Start by marking “The 3 Bears and Goldilocks” as Want to Read:
The 3 Bears and Goldilocks

The 3 Bears and Goldilocks

3.71  ·  Rating Details  ·  111 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
We all know that Goldilocks has a lot to say about the Three Bears. Everything they have is either too hot or too cold or too big or too lumpy or too hard or too soft or too completely, absolutely wrong. Only one of them can get anything right! Just right, that is.

But have you ever wondered, even for the littlest mini-second, what the Three Bears think about her?

Well,
Published September 30th 2008 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The 3 Bears and Goldilocks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The 3 Bears and Goldilocks

Kathryn
This is a fun take on the traditional story. I'm not sure that it was *quite* as different as I expected but it's fun to see more of the bears' perspective (and how they are actually very sweet and thoughtful about Goldilocks) and, fortunately, I liked the illustrations much better than her offering in If I Were a Lion. I think my favorite thing about this book is that the bear house is very much a wild, woodsy house with wooden walls, leaves and debris on the floor, bugs purposely stuck in the ...more
David
Aug 19, 2011 David rated it really liked it
The 3 Bears and Goldilocks by Margaret Willey, illustrated by Heather M. Solomon focuses more on the Three Bears, who have more real bear qualities than most versions.

The tale starts with advice from Goldilocks' father to his bold daughter: "Be careful not to rush headlong into places where you don't belong." And Goldilocks listened, but did not really listen." In this version Goldilocks is portrayed as a bold, curious young girl. The thoughts which Goldilocks has are written in italics.

Goldilo
Connie
Jun 05, 2010 Connie rated it really liked it
I hope you do, anyway :)

What distinguishes this Goldilocks story from most others is that the bears are shown living, well, like bears! Their beautiful house is covered with fish scales and debris (Goldilocks "helpfully" sweeps it up), their delicious oatmeal is filled with bugs and grubs (Goldilocks "kindly" picks it out... before eating Baby's all up, of course), their kingly and queenly beds are made of sticks and dirt. And when they finally find the little girl, what they feel is more pity t
Kevin Doyle
Dec 08, 2014 Kevin Doyle rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: maybe best for girls, age 4 or 5 or older, but our 4y/o son did love it too!
Most of us have read maaaaaany renditions of this old tale. So it's rather nice when a version comes along that really feels different and is beautifully done - such as this book. Both our 8y/o girl and 4y/o boy love this one and for the last week or so, it's definitely been a read aloud favorite of mine.

The artwork is beautiful - colorful and creatively done in a very realistic, watercolor style. Normally I go for the unusual, quirky 'Oliver Jeffers' and 'Jon Klassens' of the picture book illus
Cindi
Apr 06, 2009 Cindi rated it it was amazing
My new favorite version of this story. A little more realistic than a bunch of bears living in a "people" house. Similar to the original, but different in all the right places. Plus, I just love Heather Solomon's work!
T Crockett
Sep 12, 2015 T Crockett rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
In this version Goldilocks is precocious, but well intentioned. Having read many Goldilocks stories, I appreciated that the "too hard, too soft, just right" portion was included without being repeated several times.

The illustrations are gorgeous collages made of mixed materials. There are little side stories that go in on the background that never get mentioned in the story itself. I've read this almost every day for weeks to a 4 year old. The older siblings have enjoyed listening to it several
Alexa Maring
Apr 06, 2011 Alexa Maring rated it really liked it
So many ideas from just one book! Comparison, the craft of manipulating the appearance of the text, and the power of art are just a few. Though relatively similar to "Goldilocks and the Three Bears", this book shows a slightly more realistic version where the bears live like bears. They eat bugs and sleep on straw, BUT they still maintain human like characteristics. As with a lot of fairy tales and fables, personification can be taught. Giving non-human objects human traits is something many chi ...more
Jade Nguyen
Nov 07, 2011 Jade Nguyen rated it really liked it

1. { Genre }: Traditional Literature

2. { Summary }: Goldilocks, both bold and curious, finds her way into the three bears’ home. She finds the place a mess and out of the kindness of her good heart she cleans it. Tired from a long day, she sleeps and awakes to a startling surprise.

3a. { Area for comment }: Content

3b. { Critique }: The 3 Bears and Goldilocks is a much kinder and gentler version of the traditional Goldilocks and the Three Bears.

