Start by marking “Sidney & Norman: A Tale of Two Pigs” as Want to Read:
Sidney & Norman: A Tale of Two Pigs

Sidney & Norman: A Tale of Two Pigs

4.55  ·  Rating Details  ·  116 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
A multi-layered tale of two very different pigs that you will find yourself snickering at . . . yet you will find very thought-provoking. Sidney & Norman uses the simple context of two pigs living next door to each other to communicate a profound truth about how we judge each other and often judge ourselves. On the surface, Sidney & Norman appears to be a picture b ...more
Published September 1st 2006 by Tommy Nelson (first published August 29th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Sidney & Norman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sidney & Norman

Kristine Hansen
Oct 07, 2015 Kristine Hansen rated it really liked it
God loves you.

With that simple message a mess of a pig finds hope. A slightly different message for Mr. Self Righteous. Cool illustrations, cool little story.
Bonnie
Sep 23, 2007 Bonnie rated it it was amazing
I gave this book as a Christmas present last year. I cleaned the store out. Loved it.
Applehillcottage
Jan 02, 2013 Applehillcottage rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-great-reads
This is just about the perfect picture book for Christian parents and teachers to read to their kids. So many Christian kids' books are preachy, cartoonish, or just...um, not high quality. The illustrations by Justin Gerard are wonderfully appropriate, and the pigs are...very much like you and me. Norman is a good pig; Sidney has trouble getting out of bed in the morning. Norman always did well in school and has a good job; Sidney spent many hours in the principal's office and he fears his boss ...more
Jen
Mar 05, 2016 Jen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reading-w-kids
Sidney & Norman is a sweet book about two pigs and the God who loves them. Highly recommend - it can spark some good conversations between parents and kids about God, His love, and how we respond to Him.
Emily Cook
Jan 24, 2015 Emily Cook rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
For the the little pharisee, and for the little rumpled troublemaker, this is a fantastic tale of grace for all children.
Mrs Bond
Mar 12, 2009 Mrs Bond rated it really liked it
Being good seems easy for Norman, he wonders why others don't try hard to be like him. Sidney doesn't have it as easy -- following the rules and keeping to a schedule are big challenges. Although these pigs are neighbors they have never met. Until... one day they each receive an invitation from God. Sidney is fearful, Norman is proud. Both are surprised by what God has to tell them. Beautifully soft illustrations. Author's note includes his personal reasons for writing this story. "Using this bo ...more
Missy
Mar 11, 2009 Missy rated it liked it
A children's book by Phil Vischer (creator of VeggieTales) where 2 pigs, very different from each other, receive invitations to visit God. One approaches the visit with confidence, sure that God must be very proud of him. The other is scared and wonders what God will chastise him for. He remembers all too well the walk to the Principal's office as a student and dreads the visit. Both are surprised at what God tells them and both change their lives and attitudes as a result. A sweet book with les ...more
Shelli
Sep 22, 2015 Shelli rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Having grown up in an overly Christian home when Christianity never felt "right" for me I tend to skip over books like this where God is a character and Christian philosophy is a major theme. That being said this tale of compassion and understanding toward others fits in with my beliefs of always striving to be my best self and is a wonderful reminder of that at times forgotten goal.
The Brothers
This is a great book to read to children to showhow great, and wide, and deep God's love is for us. Even if we feel we have it all together and are doing great, God knows of our pridefulness and yet still loves us. Even if we fall apart and can barely make it through the day, God knows of our failures and yet still loves us.

Beautiful illustrations.
Clarissa
Dec 27, 2009 Clarissa rated it it was amazing
This is one of our traditional "Christmas Eve" books that we get each year for the kids to open on... well, Christmas eve. It is probably one of my favorites. My mom actually found it. The author is also one of the co-creators of VeggieTales (which are hilarious, if you haven't discovered them yet). I love, love, love this story and have used it in lessons for both young women and relief society.
Megan
Apr 21, 2012 Megan rated it liked it
This book would be best used in a religious setting. I do not think you can use this book in a public school, because it talks about God. I enjoyed this book, because it is a good reminder to us all. However, i do not think I would be allowed to use this book with my students. If you teach at a catholic or Christian school it even has a section in the back, "How to use with kids."
Sep 21, 2010 Jennifer rated it liked it
Shelves: read-to-kaitlyn
An endearing little story about three things you need to know: 1. God loves you, 2. God loves you, and 3. God loves you. He loves us when we are in a mess and he loves us when we are good, but not because we are good. Being good or having things come easily to you is not a reason to look down on others. Lots of good lessons for kids (and adults) in this charming book.
Debbie
Sep 18, 2011 Debbie rated it it was amazing
A perfect example of a children's book explaining a very basic concept about God that so many leaders and scholars completely miss.

Don't miss the author notes at the end that explain how the story came about. I thought it was as important as the story itself.
Apr 03, 2008 Laura rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
This is a beautifully written book and I would not mind owning it. When you read it, make sure you read the note at the end, it is almost as important as the story itself.
Joy
Jul 09, 2013 Joy rated it it was amazing
I know this book was written for children, but it touched me in a profound way. It is full of the grace-filled message that God loves us, faults and all.
Dixie Diamond
Jan 09, 2009 Dixie Diamond rated it it was amazing
I'm not religious--I'm a convinced atheist--but, even with the God part, this is a good message about being yourself and about how you think of others.
Leila Bowers
Dec 19, 2015 Leila Bowers rated it it was amazing
The kids loved this - especially appropriate for the child who looks good on the outside without dealing with the heart.
Rachel Coyne
Jul 25, 2012 Rachel Coyne rated it really liked it
Well first of all I like kids books with pig main characters. Nice message as well
Jenny
Aug 06, 2008 Jenny rated it it was amazing
I loved this children's book. It has a powerful message, and makes for a good FHE.
May 29, 2008 Laura rated it it was amazing
Children's Department selection. A touching reminder of God's love for all his children.
Peter Metzger
Peter Metzger rated it it was amazing
Jul 28, 2016
Joy
Joy marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2016
Stacy Tate
Stacy Tate rated it it was amazing
Jul 10, 2016
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2016
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2016
Laura marked it as to-read
Krissy
Krissy marked it as to-read
Toni
Toni marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2016
Jennifer Wallace
Jennifer Wallace marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Phillip Robert Vischer is an American voice actor, puppeteer, writer, animator and songwriter known for creating the animated video series "VeggieTales" with partner and friend Mike Nawrocki.

From 1993 to 2002, Vischer led the company as lead director and writer. In 2003 (after the release of "Jonah") Big Idea went bankrupt, and Vischer sold the company to Classic Media and left the company.

In 2005
More about Phil Vischer...