Start by marking “Dead Gorgeous” as Want to Read:
Dead Gorgeous

Dead Gorgeous

When the mysterious stranger shows up at Nova's parents' hotel, she thinks her luck has changed - until she realizes she's the only one who can see him.

Liam explains he's been here a long time. And he can never leave, no matter how hard he tries.

Soon, Nova begins to piece his tragic story together. But she's hiding a secret of her own - one she's desperate to keep from h

Published August 7th 2002 by Doubleday Childrens

While Malorie Blackman is a very well-established and popular YA author in the UK, the same cannot be said here stateside and frankly it's a crime. Ms. Blackman writes the kind of multicultural YA that many of us who bemoan the serious lack of diversity in this genre have been looking for. Yes, she tackles the hard stuff--her Naughts and Crosses series takes a dystopian view of racism and reverses it--but she also handles such issues without being heavy-handed and preachy.

Dead Gorgeous is the st
Apr 27, 2016 Clare rated it it was amazing
It was the first book I read on my own and the reason I have carried on reading ever since. I read it in year 7 when I was still in school and now I'm 25. I think it is worth a read because it is a brilliant story.
Cherrie Walker
Oct 25, 2016 Cherrie Walker rated it liked it
For more reviews and book related videos:

*3.5 stars*

I enjoyed it, it was easy to get into and I didn't feel like it slowed at all but it is definitely meant for a younger reader as I could see what was coming chapters before it happened but I think maybe a younger reader would enjoy it a lot more.
I liked the characters and I liked that the book touched on some delicate subjects as well
Emily Ross
This books revolves around a thirteen year old girl called Nova, who lives at a seaside beach hotel with her older sister Rainbow (or Raye), her younger twin brothers (Jude and Jake(?)) and her parents. Also inhabiting the hotel are guests, such as Andrew and his parents, Miss Eve and Miss Dawn, Mr. Jackson and his ghost brother Liam, who only one of the twins and Nova can see when he's a ghost. During periods of heightened emotions, others around him can see him as well, such as in the case of ...more
Sophie Dusting
Apr 01, 2012 Sophie Dusting rated it liked it

"That boy she'd seen - that ghost she'd seen - was he real or was she still asleep and dreaming the whole thing or was she imagining things?" (Pg. 49/50).

Nova feels invisible; her older sister doesn't want to spend time with her and her parents are too focused on running their hotel. That is until she meets Liam; a dead gorgeous teenager. The trouble is he is actually dead and Nova is the only one who can see him.

'He's got looks. He's got attitude. Why doesn't he just get a life?'

May 28, 2016 Selan rated it it was ok
Shelves: teenage
Before I say anything, it should be stated that one of the main characters has an eating disorder and this is mentioned in detail. There's no warning of it, no indication of it (especially considering that the rest of the book isn't anywhere near as serious), so avoid if that makes you icky. I know some people will avoid that.

Somehow, I think that's the only reason why this book was in the teenager section at all. The rest of the book feels a bit trashy. Even though Malorie Blackman wrote it. I
Mar 30, 2013 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Amy by: Char
Shelves: british, fantasy-ya
4.5 Stars

I reviewed this on my blog as part of Malorie Blackman month- during March 2013 reviews are of books by her- click here for them all- you can see the GIF's that aren't included in the review there!

So, firstly... I recommended it to those anti-crapping-pants people pretty much... So does this mean that it's not realistic enough to be scary? HAHA.
No. It could be considered scary but more the sub-genres... Miss Dawn & Miss Eve *shudders* Malorie can fantastically create characters who
Jane Hargrave Montaigu

