Start by marking “Sidney & Norman: A Tale of Two Pigs” as Want to Read:
Sidney & Norman: A Tale of Two Pigs

Sidney & Norman: A Tale of Two Pigs

4.43 of 5 stars 4.43  ·  rating details  ·  67 ratings  ·  14 reviews
A multi-layered tale of two very different pigs that you will find yourself snickering at . . . yet you will find very thought-provoking. Sidney & Norman uses the simple context of two pigs living next door to each other to communicate a profound truth about how we judge each other and often judge ourselves. On the surface, Sidney & Norman appears to be a picture b...more
Published September 1st 2006 by Tommy Nelson (first published August 29th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Sidney & Norman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sidney & Norman

Bonnie
I gave this book as a Christmas present last year. I cleaned the store out. Loved it.
Applehillcottage
This is just about the perfect picture book for Christian parents and teachers to read to their kids. So many Christian kids' books are preachy, cartoonish, or just...um, not high quality. The illustrations by Justin Gerard are wonderfully appropriate, and the pigs are...very much like you and me. Norman is a good pig; Sidney has trouble getting out of bed in the morning. Norman always did well in school and has a good job; Sidney spent many hours in the principal's office and he fears his boss...more
Mrs Bond
Being good seems easy for Norman, he wonders why others don't try hard to be like him. Sidney doesn't have it as easy -- following the rules and keeping to a schedule are big challenges. Although these pigs are neighbors they have never met. Until... one day they each receive an invitation from God. Sidney is fearful, Norman is proud. Both are surprised by what God has to tell them. Beautifully soft illustrations. Author's note includes his personal reasons for writing this story. "Using this bo...more
Missy
A children's book by Phil Vischer (creator of VeggieTales) where 2 pigs, very different from each other, receive invitations to visit God. One approaches the visit with confidence, sure that God must be very proud of him. The other is scared and wonders what God will chastise him for. He remembers all too well the walk to the Principal's office as a student and dreads the visit. Both are surprised at what God tells them and both change their lives and attitudes as a result. A sweet book with les...more
Clarissa
This is one of our traditional "Christmas Eve" books that we get each year for the kids to open on... well, Christmas eve. It is probably one of my favorites. My mom actually found it. The author is also one of the co-creators of VeggieTales (which are hilarious, if you haven't discovered them yet). I love, love, love this story and have used it in lessons for both young women and relief society.
Megan
This book would be best used in a religious setting. I do not think you can use this book in a public school, because it talks about God. I enjoyed this book, because it is a good reminder to us all. However, i do not think I would be allowed to use this book with my students. If you teach at a catholic or Christian school it even has a section in the back, "How to use with kids."
An endearing little story about three things you need to know: 1. God loves you, 2. God loves you, and 3. God loves you. He loves us when we are in a mess and he loves us when we are good, but not because we are good. Being good or having things come easily to you is not a reason to look down on others. Lots of good lessons for kids (and adults) in this charming book.
Debbie
A perfect example of a children's book explaining a very basic concept about God that so many leaders and scholars completely miss.

Don't miss the author notes at the end that explain how the story came about. I thought it was as important as the story itself.
Snorkle
This is a beautifully written book and I would not mind owning it. When you read it, make sure you read the note at the end, it is almost as important as the story itself.
Joy
I know this book was written for children, but it touched me in a profound way. It is full of the grace-filled message that God loves us, faults and all.
Dixie Diamond
I'm not religious--I'm a convinced atheist--but, even with the God part, this is a good message about being yourself and about how you think of others.
Rachel Coyne
Well first of all I like kids books with pig main characters. Nice message as well
Jenny
I loved this children's book. It has a powerful message, and makes for a good FHE.
Children's Department selection. A touching reminder of God's love for all his children.
Kristina Rader
Kristina Rader marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Graham
Graham added it
Aug 03, 2014
Esmeraldagonzalez
Esmeraldagonzalez marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Ayashe
Ayashe marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Phillip Robert Vischer is an American voice actor, puppeteer, writer, animator and songwriter known for creating the animated video series "VeggieTales" with partner and friend Mike Nawrocki.

From 1993 to 2002, Vischer led the company as lead director and writer. In 2003 (after the release of "Jonah") Big Idea went bankrupt, and Vischer sold the company to Classic Media and left the company.

In 2005...more
More about Phil Vischer...
Me, Myself & Bob: A True Story about God, Dreams, and Talking Vegetables 47 Beavers on the Big Blue Sea Bob and Larry's ABC's (Veggiecational Series) Archibald's Opposites A Snoodle's Tale