Start by marking “Slow Train to Arcturus” as Want to Read:
Slow Train to Arcturus

Slow Train to Arcturus

3.45 of 5 stars 3.45  ·  rating details  ·  205 ratings  ·  22 reviews
1. Eric Flint has co-written three NYT's best-sellers.

2. Flint's 1632 was a smash hit, with over 95,000 copies sold, and an 88% sell through in mass market from 02/01 to date.

3. Flint and Freer's earlier collaborations have had strong sell throughs, including 76% in mass market from 02/03 to date for their Pyramid Scheme.

4. Freer's A Mankind Witch garnered rave reviews, s
Published October 7th 2008 by Baen (first published October 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Slow Train to Arcturus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Slow Train to Arcturus

On Basilisk Station by David WeberRing of Fire by Eric FlintTorch of Freedom by David WeberBolo! by David WeberThe Service of the Sword by David Weber
Loren's Lost List
22nd out of 51 books — 5 voters
Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C. ClarkeHull Zero Three by Greg BearChasm City by Alastair ReynoldsShip of Fools by Richard Paul RussoOrphans of the Sky by Robert A. Heinlein
Interstellar Ark novels
43rd out of 47 books — 31 voters

More lists with this book...

Ron
An enjoyable aspect of reading--and assumedly writing--science fiction is the opportunity to play "what if". Usually the author changes one variable and spins out what might happen. In Slow Train to Arcturus, Flint and Freer managed to combine a first contact story from the aleins' perspective with five what-if human cultures (based on only slightly exaggerated models from our own time), finally they all collide in a single adventure.

The biggest detractor was their unfortunate tendency to preac
Coyora Dokusho
Read at least (2) times

Quite. Funny.

I went looking for another Freer book and actually hadn't realized that I'd read this one before. Philosophically it's really interesting.

"The Brethren believe that all people have a better nature to appeal to. But I have decided it is not always possible to reach it." - said by Howard

I think it's really similar to my own philosophy of "Everyone can be saved, but *you* can't save everybody." Maybe they're not ready yet, or maybe I'm just not the right person,
Jim
From Publishers Weekly

Flint and Freer's latest collaboration (after 2007's Pyramid Power) doesn't bring anything original to space opera, but its fast pace and pulpy premise make for an engaging if shallow adventure. When a vast relic made up of massive bubbles approaches a star system inhabited by sentient space-faring aliens, a team of researchers is sent to investigate. Soon after the inquisitive aliens enter one of the bubbles, they're attacked by its murderously insane human inhabitants.

Michael Barnette
Aug 25, 2010 Michael Barnette rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: no one
Andreas
Howard is a farmer in a deeply religious, backward society. One day an alien lands in his tomato plants. This starts his journey to discover that his world is actually one of several enormous spherical colony habitats strung like beads on a string. Each habitat contains a different society, all seemingly extreme in some way. Howard is more or less forced to help the alien, who is an explorer from a nearby star that this slowtrain of habitats is passing.

This combination adventure and pilgrimage t
Stephanie
The Story: Earth has found a way to get rid of its misfits and explore the stars at the same time – a ship called a slow train with habitats that will drop off in the habitable zone around a sun and become a new home. When the Mirans, humanoids who have an interesting sexual development cycle, discover the ship as it passes by their solar system, they investigate. What they find is a host of human cultures that range from hostile to primitive and one alien in particular named Kretz, learns much ...more
John Cooley
great book, very interesting idea. The biology and sociology seemed researched and well thought out. Some of the cultures were a little extreme, however that is most likely what would happen in isolation like that. Most of the book flowed very nicely too, however i felt the end was a little abrupt. I'm unsure if the thought here was that maybe there would be a sequel and then changed their mind at the last minute and threw in a ending.
Donna
This is a Nortonesque light scifi novel. The Mirans, on noticing a spaceship approaching their solar system sends a spaceship out to make contact. The ship turns out to be a train of habitat bubbles that Earth has sent out to seed space. Each habitat has its own populace with very different cultures. Unfortunately, the Mirans make contact with the end habitat first. This bubble was settled by Aryans who are militant xenophobes. Their hostile reaction precipitates the rest of the adventure throug ...more
Wes Hanks
Fun hard sci-fi, a study of different species, cultures thrown together.
Mike Kabongo
Love it!
Good science fiction is so hard to find these days. While I love urban fantasy, have mixed feelings about steampunk and read as much as I can, Slow Train is the type of can do fiction I adore most. The main characters come together to beat not some loopy villain, but a lot of the very human handicaps we all wish we didn't have, and of course their battle against time itself. Their is a living breathing baddy or two in the book, but the story is about so much more than that.
Craig
This is a nice old-fashioned sf adventure novel set on a generation-ship, much the kind of thing one would have found in Campbell's ASTOUNDING and written by Eric Frank Russell or Christopher Anvil. The pacing is a little off in spots, but it's humorous and attention-grabbing and altogther a good way to spend a weekend.
Loki
Aug 22, 2008 Loki rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: All
A pleasant exploration of several niche societies in a multiple habitat STL generation ship. The addition of the alien refugee Kretz makes for an excellent linking plot to bring all the separate parts together.

It's fluff, and a bit too fond of the "Frontier Theory" of history, but fun all the same.
Nathan
David Freer does an amazing job of exploring what happens to both human societies and ecosystems when they become isolated, and how those societies can look from both another human society's perspective and from those of an alien culture.

Very well done, and a very good read.

Jo  (Mixed Book Bag)
I was slow to warm up to this book but after the first two chapters I had trouble putting it down. This is Science Fiction with good writing, great description, likable aliens, good and bad humans and a great plot. The further I read the more I like to book.
Will
Jul 20, 2012 Will rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: sci-fi
Decent book from these two authors. It's not as chuckle-worthy as the Rats, Bats and Vats books, but well done with some good research into the scientific and sociological constructs.
Michael
A great read about a new approach to how mankind may someday explore the stars. Also mankind as seen from an alien's viewpoint.
Cheryl
A really interesting idea that could have benefitted by having an editor. Not great, but not bad either.
Liviu

Fast and easy read; funny and over the top at times, but a page turner. Popcorn sf at its best.
Tania Shipman
I enjoyed this book. It's not my favourite Dave Freer book but I enjoyed it.
Brandon
Started reasonably strong and then did not finish that way.
Bill
Much better than I expected, fun read.
Mark
Gave up 100 pages in. Boring.
John Adkins
John Adkins marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Andrea Haas
Andrea Haas marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
Biltung
Biltung marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Night of Power
  • Sleipnir
  • John the Balladeer (Silver John)
  • Stars Over Stars (Heyoka Blackeagle, #2)
  • Starfarers
  • The Wizard of Karres (The Witches of Karres, #2)
  • The Rise and Fall of a Dragon King (Dark Sun: Chronicles of Athas, #5)
  • Changer of Worlds (Worlds of Honor, #3)
  • Bedlam Boyz (Bedlam's Bard, #3)
  • Pyramid Scheme (Pyramid, #1)
  • Digital Knight
  • When the Tide Rises (Lt. Leary, #6)
Eric Flint is a New York Times bestselling American author, editor, and e-publisher. The majority of his main works are alternate history science fiction, but he also writes humorous fantasy adventures.
More about Eric Flint...
1632 (Assiti Shards, #1) 1633 1634 The Baltic War (Assiti Shards, #5) 1634: The Galileo Affair (Assiti Shards, #3) In the Heart of Darkness (Belisarius, #2)