Start by marking “Introduction to Logic” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Introduction to Logic

Irving M. Copi

Introduction to Logic

This book introduces the fundamental methods & techniques of correct reasoning, in a manner that shows the relevance of the topics to readers everyday lives. Many new exercises introduced in this edition help supplement & support explanations, aid in review & make the book visually stimulating. This book includes many fascinating illustrations taken from the hi ...more
Published April 3rd 1986 by MacMillan Publishing Company (first published 1953)

James
Dec 15, 2007 James rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
I read an earlier edition, obviously, because this one was published in 2001 and I read it as the text for a logic class in 1982; however, I still have the book in a handy spot on the shelf, which I can't say about any other book from that year, so it's stayed current and useful - a lot of its content is timeless.
This was a great eye-opener for me; I'd always had a skeptical and questioning way of thinking, but often although I'd have a gut sense that something I was hearing (in a commercial, a
Brian
Dec 12, 2008 Brian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a popular college logic textbook...I enjoyed it so much I've read it almost three times now (I realize I must have issues)
Mohammad
به نظرم نقطه قوتش مثالها و تمریناتش بودن کاملا ملموس و مربوط به قرن اخیر
از بحثهایی که سیاستمداران آمریکایی با هم دارن یا مقالات روزنامههای آمریکایی حتی برخی کشفهای علمی اخیر مثال و تمرین درآورده بود
Ali
Aug 17, 2016 Ali rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
واقعا شاهکاره این کتاب، شاید بهترین کتاب برای فراگیری مقدماتی منطق باشه. در بخش اول کتاب تمام مفاهیم اساسی منطق بخوبی توضیح داده شده و نحوه آنالیز استدلال ها و تاثیرپذیری استدلال ها از کارکردهای متنوع زبان و برخی مفاهیم زبانی مرتبط تشریح شده. در انتهای این بخش اقسام مغالطات غیر صوری رو بررسی میکنه. فصل مغالطات برای هر کسی فارغ از اینکه به منطق یا فلسفه علاقمنده یا نه، میتونه بسیار مثمر ثمر باشه و تنها فصلی از کتابه که میشه بصورت منفرد و بدون هیچ گونه پیش زمینه ای مطالعه کرد.

بخش دوم کتاب به تشریح
carl
May 24, 2007 carl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
this is a great book from a great time in my life. taking 15 hours of philosophy courses and intro logic along with formal logic. this was the text for formal/symbolic. im real right brained at times but this was an awesome experience.
Fernanda Ribeiro
Apr 30, 2013 Fernanda Ribeiro rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: logic
If you want to start to study logic, this is the book!
Jeremy
Sep 27, 2012 Jeremy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this as a first-semester senior in college with Dr. Bob Taylor. In a class of 40 or so, I was first in the class all semester, and then on the final exam, I forgot to study an entire section, and I dropped down to second.

I can remember sitting there for a minute after the bell had rung to end the exam hour, and I was stuck on a certain problem. Suddenly it just came to me. I went to Dr. Taylor's office after he had graded them, and I had come up with the correct answer.
Argin Gerigorian
Jan 21, 2014 Argin Gerigorian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
One of the best textbooks, Copi and Cohen don't miss a thing.

It is very difficult though since they use a lot of symbols and formulas for logical structures.

Logic is similar to learning a new language whether Spanish or Coding, it takes a lot of practice, something that the authors provide at the end of each chapter.

This book was also highly praised by Greg Bahnsen, he recommends it in almost all of his courses on philosophy or logic.
Jacob Aitken
May 11, 2015 Jacob Aitken rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy, reference
Probably the most universal logic textbook on college campus. It's become a classic at this point. It's hard to justify paying the insane price. Just go for an earlier edition (I used the 9th, which you can find for $2 at amazon, instead of $175). What makes this text unique is its focus on the function of language.
Dan
Dec 30, 2008 Dan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Logic: post-structuralism to the contrary, it's what separates "us" from "them."
Pankhuri
Brilliant !!!
Benandvanessa
Aug 21, 2012 Benandvanessa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yes, I am a geek. This was a textbook. But it's really good!
Jonathan
Apr 07, 2009 Jonathan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The only textbook from college worth keeping!
Arun Mahendrakar
The book begins with an introduction of the very basic terminology - propositions, premises, and conclusions. It might sound very naive to start this low, but it helped me to refer back to the precise definitions of these words while reading through the rest of the chapters.