The novel’s catchy title sets the scene with a clever pun –Liam is a teenage ghost who is head-turning gorgeous and starts to appear to the main character, a girl called Nova, aged around 13. She lives by the sea at Phoenix Manor Hotel which is owned and run by her rather harassed but well-meaning parents. Once she has overcome her initial fright at realizing she is seeing a ghost she tries to help Liam while he in turn becomes concerned for her well-being as he discovers she is secretly bulimic
Margaret McCulloch-Keeble
Sep 25, 2016 Margaret McCulloch-Keeble rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
An excellent young adult's story with many layers running through it......ghosts, humour, teenage angst, eating disorders.....the language and characterisations are believable and not at all patronising.
Marie Therese
Sep 06, 2012 Marie Therese rated it it was amazing
I decided to review the book Dead gorgeous as an avid fan of Malorie Blackman’s work as a teenager growing up. My favourite book was Noughts and crosses growing up however I believe this a story for early secondary school children as it covers a lot of deep meaning aspects of society as a whole. Therefore I decided to review a book that catered for a younger audience. The summary of the book is a young girl called Nova who feels isolated and left out due to her family’s business and sister who i ...more
Jun 07, 2015 Helen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a quick easy read, and I quite enjoyed it, but still felt it didn't live up to Blackman's hype. I really must read Noughts & Crosses.
Dead Gorgeous did keep me engaged, and kept me guessing on several scores. At one point I was almost convinced that ALL the guests were ghosts! I had my doubts about Miss Dawn and Miss Eve even at the end.
Curiously enough, I couldn't find the edition I read listed. The ISBN matches the cover above, but the cover of the one I read was very different. In
Legend That is dylan disaster
Mar 28, 2008 Legend That is dylan disaster rated it really liked it
I really liked this book (: Only took me a day or so to read, but that's cause when I get into a book - I really get into it! The story was interesting, didn't quite get what the two women were for, didn't see much use for them but anyway. I loved the N&C trilogy and this book was good but not nearly half as good as the trilogy!!
It was nice how different people told different stories, and how eventually Liams past tied in with the present and even though it wasnt at great as N&C i'd sti
May 20, 2016 Nova rated it really liked it
This is the first ghost story I have ever read (I think). it was a very enjoyable read about a family who had purchased an old manor, refurbished it into a hotel and was trying to run a successful business. However, English weather being what it is means holiday makers prefer to go abroad. Enter Liam, who has personal issues from the past to resolve and Andrew, a spoilt teenage guest. They get involved in the lives of the family members and an odd, permanent guest. This book is about sibling riv ...more
Aug 15, 2015 thelastword rated it it was ok
Not a book for all ages I'm afraid. Starts of gobsmackingly childish. Made me question my acknowledgement of Malorie Blackman as a emotive writer (perhaps I had read Noughts and Crosses when I was too young?)

Nonetheless, it sorta picks up towards the end, where some characters are given layers. And that's about it really. Maybe kids who think 24 year olds are granpa-old will enjoy this. Definitely not YA.
Jun 30, 2011 Temple rated it really liked it
Shelves: favourites
" One of the best authors in my opinion and I love this book just as much as her Noughts and Crosse's series"

Nova wow girl has problems I dont see why she would want to be like hwer older sister Rye when she's clearly a #$%^& but who care's I dont think I could stand there and have a conversation with a ghost.
A good read, nothing particularly outstanding, nor a particularly dull book. The plot was well written, and the characters were not too annoying either. I don't really know what to make of the book - it was just good filler read, but not fantastic in my opinion.
Mariam K
Jul 26, 2015 Mariam K rated it liked it
*nods* nice. no really. it's pretty cool. looking for a different edge on the paranormal genre? try this.
includes mentions of mental illness and eating disorders
Hazel McHaffie
Jan 24, 2014 Hazel McHaffie rated it liked it
Another teen book about a eating disorder. This one's also ghost story. Blackman's won plenty of awards - it's not her fault her writing isn't for me.
Not as good as some of her other books (Noughts and Crosses). Some heavyweight themes are brought up and then never go anywhere.
Apr 26, 2011 Holly marked it as to-read
Shelves: fantasy, fiction, kids
Why I want to read this book: I saw it in the library and it looks interesting from what I can see :)
Joycelyn Manu
Joycelyn Manu rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2013
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Jun 12, 2010
Ruth rated it liked it
Aug 11, 2013
Jay Smit
Jay Smit rated it did not like it
Aug 22, 2012
Amz rated it liked it
Nov 11, 2014
Liam Wilson
Liam Wilson rated it liked it
Sep 23, 2013
Olivia rated it liked it
Nov 11, 2008
Lauren :-)
Lauren :-) rated it it was ok
Dec 14, 2009
Alix rated it liked it
Jan 16, 2014
Abbie rated it liked it
Oct 25, 2011
  • Bindi Babes (Bindi Babes, #1)
  • Open Heart (Farsighted, #2)
  • Armored (The Té-trad Tale, #1)
  • Desire (London Brown, #1)
  • Destiny's Bastard
  • Complicated By You (Coventon Campus, #1)
  • Fading Amber (The Cambion Chronicles, #3)
  • Still the One (The Second Time Around, #2)
  • Sage Carrington, Eighth-Grade Science Sleuth
  • What the Earl Desires (Rakes and Rogues, #1)
  • Into the Vampire City (The Human Revolt)
  • Princeless #1
  • Love Runes (Gods and Chaos, #2)
  • Lying with Scorpions (Memory of Scorpions, #2)
  • Neutral Mask (Jasper Dent, #0.6)
  • A Song for Bijou
  • Neverlove (Shadow Jumpers, #1)
  • The Demon's Parchment (Crispin Guest, #3)
An award-winning children's author, Malorie Blackman was honoured with an OBE in 2008. Her work has been adapted for TV and stage.

More information available at:
British Council: Contemporary Authors
British Council: Encompass Culture
Channel 4 Learning: Book Box
More about Malorie Blackman...