanda
This book is like the typical folklore Goldilocks and the Three bears. Even though it is very similar to the original Goldilocks some of the things are different. The bears say different things and the things she runs into at the bears house are slightly different than the regular book. Even though it is a tad different I really did like this book. It was something different and was a book i've never heard before. I also really like how this version is different but keeps the main events the sam...more
Alexis
CUTE!!!!
This is a childrens folklore book rating P. I love the twist this takes on the original story. I like the author has the bears doing what we all imagine bears do which is sleep on straw and eat forest food. Like bugs and such. I think this is a good read for children in school. The illustations were fun and went along with the text very well. It was nice to read a more "realistic" take on the story. I would use this in the classroom as a compare and contrast book assignment.
Kelley Beatty
I also enjoyed this book as well. The little girl, Goldilocks, was given certain directions and was to follow them, as as most children do not EXACTLY follow directions she didn't. When she went on a walk she disobeyed and actually went exploring. I find it very important for the kids to have rules but be allowed to explore as well. She showed how honest kids are.
Sherry
Traditional tale, well illustrated, with the addition of a preface (dad tells daughter to embrace her adventurous spirit but temper it with caution where you don't belong), new takes on the descriptions of the home, porridge, and beds, and with some additions to the ending from both the bears' and the girl's family's point of view.
Booklegger, grades K-2.
Malika J.
Another version of Goldilocks and the Three Bears. This version is a little more mature than a lot of versions, but would be great for comparing and contrasting. I would pair this book with Goldilocks and the Three Bears told by James Marshall and Goldilocks and the Three Dinosaurs by Mo Willems. Great for discussing how stories are retold.
Natalie
Superb dialect!

From Dad: "Be careful not to rush headlong into places where you don't belong." And Goldilocks listened, but did not really listen.

Fantastic juxtaposition between watercolors and photo collage make up the illustraions.

If I was going to purchase a version of Goldilocks, it would definitely be this one.
Aerin
I absolutely despise the story of Goldilocks, but my kids are enamored of the tale. How delighted, then, was I to find this book? Willey's fresh take doesn't hide the original story, but makes it a bearable thing for me to read out loud, and Solomon's illustrations are utterly fantastic.
Diana Pettis
This text could be used if you were comparing different versions of the three bears and goldilocks. Some of the vocabulary would need to be explained to children for example (curious, scraf, waist-high, settled). I would use it as a read-aloud only.
Eowyn
I really loved the pictures in this book and the interaction of Goldilocks with her parents. I also enjoyed how Goldilocks is portrayed as a curious little girl (as opposed to a snooty one in other renditions of this tale).
Josephine
Fun, though not as avant-garde as some of the other variants on fairy tales; perhaps this would be a little better for younger kids, who aren't ready for, say, Mo Willems' Goldilocks and the Three Dinosaurs
Gail
I love how the perspective is switched in this story, so you consider how the bears' beds look, what they like to put in their porridge, or keep their house. Each page also has a hidden raccoon or bird.
Joenna
The traditional Goldilocks and the Three Bears story with just a few changes. Goldi cleans the house, makes new porridge, and then goes to sleep on the littlest bed. Cute illustrations.
Sarah Winters
This book has great illustrations that help tell the story. I thought this was a great book of an old story. I would recommend this book for first and second graders.
Leyla
It's a classic, what can I say. We loved her ringlets. I guess my daughter understood the connection of the hair and the name. :)Great illustrations!
Elizabeth
Very clever version of a story I didn't really think there were any clever versions left to tell! Beautifully illustrated, too.
Tobinsfavorite
This is a worthy addition to the not-quite-the-tale-you-recall canon. The art is intriguing.
Vicki
Read this title along with Goldilocks and the 3 dinosaurs so our PJ story timers could compare.
Alison
How Goldilocks should be told. With bears that live in a cave. Plus a lesson learned in the end.
Catherine
More realistic rendering of what the bears' house might be like; beautiful illustrations.
Tina
"very interesting twist, bears as animals living in rude hut"
Rachel
This books offers whimsical illustrations to a classic fairy tale!
Susan Erhardt
A unique version of Goldilocks.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
I am the author of 9 Young Adult novels, 6 picture books & more on the way in both genres. I have also published reviews, essays and poetry. My best known books are the CLEVER BEATRICE picture books, for which I received many awards and prizes, including the CCBC Charlotte Zolotow award for best writing in a picture book. Recently, I was given the Gwen Frostic Award by the Michigan Reading Ass...more
More about Margaret Willey...
Four Secrets Clever Beatrice A Summer of Silk Moths Thanksgiving with Me The Bigger Book of Lydia