Written in plain and simple language, the book covers a breadth of concepts from categorization of fallacies to Venn diagrams to necessary and sufficient conditions. Some of these were new to me while others were a pleasant
Christy
Dec 30, 2016 Christy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If I could learn formal logic from Copi, and enough to with Hempel and others to critique social statistics for *not* being deductive and using formal logic enough (my Ph.D. stats prof said he never thought formal logic "got you anywhere..."?) than anybody could learn it from this textbook. (Note: you must get older editions of logic textbooks as the newer ones are all watered-down "baby logic" and cover sometimes as little as half the topics as those classes did 30 years ago.) So goes "decision ...more
Salman Haassan
Km Subhasish
Arthur Kyriazis
May 23, 2016 Arthur Kyriazis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this is one of the basic texts of intro logic which has gone thru many editions and iterations.

it covers aristotelian logic completely as well as syllogisms, then covers mathematical logic, then proceeds to the meat of logic, true false tables and making out logic charts from sentences. modal logics and alternate logics are discussed.

logic is very important if you want to think clearly, be a scientist or attorney, or if you want to be any kind of programmer.

that language is a kind of set of sym
Joan Sebastián Araujo Arenas
Lo que Copi presenta no es sólo una introducción, es un filosofar a martillazos sobre aquellos que desconocíamos todo lo que en estas páginas se explica. Es la piedra en el zapato que, luego de sacarla, resulta ser un diamante. Una herramienta para analizar las argumentaciones de los demás y para formular de mejor forma las nuestras. Aunque, después de todo, lo que buscamos no es la verdad sino la validez.

Lo único que podría criticársele a Copi es que haya colocado la solución de una mínima part
Melissa
Jul 12, 2010 Melissa marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Putting this one aside as it is over-my-head right now. May pick it up again in the middle of the winter when there's not so much other stuff going on and I can focus more....or maybe in a few years when the kids will be ready for it and they can explain it to me.
Leo Romero
Jan 27, 2016 Leo Romero rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
the best introduction to thinking - and source of subsequent thought - by a funny, humble, kind, compassionate, true, philosopher of the people.

Benj Abellera & I miss you, Irving Copi, and shall always be grateful for the edifying elating laughter we shared in Hawaii, leid by you.
Shorabh
this book is really amazing.this book describe everything step by step with lot of examples. this book is for every student who want to understand logical theory and their uses to find out right or wrong sentence. but main problem is that this book not answer all questions this give some of them.
Brent Barnard
Very dense. I didn't quite make it through this book! But I have hope that there are other logic textbooks I'll survive.
Møhşįñ Møhāmmāđ
Varoon Bakshi
Varoon Bakshi rated it really liked it
Dec 17, 2015
Zofishan Batool
Zofishan Batool rated it it was amazing
Oct 23, 2015
Joseph
Joseph rated it really liked it
Jul 12, 2008
Anthony
Anthony rated it it was amazing
Sep 24, 2011
Rock Wolf
Rock Wolf rated it it was amazing
Oct 08, 2013
Edward Mcauley
Edward Mcauley rated it really liked it
Nov 25, 2015
Goodreads Librari...: Merge books please 3 15 Nov 08, 2015 04:05AM
  • Informal Logic: A Handbook for Critical Argument
  • A Concise Introduction to Logic (Book & CD-ROM)
  • With Good Reason: An Introduction to Informal Fallacies
  • Socratic Logic
  • Introduction to Saint Thomas Aquinas
  • The Cambridge Dictionary of Philosophy
  • A Short History Of Ethics: A History Of Moral Philosophy From The Homeric Age To The Twentieth Century
  • Paradoxes
  • Metaphysics
  • A Rulebook for Arguments
  • Logic: An Introduction to Elementary Logic
  • Ten Philosophical Mistakes
  • Logic Made Easy: How to Know When Language Deceives You
  • Socrates to Sartre and Beyond: A History of Philosophy with Free Philosophy Powerweb
  • A History of Philosophy 2: Medieval Philosophy