Start by marking “Introduction to Logic” as Want to Read:
Introduction to Logic

Irving M. Copi

Introduction to Logic

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  326 ratings  ·  24 reviews
This book introduces the fundamental methods & techniques of correct reasoning, in a manner that shows the relevance of the topics to readers everyday lives. Many new exercises introduced in this edition help supplement & support explanations, aid in review & make the book visually stimulating. This book includes many fascinating illustrations taken from the hi ...more
Published April 3rd 1986 by MacMillan Publishing Company (first published 1953)

James
I read an earlier edition, obviously, because this one was published in 2001 and I read it as the text for a logic class in 1982; however, I still have the book in a handy spot on the shelf, which I can't say about any other book from that year, so it's stayed current and useful - a lot of its content is timeless.
This was a great eye-opener for me; I'd always had a skeptical and questioning way of thinking, but often although I'd have a gut sense that something I was hearing (in a commercial, a
Brian
a popular college logic textbook...I enjoyed it so much I've read it almost three times now (I realize I must have issues)
carl
this is a great book from a great time in my life. taking 15 hours of philosophy courses and intro logic along with formal logic. this was the text for formal/symbolic. im real right brained at times but this was an awesome experience.
Fernanda Ribeiro
If you want to start to study logic, this is the book!
Jacob Aitken
Probably the most universal logic textbook on college campus. It's become a classic at this point. It's hard to justify paying the insane price. Just go for an earlier edition (I used the 9th, which you can find for $2 at amazon, instead of $175). What makes this text unique is its focus on the function of language.
Argin Gerigorian
One of the best textbooks, Copi and Cohen don't miss a thing.

It is very difficult though since they use a lot of symbols and formulas for logical structures.

Logic is similar to learning a new language whether Spanish or Coding, it takes a lot of practice, something that the authors provide at the end of each chapter.

This book was also highly praised by Greg Bahnsen, he recommends it in almost all of his courses on philosophy or logic.
Jeremy
Read this as a first-semester senior in college with Dr. Bob Taylor. In a class of 40 or so, I was first in the class all semester, and then on the final exam, I forgot to study an entire section, and I dropped down to second.

I can remember sitting there for a minute after the bell had rung to end the exam hour, and I was stuck on a certain problem. Suddenly it just came to me. I went to Dr. Taylor's office after he had graded them, and I had come up with the correct answer.
Dan
Logic: post-structuralism to the contrary, it's what separates "us" from "them."
Benandvanessa
Yes, I am a geek. This was a textbook. But it's really good!
Jonathan
The only textbook from college worth keeping!
Joan Araujo Arena
Lo que Copi presenta no es sólo una introducción, es un filosofar a martillazos sobre aquellos que desconocíamos todo lo que en estas páginas se explica. Es la piedra en el zapato que, luego de sacarla, resulta ser un diamante. Una herramienta para analizar las argumentaciones de los demás y para formular de mejor forma las nuestras. Aunque, después de todo, lo que buscamos no es la verdad sino la validez.

Lo único que podría criticársele a Copi es que haya colocado la solución de una mínima part
Pankhuri
Brilliant !!!
Mia Butt
logic is the sience and art
Shorabh
this book is really amazing.this book describe everything step by step with lot of examples. this book is for every student who want to understand logical theory and their uses to find out right or wrong sentence. but main problem is that this book not answer all questions this give some of them.
Melissa
Jul 12, 2010 Melissa marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Putting this one aside as it is over-my-head right now. May pick it up again in the middle of the winter when there's not so much other stuff going on and I can focus more....or maybe in a few years when the kids will be ready for it and they can explain it to me.
Brent Barnard
Very dense. I didn't quite make it through this book! But I have hope that there are other logic textbooks I'll survive.
Danny
Good introduction to classical and modern logic. But a pretty dull read.
Rob the Obscure
Not for everyone....(but then, what is?)
Paul
Solid intorduction to logic text.
Brian King
A good introduction to logic.
Esther Navarro
Esther Navarro marked it as to-read
Kristen Drewitz
Kristen Drewitz marked it as to-read
Javeria Naz
Javeria Naz marked it as to-read
Nishawn Rahaman
Nishawn Rahaman marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2015
Arash Ashrafzadeh
Arash Ashrafzadeh marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2015
  • The Cambridge Dictionary of Philosophy
  • A Concise Introduction to Logic (Book & CD-ROM)
  • A History of Philosophy 7: Modern Philosophy
  • A Rulebook for Arguments
  • With Good Reason: An Introduction to Informal Fallacies
  • Socratic Logic
  • Introduction to Saint Thomas Aquinas
  • Socrates to Sartre and Beyond: A History of Philosophy with Free Philosophy Powerweb
  • The Norton Anthology of World Literature, Volume F: The Twentieth Century
  • Metaphysics
  • Logic: An Introduction to Elementary Logic
  • Paradoxes
  • Ressentiment
  • The Brown-Driver-Briggs Hebrew and English Lexicon
  • What Is the Name of This Book?
  • The Frege Reader
  • Ten Philosophical Mistakes
  • The Philosophers Toolkit: A Compendium of Philosophical Concepts and Methods
Symbolic Logic Solutions to exercises in Introduction to logic Essentials of Logic Informal Logic Contemporary Philosophical Logic