3c. { Critique Example }:
Goldilocks plays the same bo
Tara Kollman
Dec 03, 2013 Tara Kollman rated it really liked it
Shelves: folklore
This story tells a version of the classic tale of Goldilocks. Goldilocks is told in the morning by her father to not go places she doesn’t belong. She listens to him but does not obey this rule. While in the woods, she stumbles along this cabin. She’s so curious she decides to knock, but no one answer. She decides to proceed inside anyways. She discovers the floor is a mess and decides the sweep in out of the cabin. Then she notices that the porridge laid out consists of bugs, but still eats it. ...more
Kristen Hein
Oct 28, 2014 Kristen Hein added it
Shelves: module-3
I thought this was a cute twist to this traditional story. I thought that the illustrations were very unique, as well as the story line. Goldilocks has her own opinions of the bears cottage and how messy it is, and I like that this story tells how she came to "clean up."
Amanda Zell
Mar 17, 2010 Amanda Zell rated it liked it
Shelves: pbgs-3
"The 3 Bears and Goldilocks" is a traditional piece of literature that may portray it is different that than the traditional story, but it is not.
I was somewhat disappointed in this selection. I expected this to be a different variation of "Goldilocks and the Three Bears". However, it was not. While the setting of the story had slightly changed, there really was no other discrepencies in the story compared to the original version that I have been exposed to several times in the past. I was hopin
Lucy
Jan 06, 2016 Lucy rated it it was amazing
These illustrations are amazing! And I love how the story has been adapted to be more realistic for the bears.
Tessa
Jun 21, 2015 Tessa rated it liked it
Goldilocks and the Three Bears, we get more info about the thoughts about each group about the other.
Eva
I've read many versions of Goldilocks, but this is my favourite. The home of the bears is "bear-like" with mounds of grass for beds and bugs in their honey. Goldilocks comes in with good intentions to clean up the place, which is misunderstood by the nonthreatening bear family. They find her a curiosity and all stare at each other in surprise when she wakes up. She dashes home and reports that she has learned the lesson her father related to her in the morning, which she totally misunderstand in ...more
Amanda
Feb 15, 2013 Amanda rated it really liked it
Shelves: folklore-books
This book is like the typical folklore Goldilocks and the Three bears. Even though it is very similar to the original Goldilocks some of the things are different. The bears say different things and the things she runs into at the bears house are slightly different than the regular book. Even though it is a tad different I really did like this book. It was something different and was a book i've never heard before. I also really like how this version is different but keeps the main events the sam ...more
Alexis
Oct 28, 2012 Alexis rated it liked it
CUTE!!!!
This is a childrens folklore book rating P. I love the twist this takes on the original story. I like the author has the bears doing what we all imagine bears do which is sleep on straw and eat forest food. Like bugs and such. I think this is a good read for children in school. The illustations were fun and went along with the text very well. It was nice to read a more "realistic" take on the story. I would use this in the classroom as a compare and contrast book assignment.
Kelley Beatty
Sep 06, 2013 Kelley Beatty rated it really liked it
I also enjoyed this book as well. The little girl, Goldilocks, was given certain directions and was to follow them, as as most children do not EXACTLY follow directions she didn't. When she went on a walk she disobeyed and actually went exploring. I find it very important for the kids to have rules but be allowed to explore as well. She showed how honest kids are.
Sherry
Traditional tale, well illustrated, with the addition of a preface (dad tells daughter to embrace her adventurous spirit but temper it with caution where you don't belong), new takes on the descriptions of the home, porridge, and beds, and with some additions to the ending from both the bears' and the girl's family's point of view.
Booklegger, grades K-2.
Malika J.
Another version of Goldilocks and the Three Bears. This version is a little more mature than a lot of versions, but would be great for comparing and contrasting. I would pair this book with Goldilocks and the Three Bears told by James Marshall and Goldilocks and the Three Dinosaurs by Mo Willems. Great for discussing how stories are retold.
Natalie
Nov 10, 2008 Natalie rated it really liked it
Superb dialect!

From Dad: "Be careful not to rush headlong into places where you don't belong." And Goldilocks listened, but did not really listen.

Fantastic juxtaposition between watercolors and photo collage make up the illustraions.

If I was going to purchase a version of Goldilocks, it would definitely be this one.
Aerin
I absolutely despise the story of Goldilocks, but my kids are enamored of the tale. How delighted, then, was I to find this book? Willey's fresh take doesn't hide the original story, but makes it a bearable thing for me to read out loud, and Solomon's illustrations are utterly fantastic.
Diana Pettis
Jul 25, 2012 Diana Pettis rated it liked it
This text could be used if you were comparing different versions of the three bears and goldilocks. Some of the vocabulary would need to be explained to children for example (curious, scraf, waist-high, settled). I would use it as a read-aloud only.
Eowyn
Aug 05, 2009 Eowyn rated it really liked it
I really loved the pictures in this book and the interaction of Goldilocks with her parents. I also enjoyed how Goldilocks is portrayed as a curious little girl (as opposed to a snooty one in other renditions of this tale).
Josephine
Feb 04, 2013 Josephine rated it liked it
Shelves: library-book
Fun, though not as avant-garde as some of the other variants on fairy tales; perhaps this would be a little better for younger kids, who aren't ready for, say, Mo Willems' Goldilocks and the Three Dinosaurs
Gail
May 03, 2011 Gail rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
I love how the perspective is switched in this story, so you consider how the bears' beds look, what they like to put in their porridge, or keep their house. Each page also has a hidden raccoon or bird.
Joenna
Oct 27, 2008 Joenna rated it really liked it
The traditional Goldilocks and the Three Bears story with just a few changes. Goldi cleans the house, makes new porridge, and then goes to sleep on the littlest bed. Cute illustrations.
Sarah Winters
Dec 13, 2012 Sarah Winters rated it liked it
This book has great illustrations that help tell the story. I thought this was a great book of an old story. I would recommend this book for first and second graders.
Leyla
Sep 26, 2013 Leyla rated it it was amazing
It's a classic, what can I say. We loved her ringlets. I guess my daughter understood the connection of the hair and the name. :)Great illustrations!
Elizabeth
Aug 29, 2010 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-lit
Very clever version of a story I didn't really think there were any clever versions left to tell! Beautifully illustrated, too.
Tobinsfavorite
May 01, 2012 Tobinsfavorite rated it really liked it
This is a worthy addition to the not-quite-the-tale-you-recall canon. The art is intriguing.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
I am the author of 9 Young Adult novels, 6 picture books & more on the way in both genres. I have also published reviews, essays and poetry. My best known books are the CLEVER BEATRICE picture books, for which I received many awards and prizes, including the CCBC Charlotte Zolotow award for best writing in a picture book. Recently, I was given the Gwen Frostic Award by the Michigan Reading Ass ...more
More about Margaret Willey...